• Published 5th Dec 2022
  • 607 Views, 30 Comments

And You Said Yes - Vivid Syntax



While preparing for a sad celebration, Fashion Plate and Rivet reminisce about a lifetime of happiness.

  • ...
10
 30
 607

And Most of All, Love

A white, puffy cloud rolled in from the east. It broke apart as it hit a mountaintop, then dissipated into invisible vapor.

The stallions lingered beneath their tree.

Rivet swallowed. His mouth was dry. He was sweaty, but he resolved not to complain.

Over the course of his story, Fashion Plate had deflated in Rivet’s hooves. His breathing was shallow. He looked sleepy. "Papa Bear?"

"Yeah?" Rivet whispered. He clung to Fashion Plate with stiff forelegs and found he couldn't blink.

Fashion Plate rubbed Rivet's fetlock with a hoof. "Keep a secret?"

Rivet bent down and kissed the top of his husband’s head. "Yeah."

"You must promise not to freak out." He furrowed his eyebrows.

There was a long pause. A small bird darted by, snatching a bug from the air. "I'll do my best."

Fashion Plate took a long, shuddering breath. "I'm scared, Papa Bear."

Rivet was a statue. "I know." His eyes were too full of tears to take in the scenery anymore. "And I'm… I'm angry at myself that I can't help."

Fashion Plate turned his head to the side and kissed Rivet’s shoulder. "You're doing everything, love. You’ve done everything.”

A slight breeze cooled Rivet’s forehead. “It doesn’t feel like enough.”

“Then let me put it this way: we’ve done everything.” Fashion Plate caught his breath. “We met, fell in love, we have a beautiful family, and you’ve made an old stallion happy. That’s really all there is. Well, almost." He coughed up some phlegm, hocked, and spit faraway on the ground, like Rivet had shown him how to years ago. “Is my camera nearby?”

“Yeah, it’s right here.” He shifted and started to reach a hoof. “I’ll–”

“I’ve got it, love.” Fashion Plate’s horn flickered with a golden light. The camera was enveloped in the same glow. For a moment, it didn’t move. Fashion Plate grunted, and the camera floated into the air, shaky. “I was hoping to do a hillside portrait at golden hour, but I think I’ll like this composition better.”

Rivet watched as the camera floated in front of them. He drew a sharp breath. “Shoot, my mane’s a mess.” He reached up. “Lemme–”

“As you are, love.” He set a light, bony foreleg on Rivet’s thigh. “I want you as you are. That’s enough for me.”

Rivet swallowed. He felt every little hair that was out of place, from the gnarled fibers at the top of his mane to the matted streaks under his eyes.

Fashion Plate forced himself to sit back up, then he leaned back into his husband’s chest. “Now think about how much I love you.”

For just a second, Rivet felt his shoulders relax. He felt the sun’s rays, the sticky embrace of the summer air, and all the colors of the universe wash over him. He felt the warm pony, held tight in his grasp, and his chest felt full for the first time in days. He smiled.

Chk-bvvd.

Fashion Plate quietly clapped his hooves together. For a moment, his rickety, cracking voice shone with the energy of his youth. “Stupendous! Marvelous! Inconceivably incredible!” He shivered again and rubbed his back against Rivet. “Use that one, Papa Bear. It’s perfect.”

The camera spat out the photo, a gray square on the glossy paper, and the image began to take form.

Rivet chuckled. “You haven’t even seen it yet.”

“No need. I told you: I put everything I am into every photo.” He tilted his head back to look up at Rivet. “And right now, even if it’s scary, I feel completely safe. It’ll come through in the picture, and that’s what I want you and the kids to remember me like.”

Fashion Plate turned his head and allowed the magic of his horn to slowly fade. On the grass next to them, the camera and the photo came to rest.

“I’ll take good care of it,” Rivet whispered. “Now, you need to stretch your legs. Get the blood flowing again.”

Fashion Plate held onto his smile, even as his eyes darted between his husband and the grass.

“I’ve got a little of your favorite whiskey. I know the nurses said you shouldn’t, but… heh. Well, they’re not here, right?”

Fashion Plate looked up at his husband with dreamy eyes.

Rivet paused. His chest felt tight. “Hon, would you like me to turn you around? Give you a boost?”

“Love, I…” Fashion Plate took a moment. He ensured he was making eye contact. “It’s okay. I… don’t think I’m standing up again.”

