• Published 24th Sep 2012
  • 1,016 Views, 15 Comments

The Buffalo Legends Collection - Rara



Every culture has its own myths and stories, its heroes and monsters. Enter the Buffalo Legends.

  • ...
2
 15
 1,016

Star Dog and the Diamond Dogs

Disclaimer: CC Cover art and all written material within is intellectual property of user Persianjuliet, and may not be used without consent of the author.

My Little Pony and all related characters are property of Hasbro and Lauren Faust.


This is a story of long ago, of the Old Spirits that lived in the world before it was the world. It is a story of what, and how, and why. It is a story that you must remember and pass on to your calves in time, because without the long-ago stories we would not know our own beginnings. Remember and treasure this, little ones.

You all know of the quick-thinking, sly-eyed trickster Star Dog. He has a wicked sense of humor and a love of fooling others. He is not so very important himself, you see, and so he loves to see others made ridiculous. There are many stories about Star Dog- he finds his way into the most unlikely tales, though of whether he triumphs or crawls away humbled you can never be sure. This story, however, is the story of Star Dog’s greatest failure. He hates to hear it mentioned, and it is said that he snapped at Phoenix when she spoke of it to him. Listen and attend, little ones.

One day, back when there was only one Tribe of buffalo, when the Hoofed Father and the Sky Mother still walked the earth and spoke to their creations, Star Dog (still new and young, little ones) was feeling unhappy. He saw the Hoofed Father walking among his favorite children, the buffalo, and he knew unhappiness. Why does the Hoofed Father get to create children and walk among them? wondered Star Dog. The Hoofed Father created me, yet I do not look like him. There are no others like me. This is not fair.

Star Dog went into the deep, green forest, full of young growth and green life. He found Phoenix, asleep in the highest branch of the highest tree. He woke her by pulling out a feather from her wing, and she lit his tail on fire with a flick of her red-tipped wings. He yipped and rushed to put it out, but the tip of his tail was scorched and blackened, and reeked of burnt fur.

“Why are you here, miserable one?” asked Phoenix.

“I wanted to know why the Hoofed Father made many buffalo and only one of you and one of me. Can you tell me?”

Phoenix laughed at Star Dog. “I am not alone. I asked the Hoofed Father to make more Phoenixes for me, and he did so. Look here!”

Phoenix raised off her nest. Star Dog looked. Under the fiery bird were four golden eggs.
Star Dog was curious. “Will the Hoofed Father make me more Star Dogs?”

Phoenix laughed and flew at Star Dog to drive him away. “Make more of you? I would crumble into ashes before seeing more Star Dogs in the world. Go trouble another with your mischief; I have eggs to hatch.”

Star Dog ran away with his tail between his legs, growling all the while. Maybe Old Mountain Dragon will tell me why, thought the trickster.

He ran to the great stony mountains that rose fresh and new from the earth. He found Old Mountain Dragon, asleep at the mouth of the biggest cave in the biggest mountain. He woke him by dropping a rock on the tip of his sensitive snout, and the creature- ancient even in those young times- caught him under one mighty talon in a blow that left the trickster breathless.

“Why are you here, cowardly one?” asked Old Mountain Dragon.

“I came to see if you knew why the Hoofed Father created all the buffalo children but left the two of us alone and without kin. Phoenix would not tell me, and chased me away with her fire. Can you tell me?”

Old Mountain Dragon snorted at Star Dog. “I am not alone. I grew tired of being by myself long ago, and I told the Hoofed Father to make more Dragons for me. He did so. Look here!”

Dragon turned and called into the deep black cave with a rumbling bellow that made the whole mountain shake. Star Dog looked. Four little draclings appeared. Each looked different, but each was clearly a dragon.

Star Dog grinned a great crooked-toothed grin. “Do you think the Hoofed Father could make me more Star Dogs?”

Dragon laughed and picked Star Dog up in a powerful grip. “Make more of you? I would become a raving beast before seeing more Star Dogs in the world. Go and pester someone else with your nonsense; I have dragons to raise.”

