• ...
0
 19
 852

Chapter1:Crime & Punishment

Hitch Trailblazer kept an eye on the clock right above the courtroom door, his nerves on edge at the closing window of time. He’d been here for almost thirty minutes, expecting her to show up on time.

Where is she?! He ground his teeth a little, upset mixing with worry. His friend knew this was an important day for them, reminding her before she left for Zephyr Heights three days ago.

He looked about the near-capacity courtroom, recognizing many of the earth-ponies in the crowd, peppered throughout with a number of unicorns and pegasus ponies too. A buzz of conversations went on among them as they waited for the proceedings to begin.

There were a number of TV cameras positioned at the rear of the room, waiting news-reporters standing by with their camera crews, preparing for the spectacle to begin. Hitch found himself getting a bit of the butterflies in his stomach, trying not to think about what he was going to do very shortly in front of a live audience. His eyes went back to the clock once again, the pressure inside him building.

Where is she?! There was now less than ten minutes before this was to begin and there was no sight of her. He did not want to leave his spot down front in the audience as well as lose the spot he was holding for her. There were who knows how many more ponies that wanted to get inside the courtroom and witness what was about to transpire.

From a side door entrance to the courtroom Hitch watched as Sprout Cloverleaf, his best friend since colt-hood and the pony that was the center of this trial, enter the courtroom with his lawyer and legal aide, all three taking seats at the desk just in front of where he was sitting and holding onto the extra seat. Both the lawyer and the aide recognized Hitch and gave him a brief nod, relieved to see him but also concerned for his missing partner. Hitch was already anticipating the coming question from the lawyer, answering it before it left his mouth.

“She said she’d be here, and I’m going to keep thinking that.” He would not give in to doubt or belief that he and Sprout would be let down by her.

“I hope she does get here in time. It might make all the difference.” The earth-pony in the gray pinstriped business jacket tried not to look too worried and not wanting his client to worry about it either.

Sprout, hearing Hitch’s voice behind him, took only the most cursory glance over his shoulder to look back at his friend. Hitch saw the sadness and regret in Sprout’s eyes, the downtrodden expression of beaten pony, and it worried Hitch and he felt terrible for his state. His friend was looking the worse for wear.

“Sprout, she’ll be here. We both gave our word.” Hitch wanted his friend not to give up hope. A promise was a promise. But Sprout didn’t look any more hopeful for a better outcome after what he’d done and was charged with. There was a look of resignation in his eyes. He was at the point of letting the winds of fate blow him wherever it would.

And why not? He was the most hated pony in all Equestria. Sprout Cloverleaf; singlehoofedly responsible for nearly preventing the world’s magic from returning by almost destroying the Unity Crystals. There was no escaping the undying hate, ire and suspicion of every unicorn and pegasus pony in Equestria wanting him dead.

Sprout thought the most he could hope for was to be buried in secrecy so his grave wouldn’t get violated by every unicorn and pegasus in existence. They were out for his blood.

Sprout only shrugged a little and grimly turned away from Hitch, slouching in defeat as he sat in his chair and awaited the end.

“There isn’t much time. I saw the judges enter their chamber not too long ago so they’re almost ready.” The lawyer looked up at the clock over the double-doors of the courtroom entrance. “I hope she makes it before we start.”

“Yeah, me too.” Hitch took a deep breath and exhaled, trying to keep his cool. There was now only five minutes left. His friend was cutting it dangerously close.

====****=====

C’mon! C’mon! I have to get back to Maretime Bay! Sunny fretted more and more, having been staring out the window of the train at the same little stream that ran along the train tracks and watching the birds drinking for only the past three minutes.

It felt like ages before the train seemed to start moving again. She watched the station platform come into view and then pass by as the train picked up speed. The nervous butterflies in her stomach steadied only slightly, glad to be underway again but still worried about not making it back in time.

“Next stop Shadow’s Hollow; next stop Shadow’s Hollow. Please move to the forward cars to exit the train for your stop. Thank you.” The conductor announced over the address system. Sunny took another deep breath and exhaled slowly, trying to stay calm.

Just two more stops to go and we’ll be home again. I just might make it in time. Sunny checked the pocket watch she kept in her carry bag to see that, fortunately, she still had about a twenty minute window to get back.

The courthouse is at least a fifteen minute walk from the station platform so if I run the whole way, I’ll make it in less than three.

And for about a minute or so, Sunny felt herself relax a little after such an intense three days away from Maretime Bay with the two princesses and Queen Haven. Who knew Zephyr Heights had so many ministers of so many departments. For the life of her, Sunny could not recall more than three or four of them, the rest of them seemingly turning into one big blur of interchangeable faces and names and titles.

The landscape passed by her window with comforting rapidness. She could feel herself growing more relaxed, enough to think about what she was about to do once she got back to Maretime Bay. This was going to be, what Sunny felt, the most important statement she was ever going to have to give.

It was serious; Sprout’s fate could very well hang in the balance at what she and Hitch were going to say in his defense. After talking so much for the past three days with various heads of State and doing a number of interviews with reporters, Sunny felt practiced enough at public speaking to speak on Sprout’s behalf.

But the train slowed down, clearly not at the station Sunny thought they would be entering. She could feel her pulse start to pick up as the anxiety returned, feeling the train slowing still more and finally come to a gentle stop.

“What the?! Why have we stopped?! This isn’t the station! Sunny jumped from her seat to the car’s exit, trying to look up further the track from the small window in the door. A calm male voice came over the address system.

“Ah, folks, we have to make an emergency stop here; apparently there’s some trouble with the crossing switch a mile or so up the line. So we’re going to have to sit tight for a few minutes while the rail workers fix the problem. We should get going shortly and we’re sorry for any inconvenience.”

“No-o-o-o-o-o!” Sunny yelled out, falling to her knees and raising her forehooves to the heavens, shaking them with fury. “Of all the rotten luck!”

“…if it wasn’t for bad luck, I wouldn’t have no luck a t all.”

