• Published 24th Sep 2012
  • 1,556 Views, 39 Comments

The New Generation - Star Plasma



Celestia and Luna have passed on. Cadence and Shining Armor now rule Equestria.

  • ...
4
 39
 1,556

Prologue: The Ultimate Sacrifice

Princess Celestia panted heavily as she stared her opponent down. A cocky draconequus returned the stare, showing no sign of injury or fatigue from the battle. Celestia's eyes shifted to the right. Her sister's body lay on the ground a few feet away. Discord let out a harsh burst of laughter.

"Soon you will join your sister, Celestia! I know that you cannot hold on much longer. This field of battle will be your grave..." Discord said confidently. Princess Celestia staggered a little as a sudden wave of exhaustion forced it's way through her body. This caused Discord to laugh again.

"See, Princess? Soon you will be no more, and Equestria will be mine for the taking!" Discord shrieked, raising his arms up to the skies as a lightning bolt flashed through the sky. Princess Celestia sighed tiredly; if only Discord would just die! Every time he was defeated by the Elements of Harmony, he would just turn into a statue. Just a slab of stone to imprison a being as powerful as Discord. Then somepony would always come along and manage to release him somehow. This time, it was none other than her stupid nephew Blueblood. He had always been a mistake in Celestia's eyes, and would continue to be a mistake for the rest of his life.

"You will not win this battle, Discord." Celestia stated matter-of-factly. The expression on Discord's face turned into one of pure disbelief.

"B-but look at you!" Discord blustered. Celestia had to be bluffing. She was in no condition to be making such statements. Indeed, Celestia was aware of her appearance. She knew that Discord was right. She knew that she could not win this battle without paying a heavy price. The Sun Princess glanced at her sister's ragged form lying on the ground. The dark princess' flank rose up and down weakly, and her royal blood flowed out through many wounds. Suddenly, Celestia felt a drop of water rolling down her face.

Celestia looked up. Was it raining? No. Discord only made the sky filled with lighting clouds. Celestia brought a hoof up to her face shakily. She wiped the drop of water off of her cheek. Celestia had promised herself several times that she would never let anypony or anything harm her sister. And now this had happened. Celestia had almost forgotten that she was able to produce liquid from her tear ducts in a gesture called "crying". The last time she had cried was when she banished her sister to the moon.

Celestia knew that there was no hope. She had to use her last resort. Luna's bedraggled shape started to shift slightly. The Princess of the Night groaned in agony as she lifted her head off of the ground. First she looked at Discord, then she looked towards her sister. Luna's eyes widened as she saw the condition Celestia was in. "Sister..." she began.

"Hush, Luna. Save your breath." Celestia replied to her sister while glaring at Discord. Why doesn't he just die already?! Wiping the rest of her tears away, Celestia became aware of a newfound strength within herself. Her sorrow and love for her sister had made a solid impact on Celestia's condition. It was all Discord's fault. She wanted to kill him. Bad. Celestia just wanted it to be over forever. She wanted Discord to die so that way he would never rise again. Celestia stood up taller, and stared at Discord with unmasked hatred in her eyes.

"You will not win this battle." Celestia repeated. This time, Discord laughed openly.

"You're a fool, Celestia. I knew you were foolish, but I didn't think you were this foolish!" Discord exclaimed, snapping his fingers on his clawed hand. Celestia winced as the chaotic draconequus appeared right in front of her face. Discord grabbed Celestia's chin.

"Look into my eyes, princess. Do you see any doubt there?" Discord asked while gazing at Celestia evenly. Celestia obeyed, and she saw the hunger and confidence in Discord's eyes. Celestia fired a ball of fire from her horn, but Discord was gone before the fireball even left her horn. Celestia froze as she heard whispering in her ears. "Do what you want, princess, you will never defeat me now..." Discord's voice wafted by Celestia's ears. Celestia quickly spun around and saw Discord lounging by Luna. One of his elbows rested on Luna's flank where her lung was.

"Come join us!" Discord beckoned, jabbing his elbow into Luna's side. The latter gasped out in pain as the breath was forced from her lungs. Discord chuckled. "You two were more powerful a thousand years ago! There's no point in prolonging your deaths any longer. Prepare to meet your doom!" Celestia had been thinking for a while, and she knew she had to do it. It was the only way to save her kingdom. Just as Discord fired a beam of darkness from his paw, Celestia teleported to her sister's side. Discord swung around and fired another beam. By the time it reached the spot where Luna was a moment before, Celestia had already teleported a decent distance away. The two sisters were still in Discord's attack range, however.