Rivet’s throat sealed up, and his head felt like a helium balloon. He shook his head. “Nonsense.” He looked all around. “There’s a flat patch over there. I’ll be your crutch. I can keep the blanket draped over us, and–”

“Rivet.”

He stopped moving, then slowly looked back to the frail, blue stallion in his embrace.

Fashion Plate drew a long, rattling breath. “I want to stay here with you.”

Rivet replied immediately. “Then I’ll never leave.”

“Heh. Don’t get carried away.” Fashion Plate leaned to the side and rested his head on Rivet’s shoulder. His words were breathy. “Just… keep going with the stories. It’s comforting.”

Rivet took in every detail he could: the way Fashion Plate’s mane still smelled like scented pomade, how his lithe body draped across him like a silk curtain, the way his dazzling fur still looked so healthy… He wished a photo could capture it all. “What, uh… What do you want to hear about?”

“Hm…” Fashion Plate’s eyes fluttered closed. “How about the road trip?”

Rivet stifled a laugh. “I thought you wanted happy memories?”

“We were happy at the end, and it’s a good story, right?”

Rivet sighed. He kissed his husband’s ear. “Anything for you, Sparkles.”

+++++++++++++++

It started out just like we’d planned. We dropped Spotlight off at the Manehattan Technical University for the Arts on her first college weekend. The orientation ceremony felt a little bloated with speakers and music, but Spot loved every minute of it. She kept eyeing the techs working the sound boards and overhead lights, and she was bold enough to introduce herself to her Intro to Theater Tech professor the first chance she got. Oh, she was already flourishing, Sparkles. Our goodbye was still painful, but seeing her so excited made it bearable, and I think we handled it well.

You were… an absolute puddle… of a pony, love.

And that’s pretty good for me. You shuffled me out the door with a gentle, “Let’s go, Papa Bear, before they need to put up a ‘slippery when wet’ sign. Taxi!”

We had it all planned out: a celebratory trip across Equestria, just the two of us. Boating in Baltimare, sightseeing in Canterlot, a bed and breakfast experience in Ponyville, and hiking through the Macintosh Mountains during a stay in Appleloosa. It was going to be a chance to reconnect with each other, just the two of us. A way to celebrate our family’s success.

A way… to stave off… the empty nest syndrome.

Right. I would have flooded the condo with tears if we’d gone straight back home. But we had our luggage, we piled into the first taxi that stopped, and we headed for the train station. We were dodging rush hour, thank Celestia, but, well, it was still traffic in Manehattan.

It gave us time to collect ourselves, though. You kept your hoof on my thigh the whole ride, and when we were a few blocks away, we finally struck up the conversation. You kissed my cheek. “Think you’ll take that foreman contract down on Ninth, or wait for something a little less intense?”

I laughed. “Changing the subject already?”

That dazzling smile flashed across your face. “If you’re still waiting for me to be subtle after three decades, then you’re even thicker than I thought.”

“Heh heh.” I bumped my forehead into your cheek, then growled in your ear, “But I heard you like ‘em thick.”

“Indeed I do!” You jerked your head towards the cab driver. “But let’s not weird out the normies, love. Not until after we pay him, at least.”

The cabbie’s ears swiveled forward.

I winked at you. “Well, as soon as I get you alone, I’ll–” The cab lurched. “Bah!” I bit my tongue. “Dammit!” You clung to me as the cab rocked.

Some jerk has side-swiped us and dashed through a stop sign, but he was long gone by the time our cabbie started cursing him out. The cabbie turned to us and tried to smile. “Sorry, gentlecolts. You okay? Aw, shoot, I’ll grab your luggage.”

You cocked an eyebrow. “Our luggage?” You looked behind us and gasped, and your glasses fell off your face. “Ah! My hoof-tailored Luca Lapony blue linen!”

My blood ran cold, and I turned to see that your suitcase had gotten jostled out of the cab and flown open. Your clothes were everywhere, and your best dress shirt was getting run over.

“I got it, hon,” I said, unbuckling myself. The cabbie yelled at me to stay in the cab, but he was taking his sweet time unhitching himself. I told myself I was a safe pony. I looked both ways, and I knew how to handle work in heavy-traffic areas. I saw all the cabs racing by, the stop lights, the little dangers everywhere, and I was confident I could get it all without getting injured.

What I didn’t see was that the little step at the side of the cab had been folded in.

“Gah!” I yelled as I tumbled and landed face first on the pavement. Thinking quick, I hopped up to avoid getting hit by another carriage, but I gritted my teeth and drew a sharp breath as soon as I set weight on my right forehoof. “Dammit!”