Oh, how that old song lyric rang true to Sunny, today more than ever! Several other ponies in the passenger car were staring at her, witnessing the sudden outburst. There was one young red earth-pony filly even recording her public display on her cell-phone, snickering at her antics. Sunny gave an exhausted grunt and schlepped herself back to her seat, embarrassed. All she could do is wait for the train to get moving once more and hope to get back to Maretime Bay in time.

=====*****=====

“All rise! The municipal court of Maretime Bay is now in session! The honorable Judge Fairhoof of Maretime Bay, the Honorable Judge Leadwing of Zephyr Heights and Commissioner Beale of Bridlewood presiding!” The bailiff announced as the door of the judge’s council chamber opened and out stepped the three arbiters of pony justice from the each of the pony lands. The entire audience arose as ordered, showing respect for the justices.

Hitch instantly recognized one of the justices; Judge Fairhoof had been the same one that presided over Sprout’s swearing in ceremony, in this very courtroom not all that long ago. He remembered being right there, with Sprout and his mother, witnessing him take the oath of duty and receive his deputy badge. Phyllis Cloverleaf had never been more proud of her only son then she was just then. What sad irony to now find himself in the same courtroom and be a part of Sprout’s sentencing for his crimes.

The trio of justices took their seats, the paperwork of the case placed on the bench by the court officer for their final pen strokes.

“You may be seated.” Judge Fairhoof ordered and the audience sat back down. The hush in the room was intense. The earth-pony judge took up the collection of papers first, silently reading the plea entered by Sprout Cloverleaf’s lawyer. He passed part of the set of papers to the other justices seated next to him for their signatures.

“The defendant will rise.” Judge Fairhoof looked up from the petition he was filling out to pause briefly before continuing, recognizing Sprout standing at the desk with his legal team.

Spout could not miss the look of disappointment on the judge’s muzzle, feeling disgraced for having to appear like this before the very judge who’d taken his oath. He could barely look up at Judge Fairhoof.

“Council, has your client been advised of his rights in this case, the charges that have been filed against him and the plea your have entered on his behalf?” Judge Fairhoof began the proceedings.

“He has, your Honor.” Sprout’s lawyer answered for him, as per proper proceedings.

Judge Fairhoof continued to fill out the paperwork, asking more. “He understands that by entering his plea and forgoing a trial he is giving up said rights that include one: any defenses that may have been charged; two, objections to the consideration of evidence concerning his guilt; and three, challenges to the accusatory instrument?”

“He does, your Honor.”

Judge Leadwing continued with the questioning. “Your client understands that his plea of ‘no contest’ to the charges will result in a final conviction that we the justices may impose the same punishment as if he pleaded ‘not guilty’, had a trial, and was convicted by a jury of his peers?”

“He does, your Honor.”

“Sprout Cloverleaf,” Commissioner Beale spoke his name and he turned to face the justice from Bridlewood, her green eyes holding him still with their unblinking glare. Sprout gulped down the nervous lump he had in his throat, fearing what she was going to say.

“You understand that, discarding the lesser charges originally issued to you at the time of arrest, under the convictions for: Count one of Aggravated Vehicular Assault with Intent to do Bodily Harm and Count two of Willful Destruction of Private Property will result in special sentencing provisions as well as other significant consequences, correct?”

“Yes, your Honor.” Sprout’s voice cracked terribly when he spoke up, his fear coming through loud and clear.

Hitch could see Sprout was shaking as he stood before the judges, now at the mercy of their decision. Again he looked up over his shoulder at the clock mounted over the doorway to the courtroom, wondering where Sunny was and trying not to let it upset him.

“Does the defendant have anything he wishes to say to the court before his sentencing?” Judge Leadwing spoke next, getting Sprout’s attention. Sprout’s lawyer spoke up for him.

“Your Honors, my client would like to forgo speaking up and call on,” the lawyer looked over to see only Hitch was sitting behind them, the seat for Sunny was still empty, “a character witness for his defense. I would ask Sherriff Hitch Trailblazer to come forward and approach the bench.”

Sprout’s lawyer aide got up to hold the small gate of the bar open, allowing Hitch to step forward from the audience and speak. He gave the lawyer a tiny nod as he walked passed, trying to assure him that he was going to do right by Sprout. There was a small murmur among the audience when seeing Hitch stepping forward to stand for Sprout’s defense. The noise quickly quieted down with a small rap from Judge Fairhoof’s gavel.

“Your honors,” Hitch began, slowly approaching the judge’s bench, speaking in measured tones, “I am here today to ask the court for a show of mercy to Sprout Cloverleaf. I cannot excuse his actions,” Hitch stole a quick glance at his red earth-pony friend, a flash of anger and disappointment in his eyes directed at Sprout, but then he refocused on the three elder ponies in black robes seated behind the high bench.

“But as a pony of the law, I know him to have upheld the duty and ethics when faithfully serving the community as my deputy. I ask this panel to once more review his record of service and take it into consideration for-”

Woosh! BANG!

The double-doors to the courtroom entrance swung back wildly on their hinges, the metal door handles striking the concrete wall made a loud metallic ring that carried out over the audience of ponies gathered. There was a collective gasp from the startling and sudden noise but even more unbelievable, was who was standing in the doorway of the courtroom.

“It’s her! It’s her! It’s the princess!” she heard more than once muttered among the ponies she passed by. Some of the very same neighbors she’d known all her life now bowed their heads to her, like she was a member of royalty.

Sunny Starscout looked about these friends and neighbors, finding this new identity now foisted upon her a bit much to handle so quickly; like she were some ethereal being that was here to save Equestria from all perils. She had to ignore all of this for the moment as she had a job to do and was not making a good showing of herself at the moment.

It made for a dramatic entrance for the new ‘Princess of Friendship’ as a small wave of gasps and mutterings emanated from the audience as she hurried into the courtroom, looking rather embarrassed for having been so late at showing up this morning.

The three judges were not pleased to be interrupted; these proceeding having been already underway.

