• Published 17th Oct 2022
  • 1,435 Views, 69 Comments

Outhorse your Email - Admiral Biscuit



The Icelandic Tourism Board promoted outhorsing your email. Flim and Flam, not concerned with copyright infringement, took it a step further.

  • ...
1
 69
 1,435

Copyright Infringement

Outhorse Your Email
Admiral Biscuit

Alright everybody, this has been on my to-do pile for a while, and now it’s time to finally post it! Get yourself a drink and kick back, you know the drill.


We’re gonna talk about the time that Flim and Flam ran—well, I almost want to call it a scam, but the truth is that they did exactly what they said they were going to do, and they might still be doing it, except for the inevitable lawsuit.

. . . As if anybody’s surprised that there was a lawsuit.

It wasn’t that long ago that the Iceland tourism board went viral with their ‘Outhorse Your Email’ promo. They built a giant computer keyboard, and trained native Icelandic horses to walk across it. Made a slick website with some glamor shots of horses, along with their skills. HRÍMNIR FRÁ HVAMMI, for example, is assertive, efficient, and has shiny hair.

Maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s Marebelline.

•••

I don’t need to tell you how Flim and Flam can sniff out an opportunity, a chance to make a quick buck—or a quick bit. And I should also point out that there are legitimate ways for a pony to get online. It involves paperwork and the speed with which human and Equestrian bureaucracy moves, something which neither Flim nor Flam had any time to deal with. ‘Outhorsing’ was here now, and they could jump on that train if they acted fast.

A few ethernet cables strung through the portal, a collection of computers bought cheap from a corporate downsizing (with a cashier’s check that might or might not bounce). A young pony who’s got a computer-related cutie mark to set them up . . . it turns out that exposure to Earth and its rich pastiche of technology and culture has invigorated what some might consider a stagnant cutie mark pool.

[That does lead one to consider the implications of cutie marks, especially as industry and technology evolve at a quicker and quicker pace; do some fillies and colts now get cutie marks in a field which hits its maturity at the same time they do, or is there a lag? Does somepony have a cell phone cutie mark before the first cell tower is constructed (and maybe she has no idea what it means)? Or are they constantly playing catch-up with their Marks?]

Both Flim and Flam were smart enough to understand that an actual horse couldn’t read an incoming email, and realize that they could offer an identical service with employees who couldn’t read English . . . or read at all. After all, Princess Celestia’s goal of universal literacy for all her ponies (as well as pony-adjacent species) was only a few decades old, and there were plenty of ponies who had not attended school at all or who had quit early to work on a family farm.

Maybe it was actually a noble gesture. Tech jobs (which this technically was) tend to pay better than working-class jobs, and were generally out of reach of ponies who couldn’t read, ponies who could quickly be taught to bang out letters on a keyboard and push a ‘send’ button. Or more likely, it was an understanding of the market forces at work and a way to get warm rumps in seats without paying too much.

Either way, they had a small cubical farm set up, and two tiers of employee ready to deal with ‘outhorsed’ email: those who could read and respond at least somewhat appropriately, and the larger pool who would type nonsense, only trained to fill up a certain part of the editing window then hit the green SEND button and await their next email to ‘outhorse.’

I met one of the ‘type nonsense’ mares at a restaurant at the height of their business. Bless her heart, she was trying her best to be a good employee.

She had purchased a copy of Flim and Flam’s book, Teach Yourself to Read. As was their style, they promised that once you had read your way through their book, you’d know how to read, and they weren't wrong. As a learning aid, the book was useless, but it did technically do what it promised.

Her enthusiasm for the job was almost infectious; while we were waiting for our food, I actually considered the benefits of joining the team. And, in the interests of full disclosure, I filled out an application and was waiting for an interview when they hastily closed up shop . . . we’ll get to that.

•••

Flim and Flam knew the right places to spend money. Someone who was actually competent made the website and networked all the computers. And they got business, maybe more than they could handle. Their website had glamor shots of ponies and short biographies; they had a video showcasing their little cubicle farm. My friend even had a short appearance, squinting at the screen and then happily banging away on her keyboard. It was honestly higher production quality than was required to sell their product—ignoring the potential copyright infringement, who wouldn’t get the warm fuzzies inside at the thought of some technicolored pony answering pointless corporate emails with little to no skill at the task?

Who hasn’t considered all the time-wasting our jobs entail, and the advantage of skiving some of it off on somebody—or somepony else? A higher level of management sends an urgent email which does nothing but reveal their complete lack of understanding of the job at hand, and the thought of them getting pure nonsense in reply is worth a few dozen dollars a month.