“Rivet, it’s fine!” you protested. “Get back in here! It’s alright!”

The cabbie screamed at me to get inside, but in my mind, I was committed. Injury or no, I would get that shirt, because it was important to you. Deep down, I knew it was just a piece of clothing and you wanted me to be safe, but we were starting a new adventure, and, well, I wanted to be your knight in shining armor.

Love…

I looked again. That cabbie had a lot of words for me, but he was still trying to unhitch himself. I swung around the back during a break in traffic and threw your other clothes back into your suitcase. Then I looked, and your shirt was right there, just out of reach, and–

Rivet?

…Yeah? What is it, honey?

I’m… sorry to interrupt.

It’s no problem, Sparkles. What’s wrong?

I… I think it’s happening.

+++++++++++++++

Rivet’s jaw trembled. Despite the warmth of their quilt, his blood ran cold. He looked down at his husband, his partner for over half a century, lying across his lap and taking vanishingly shallow breaths. Rivet choked back tears and whispered, “Please… no…”

Fashion Plate’s shoulder moved slightly. It may have been a shrug or a spasm. “Have to… I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s…” Rivet’s mind spun. He thought back to the pamphlets, the books, the advice from the doctors, anything to guide him. He remembered what Fashion Plate had told him to remind him of, and he took a deep breath. Evenly, he said, “Sparkles, I love you more than the whole world.” He sniffled and swallowed some snot. It all felt so small and inadequate. “The world is so much more beautiful with you in it, and your family… We’re…”

Fashion Plate rolled his head to the side a few inches and looked up. He looked so, so tired.

Rivet cleared his throat and wiped a tear on his shoulder. “The kids will be okay. We’ll remember you forever. And they’ve all got something to remember you by.”

Fashion Plate tilted his head. With a tiny whisper, he said, “Give Spotlight my camera.” His words had begun to slur.

Rivet mouthed, “I will,” but no sound came out.

“Thank you.” Fashion Plate took a massive breath, and Rivet held his. Fashion Plate resumed his slow breathing.

“W-w…” Rivet bit the inside of his cheek and told himself to focus. It all felt too fast. His brain raced: what had gone wrong? Was it the dancing? The wine? His body screamed at him to do something, but the more he tried to move, to think, to do anything, the faster time seemed to go. “What do you need, my love?”

“Haha…” Fashion Plate hugged Rivet’s foreleg with his chin. “I don’t need anything, love.” He wheezed. “I got to… have it all. But I… guess I want one thing.” His ear flicked. “Two things.” He blinked, looked up at Rivet, and smirked. “Well… let’s start with three, and… see how it goes.”

Rivet half-laughed, half-sobbed, and softly pet Fashion Plate’s silky mane. “Anything.”

“I want a kiss. Make… it count.”

Rivet didn’t hesitate. For a moment, he let himself give in, and he lifted Fashion Plate’s face. He leaned down and kissed him deeply, hard, letting himself get lost in the feeling of his lover’s lips. The soft way their mouths intertwined, the warmth of their faces pressed together, the cheeky nibble Fashion Plate gave Rivet’s lower lip when he let his guard down. Rivet poured himself into his kiss, hoping with every part of his heart that Fashion Plate knew how much he was loved.

And finally, he pulled away, stifling a sob.

Fashion Plate’s eyes gleamed. With his weak voice, he said, “Stunningly superb!”

Rivet brought Fashion Plate’s head to his chest, and he kissed his mane. “What else?”

Fashion Plate was silent.

“H-honey?”

“Sorry… Kiss took my breath away.” They shared a tiny chuckle, and Fashion Plate said, “I want you to look at me… and tell me you’ll be okay. And mean it.”

Rivet’s chest shook. He dug deep into himself, telling himself to stay strong, but the truth of his heart leapt from his mouth. “If I do that, you’ll go.”

Fashion Plate barely shook his head. “I’m going either way, love. Please.”

Rivet tried to say something. He tried so hard, but he just looked away.

And at his side, lying in the grass, he saw a camera and a fully-developed photo. The photo showed two ponies, madly in love, with the light of the sun on their smiling, calm, wrinkled faces. They held each other close, wrapped in an ancient quilt and the memories of the lifetime they had shared. They were two ponies that had seen so much, built so much, including a family that would still need him when one of those ponies couldn't be there anymore.