“Order in this court!” The judge’s gavel rapped several times to get the observers to quiet down so the proceeding could continue. The murmuring and hushed words died down, all excited from the unexpected arrival of Maretime Bay’s own legendary ‘princess’ pony.

“Sorry! Sorry! Sorry everypony…” She hurried down to stand next to Hitch, seeing him glancing down at her with a slightly annoyed look by her late arrival when she knew how important this was. Sunny pulled his head down to her mouth and spoke quietly into Hitch’s ear, upset for being tardy at such a critical moment.

“Sorry, but I couldn’t get away from Queen Haven and her endless parade of official Heads of State to meet in Zephyr Heights! This whole ‘princess’ thing is-”

Ahem!” Judge Fairhoof got her attention away from Hitch and on the three of them sitting and waiting for an end to this interruption. “Your Highness,” Judge Fairhoof addressed Sunny, “I know you have a good reason for interrupting these proceedings, I’ll assume?”

Sunny looked suitably embarrassed at that moment, collecting her thoughts as every pony in the room waited to hear her speak.

“I apologize to your Honors for bursting into your courtroom so unexpectedly like this; it was not my intention to disrupt your duty.” She stole a quick look over to where Sprout was standing with his legal counsel; her foal-hood friend stood staring gloomily down at the linoleum tile floor. Again she addressed the three judges. “If you would permit me, I would like to speak on behalf of the accused before you render your punishment.”

There was another series of audible gasps and mutterings from the audience, stunned to hear the new Princess of Friendship was going to speak up for Sprout Cloverleaf as well. The noise level grew and once more, Judge Fairhoof had to rap his gavel.

“Now now! Any more outbursts from any pony here and I’ll clear the courtroom, understand?!”

Sunny quickly moved back behind the bar to sit in the seat Hitch had been saving for her, waiting for her turn to speak.

Judge Leadwing addressed Hitch, the noise in the courtroom subsiding. “Please continue as you were saying, Sherriff Trailblazer.”

Hitch tried to get his thought back in focus. “Like I was saying, I ask the panel to please take Sprout’s professional record into consideration before you sentence him. It is my sincerest belief that his recent behavior was an aberration and not an example of how he has conducted himself while on duty. Having been both his friend and fellow law officer, I can honestly say I’ve never seen Sprout Cloverleaf act out in such a way at any previous time. He has carried himself with the utmost professionalism and courtesy that would be exemplary in any jurisdiction. So I ask the court to please show him mercy in the sentencing. I thank you.” He stepped back and returned to his seat in the audience, hoping his words had made a difference.

“Good job.” Sunny whispered to Hitch as he sat down, hearing him heave a big sigh of relief.

The trio of judge’s attention then turned to the newly founded Princess of Friendship standing next to the sheriff, each curious to hear what she had to say.

“Princess Sunny Starscout, we would like to hear what you have to say about the accused.” Judge Fairhoof addressed her, smiling politely. Sunny got up and stepped passed the bar that separated the audience from the rest of the court and approached the bench, collecting her thoughts, still unaccustomed to being addressed as ‘Princess Sunny’.

“Your Honors,” Sunny began as she stopped to stand right in front of the high bench and address the trio of judges, “I come before you to ask for a show of leniency for Sprout Cloverleaf in his sentencing. I don’t know why or understand the reasoning that took him to act out like he had. I only know that, having been his friend since we were both young, he is not a bad pony in his heart.” She, too, stole a quick look back behind her to see Sprout standing beside his lawyer; his head bowed and still looking down at the floor. Sunny could not fathom what thoughts must be racing thought Sprout’s mind at that moment. She would do what she could to help him at this point. She continued on.

“Fortunately for everyone, no pony was injured in the event and the Canterlogic Company has made reparations to Maretime Bay. All of those anti-unicorn and anti-pegasus safety systems have been removed from the town’s streets and all the buildings on Main Street that were damaged are being repaired as of right now. Construction on my new home, the Crystal Brighthouse, has already begun. Things are looking better every day all over Equestria now with our world’s magic returning. I truly believe having all of pony kind reconnecting should be the focus of our energies now, rather than metering out some form of punitive justice that is unnecessary in light of this revelation to our world. I thank you for allowing me to address the court.” She stepped back from the bench, returning to her seat next to Hitch once again.

Sunny hoped it would be enough to sway their opinion on what she thought Sprout’s punishment should be. The room was deathly silent as the trio of elderly stallions silently contemplated what their decision was going to be. Judge Fairhoof leaned back in his chair, slowly and gently tapping his forehooves together as he looked down at the accused red earth-pony standing before him, contemplating the character witnesses’ words. He had the final pages of the petition laid out in front of him with the sentence as of yet not filled in. Wordlessly, he scribbled down some notes on a sheet of paper and slid it over to his fellow judges to read, who then both nodded in silent agreement.

“Court is in recess for fifteen minutes; council will join us in chambers.”

Bang!

Judge Fairhoof announced to the collection of citizens as he struck his gavel on the bench. The three judges got to their hooves, exiting off the raised platform and retired to the room behind the courtroom used for private discussions with the legal advisors in cases.

“Sit tight; I’ll be right back.” Sprout’s lawyer gave him a reassuring pat with a forehoof before heading off to the private meeting. Sprout just nodded silently, unable to come up with anything to say.

“All rise!” The court bailiff ordered and the crowd responded, getting to their hooves. Once more, a low murmur of conversations grew from the audience as they wondered what the judges and the lawyer were going to discuss in private.

Several newspaper reporters as well as camera crews from new outlets had been in the courtroom during the entire proceedings, recording every moment of this sentencing with the news correspondents giving their input at various breaks in the court action to those watching the live stream.

The sheriff of Maretime Bay turned to his friend next to him, annoyed at her late arrival.

“What was the hang up?! You almost missed your chance.” Hitch didn’t mean to snip at her like that, but she knew this was an important day and was their only chance to speak up. Sunny looked suitably embarrassed but had her reasons.

“I know! I know! Bu I only got away because of Zipp’s help. She made the ultimate sacrifice for me; asking her mom about ‘princess-ey’ things when she would take over as queen. It worked. Pipp managed to sneak me out of the castle and back to the train station. I caught the first train I could but it was local and stopped at every town along the way.”