Star Dog wriggled free from Old Mountain Dragon’s claws, losing quite a bit of fur in the process. He tumbled and slid down the tall gray mountain, yelping all the while. Perhaps First Pony will answer my question, thought the cunning dog.

He ran to the grassy plains that sprawled over the land, having been freshly laid down by the Hoofed Father. He found First Pony sleeping at the center of the greenest meadow on the tallest hill. He woke her by nipping and worrying at her heels, and the many-hued pony kicked out with her back legs. They caught him right under the jaw, and knocked out half his teeth to boot.

“Why are you here, wretched one?” asked First Pony.

“I wish to ask you a question. Why had the Hoofed Father seen fit to fill the world with his precious buffalo, while you and I are solitary? Phoenix and Old Mountain Dragon would not tell me, and chased me away with fire and claws. You are a hoofed creature; surely you know the answer.”

First Pony looked down her nose at Star Dog. “I am not alone. The Hoofed Father promised me that my ponies will be a race to rival the buffalo one day, and he has begun already. I am the First Pony, not the Only Pony. Look here!”

First Pony raised her head to the sky and uttered a piercing whinny. In an instant, two small alicorns like her had fluttered down to the earth. One was dark and one was light, but they both resembled the majestic First Pony.

Star Dog scratched behind his ear thoughtfully. “Could the Hoofed Father create more Star Dogs for me?”

“Make more of you? I would be split into pieces before seeing more Star Dogs in the world. Go and good riddance to you, pest; I have foals to educate.”

First Pony seized Star Dog with her magic and flew up high. She tossed him far away though the air and he landed outside his home, whimpering all the while. Phoenix has her eggs, and Old Mountain Dragon has his draclings,and First Pony has her foals. Perhaps the Hoofed Father will give me more Star Dogs.

So Star Dog ran once more, travelling swiftly to the home of the Hoofed Father. When he arrived, he was panting and trembling all over. The Hoofed Father answered the door, and was surprised to see Star Dog standing on his doorstep.

“Why, Star Dog, what has happened to you? Your tail is burnt, your fur is missing in clumps, and half your teeth are gone.”

Star Dog bared his teeth. “Phoenix burnt me, and Old Mountain Dragon clawed me, and First Pony kicked me. None of them would answer my question, so I came here.”

“What is your question, child?”

“Why have you made so many buffalo and no Star Dogs? Why did you give eggs to Phoenix, and draclings to Old Mountain Dragon, and foals to First Pony? Won’t you make me some Star Dogs?”

The Hoofed Father shook his head sadly and slowly. “No, Star Dog. I created buffalo because they are my children; I made them to resemble me and follow in my hoofsteps. I granted kin to Phoenix and Old Mountain Dragon and First Pony because they are wise and kind and good creatures. But I cannot give kin to you, Star Dog.”

“Why?” cried the trickster. “It isn’t fair to deny me what you’ve given the others!”

“You are tricky and mischievous, Star Dog. You enjoy causing trouble and making others look bad. You have not earned the right to more Star Dogs yet.”

Star Dog was furious. He stomped and fumed. He raged and pleaded. He bargained and begged, but nothing would sway the Hoofed Father.

“I must tend to my creations.” said the Hoofed Father at last. “Please think on what I have told you, Star Dog. If you can prove to me your worth, you may receive pups of your own.”

Star Dog watched the Hoofed Father depart. He looked resigned on the outside, but his cunning mind was already stirring with a plan. He waited until he was sure the Hoofed Father was gone, and then he slipped inside his house.

Star Dog crept through the house as smoothly and quietly as the shadows between stars. He slunk unobtrusively into the workshop where the Hoofed Father created all of his children by shaping them from clay. Star Dog ripped out great chunks of the magical clay. Star Dog sat at the wheel and placed the clay upon it. Star Dog began to spin. He chuckled to himself as he shaped the clay. This is easy, the trickster thought. The Hoofed Father is greedy to keep such a marvel to himself.