Rivet felt his heart swell. There was so much of his husband left in the world, scattered across all the ponies whose lives he’d touched, and it was up to him to ensure the legacy lived on. But how could he? He took a deep breath and mumbled, “I’ll be okay.”

“Lemme see.”

Rivet looked back to Fashion Plate and helped his husband turn his head, so that they could face each other. Fashion Plate’s eyes were glassy and unfocused, but somehow, Rivet felt more seen than he ever had in his life. There was a calm on his husband’s face. There were no tears, just the look of a satisfied pony that had everything he ever wanted right in front of him.

Rivet looked at him. He looked deeply into those wide, beautiful eyes and remembered their children, their home, and their lives together. And he thought about all the gifts that his wonderful husband had given him: companionship, guidance, fun, touch, experiences, a love that he could carry with him forever, and so much more. And even in this wonderful pony’s final days, he had worked so hard to ensure Rivet would not be left to suffer. Rivet doubted he could go on, but he trusted his Sparkles. His husband believed in him, so Rivet silently promised to believe in himself, too. He promised to choose happiness, and he once again felt love bloom in his heart.

Rivet took a deep breath, then nodded down at his husband and said, “I’ll be okay, Sparkles. Y…” He felt his whole world slipping from his hooves, but he promised, “You can go. I’ll be okay.”

Fashion Plate smiled. “I believe you. And I’ll be waiting for you. But… Heh. No rush.”

“Heh.” Rivet grasped for words, but there were none.

Fashion Plate settled his head onto Rivet’s leg. He closed his eyes. He could only speak a few words at a time. “Last thing. I want… my final thoughts… to be happy.” Rivet felt some drool escape Fashion Plate’s mouth and roll down his leg. “Tell me your… absolute favorite story. And don’t… don’t skimp on the details.” He swallowed hard. “And keep going. They…” He let out a big breath. “They say I’ll… still have a few moments after it… after it all stops.”

Rivet shuddered. He saw the love of his life spread across his lap, and despite all the uncertainty, here was a pony that just wanted to relive the happiest day of his life. “Of course, darling.”

“Hm…” Fashion Plate’s shoulders relaxed. “I love you, Rivet.”

“I… I love you, too, Sparkles.”

Fashion Plate didn’t respond. Rivet could see his withers move with his breathing, but just barely.

Rivet straightened his back, wiped away tears, and looked out across the valley. The pair of ducks had waddled up to the shore and were huddled together for an afternoon nap. A small flock of songbirds had landed nearby, pecking at grass seeds and singing a simple, repetitive song, and a rabbit lazily hopped about, munching on wildflowers.

Rivet took a deep breath. “It was a Monday. Beginning of summer. You thought it was strange that I wanted us to take a day off just for a date. So, I made up an excuse about how we’d both finished big projects, and we deserved some time together. You were suspicious at first, but, heh, when I told you I’d already booked a couples massage, you were on board.”

Rivet instinctively petted his husband’s back. “It had to be that day, though. It was ten months to the day after our first Friday night together, and I wasn’t going to miss my chance. Ha! I was so, so nervous, honey. I tried to keep cool, but every time I looked at you, I thought–” He choked up and sobbed twice, but he quickly swallowed the pain and continued. “I thought, ‘Here’s the pony I want to marry, and today I get to find out if he wants me, too.’ I didn’t have any doubts, of course. I knew we were right for each other, and you knew it, too, but it was still so nerve-wracking.”

Rivet looked down. Fashion Plate continued breathing with his eyes closed.

Rivet shook his head. “And it all went smoothly, Sparkles. The matinee show off Bridleway, our picnic lunch, the massages, and that incredibly fancy dinner at The Stable… It was probably the smoothest day of my life. Heh. In some ways, I almost wanted something to go wrong, to cut the tension or to just make our perfect day last a little longer.”

He blinked, and a tear rolled off his face, landing on Fashion Plate’s back. “But the moment came. I got us a carriage ride to the park, right at twilight. I told you to get your camera ready, because there were so many sights to see. You told me that you’d already spent the day looking at the most gorgeous sight of all, and I almost buckled and let it slip right then and there.

“But we made it to the park. You had that big smile plastered on your face, the one that always let me know I had really found a way to excite you. We got out, and you looked everywhere. Except, of course, at the small box I snuck from my saddlebag into my pocket. You turned to me and asked, ‘Am I not seeing it? Ah, the suspense is incredible, love! Well done!’ And I asked, wasn’t it obvious? It was right by the fountain.”