Hitch let it go, that was more than enough to give her slack for being tardy. He once more gave a sigh and reached with a foreleg to put around her withers, pulling her closer with his head leaning against hers.

“I’m sorry for being such a noodle-head about it. I can’t guess at what it must be like for three whole days to be trapped with Queen Haven.” The stress was getting to him; the last ten days had been a whirlwind of change for earth ponies like himself and Sunny. Things and events were moving so quickly that it was hard for any pony to take it all in. She held him back and gave a small chuckle at his jab at the pegasus queen.

“It’s been something, alright. This is a huge change for every pony right now.” Sunny looked over at Sprout who was sitting only a few feet in front of her, seeing him vacantly staring down at the table he was seated at. She felt her heart grow heavier at the sight of him so despondent.

“This can’t be happening! This just can’t be happening!” Phyllis Cloverleaf softly cried as she tried to keep it together, comforted by some of her family members seated with her who’d come to show support.

Sunny turned around in her seat and caught sight of her in the audience, seated several rows away and behind from where she and Hitch were. The pain, stress and aggravation garnered by this trial must be something unimaginable to Phyllis Cloverleaf.

Those fifteen minutes felt like an eternity as they waited. Finally, the door to the conference room opened, the three judges returned to their seats at the bench and Sprout’s lawyer once more was by his side.

“All rise!” The order was called out and every pony in the room followed the directive. Once the three judges took their seats, the crowd sat back down to listen. The silence in the room was intense; one could hear a pin hitting the linoleum tile floor at twenty paces without even trying. Every TV camera was facing the judges as the photographers waited for the right moment to snap the next picture.

“The defendant will rise,” Judge Fairhoof ordered as he filled out some of the last lines of information on a stack of forms before passing the pile to his fellow judges for their official signature and seal of their respected jurisdictions and then addressing the accused.

Sprout got to his hooves, looking up with dread in his eyes at the three pony judges seated once more behind the high bench in front of him. He gulped down the lump in his throat, fear clenching his gut as he waited.

Judge Fairhoof spoke up first. “In light of both Princess Sunny Starscout and Sheriff Hitch Trailblazer’s appeal for mercy, taking into account of your service to the Maretime Bay community, your attorney entering a ‘no-contest’ plea to the charges to the court as well as the extraordinary circumstances in which this incident transpired,” He slid the small stack of paperwork over to the judge from Zephyr Heights next.

Judge Leadwing continued the rendering as he, too, finished signing the documents and adding the official legal stamp of Zephyr Heights’ Ministry of Justice. He looked directly at Sprout, holding him with his gaze.

“As agreed by your legal counsel, for the acceptance of this ‘no contest’ plea petition by this panel on; count one of Aggravated Vehicular Assault with Intent is to be reduced to a charge of Vehicular Assault, but, count two of Malicious Destruction of Private Property is to remain. Both charges carry a mandatory one year sentence. Under the special sentencing provisions for earth-pony courts, ordinance one-three-seven dash three; the convicted is required to serve a consecutive sentence for each charge, ordinance one-three-seven dash seven; requirement of minimum term of imprisonment of eighteen months without any form of early release and ordinance one-four-four dash six; requirement of a term of post-prison supervision equal to the maximum statutory indeterminate sentence for the crime, minus any time served.”

The officer of Bridlewood was given the collection of documents for her to add his signature and emboss the official seal of notarizing for all legal documents created in Bridlewood lands. Commissioner Beale continued the final accounting as to why Sprout’s punishment would be what it was.

“It is the decision of this judicial panel to place you, Sprout Cloverleaf, in Equestria’s work-rehabilitation program for earth-pony offenders. As Princess Sunny Startscout highlighted in her speech, Equestria is on the cusp of a new dawn for Ponykind and issuing such judgment as to never allow your return to pony society would be against the better angels of our nature. All three members of this panel express the sincerest desire that while you are away from all pony society that you give long and hard thought to the error of your ways. And in that time, you seek to better yourself so when the day comes for your return, you are prepared.”

Judge Fairhoof gave the closing comment. “I hope this lesson is not lost on you, Sprout Cloverleaf. I dread the idea of returning to this court to revisit a regression of your character if you did not heed our warning. So be it!”

BANG!

The gavel struck the bench with finality, ending the suspension Sprout had been kept in. An audible sucking in of breath to the announcement of Sprout’s minimal punishment rippled across the gathered witnesses. There was a small rush for the door by a few ponies; the press core was already on its way outside to give live coverage responses to the verdict that was just rendered.

Sprout’s knees buckled, his head falling forward in utter defeat with the knowledge of what was in store for him.

Two years?! I’m going to be locked up for two years?! The idea of being locked away somewhere far from home and anything familiar was devastating to him. He felt himself start to tremble in fear more. His lawyer laid a comforting hoof on his withers.

“It was the best plea deal I could get for you, Sprout. I know it’s going to be tough for you but I’m sure-”

“My boy! My boy!” Phyllis Cloverleaf wailed, her voice carrying over the noise of the room, overwrought at the decision as her family members tried to console her. A few photographers from the various new outlets covering the trial, recognizing her in the audience, rushed over to snap pictures of her in her state of distress.

Nothing hustles newspaper sales or gets clicks on news websites like highlighting some pony’s public display of misery and suffering.

Sprout was led away by two armed court officers, heading for a side exit from the courtroom to take him, to what Sunny guessed was, a holding cell and to be eventually transported away from the courthouse.

“Sprout! Spro-o-o-out!” Sunny called out to him, watching how Sprout’s knees buckled and gave out, causing one of the guards to catch him as he was led away. Sprout was now openly crying; a most pitiable sound that Sunny found terribly upsetting to hear.

“Mama! Mama-a-a-a!” He cried out for her, hot tears rolling down the side of his muzzle at being forced apart from everything he knew.