It was a money-making machine, as long as it lasted.

Thing was, while Flim and Flam were plenty skilled at setting up dubious business ventures as quickly as they noticed that there might be a demand, they had no chance against human lawyers. Getting the paperwork through the portal took a few months; there was plenty of traffic and a cease-and-desist copyright suit from Iceland was hardly a high priority.

Lawsuits could be fought; besides the established firms, there were a fair number of ponies with novel cutie marks percolating through their adolescent and young adult years. It would have been expensive and time-consuming, but they might have ultimately prevailed.

That wasn’t their tactic. Flim and Flam’s business experience had taught them that the best way to deal with adversity was to gallop off and regroup elsewhere.

They had learned enough about business to have a number of corporate entities handling payroll and other expenses; a few cut-outs and some heavy-duty plausible deniability let them skate off scot free. The illicit ethernet cables got pulled, and when the internet stopped working, word traveled around the office in lieu of an official shutdown notice.

•••

Some big tech firms have big, shiny offices or huge campuses, while a lot of the backbone of the web is in unassuming buildings that could have anything. Their leased office space was rented out in the short term to a typing pool, keeping some of the literate talent, and using some of the computers that got left behind.

Not all the computers, because more than a few ponies realized that they weren’t going to get a final paycheck, and took their computer home with them.

•••

A few people—and ponies—thought that this was Equestria’s first tech scam, pre-dating even the even more short-lived (virtual) mail-order Changeling bride or groom program.

Y’all know the details of how that turned out.

I wouldn’t call it a scam, though. Not exactly. The fact is, they did exactly what they said they were going to do. Anybody could pay a fee, and any emails that they sent to be ‘outhorsed’ would indeed be replied to by a pony. One who couldn’t read at the cheapest subscription level, and one who could at a higher tier.

As for the workers—as I already mentioned, some of the literate ones who got good with computers neatly transitioned into a new career at the same place, now working in a typing pool. Most of the others were used to working short-term jobs anyway, so they weren’t too bothered about losing this job. There was always plenty of other work available, especially for a pony who was willing to try something new.

Some months after the debacle, I met my friend for lunch again. She’d taken a computer and had figured out how to use MSPaint on it, and now had a new career as a digital artist, one of the first in Equestria.

She’d even spent some of the money she’d earned to enroll in adult education classes, since it turned out that Teach Yourself to Read wasn’t a very good resource.

Author's Note:

Pre-read by Snowliason


Source

Comments ( 69 )

Is Snek a pony-friendly version of Python?

11395967
I would assume so


I don't know much about writing code.

I technically edited this. XD

I like the multi-tiered pricing structure, very clever of them.

I'm glad your friend was able to keep working n_n

11395999

I like the multi-tiered pricing structure, very clever of them.

Their business schemes skirt the edge of what's legal (from either side, depending), but they're not fools. The best business is the one that gets the most bits the quickest, and if multi-tiered service is the way to go, so be it.

I'm glad your friend was able to keep working n_n

What she took from the job (literally) helped her land on her hooves :heart:

Maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s Marebelline.

I can remember their ad campaign
"Does she or doesn't she? Only her hair dresser knows for sure. "
Mad magazine commented that they needed a warning label "Continued use is imperative otherwise it will become apparent that the user 'does' ".

:derpytongue2:

She had purchased a copy of Flim and Flam’s book, Teach Yourself to Read . As was their style, they promised that once you had read your way through their book, you’d know how to read, and they weren't wrong. As a learning aid, the book was useless, but it did technically do what it promised.

:facehoof: Have I expressed my adoration for you lately, Admiral? It's shit like this that I live for.

Not all the computers, because more than a few ponies realized that they weren’t going to get a final paycheck, and took their computer home with them.

Smart.

And a pony in a hoodie as a capper. :heart:

I wouldve thought that govt work for the royal Palace, wouldve been done on machines by Big Blue, and using REXX? :moustache:

11396003
Very true!

And definitely not worth looking a gift horse in the mouth. :raritywink:

Why isn't there an alternate universe tag?

11396004

Mad magazine commented that they needed a warning label "Continued use is imperative otherwise it will become apparent that the user 'does' ".

Same goes with hair dye, or so I've heard. Some people had problems during the pandemic (although I have to imagine that an observant partner would know).

11396006

Have I expressed my adoration for you lately, Admiral? It's shit like this that I live for.

:heart:
It may be useless, but it technically does what it says it does.

Smart.