Star Dog sat at the potter’s wheel for many hours, shaping and molding his creations. Star Dog did not make just one; no, he was a greedy creature, and made hundreds. Star Dog was unskilled at the art, and while he was perfectly made, these Star Dogs were lumped and grotesque. Star Dog did not mind this, however. It pleased him that he should be the most handsome of all the Star Dogs.

Star Dog heard the latch turn on the door. Hurriedly, he gathered up the clay dogs in his arms. He heard hoofsteps approaching. He clambered out the back window. He heard the workshop door open. He raced away as fast as his legs could carry him, and he heard a booming voice shake the ground behind him. “This is folly, Star Dog! You have tricked yourself and yourself only with this mischief!”

The mischievous creature only laughed to himself. That old fool is only jealous of my handiwork. He wishes that the power to create should belong to him alone; well, now we shall see who is deserving of kin!

Star Dog ran to his home and set the clay figures carefully on the ground. He began breathing life into each of them. They colored and became flesh (for the Old Ones, you see, still had this power in them), but they did not move. Star Dog was puzzled, but he soon became angry. He did not want to return to Hoofed Father and ask why he had failed, but he needed to know how to animate his dogs. He sat and pondered this for a time, biting at fleas and growling to himself. Then, wicked old Star Dog had an idea.

Star Dog ran to the forest. The new-growth forest, the great green forest. Within he discovered Phoenix, happily perched on her eggs. He approached her humbly, with his tail tucked between his legs, but there was a sly smile on his face.

“Phoenix, Phoenix, I have a question for you!”

Phoenix looked over the side of her nest at him. “What is your question, cur?”

“Forgive this wretched dog for disturbing you, but I have to know. How did the Hoofed Father give your eggs life?”

Phoenix was pleased with his flattery. “That is simple. He shaped them from his clay. He gave them his love and care. He breathed life into them. He made hearts for them of the finest fire opals. That is how my phoenixes were given to me.”

Star Dog grinned a doggish grin, his tongue lolling out the side of his mouth. “Thank you ever so much, Phoenix. I have one more question, however. Did you not say that you would crumble into ashes before seeing more Star Dogs in the world?”

Phoenix nodded. “Rather that than see any more like you, trickster!”

“Then be ashes!” Star Dog cried. “For I have made a multitude of dogs, and I have given them life!”

Phoenix uttered a cry of fury as her body withered into ashes. This, my little ones, is why phoenixes become ashes and are reborn in their life cycle even to this day.

Star Dog ran. He ran like a mad creature all the way to the deepest cave in the highest of the great gray mountains. He stood at the mouth of the cave and he called to Old Mountain Dragon.

“Old Mountain Dragon, Old Mountain Dragon, I have a question for you!”

The great scaled creature appeared at the entrance, snorting smoke from his nostrils. “What is your question, miscreant?”

“Forgive this misbegotten trickster for disturbing you, but I must know. How did the Hoofed Father give your draclings life?”

Old Mountain Dragon was appeased by the trickster’s words. “That is easy. He formed them from clay. He lavished them with love. He breathed life into them. He made hearts for them of purest onyx. This is how my draclings were brought into the world.”

Star Dog’s smile was wide and wicked. “I thank you humbly, old Dragon. I do have another question, however. Did you not say that you would rather be a raving beast than see more Star Dogs in this world?”

Old Mountain Dragon nodded. “Stars forbid that there be any more like you on this earth!”

“Then be a beast!” Star Dog cried. “For there are hundreds more like me, and they live even now!”

Old Mountain Dragon bellowed as his eyes became slit-pupiled and he frothed and raved over his cave. This, my little ones, is why dragons become mad when presented with gems or treasure even to this day.

Star Dog ran. He ran laughing all the way to the flowery meadow on the grassy plains. He walked through the tall grass to where First Pony stood with the foals.

“First Pony, First Pony, I have a question for you!”