“Oh-h-h-h, Hit-t-t-tch!” Sunny groaned with sadness, tears of sympathy collecting in her eyes as she watched along with Hitch, their foal-hood friend exiting the courtroom, half-carried along and finally out of sight. She was so afraid for Sprout.

“He’s going away for a while, Sunny. There’s nothing we can do about it now. We can only hope the best for him.” Hitch could no more stop this from happening then he could stop the raising and lowering of the sun. His friend was in for a rough time away from home, that Hitch was sure of.

Sprout’s lawyer came over to speak with the two character witnesses he had for this case. He looked very disappointed with what Sprout got as punishment, letting his client’s family and friends down.

“I’m sorry, Sherriff Hitch and Your Highness; I could not get him the five-year probation under your watch like I had wanted. I could not convince one of the judges away from sending him to jail. My hope is once he has served, this can be expunged from his permanent record.”

“You did everything a pony could to aid him, sir.” Sunny laid an understanding hoof on his withers, keenly aware of the near-impossible task he had been handed for getting Sprout the best possible sentence.

“Mrs. Cloverleaf! Mrs. Cloverleaf!” The multitude of voices loudly called to the mother of the convicted, all of them trying to get to where she’d been sitting and practically cornering her in the throng of pony bodies.

Phyllis Cloverleaf and her immediate family were beset by reporters trying to get some comment from her about the trial and about her son going to jail. She was desperate to get out of the courtroom without being hounded any more by these intrusive reporters with their cameras flashing away.

Other reporters, unable to get close to the Cloverleaf family, turned their attention now to Sunny and Hitch, eager to get a scoop from both character witnesses and maybe score an exclusive interview with the new Princess of Friendship. They hurried right over to them.

“Sherriff, do you have anything to say about the trial’s outcome?” One reported shouted out, readying his pencil on his notepad to record Hitch’s words.

“It’s over with; that is all I have to say about that.” The Sherriff of Maretime Bay would not comment, stone-faced and refusing to give these vultures one scrap of red meat to feed their readers.

“Do you feel that justice has been served?” Another followed right after with her question.

Hitch kept on his hooves, batting back the question with another short answer. “The wheels of justice have done its duty for the public’s service.”

“Sherriff Trailblazer, is it true you and Princess Sunny Starscout are life-long friends?”

“Yes.” Hitch kept it even more succinct.

Two more reporters then homed in on Sunny, their digital cameras clicking away while the cable news camera focused on her, getting in her personal pace and making her rather nervous.

“Princess Sunny, there are several online stories claiming that you and the accused were in a romantic relationship and that your attempt to break it off precipitated the events of the evening in question. Is it true?”

That overpowering white light used by the camera crew was now blinding Sunny. She raised a forehoof to her eyes, trying to shield them so she could see who it was in front of her. “What the…? No! That not true, I-”

“As the newly crowned Princess of Friendship, what will be your first orders to the pony populations of Equestria? Will you seek to oust Queen Haven and claim the throne of Zephyr Heights for yourself?” Another reporter jumped in with a question, cutting her off.

“What?! No, that’s absurd! Queen Haven is my friend and-” Sunny tried to answer but was once more cut off by another question.

“Princess Sunny, the readers want to know when you’ll be decreeing Maretime Bay to be the new capital city of Equestria?” One more reporter shoved a microphone right in front of her mouth as more pictures were taken, the flashes of light making spots appear in Sunny’s eyes. She took several steps back, starting to get overwhelmed by the attention.

Hitch moved in closer to her, trying to shield her some from the persistent scoop-seekers.

“I don’t have any intention of-”

“Princess Sunny, six more mutant ponies were sighted near Bridlewood last week. Is it your contention that this has nothing to do with the strange magical energy emanating from the Unity Crystal now being housed in Zephyr Heights?”

“What?! That’s the craziest thing I ever heard! What pony said there were-” Sunny’s head whipped around to where she thought the question came from as yet more reporters clamored closer.

She was beset with yet another TV camera pointed at her with its white light blazing away in her direction. Sunny kept trying to keep the light out of her eyes with her forehoof, unable to fully see just which one of these ponies was posing what question to her.

“Princess, is it true that Queen Haven herself urgently requested your presence in Zephyr Heights this week for a briefing and to assign you to investigate these sightings of mutant ponies near Bridlewood?”

This was too much for Sunny to deal with all at one time, being overwhelmed by the focus of so many ponies who all seemed to want a piece of her mind. The bombardment of inquires seemed endless and she wished to get away.

Phyllis Cloverleaf and her family, meanwhile, were under much the same intense attention and were assaulted by the rain of questioning.

“Mrs. Cloverleaf, how do you feel about the judgment of your son? Are you angry at the outcome?” A reporter demanded with his microphone in hoof. Another reporter jumped in, not even giving her a chance to answer.

“Mrs. Cloverleaf, is it true that your son became raging sociopath due to his upbringing in a single-parent household?”

“Mrs. Cloverleaf, as owner and C.E.O. of Canterlogic, there are reports in the business news of financial improprieties within the holdings of your company. Is this true and what do you have to say about the allegations being leveled at you?”

“Oh! Oh, get away! Sweet merciful Heavens get away from me, all of you!” She franticly swatted away the multitude of microphones thrust in front of her muzzle, simply overwhelmed by those demanding her attention and all eager to get anything she spoke recorded.

Fed up with the spectacle in front of him, Hitch jumped into action. Startling Sunny by suddenly leaving her side, he charged right over to the Cloverleaf family and physically pushed every pony body back from them, giving them some much need room.

FEW-E-E-E-E-E-E-P!

Hitch’s whistle made an ear-shattering note as he blew into it as hard as he could, startling everypony in the courtroom with its shrillness.

“Alright! Alright! That’s quite enough now! The show’s over so let’s get moving out of the way for these ponies!” He practically yelled; his voice loud, brusque and tinged with anger. He stood defiantly in between the Cloverleaf family members and the reporters that swarmed around them like bees.

