• Published 23rd Sep 2012
  • 7,061 Views, 48 Comments

Geoverse Part Four: The Farmer And The Spy - GeodesicDragon



At the end of To Live Is Human, John said he loved Applejack. This story tells how he won her heart.

  • ...
13
 48
 7,061

Honesty and Truth

CHAPTER TWO

Honesty and Truth

Several months passed, and finally the day I had been waiting on for so long was upon us.

Well, one of them, at least.

Twilight went into labour and gave birth to two unicorn foals - one colt, and one filly.

The news reached us at Sugarcube Corner courtesy of Geo. I thought it was rather callous of the Royal Guard to tear him away from his kids so soon, but as he said, he still had a sentence to carry out.

In spite of his current situation, Geo insisted that we celebrate.

"Just because I'm going to jail," he said, "doesn't mean you all have my permission to be glum. Celebrate the new lives, and do it in style. Pinkie Pie, I'm talking to you."

Pinkie fixed a smile on her face and nodded as Geo was led away.

"Remember," he called over his shoulder, "I'll know if you haven't been partying! So do it already!"

Pinkie didn't need to be told twice. She walked over to the stereo and started the music. Soon, everypony was having fun, just like Geo wanted. Well, demanded.

Twilight was there as well, with the new foals. She was watching them like a hawk.

"Hey, Twi," I said as I approached, "how are you coping?"

She looked at me and sighed.

"About as well as can be expected," she replied, "given that my husband, and primary breadwinner, is in jail."

I rubbed the back of my neck.

"Sorry, Twi." I said. "I didn't mean for that to sound so stupid."

"It's okay." she said. "I'll ... we'll be fine, as long as we have our friends helping us."

"And you do." I said quickly. "Anything you need, let me know. Geo is my best mate, after all. And after the way I acted, its the least I could do."

Twilight hugged me.

"Thanks, John." she said. "It's good to know I have friends I can rely on."

I returned the hug.

"Don't mention it." I replied. "It's what friends do."

"Oh, Ah'm sorry, but am Ah interruptin' somethin'?"

Twilight and I broke away from each other and saw Applejack standing in front of us, a warm smile on her face.

"You are, as it happens." I said. "Twilight needed cheering up, so I stepped in and told her that I'll help her however I can."

"We all will, sugarcube." Applejack said, turning to Twilight. "After all, it's what friends do."

My heart did a somersault in my chest. I guess great minds really do think alike.

"Yer startin' ta look a might flustered again, pardner." Applejack said, looking at me. "Are ya sure yer all right?"

I nodded, because I had forgotten how to talk.

"Well, if'n ya say so." she said. "Ah'm gonna get some punch. Either of y'all want one?"

Twilight and I shook our heads.

"All right, darlin's."

After looking into the cot and going slightly mad over the new foals, Applejack left, and I found my voice again.

I let out a huge sigh.

Twilight giggled.

"You love her, don't you?" she asked.

I wheeled around on the spot and looked at her.

"How did you-?" I spluttered.

"I went through the exact same phase with Geo." she replied. "Why don't you tell her how you feel, before it's too late?"

"It's difficult." I said, lowering my head.

"How is it?" Twilight asked. "All you do is say 'I love you'."

I chuckled.

"It's not like that." I said. "She's the Element of Honesty, and I'm a former spy. I used to tell lies for a living. If I tell her how I feel, who's to say she won't think I'm lying about it? That I'm playing some kind of prank on her?"

Twilight sighed.

"You used to be a spy." she said sternly. "You used to lie for a living. Everything I've heard from your mouth since that day at the library has been the truth, pure and simple. I know it, you know it, and I'm pretty sure Applejack does as well."

I stood still for a moment, processing this information. And I soon realised that Twilight was right.

"I never thought of it like that." I said. "I have been telling the truth all this time."

Twilight smiled.

"Thanks, Twi." I hugged her. "You've taken a load off my mind."

"Happy to have helped." she replied, returning the hug.

After a while, I broke away and looked at the new foals, both of whom were still asleep.

"It's amazing." I said. "If a human baby was quiet for this long, people would get worried."

Twilight tapped her horn.

"Since they're my children, they're connected to me." she said. "I can feel what's right and wrong with them. And right now, they're both happy."

"Have you thought of any names yet?" I asked.

Twilight shook her head.

"That's still being decided." she replied.

I smiled.

"Thanks again for the chat, Twi." I said, taking a step towards the door. "Now, if you'll excuse me..."

Twilight nodded knowingly.

"Go get 'er, champ." she said, using a phrase she obviously picked up from Geo.

I grinned and went to find Applejack. I couldn't see her, so I decided to ask somepony where she went. I saw Pinkie Pie sitting with Ace by the stereo, her legs wrapped around his chest.

"Hey, Pinkie." I said as I approached. "Sup, Doc?"

Ace waved a hand at me.

"What's up with him?" I asked.

"He's tired out from all the dancing we've been doing!" Pinkie said excitedly. "I want to do more, but apparently humans have a limit."

I laughed.

"Have you seen AJ anywhere?" I asked.

Pinkie thought for a moment, a hoof on her chin, and her face contorting into a look of concentration.

"Uhh, yeah! I have!" she said. "She left a few minutes ago to go get a fresh batch of apple pies from the farm!"

"Thanks, Pinkie." I said. "I'll go give her a hand. Try not to kill the doctor while I'm gone!"

Ace grinned.

"It'll take more than a dance crazy marefriend to finish me off." he grunted, getting to his feet. "Come on, Pinks. Round fifteen!"

Pinkie dragged Ace onto the dance floor as I left the bakery and went up the road to Sweet Apple Acres.

As I walked, and sometimes jogged, along the track, I was expecting to hear the voice in the back of my head admonishing me for what I was trying to do.

But all I heard instead was what Twilight told me.

"Everything I've heard from your mouth since that day at the library has been the truth, pure and simple. I know it, you know it, and I'm pretty sure Applejack does as well."

I repeated these words to myself over and over as I gave up jogging in favour of sprinting.

As the farm came into view, I could see Applejack in the distance, loading a cart with fresh baked goods. I slowed to a walking pace as I mentally prepared myself to confess everything.

It was now or never.

And never wasn't an option.