• Published 27th Nov 2022
  • 281 Views, 4 Comments

After All This Time - Melody Song



It's been twenty years since Apex first met Zenex. Fifteen years since he stopped talking to him. But it was never because he hated him. In fact, it was quite the opposite.

  • ...
4
 4
 281

I Never Let You Go

Apex held his head high from where he sat on the great willow throne that was his father’s. The twenty years that had passed since he was adopted had done him well. At twenty-five, Apex had become about as tall as his uncle was, thanks to his long legs, and he’d even gained a pair of red antlers. He still had quite a ways to go before he caught up to his father’s height, but his shoulders had become broader, his antlers held their own in height, and the gems in his chest sparkled with the mark of royalty.

The branches of the throne had grown alongside the royal family, sprawling out of the top of the throne and creating grand, interwoven columns covered in leaves and blooming flowers. The great willow’s roots sprawled over the throne room, creating play areas for the nymphs and sectioned spots for relaxing in summer. The rounded dome of blue-green leaves hung down around the Hive, allowing for the changelings to hide or nap in the dangling vines and branches.

Currently, Apex sat proudly on his father’s throne, listening intently as his friend Viorel and the Activities Head, Tibius, updated him on the current activities schedule.

“So you see, we can’t have Theater Club take place at the same time as Crafts, there’s just too much disruption on both ends.” Tibius finished.

“What should we do, Prince Apex?” Viorel asked his friend nervously.

“Hm… well, wha’ if you have the Craf’s combine with Thea’er whenever there’s an o’erlap?” He offered after a minute. “Thea’er only clashes with Craf’s on Tuesday an’ Thursday. The Craf’s Club could help them make se’s an’ props when there’s a clash.” Apex suggested

Tibius and Viorel glanced at each other, then nodded. “That works, thank you, my Prince.” Tibius spoke for them both, before the two headed out of the throne room.

Apex smiled, before turning to look at his proud adoptive father. “Did I do good Papa Thorax?”

“You’re doing wonderfully my little hyper sprite.” Thorax trotted over to embrace his son tightly. “I can’t believe you’re all grown up… it seems like just yesterday that you were small enough to ride on my head…”

Apex giggled and blushed shyly. “Papa Thoraxxx…”

Thorax smiled and kissed his forehead gently. “You make a great leader, Apex.”

“And you’ll make a great General too.” Pharynx spoke up as they entered the throne room, serrated sword strapped to their side, battle scars showing obviously in the sunlight.

“Pharynx, there you are!” Thorax smiled at his twin. “I was wondering where you were.”

“Hero asked me to go over the training course with him one last time.” Pharynx responded, moving over to the two. “But it’s about time for my other deputy to come practice with me.”

“Coming Uncle Pharynx!” Apex hopped down from the throne, smiling up at his father – Apex may have grown, but Thorax and Pharynx had as well, so he still needed to look up to meet their gazes.

“Have fun Apex. Pharynx, please don’t let him get too hurt…” Thorax fussed as he sat down on his throne in Apex’s place, antlers igniting to summon a few official documents.

“Will you relax, Thor? My training may not be nearly as dull as yours is but I know how to keep someone from getting seriously injured.” Pharynx grinned. “That can be saved for the battlefield.”

“Pharynx!”

“Okay, okay, fine. Come on ‘Pex, let’s see if Hive’s done with the training hollow.”

Apex hesitated as he followed his uncle out. “U-Um… H-Hi’e? As in… H-Hi’ehun’er?”

“Yeah, why?” Pharynx glanced back at him in confusion.

“J-Jus’ wonderin’.” Apex caught up with them with a nervous smile. “W-Wha’ did he need i’ for?”

“Some basic training drills. I think Zen was with him.”

There it was. Apex hid his flinch as best as he could, but Pharynx was a trained warrior and had long since adjusted to pick up on every emotion their family emitted. They turned to look at Apex as the two walked down the hallway.

“What’s wrong? I thought you and Zenex were friends.”

“W-We… um, we ‘re.” Apex smiled nervously.

“Your breath hitched when I mentioned his name, and your emotions are getting clouded with anxiety.” Pharynx retorted. “What’s wrong?”

“We…” Apex sighed and unfurled his wings, letting them buzz in a display of nerves. “We, um… we haven’ spoken in a… a while.”

“Why not? Did something happen?”

“Well, e’er since he s’arted dating Flu’erwings…”

“Right, yeah, say no more.” Pharynx grinned at their nephew with a soft chuckle. “Still haven’t gotten over that little nymphood crush, huh?”