“Let’s move! Let’s move! Nothing to see her folks so keep moving!” He pointed the way out for them, most making their way out of the building. Hitch eyed those nasty pony reporters who tried to linger back so as to have a clearer shot as Phyllis and her family for questioning.

“I said get going!” Now Hitch wasn’t kidding, his anger out in the open. He was looking at the group of reporters who were still hovering near Sunny as well and he wasn’t going to let them pester her anymore. Sensing the heavy atmosphere of the room, those few who tried to stay behind finally got the message and cleared out.

Sunny hadn’t seen Hitch this upset in a long time, glaring at those reporters like he was. The past nine days had been such a whirlwind of change for everypony in Equestria, and she figured even super level-headed Hitch was going to start snapping at folks. He, like Pipp, Zipp, Izzy and herself, had had very little time to rest and regroup from the dramatic change they had engendered.

She came over to stand with Sprout’s family, standing next to Phyllis to watch as the last of these intrusive ponies file out of the courtroom and leaving them alone at last.

“Are you alright, Mrs. Cloverleaf?” Sunny saw how upset the mare was by the onslaught of questions and unwanted attention. She looked just this side of screaming from it all. Phyllis Cloverleaf looked down at Sunny, standing next to her. She could see the genuine concern for her wellbeing in the new princess’ eyes.

“Yes, thank you Prin-” Phyllis caught herself, seeing how Sunny’s expression saddened a little as yet another pony she knew was about to address her as ‘princess’. Clearly being called this was not something she was not comfortable with yet.

“Yes, thank you, Sunny.” Phyllis corrected herself and Sunny gave a small smile of appreciation. Seeing the silent pain in the older mare’s eyes and acting on pure instinct of understanding, Sunny suddenly reached out to embrace Phyllis Cloverleaf.

“I’m… I’m sorry! I’m so sorry, Sunny! Can you ever forgive this foolish old mare?” Phyllis quietly confessed to Sunny as she broke down, ashamed of her son’s actions. Phyllis knew Sunny never bore a grudge against her or Sprout, in spite of the terrible way she’d spoken to Argyle Starscout and derided his research as nonsense.

“I’m sorry, too! I never wanted this to happen!” Sunny empathized with Sprout’s mom, recalling the sound of Sprout calling out for his mom and his crying. She held onto Phyllis a little tighter, giving and needing support in this difficult time.

Hitch would never have thought he’d see the day when these two mares, one losing their parent to an illness not so long ago and the other now losing their child to the Justice System, would be comforting each other as their personal lives were upended and as the world of Equestria around all of them had been thrown into a state of flux.

The gathered family members along with Hitch then got to witness an amazing sight up-close and personal. They watched as Sunny’s body became encompassed by a heavenly radiance, as if it had originated from within her body and grew outwards.

“Auntie Phyllis! Auntie Phyllis!” One of her nephew’s called to her, drawing Phyllis’ mind out of the moment of quietude and open her eyes, beholding a sight she’d only seen briefly nine nights ago. Her mouth fell open a little, speechless by what she was seeing. A golden shimmering unicorn horn was adorning Sunny’s head and a pair of golden glittering pegasus wings spread out for each side of her body.

“Sunny! Sunny! It’s happening again!” Hitch hooted with excitement, thrilled to see the magic power manifesting in his best friend once more. Like the rest of his new friends, he had no idea of how or why this magical transformation happened like it did, but he was thrilled to see it again.

Sunny let go of Phyllis, looking over herself and astounded again by the magical manifestation. With only the slightest command of thought, she made her wings flap and she rose up into the air to hover steadily in place.

The Cloverleaf family watched with wide eyes and silent wonder, hearing from Phyllis about what she’d seen on that fateful night and now bearing witness to that effect. Sunny landed back down on the floor, her translucent golden wings folding right up against her flanks.

“You…you’re one of those beings your father was researching about, aren’t you; one of those legendary ‘alicorn’ ponies now?” She was almost too stunned to ask, unable to process what she was seeing. Alicorns were ponies of myths and legends; fantasy creatures used in children’s shows and books to teach them little life lessons. Her family did not know what to say. This was something so incredible to see that none of them dared shatter the moment with nonsensical questions.

“I…I guess so.” Sunny really didn’t know how else to answer. This was only the second time she had this happen to her and longed to understand the hows and whys it was happening.

“Your father would be so thrilled and proud to see you now, Sunny. I think he knew more about how special you really are then he led on.” Phillis was honored to see Sunny appear like this again; recognizing in her son’s friend how extraordinary she was to their world.

“Thank you.” Sunny was truly grateful for the kind words. She had been thinking about her dad almost non-stop since her first manifestation, mystified at what he might have known about the existence of alicorns, wishing he had told more about them being princesses’ long ago.

“C’mon, folks, let me escort you out of here. I’m sure every pony here needs a break from the attention.” Hitch was eager to help out, wanting to end this at last and get back to some semblance of normality, if possible.

“Thank you, Sherriff Hitch. If you know of a way out so we can avoid the press core again, we would appreciate it to no small amount.”

“Leave everything to me.” Super quick, Hitch was off to check every possible exit door in the whole building. He was gone for less than five minutes, returning with an escape plan for the Cloverleaf family.

“I found a back exit in the wing of the town hall building that’s clear. We’d best hurry; no guarantee it’ll stay that way for long with the likes of those news ponies lurking about.” Hitch warned.

Taking them out a side door of the courtroom and down an empty hallway, he found the passage way still clear and waved them on to follow. The exit door was just ahead.

“You stay with Phyllis and her family; I’m going to go out there to double check and make sure no pony sees them leaving.” He instructed Sunny, wanting to get these nice folks away safely from more bother.

“Check!” Sunny stood by the door and kept watch from her vantage point, keeping an eye on the streets and watching for any pony to come walking past that might spot them.

Hitch moved swiftly down to the end of the building to peer ever-so-carefully around to corner, keeping his body pinned up against the concrete and brick structure for cover. He was right; no pony was nearby, the hoof-full that were had been waiting to give their accounts to the two news reporters and the TV camera crews. He knew it was safe to get Sprout’s mom and family away from here.