It's not theft if the company is no longer a thing, right?

And a pony in a hoodie as a capper. :heart:

Ponies in hoodies are the best. That's just a fact.

11396007

I wouldve thought that govt work for the royal Palace, wouldve been done on machines by Big Blue, and using REXX? :moustache:

I'm sure the actual Equestrian government has a nice computer setup, probably provided for free by some company who thinks they can get downstream sales throughout Equestria. Flim and Flam's business, well, not so much.

11396022

Why isn't there an alternate universe tag?

Because it's based on a true story?

Why do puppies and pones look so darn cute in hoodies?

Flim and Flam might be many things and may let their pride (SSCS6k) get the better of them, but out-right fools they are not. If they could only be convinced that their ability to dream big and think outside the box were assets to legit business they could really go places.

11396046

Why do puppies and pones look so darn cute in hoodies?

I don't know, but I'm okay with it. We all need cute things in our lives.

Flim and Flam might be many things and may let their pride (SSCS6k) get the better of them, but out-right fools they are not. If they could only be convinced that their ability to dream big and think outside the box were assets to legit business they could really go places.

I think that their abilities to dream big and think outside the box are assets to legit businesses, I think that they prefer to take the quickest route to brief success and then run away when things go south. If they spent more time building a business with one of their good ideas, they might do better.

EDIT: or at least have a longer-running business

This looks like a blend of your story notes and the actual story. I don't know if I should be concerned.

11396089

This looks like a blend of your story notes and the actual story. I don't know if I should be concerned.

It's exactly how it should be, since it's based on a true story.

11395967
11395972
Snek is... "a tiny embeddable language targeting processors with only a few kB of flash and ram". So, not something you would write desktop or web software in, but something you might program a headset or microcontroller with. It's essentially a subset of Python, though, so any snek program will run on a full Python (version 3) implementation.

source

This was fun! :pinkiehappy:

Where can I read more about the "mail-order Changeling bride or groom program"? :rainbowlaugh:

11396045
How is this based on a true story?

Thanks for sharing about that. I am looking for more information about it. I will follow you to update the latest posts. DinarRecaps.com

Comment posted by StarlightSparkle deleted Oct 17th, 2022

11396149
That gets me thinking -- equestria is a new market without established conventions for consumer electronics, and with different traditions and user environments. I wonder if there would be a place for super simple, cheap and ruggedized "PC-likes" running on embedded/mobile platforms like KaiOS or similar; just enough for basic internet functionality, just $10 each, "feels" like a PC, easy to learn but not as flexible or capable as full fat desktops.

Really wonderful story, thank you

She spelled 'friends' 'FWENZ!' I'm dyin' over here!

HRÍMNIR FRÁ HVAMMI

Rhymes From Why. The other horses are LITLA STJARNA FRÁ HVÍTARHOLTI (Little Stars From The White Body) and HEKLA FRÁ ÞORKELLSHÓLI (Crochet From THORKELLHÓL). Those are pratically Equestrian!

She had purchased a copy of Flim and Flam’s book, Teach Yourself to Read.

You have to worry about the basic logic skills of Celestia's subjects.

A few people—and ponies—thought that this was Equestria’s first tech scam, pre-dating even the even more short-lived (virtual) mail-order Changeling bride or groom program.
Y’all know the details of how that turned out.

No, no, no, no, no. You don't just dangle that little story nugget in front of us and leave us hanging. This has prime comedy potential!

This was great, Biscuit.

11396149

Snek is... "a tiny embeddable language targeting processors with only a few kB of flash and ram".

I love finding out that this is a real programming language.

11396189

This was fun! :pinkiehappy:

Thanks!

Where can I read more about the "mail-order Changeling bride or groom program"? :rainbowlaugh:

You mean you don't already know how it went? :trollestia:

11396193

How is this based on a true story?

How isn't it? Flim and Flam are hucksters and conponies and shady businessponies, and the Iceland Tourism Board really did create an 'outhorse your email' imitative.

11396285

Thanks for sharing about that. I am looking for more information about it. I will follow you to update the latest posts.

I can't promise that there will be more updates, but you never know. Ponies do silly things sometimes but they're cute and easily forgivable.

11396322
That was indeed the inspiration for the story :heart:

11396366
As I recall, there are laptops designed for developing countries that are simple and rugged and not highly-featured (ditto for some tech designed for young children).