“I-h-hey! H-How do you know abou’ that?!” Apex asked with a furious blush on his face.

“Grub, I’m not dense. Thorax and I figured it out a while ago. Well, more like I figured it out and then had to walk him up to it, the dense idiot…”

Apex turned even more red, making Pharynx laugh loudly. “I-I’s no’ funny… b-besides, i’s no’ like you go’ o’er yours!”

“Okay, okay, fine.” A faint blush appeared on Pharynx’s face as Apex’s comeback registered. “But you never answered my question.”

“I-I…” Apex sighed as they left the Hive, heading into the open plains surrounding it. “Yeah… I s’ill like him. B-Bu’ you can’ tell him!”

“Why not?”

“...Ha’e you told Hi’e abou’ your crush–”

“Alright, I get it!” Pharynx interrupted, shushing Apex. “Quiet down about it, will you?”

Apex smirked, but looked away with a sad smile forming on his face. “Bu’ yeah… Z-Zenny an’ I haven’ spoken for a bit…”

“Because of Flutterwings?”

“I’s not jus’ her…” Apex sighed as they headed for the hollow. “I really like him…like, really… b-bu’ he’s jus’...”

Apex trailed off as they walked to the edge of sandy training hollow, and the two stopped to stare at the scene before them. Hivehunter was tussling with his younger brother, the two unreformed changelings scrambling to pin each other down.

Hivehunter had remained mostly the same, though he’d grown taller than he had been twenty years prior. More scars had appeared after the years of fighting in the Special Operations, and one of his fangs was chipped, but those were the only lasting differences. Zenex, meanwhile…

Apex had to suck in a breath through his teeth as he stared at his old friend. Zenex had grown into a stud of a changeling, even broader in the shoulders than Apex was. At thirty-three years old, the unreformed bug now had long fangs, piercing eyes, and his horn had become jagged. His muscles were tense due to the fighting, showing off the scars that marred his smooth chitin, as well as a healed tear in his wing.

“...Buck.” Pharynx breathed, and Apex stifled a giggle. “Shut up, I can taste your lust from here.”

Apex blushed heavily. “He… th-tha’s why I… I s’opped talkin’ to him.”

“...Yeah, okay, I get it now.” Pharynx chuckled.

“‘Re we gonna train or no’?!” Apex hissed, blushing furiously at the topic of conversation.

“Hold your hooves grub… I’ve got to see who wins.” Pharynx said, sitting down at the top of the hollow. Apex sighed, but couldn’t argue since he also wanted to find out which of the brothers would end up triumphant. So, he sat down with his uncle to watch.

Hive and Zenex seemed to be at the end of their tussle. The two had separated from their grappling, and were both panting heavily for breath, seeming eager to get the fight over with. Zenex lunged at his brother, but Hive was ready for him, snatching his hoof and tossing him aside. The younger changeling recovered quickly, and charged headfirst at Hivehunter. Hive ducked his head just in time for their horns to clash together, and they reared on their hind legs, using each other for balance.

“Here, grub, notice how they’re still using each other to balance themselves?” Pharynx asked, not moving their eyes from where the two fought. “Not a true Bipedal Stance.”

“An’ I can’ use my tail or wings.”

“That’s right. We’ll work on that, I think. Ah– hold on, I think Hive’s getting a good grip–”

No sooner had Pharynx said this than Hive’s “good grip” had slipped, thanks to a venomless bite in the shoulder by Zenex. He was promptly flipped over into the sand, and Zenex placed a hoof down on his chest to hold him. Both of them were still panting heavily, sweat running down their faces, but they were smiling. Apex turned to look at Pharynx, giggling to himself as he noted how they seemed shocked Hive had lost.

“Heh, good job Zenny-Boy.” Hive spoke at last, as Zenex moved his hoof, helping his brother up from the ground. “But don’t get too confident, that was a narrow win.”

Zenex grinned, laughing. “Oh, I will be confident, Hivey! ‘Narrow win’ my hoof!”

“I have to agree with Hive on this, Zen.” Pharynx called, standing up to make their way into the hollow as the brothers turned to face them. “He had a firm grip, would have won if you hadn’t played dirty and bit him.”

“Sometimes you gotta play a little dirty.” Zenex shrugged. “You think your enemies are gonna care about what’s dirty and what isn’t?”

“Yeah, whatever.” Pharynx smirked, before turning to Hive. “Are you two about done? I need the hollow.”