He slowly slid back away from the corner of the building, slipping away and back to the exit where Sunny and the Cloverleafs were waiting. He was wearing a smile, good news to share.

“It’s clear; we can slip them down the side alley and out onto the next block on High Street. There’ll be no press waiting to pounce on them.”

“That’ll keep them out of sight; good call.” Sunny was in total agreement. Getting Sprout’s family away from the public eye was job one. Hitch charged down to the other end of the building, coming out onto High Street and finding his hunch right. The sidewalks were clear of troublesome press ponies. He turned to wave to Sunny, standing in the doorway of the exit. She moved outside to hold the door open for Phyllis and her family to leave.

“Come on, every pony; this way.” She waved them on and pointed the way to them, making sure they could see Hitch standing at ally’s exit and making sure the way stayed clear.

Single file, the Cloverleaf family moved swiftly and quietly as possible out the door and down the alleyway. Hitch kept vigilant watch on the comings and goings on the street, making sure it stayed clear. The family members all collected next to where he stood, fear in their expressions as they waited for their protector to tell them what next to do. Phyllis Cloverleaf was the last one to join them.

Hitch escorted them across the street, his thousand-yard stare constantly going up and down the length of High Street, making sure no pony spotted them. Once on the other side of the street, gathered on the corner, Phyllis turned to her town’s loyal and trustworthy sheriff. She looked so relieved to have gotten this far.

“I can lead them from here, Sherriff. We’re staying at Grand Hotel just up the next block. We’ll be alright now.” Phyllis reached out to embrace Hitch and reward him with a small kiss on the side of his muzzle. A small flush of pink appeared on his muzzle, slightly embarrassed. This was all Hitch need to know he’d done ‘something’ to help out his old friend.

“Glad to help out, Mrs. Cloverleaf.” The Sherriff gave them a small nod and smiled with relief as they all moved swiftly up the block and further away from the mayhem of downtown. He watched and waited until he saw all of them enter the hotel and finally out of view.

Returning to the exit where he thought he’d find Sunny waiting, he spotted her down at the end of the building, peering around the corner. He trotted over, joining her to watch and listen. A number of unicorns and pegasus ponies were talking to the news reporters with cameras that were live-streaming the reactions to the ruling. It wasn’t pleasant to hear for the new princess.

“This is an outrage! I can’t believe he got off so easily! This was fixed because the trial took place in an earth-pony court! Of course he’s going to get off light! Sprout Cloverleaf would have gotten his dues in a real court of law; like in Zephyr Heights!” One angry pegusus stallion ranted as he glared into one eager TV camera. Another stallion, a golden-brown unicorn, continued the angry tirade.

“That Sprout Cloverleaf is nothing but a low down, double dealing, power grabbing, larcenist, perverted worm!” He roared fury in words. A gray unicorn jumped in, grabbing the microphone from the pegasus pony and glaring madly into the TV camera as he ranted, piling on the hate-filled rhetoric in even more graphic terms.

“Hanging’s too good for him! Burning’s too good for him! He should be torn into little, bitsy pieces and buried ali-i-i-i-ive!”

“Oka-a-a-a-ay, I think we should get back to our studio-” The news reported tried to ease of his live segment, the anger of these ponies on full display to the live audience and making him nervous for his personal safety. The nearly two-dozen or so unicorn and pegasus ponies continued to rant on at what they felt was a great miscarriage of justice. Suddenly, it got a whole lot more dangerous as these unicorns and pegasus ponies turned their attention to the few earth-ponies who happened to be nearby, waiting as well to give their reaction to the court case’s outcome.

“Death to earth ponies! Death to earth-ponies! Death to earth ponies!” They began to chant with increasing fury, moving in on the five or six stallions and mares standing on the courthouse steps. They encircled the earth-ponies that clustered close together, fearing for their lives as the mob moved in on them. Then, it happened, so quickly that it stunned every pony watching still for a few seconds.

Woosh! CRASH!

“Henry!” A middle-aged pink colored mare screamed out as she watched her husband take the full impact to his head of a beer bottle that was thrown at them from somewhere nearby, shattering on impact and embedding chunks of glass into flesh. The stallion groaned as he crumbled to the concrete steps with a hard thud, unable to brace himself as he fell. She knelt down at his side, seeing the blood now coming out of the wounds in think red rivulets.

“Some pony help me!” She cried out and both Sunny and Hitch flew action. Hitch was at the injured stallion side, assessing the situation.

“All of you get back! Get back!” Sunny ordered the unicorns and pegasus ponies to give Hitch room, physically pushing those who did not listen to her. One earth-pony mare that was standing close by wore a scarf around her neck and Hitch snatched it from her, quickly folding it over several times to make square pad out of it.

“Here, keep the pressure on the wounds to minimize the bleeding,” He instructed the weeping mare who was kneeling next to him to hold the pad firmly against the wound while bracing the other side of his head up against her leg. She did as he instructed and trying not to panic.

Hitch ran over to the nearest emergency call box, pulling open the small door and pressing the blue button to summon the paramedics. A scratchy voice called out from the small speaker in the call box.

“Paramedics service; what’s the emergency?”

“This is Sherriff Hitch Trailblazer. I have a code five-oh-two; repeat a five-oh-two at the steps out the county courthouse. Pony down with a severe head injury, send the ambulance immediately!” Hitch kept his voice calm, relying on his police training in these tense moments of emergency.

“Roger that, Sheriff Hitch! We’re dispatching an ambulance right now!” The voce called back. Within a few seconds, the siren call of the ambulance could be heard coming from across town and heading their way.

Hitch returned to attending the injured citizen. “Please remain still sir. Help is on the way.” He took over holding the makeshift bandage to the stallion’s head and keeping the victim’s head immobilized while waiting. The injured stallion only groaned in response.

“Everything’s going to be fine, ma’am. The situation is in hoof.” He tried to keep her calm, speaking in steady measures to assure her.