I could see there being a huge debate in the tech world with what kind of computers ponies would want or buy, and what might be useful and affordable to a market who has no idea what a computer does or is for, and I could see someone who makes a cheap, durable computer might manage to get a good foothold in Equestria. A cheap price, easy interface, and durability would be popular, and of course ponies who wanted more features once they'd used the one they had to its full potential could buy a bigger, better setup.

11396756

Rhymes From Why. The other horses are LITLA STJARNA FRÁ HVÍTARHOLTI (Little Stars From The White Body) and HEKLA FRÁ ÞORKELLSHÓLI (Crochet From THORKELLHÓL). Those are pratically Equestrian!

They really are.

You have to worry about the basic logic skills of Celestia's subjects.

Yeah, although humans fall into those same traps, so. . . .

No, no, no, no, no. You don't just dangle that little story nugget in front of us and leave us hanging. This has prime comedy potential!

I'm sure you can guess what happens and why it got shut down really quick.

This was great, Biscuit.

Thank you! :heart:

QWERTY, DVORAK, EQUINE?

That said, that was an odd story. Feels more like a concept than a story.

11397009
Equine equals two keys (and a space bar)

It's more in the style of my blog posts than normal stories, but then I've done stories as blog posts, too, so. . . .

11397063

I would imagine something like the OrbiTouch would be perfect for little pony hooves

That would work for them, or they could use pens to hunt-and-peck, or figure for the ponies replying with gibbrish that it doesn't really matter how they input things into the keyboard; hooves applied to the keys is as good as anything else.

This was a cure, sweet little story. I could not help but make some little AI assisted Office Ponies doodles:

Yay, so many office ponies! :heart:

That AI is pretty good, not gonna lie.

11396952
From what I can find, raspberry pis are used as the main educational computers in some schools in Duran of Ecuador, Cameroon and West Africa.

Smartphone-likes that run internet capable firmware like KaiOS, but are not powerful enough to run full fat smartphone firmware like Android, are also popular in developing nations. Examples include the Jiophone/Jiophone 2 in India and the Ghia GQWERTY in Mexico.

In history, there was a time where the poorer quality but more affordable ZX Spectrum took Europe by storm.

In regions with poor internet connectivity, the ability to manage software yourself or share them with people within the local area is also important, as getting updates from a centralized overseas server would be difficult. This means that platforms that were easily programmable and modifiable would be valued.

oh my Friendship I am so in love with the word "outhorsing" :heart: :heart: :heart:

I actually knew this was you from that word alone before I looked at the author tag

This is infringes trademark —— ¡not copyright!

If the ponies would work on the name (TradeMakInfringement) and not mention Iceland, they could make it legal.

u7y;gggggjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

derpicdn.net/img/view/2015/10/1/991712.gif

Rough transliteration: “Dear Princess Celestia, How does one type with gentlemare’s sports gloves hooves?

11397226

From what I can find, raspberry pis are used as the main educational computers in some schools in Duran of Ecuador, Cameroon and West Africa.

Smartphone-likes that run internet capable firmware like KaiOS, but are not powerful enough to run full fat smartphone firmware like Android, are also popular in developing nations. Examples include the Jiophone/Jiophone 2 in India and the Ghia GQWERTY in Mexico.

Yeah, I haven't really been following that tech, but I recall seeing some low-featured laptops being marketed to developing nations. Heck, while Netbooks weren't a long-lasting fad in the US, that kind of thing could also be popular in a less technological setting. I used mine for years longer than it was really useful as a glorified iPod, since it had most of the hard drive filled with music and I had a set of computer speakers I wasn't using for anything else.

In regions with poor internet connectivity, the ability to manage software yourself or share them with people within the local area is also important, as getting updates from a centralized overseas server would be difficult. This means that platforms that were easily programmable and modifiable would be valued.

Besides the real life applications, that would also be useful in Equestria as human tech rolls out. Odds are that there would be limited connectivity most places, maybe internet cafes or something like that.

Exploring how human tech would roll out in Equestria (or if it could) isn't really my normal fare, since it gets complicated really quick and I'm more of a 'buy a box from Best Buy when I need one' person, so I'd have to do a lot of research and theorizing to see how it would work in a more serious fic.

11397515

oh my Friendship I am so in love with the word "outhorsing" :heart: :heart: :heart:
I actually knew this was you from that word alone before I looked at the author tag

Sadly I can't take credit for coming up with it; the Iceland Tourism Board legit came up with it as a publicity stunt.

There was no way I could not use it in a fic, though--'outhorsing' is a fantastic word.

11397517

also dat story pic :rainbowlaugh:

Thanks to the comments, I learned that 'snek' is actually a programming language.

Login or register to comment