"Close your eyes and look away." Celestia commanded her sister. There was no need; Luna's eyes were already closed, and she was starting to lose consciousness. Celestia focused her power in her horn for one of her most useful strategies. Just as Discord caught sight of them and raised his paw to launch another beam, Celestia's magic was ready. Celestia closed her eyes and let out an agonizing bellow. That was the downside of this strategy: it required a massive amount of energy to work.

Discord stared in shock as a ball of light as bright as the sun itself blasted over the landscape they were battling on. Discord screeched in pain as the light penetrated his pupils. Discord opened his eyes, but was still blinded by the intense burst of light. Discord quickly cloaked one of his paws in darkness and brought them up to his eyes. This was sure to neutralize the effects of the light. Celestia knew she had to act quickly. She touched her horn to Luna's, and transferred some of her power over. Luna opened her eyes. "W-what happened?" she asked with a quavering voice.

"Discord is too powerful." Celestia began solemnly. "We have to do it. It's the only way to save our kingdom." she told her sister. Luna gasped in shock.

"B-but that means..." Luna trailed off. Celestia shook her head.

"I know. But it has to be done. Discord is just too powerful. I love you, Luna. We'll see eachother again, I'm sure of it." Celestia answered her sister, trying her best to hide her doubts. Luna burst into tears, and Celestia hugged her. Both of the sisters let loose with their emotions, their cries muffled by eachother's flanks.

"Come on now, sister, before Discord recovers." Celestia said, choking back her tears. Discord had began to open his eyes cautiously, hoping that the blindness had worn off. Luna got to her hooves, and wiped her tears away. Celestia knew that she would see her sister again.

This is for Twilight Sparkle, her friends, and every being in Equestria.

The two sisters focused their power in their horns and crossed them. This was their final attempt at defeating Discord. If this failed, then Equestria would be doomed forever. The two sister's lives would be over, but it would be worth it. The beings of the world would be able to live in harmony with eachother.

Discord had managed to expel the blindness from his eyes, and he was now staring at the two sisters. They had their horns crossed together, and there was a powerful aura emanating from them. He knew he would be doomed if they were able to attack with it.

Not if I can help it, Discord thought, forming a ball of mass destruction in his paws.

Celestia knew her life would be over after this, but for now, she cried as she reminisced in her memories. She remembered the days when Twilight was still a little filly, cuddled under Celestia's wing as she read a book to her star pupil, she remembered when Twilight conducted a chemistry project and nearly blew up the castle, she remembered taking care of a filly Luna, her beautiful young eyes staring with admiration at her older sister, and she remembered first battling with Discord when she was at the peak of her power. There was just so much that had happened in Celestia's life. Unfortunately, the princess could not reminisce in all of it. Their attack was ready. Celestia opened her eyes, fresh tears flowing freely down her face. Goodbye, world. Fare you well.

Discord's energy ball grew larger still, but he ceased it's growth as he saw a strange light form around the two princesses. The power contained within was unfathomable. Discord knew this was the end of him, but he refused to go down without a fight. He launched the ball of energy at the sphere of power surrounding the two princesses. Yes, yes! Discord thought as the ball flew towards the energy sphere. His sense of triumph soon faded as the ball was bounced into the atmosphere harmlessly. Discord hoped it would hit a pegasus at least. A loud cracking sound drew Discord's attention back to the princesses. The sphere had begun to expand outward rapidly, destroying everything in it's wake. There were energy blasts being expelled from it, spiraling around as the ball swirled rapidly. Discord knew that he couldn't teleport far enough to get away quickly enough; so Discord closed his eyes and braced himself for death.

Celestia opened her eyes after the power faded from her horn. She felt so hollow and empty now. A weariness like no other consumed her body, and it felt like every bone in her body was broken. Celestia did not doubt that she was dying. Celestia searched for her sister, but the place where Luna's horn had joined hers was now nothing but a fading glimmer in the shape of a pony. Celestia surveyed the landscape. It was now ravaged and torn to bits. There was no doubt in Celestia's mind that Discord had been defeated. She could no longer feel his presence. She could die happily, knowing that the safety of Equestria was assured now that Discord was gone. Celestia smiled as she felt her hooves begin to fade. She knew that she would see her sister after she had moved on from this world.

Celestia now felt more of her body vanish, on it's way to the next world. Soon she would join the rest of her body. Sparkles began to rise up from beneath her as her body faded. Celestia knew that her time was up. Goodbye, Twilight Sparkle. Celestia shed another tear before she was gone from the world completely. The teardrop hit the ground quietly, marking the spot where the glorious Sun Princess had given her life for the good of her kingdom.