“Yep, we’re done for now.” Hive smiled and began patting Zenex’s head frill. “This one wanted to go looking for some pretty flowers for his Flutterwings anyway.”

“Hey! Hiveyyyy!” Zenex protested, laughing.

Apex may still have been at the top of the hollow, but it wasn’t too far away. He could hear the conversation, and he hated how Hive’s words stung his heart. But they did. They hurt him badly, even though he knew he shouldn’t feel this way. Zenex was just a nymphood crush, like Pharynx said. It didn’t matter if they were adults now, it didn’t change anything. Zenex would never love him.

“Apex! Come down here before I drag you down by the ear!” Pharynx shouted up at Apex, gaining his attention at last.

“C-Comin’ sir!” Apex scampered down into the hollow, slowing his step as he reached the three changelings.

“We’ll let you get going on your training then, Phar.” Hive began making his way out of the hollow, Zenex following behind.

Apex meant to keep his head down as Zenex passed, but he could feel the unreformed changeling gazing at him, and looked up nervously. Zenex smiled at him hesitantly.

“Hey ‘Pex… long time no see.”

“Yeah… long time.”

“Well, um… bye.” Zenex waved before following Hive out of the hollow.

“...Smooth.” Pharynx chuckled, and Apex punched them in the shoulder. “Okay, fine. Let’s just start working on the Bipedal Stance.”

After their training, Apex decided to go on a solo patrol, to clear his head. Pharynx headed back towards the Hive, after making Apex promise to return before dinner. He wandered through the forests at the edge of the territory. As he walked, Apex began to recognize the area around him.

“Wai’... this is…”

“Hero’s old campsite.”

Apex whipped around with a yelp, eyes going wide. Zenex stood behind him with a fond smile.

“Z-Zen?” Apex asked softly, as the unreformed changeling stepped closer.

“Heh, remember when he showed us how to set snares, and Pharynx got caught in one trying to find us?” Zenex laughed as he recalled the moment, and Apex had to smile as he remembered seeing Pharynx hanging from a tree, demanding to be let down.

“Y-Yeah… w-wha’ ‘re you doin’ here…? I-I though’ Hive sai’ you were gettin’ flowers?”

“He, um, yeah…” Zenex sighed. “I was going to, but Flutters and I have kind of been… on the rocks for a while.”

“Oh, um… sor’y…” Apex looked away from Zenex, ignoring the hope bubbling up in his chest.

“Yeah… I don’t really… feel that spark with her anymore.” Zenex sighed as he sat down in the clearing. “I miss the way we used to be, when we were just friends.”

Apex looked away. “I… I miss you an’ me bein’ friends.”

“I do too.” Zenex sighed. “Why have you been avoiding me, if you miss it?”

“I jus’... I can’ talk ‘bout it.” Apex said, turning away. “I-I should go back, Papa Thorax wan’ed me to practice bein’ in charge some mo’e…”

“Apex, stop it… just tell me the truth.” Zenex blocked his path.

“I-I can’ tell you!” Apex snapped, storming past the older changeling and further into the trees.

“Apex, wait!”

He wasn’t heading for the Hive, but he didn’t really care. He just needed to get away from Zenex. Away from all the memories. Apex could hear Zenex chasing him through the forest, calling out for him. Running as fast as he could, Apex barged through the greenery, unaware of where he was going.

“Apex! Apex, stop!”

“No Zen!”

“No, seriously, stop!”

Zenex’s warning came too late, and Apex let out a yelp of surprise as his hooves found only air with his next stride. Momentarily weightless, Apex cried out as he fell down the slope, gasping as he hit the side of the hill. Finally, he tumbled to the bottom with a thud, and lay still on the ground, trying to catch his breath.

“Apex!” Zenex flew down the hill, landing by his old friend’s side. “A-Apex, are you alright?”

Apex groaned as he pushed himself off the ground. “Y-Yeah… yeah, ‘m fine…”

“I told you not to keep running.” Zenex huffed as he pulled Apex up from the ground.

“I jus’ though’… that you were tryin’ to…”

“I know.” Zenex sighed and looked around. “Where are we?”

Apex took a moment to take in their surroundings as well. The steep hill he’d fallen down had given way to a dusty field. There were a few plants here and there, but otherwise the area was almost a desert. Clearly, they were outside of the range of the Hive’s love magic, which was what caused the plants in their home to grow lush and bright.