Fashion Plate twitched once, then again. Rivet leaned forward and hugged him close.

“You… Y-you dashed over to it and nearly stuck your face in the water, camera ready. I thought I would get sick waiting for you to turn around. But you did. And there I was. Down on a knee, looking up at the most gorgeous stallion in the world, and I opened the box.”

Fashion Plate’s chest made a slight purring noise.

“Oh, Sparkles… That look you gave me. It was the deepest happiness I could imagine. It was a look I’ve only ever seen again once, on our wedding day, but you knew what was happening. You were completely stunned, so stunned that you were barely able to float your camera down safely. You held your hoof to your chest, right over your ascot, and you stood there, waiting for me.”

Rivet’s head rolled back, and he looked up into the branches of the tree. He sobbed. “S-sorry. I’ll keep going.” He took a deep breath. “I opened the box, and your eyes gleamed, a-and… oh, Sparkles, I babbled so much. I told you how I’d known from the moment I saw you at that construction site: this is the pony for me. How you are the most special pony in the world, the light of my life, how you bring joy and energy and light to every room you walk into. About how, as greedy as it was to want that light for myself, I couldn’t imagine living another day without you by my side. I…”

With a long, calm breath, Fashion Plate relaxed, and his body became still.

Rivet’s forelegs shook. His breaths came in unsteady bursts. He leaned down and kissed Fashion Plate’s mane, then sat back up.

“I promised I would make you happy, Sparkles.” His teeth chattered together, and he held Fashion Plate close. “I would do everything I could to give you a life full of joy and love and everything your heart desired. I-I… I said I just needed… I just needed one thing in return. And I asked if you… I asked if you would spend the rest of your life with me.”

Rivet braced for the pain to come crashing over him, but instead, he found himself overwhelmed with the last warmth of his husband, the joy of a lifetime of memories, and a love that he would carry with him for all time. And despite the tears rolling freely down his face, Rivet looked up at the gorgeous world in front of him. It was bright, and it was full of wonder, and it sparkled. Rivet breathed easily as a warm smile settled on his tear-streaked face. “And you said yes.”

Comments ( 11 )

fuck. man… you killed me. just superb

11445681
Thank you for reading, Dertox. I'm glad you found it meaningful. :heart:

That was a hell of an amazing story.

11449095
Thank you so much! :heart:

gosh, this is deadly! masterful work!

Rivet sighed. He kissed his husband’s ear. “Anything for you, Sparkles.”

i had to pause here to collect myself emotionally, and wipe the tears from my eyes. it just hit me what the purpose of them telling all of these stories to each other is, and it’s just so beautiful and heartbreaking.

“Indeed I do!” You jerked your head towards the cab driver. “But let’s not weird out the normies, love. Not until after we pay him, at least.”

The cabbie’s ears swiveled forward.

ah of course this is how ponies would signal that they are purposefully not eavesdropping! augh love these horses

I looked again. That cabbie had a lot of words for me, but he was still trying to unhitch himself.

and again, that pony drivers move their carts by hitching them to themselves!

I’m… sorry to interrupt.

It’s no problem, Sparkles. What’s wrong?

I… I think it’s happening.

and of course, the story has to end. and augh. emotions again. just like the story itself is ending, and the time that i have with Rivet and Fashion Plate, which i don’t want to end!

“And you said yes.”

the perfect line, the perfect last story to end it on.

i don’t even know what to say. i cried a lot during and after reading this, and had to stare at a wall and breathe slowly for a while before being able to type these very words. 

in my writing and my reading, i am drawn to the complicated romances: clashing personalities, high-stakes situations, tragic ironies, that kind of thing. so many great ideas and sweeping arcs to come together at just the right time and way for an impactful emotional climax!

but this story, there are no complications here. just two stallions who are truly right for each other, and who lived ordinary and peaceful lives that were full of love in an ordinary way. and ended in the most ordinary of ways. 

and it destroyed me, outdoing so many of the amazing stories i’ve read, and certainly all of mine. there is a light here that you’ve truly captured. a love of life and a love of love that is inspiring, all from the pairing of the most background of background ponies. the story of Rivet and Fashion Plate is going to stay with me for a long time, and i cannot thank you enough for it.

May we all be half as blessed or lucky. Cheers!

11506650
Thank you so much for giving it a read. :heart:

Comment posted by homer simpson deleted Nov 24th, 2023

11757732
Thanks for checking in, and I hope you liked the story!

Login or register to comment