First Pony regarded him with suspicion. “What is your question, dog?”

“My deepest apologies for bothering such a powerful pony, but I require your wisdom. How did the Hoofed Father give your foals life?”

First Pony was pleased with his flattery. “Of course I know this. He molded them out of clay. He gave them the utmost love. He breathed life into them. He created for them hearts of pearl and starlight. That is how he created my foals.”

Star Dog could not contain his laughter. “My deepest gratitude, oh kindest of ponies. I must ask you one more thing, however. Did you not proclaim that you would sooner be split into pieces than see more Star Dogs created?”

First Pony nodded. “The very idea makes me shudder.”

“Then be riven!” cried Star Dog. “For I brought hundred of dogs into the world, and you must now keep your promise!”

First Pony neighed in rage as she fell into three pieces. One was horned, and retained her magic. One was winged, and soared in the skies. One was strong, and knew a connection with the earth. All three chased the wicked dog away from their home. This, my little ones, is how the pony races were divided into three tribes even to this day.

Star Dog ran. He ran from the ponies, and he grinned as he ran, until her reached his home and the unanimated dogs that he had left there.

“I shall make hearts for them of the most perfect diamonds!” Star Dog declared. “They will be better than any creation of the Hoofed One. He will beg my to teach him my skills when he sees my Star Dogs.”

So the trickster placed a small, perfectly cut diamond in the chest of each dog. They awoke slowly, and Star Dog danced with joy to see his creations conscious.

“Go!” he cried to them. “I have given you life! Wreak havoc on the phoenixes! Make mischief for the dragons! Bedevil the ponies! Show them how superior I am in my creation!”

The dogs did not move, however. “What is this?” they asked him. “You made us? We are ugly and ill-formed. Why did you not make us perfect? This is your fault!”

They turned on him, then, and Star Dog was beset by his own creatures. You see, my little ones, he had forgotten to give them love when he formed them. In their hearts of diamond there was only bitterness and jealousy. They attacked their creator, but they had no love for any other creature. They began collecting beautiful gems, for they desired beauty and regretted having none of their own. This, oh my calves, is how the Diamond Dogs came to be. They live in the ground and make mischief for all the other creatures, for in their diamond hearts there is no kindness or love.

And as for Star Dog? He regretted ever having made them, and was mocked for his mistake for many years afterward. It was not the first time he had ever caused trouble for the Old Spirits, however, and it certainly wasn’t the last.

Comments ( 15 )

What a cool idea. I'm assuming you just took the plot for this (and other planned stories) from various Native American cultures, but still, it's a cool adaptation!

1332454

Actually, I made this one up off the top of my head. If I do adapt an existing legend, I'll make sure to put it in the Author's Note:twilightsmile:

1334939 Really? Spectacular work, then! It totally has the feel of a traditional native fabel!

1335047
:raritystarry: Yayyy! *claps hooves* That's wonderful, because I've always loved Native stories and other myths and legends. I mean, I grew up listening to Kipling's Just So Stories, so that probably influenced the style.
Thank you, and I really hope you enjoy my writing! :heart:

1335078 Checked your profile page... You mentioned the Local Natives... Well now I'm obligated to become a fan :rainbowkiss:

Seriously though, I'm now filled with an innate desire to read Fall of the Alicorn, even though I have only the vaguest idea of what it's about.

1335137
Heehee, music has benefited me once again!

It's looking to be an insanely long story that covers the history of Equestria, as seen through the eyes of one character to give it a focal point. The best way to get an idea of where it's going is to look up Cosmicunicorn on Deviantart and read her comic/story Discordantly. That's a basic outline of what I'm going for.