“Looks like ou’side the Hive’s terri’ory.” Apex sighed. “We were on the North bor’er, the one closes’ to Eques’ria, so…”

“Well, better start making our way back then…” Zenex looked up the hill they had gone down. “I think we can just fly up. Your wings weren’t hurt, were they?”

“No. ‘M fine.” Apex unfurled his wings and gave them an experimental buzz, smiling softly as they allowed him to hover. “See?”

“That’s good. Pretty sure Pharynx would’ve killed me if I let you get hurt.” Zenex chuckled, taking off as well. Apex chose not to respond, and merely began flying up the hill. “Hey, uh… ‘Pexy?”

He stiffened slightly at the old nickname. Only Zenex had ever called him that – he’d only ever allowed Zenex to call him that. Just hearing it made his heart ache with longing for the days when he was truly happy. He flicked his ears to tell Zenex he was listening, though he stayed silent as the unreformed changeling finished his thought.

“Listen, I, um… if… if I ever did anything that made you think that… that I didn’t want to be friends anymore… I didn’t mean to. I do want to be friends, I miss being your friend, ‘Pexy. I miss playing together, a-and being the Lil’ Fangs together…”

Apex flattened his ears to his head as he landed on the ground at the top of the hill. Zenex landed beside him, and he knew he was watching him, waiting for a response.

“I… I ne’er wan’ed to no’ be friends.” Apex looked up at Zenex with tears brimming in his eyes.

“Then why did you anyway…?”

“I-I’... i’ hur’ too much.” Apex turned away from him, heading back into the trees.

“It… it hurt? Wait, I don’t understand–”

“T-Too bad.”

“Pexy!” Zenex jumped in front of him again, hoof slamming down on the ground. “Enough of this, just tell me the truth!”

“I-I can’–!”

“Yes you can! I-I have a right to know why you don’t want to be friends anymore! You can’t just ignore someone for fifteen bucking years and not tell them why!” Zenex shouted, tears streaming down his face. “What did I do, Pexy?! W-Why can’t we still be friends?!”

“You didn’ do anything!”

“Well, what other explanation is there?!”

“I-I buckin’ love you, okay?!” Apex screamed in Zenex’s face, before his eyes snapped wide open, and he covered his own mouth with a hoof. Zenex was staring at him in shock.

“Y-You… you what…?”

Apex let out a sob and ran for it, pushing past the vines and low branches. He sobbed openly as he ran, hoof moving to wipe his tears. He could hear Zenex calling for him again, but he didn’t want to stop. He didn’t want to face him.

“Apex, please wait!”

Unfortunately for Apex, Zenex was a formidable warrior, and a fast runner. He caught Apex’s shoulder to halt him, causing the young prince to stumble to a stop. Zenex steadied him with a gentle hoof around him, and Apex reluctantly lifted his head to look him in the eyes. Zenex was staring at him with his beautiful blue and green eyes. Apex had always mentally compared them to gemstones, because of the way they would sparkle with love and light.

“Apex… I-I never knew that you… that you felt that way…”

“I-I… I kep’ tellin’ myself i’ would go away.” Apex whispered. “T-Tha’ i’ was jus’ a nymphood crush, a-an’ one day I’d wake up an’ reali’e tha’ you don’... tha’ we could ne’er be a thing. Bu’ then you an’ Flu’erwings go’ serious when you were eigh’een a-an’ I s’ill fel’ the same…”

“And that’s when you… you started avoiding me…”

“I’ hur’ too much.” Apex wiped at his eyes with a sad smile. “K-Knowin’ tha’ you were happy w-while I was broken…”

“Oh, ‘Pexy…” Zenex hugged his friend tightly, letting the younger changeling cry into him. “I didn’t know…”

“I know…” Apex sniffled and cried. “I-I didn’ wanna tell you… I-I couldn’... no’ when i’ would ruin e’erything you had…”

“I think it’s safe to say everything I have is already ruined.” Zenex pulled away with a soft sigh. “I don’t… I really, really like Flutterwings… but I don’t think I love her. Maybe I did at first… but now… it’s just empty.”

Apex sniffled, wiping his eyes. “‘M sorry…”

“It’s not your fault ‘Pexy.” Zenex smiled sadly as he reached to wipe the tears from Apex’s face. “It’s noling’s fault. I-I just… outgrew her, I guess.”

Apex looked down at the ground. “I-I don’ wan’ you to… to feel like you got’a do anything for me, Zenny…”

“I don’t have to.” Zenex lifted his chin. “But I want to.”