The wife of the injured stallion looked down at her forehooves to see her husband’s blood had stained them and she freaked out. She spun around to face the crowd behind her, thrusting both her forehooves up and towards the stunned unicorns and pegaus ponies that had been silently watching.

“Is this what you came to see?! Is this what you want?! You want to see earth-pony blood spilled in revenge?!” She screamed at them, wild-eyed and on the edge of hysteria. Sunny ran over to try to calm the situation.

“No, please! We don’t know if it was one of them or somepony else who was watching from close by. This is not how we should be treating each other; as enimies!” She embraced the mare, trying to calm her.

“It’s Princess Sunny Starscout! It’s her!” One female voice whispered harshly to the other unicorns and pegasus ponies, watching as the drama unfolded. The siren drew closer; the green and blue lights of the ambulance could be seen in the reflections of the shop windows further down the street as it approached.

Sunny was utterly horrified by what she had witnessed, recognizing all of the earth-ponies targeted as her fellow townsfolk. She didn’t recognize any of the unicorns or pegasus ponies who stood close by, all of them dumbstruck by her presence, never seeing an alicorn princess in the flesh before.

Sunny could feel the anger in her rising but kept it under control, the seriousness of the situation taking precedence over what she wanted to say to them. The ambulance came roaring up the street, pulling up right next to the scene. Two paramedics, dressed in their white shirts with first aid kits strapped to their flanks, jumped from their seats and into action as a third pony remained hitched to the ambulance, ready to transport.

“We’ll take it from here, Sherriff.” A blonde stallion with a long brown mane and tail whipped out a proper head bandage to use and deftly swapped it for the makeshift one Hitch had used. The second paramedic, a Bay stallion with a short black mane and cropped tail, ran back to the ambulance to retrieve the stretcher. In seconds flat he had it rolled up next to his partner and then, together, carefully lifting the victim onto the padded surface and secured him with straps.

“Ma’am, you’d best come with us to the hospital’s emergency room.” The blonde stallion paramedic politely addressed the mare Sunny was comforting.

“Go with them; everything’s going to be alright. We’ll find out who did this.” Sunny assured the weeping mare, walking her back to the rear of the ambulance with the two EMS workers and helping her into the back so as to stay next to her husband for the ride. One of the workers stayed with the victim and his wife in the rear while the other jumped back into the front seat of the ambulance.

“Let’s roll!” He ordered and the wagon made a sweeping U-turn in the street and charged off back to the hospital, siren blaring and lights blazing away.

Sunny and Hitch’s attention now turned to the group of unicorns and pegasus ponies who’d been the instigators of this awful spectacle. Sunny walked right up to them, her gaze holding them in place as her translucent golden wings spread out from her sides and her golden horn emitting a soft glow of yellow light. She let them have a piece of her mind.

“Nine days! Nine days! That’s all it’s been since the return of magic to Equestria after an incalculable number of moons since its disappearance! And in that time, all you have to show for it is anger and hatred for the earth-ponies in some twisted sense of justified retribution?! We were wrong,” Sunny then turned to face her fellow earth-ponies who’d been the target of the animosity, “many of us who went along with Sprout Cloverleaf’s mad scheme said nothing and did nothing to stop him. We have no pony to blame but ourselves for the ire that has been sown between the three pony races!”

Sunny then turned to face the unicorns and pegasus ponies once more. “But earth-ponies are not solely to blame for this. All this long simmering hate and distrust from all the pony races have contributed to this tension and fear between us. It’s only when we work together, through the magic of friendship, will we be able to bring our world back to a place it was before; when all ponykind worked in harmony. If we give into hate, if we let the past continue to rule the present, then the future is surely lost for all of us.”

Sunny witnessed the looks of regret on the faces of the unicorns and pegasus ponies when listening her message, realizing the error in their judgments of earth-ponies. It was a sobering moment for them all. Hitch then took over the situation.

“I want every pony here to know that they are officially under arrest; every pony here is going down to the police station to be processed! I’m going to get to the bottom of who threw that bottle and injured that innocent stallion! I can assure the guilty party here that they will be processed to the fullest extent of the law! Get moving!” Hitch pointed the way for them, back down Main Street towards his office. This was a side of Hitch she did not like to see; riled up and barking angry orders at the citizenry, ponies he most likely knew by name.

No pony spoke up in defiance of the command or argued their innocence in the street. The earth-ponies who’d been at the center of the assault went too, wanting to comply and give their accounts of what they witnessed. Overall, it was a sad culmination of a sad court trial that neither Hitch nor Sunny ever wanted to relive.

“It didn’t have to be like this, Hitch. It… it just didn’t!” Sunny leaned in close to him, resting her head against his neck, needing some kind of comfort at the outcome of the past several days of crazy changes to their lives. It all just felt like too much to take on all at once.

Hitch put a foreleg around her withers, in need of the support too and sighed heavily. “I know, Sunny. Let’s only hope that it only gets better from here on out.”

A news reporter eagerly came up to her and Hitch, delight beaming in his eyes as he spoke to them. “Thank you, Princess Sunny. That was the most inspiring speech about ‘friendship magic’ I’d heard in…. well, ever! And best of all, we got it live! It was broadcast on all the major news outlets!”

Sunny’s mouth fell open, forgetting there’d been a news camera transmitting the whole time. She felt her knees buckle a little; realizing that thousands of ponies had witnessed her little speech. Hitch helped keep her on her hooves, holding her up some.

“Oh-h-h-h-h!” Sunny groaned, putting a forehoof to her head. She had unconsciously slipped into that ‘alicorn princess’ mode of speaking. And with the appearance of her wings and horn as she spoke, it probably just reinforced her place as the new Princess of Friendship among all ponykind, in spite of her desire to return to her old life of running a fruit smoothie stand on the boardwalk. But it seemed that the Wheel of Fate was moving her in another direction, weather she wanted it or not.

Author's Note:

Well, here it is; the beginning of what I'm sensing to be a very bumpy ride for Sprout. I do hope he get's his life together because no pony is going to do it for him from now on. Please leave a comment on this story in the comment section. I would love to hear what you think of this beginning.