As for the Buffalo Legends, if enough people like it, I'm going to do some follow-up stories. I think a series of Zebra legends that mirror the African Anansi fables is next. Then pony/Northwest pioneer tales (Like Paul Bunyan, Bloody Bones, etc)? Who knows:twilightsmile:

Thank you sosososooooo much for the watch and favorites. It really means a lot to me!:heart:

1335332 The whole cowboys and Indians thing is part of what got me to read this - I'm writing a fic of my own that has a lot of speculation on buffalo culture, and wanted to see how another person would spin it. I think it's weird how much you've written and still you only have a handful of followers. I'm now putting all your other stories on my read later list, once again on general principle. Lawl. Anyways, can't wait to see what they've all got in store for me. On the morrow, my dear sir/ma'am, on the morrow!

1335437
On the morrow indeed! I'm glad to hear you're writing a buffalo- based story; I feel like they don't get nearly enough love. As for my followers... Well, it's hard to get noticed. All I can do is keep on pluggin' along until I get there! I'm definitely going to check out your story when you finish it. Or right now. Probably now.

(I'm a dear madam, to avoid future confusion:twilightsmile:)

1335488 Agreed, it's an underrepresented theme on this site. The story's right here if you want to check it out! But no rush - it's not going anywhere :twilightsmile:

Anyhow. You may have just gotten really unlucky. It happens. One time I submitted a fic, and it was posted at around 5AM Eastern time, and was off the front page before anyone in Morth America had woken up. It got like 2 thumbs up at the time. But hey - now it has 17! Just gotta keep promoting xD

So what I'm getting from this is that the Buffalo are racist against Diamond Dogs?

1598112
If that's what you're getting, then it's certainly a different message than the story was written to impart. It's focused on the individual, the Coyote-esque trickster spirit Star Dog. Racism really doesn't play into it at all. The other three spirits shown here (Phoenix, Old Mountain Dragon, and First Pony) are all aggressive towards him because of his past misdeeds- some of which may be revealed in future installments. The Diamond Dogs themselves are just another race of Equestrian creatures, with a history and culture of their own. This wasn't written to show prejudice, this is a creation myth in the Native American style. Perhaps you should look up some legends involving Coyote or Anansi; I'm sure they'll give you some insight into the story.

I find folklore absolutely fascinating and world building tales like this are some of my favorite pieces of work. Once again your work astounds me, and I once again applaud your fabulous writing skills. :raritywink:

1601589

It's both, technically. I've read a lot of Coyote stories; I wrote a thesis on Coyote as a figure like Epimetheus, who does without thinking then is forced to think a lot about what he has done. The thing about myths is they are far from mere stories. They occupy the same space as sacred literature and fables. On some level they are meant to instruct listeners on important subjects (like the consequences of thoughtlessness) and to support the culture that creates them. They bind up and display all the hopes, fears, loves and hates of their culture like bouquets. You teach the young who to love and who to hate, and say exactly how smart, dumb, noble or vile they are. Other nations are often literally monsters, and the creation of foreigners emphasizes alienness. The takeaway lesson is twofold: Star Dog was foolish, don't do things thoughtlessly; Diamond Dogs may not literally be diamond-hearted brutes (or maybe they believe they are; magic means stuff can happen like that, like Foresworn Briarhearts) but never do business with them, talk to them or interact with them.

Don't get me wrong. I am favoriting this and upthumbing and all of that. It's about the Buffalo and they don't get enough attention. Plus, you really captured the actual core of sacred myths, a litany of jingoism, self-aggrandizement, social order and prejudice. It's a rare skill.

(I'm serious, just read some myths and see how the sacred or exalted characters emphasize and proselytize the sacred and social doctrines of their land and emphatically mistrust outsiders. Greek myths take great pains to emphasize piety and social decorum, to the point of harshly punishing transgressors like Sisyphus. The Divine Comedy is a socio-politico-religious work that uses punishment of ancient and modern figures as a way of propping up the moral system of the time. Fairy tales are all about obedience, deference to monarchs and emphasizing proper action. My favorite, though, is Gawain and the Green Knight.)

Wonderful job you did on this story.

This is an amazing story. I've read my fair share of Greek, Chinese, Japanese and Middle-Eastern mythology, but this one would not be out of place in Native-American myths.

Login or register to comment