Apex’s eyes widened as Zenex leaned in. Apex leaned in as well, and their lips met in a gentle kiss. Zenex held the kiss for a minute, before pulling back with a smile, and a soft laugh.

“W-Was I just… your first kiss?”

Apex snorted, and smirked. “Nope.”

“Wait, what?!” Zenex let out a surprised bark of laughter. “Who was then?!”

“U-Um… le’s jus’ say tha’ Flurry Hear’ is one lucky mare.”

“Wait, isn't she dating–? Apex your first kiss was one of the Cake Twins?! Which one? C'mon, tell me, tell me!”

Apex blushed furiously. “Tha’s classified!”

“Heh, sure ‘Pexy.” Zenex smiled fondly. “Was I at least better than either one of them it was?”

“A-A million times.” Apex breathed, leaning in to nuzzle him. “I-I really… really like you Zenny…”

“I really like you too.” Zenex smiled softly, nuzzling back. “I… I want to see… see what this can become… if you want it too.”

“I do.” Apex responded quietly, blushing.

Zenex smiled at him widely, before blinking as he came to another realization. “I… I should probably go tell Flutterwings I want to break up… and maybe not mention that you and I kissed…”

“O-Oh, yeah.” Apex began giggling. “You’e dead.”

“Hey! It’s not funny!”

“I’ kinda is…”

Zenex huffed, but couldn’t resist joining in the laughter. “O-Okay, yeah, I guess it’s kinda funny… but Flutters is definitely going to kill me.”

“I won’ le’ her.” Apex puffed up his chest with a grin. “Af’er all, I’m the fu’ure King-Gen’ral.”

“Well then, future King-General Apex, would you kindly escort my lowly peasant self back to the Hive so that I may break up with my girlfriend?” Zenex asked, giving Apex an exaggerated bow. “I would be ever so grateful if you could also protect my sorry flank should things go south.”

“I’ would be my pleasu’e,” Apex pulled Zenex up with a giggle. “Lieutenan’ Zenex.”

Zenex laughed as Apex lead him through the trees. “–But seriously, you will protect me, right? Because I am honestly terrified of Flutters. She can be scary when she wants to, not to mention her brothers…”

“Oh, yeah, sure Zenny.” Apex smirked at Zenex, tilting his head slightly to look at him. “I’ll protec’ you from them. Well, Flu’ers. You’e on your own for Scorch an’ Venom.”

“What? No, please!”

“Sor’y Zenny, bu’ wha’ was i’ you sai’ earlier? ‘Pharynx woul’ kill me if I le’ you ge’ hur’?”

“You know exactly what I meant by that.”

Apex giggled and leaned over to gently nip Zenex’s earfin. “C’mon Zenny, le’s jus’ ge’ back. We can figu’e ou’ who’s protec’in who when we ge’ home.”

“Yeah, sounds good.” Zenex chuckled, leaning against Apex as they walked.

The two changelings made their way back through the forest, heading for their home. The path that lay before them was unknown, full of feelings and thoughts yet to be uncovered. But neither of them wanted to waste another moment thinking about what might never have been. They were prepared to brave the unknown, together.

Even if eventually, one outgrew the other, they were both happy now. And that was all that mattered.

Author's Note:

My second fic for the M/M contest, hope you all enjoyed!

Zenex belongs to MlpHero, go check out his stories!

~Melody Song

Comments ( 4 )

Very cute story! I think the speech pattern got a bit distracting at the start, but I was able to get into the rhythm of it eventually. I like how you positioned the characters and their history, and Pharynx was a great choice for a mentor figure (and well-written!). Nice work!

i did like the contrasting things Pharynx and Thorax brought to their fatherhood/mentorhood of Apex in the beginning. i get the feeling that i should already be familiar with who Zenex is going into this story to fully appreciate it, though. and the ending

The two changelings made their way back through the forest, heading for their home. The path that lay before them was unknown, full of feelings and thoughts yet to be uncovered. But neither of them wanted to waste another moment thinking about what might never have been. They were prepared to brave the unknown, together.

Even if eventually, one outgrew the other, they were both happy now. And that was all that mattered.

is very nice. thank you for writing!

11505077
Thank you for commenting! But I do agree, Zenex is a character I probably could have written a little better so context isn't needed. Since he and Hive are both characters I borrowed from MlpHero I wanted to give Hero the credit for them, and redirect people to his stories for more details on their past. But going forward, I'll try not to make that mistake again

Login or register to comment