• Published 5th Oct 2022
  • 2,668 Views, 538 Comments

Forgotten: Mists of Bridlewood - milesprower06



A new student has come to Sunset Shimmer's fledgling magic school in Bridlewood, and she immediately begins to arouse the headmare's suspicions...

  • ...
5
 538
 2,668

Scooter

Sunset sat reclined in a lawn chair outside of Izzy's house, watching as her protege, armed with a new magical masking spell, apply coats of paint remover to the scooter she had brought back to her home. Before she worked on anything mechanical, she wanted to get all the chipped and dull paint off and ready to apply a fresh coat when everything was up and running.

"This spell is amazing," Izzy told her teacher, as she continued wiping the acetone-soaked rag across the vehicle. "I don't breathe in any fumes, and no weight to the mask!"

"Again, it's all you, Izzy. You sure picked it up awfully fast. For a lot of ponies, their emotions boost their magical ability. So you must really be looking forward to getting this thing restored, up and running," Sunset replied.

"You can say that again."

"So what did you do before you took that trip to Maretime Bay?" Sunset asked.

"Pretty much what I want to do with this scooter; fixed, restored, and renewed knickknacks of unicorns around the forest."

"That was how you made a living?" Sunset asked.

"If you can call it that..." Izzy replied.

For as often as she tried, Sunset couldn't imagine life in Bridlewood before reunification. A unicorn village without magic, and absolutely full of superstition.

"So what made you want to go to Maretime Bay? From what Sunny tells me, that's what set off the chain of events that led to Equestria becoming reunited," Sunset asked.

"She had launched a small weather balloon with her dad when she was little, an invitation for pegasi and unicorns to come to Maretime Bay. It drifted into Bridlewood, where I was staying with Alphabittle. When I showed it to him, he warned me about leaving the forest, but it never really left my mind, that there were other ponies out there, wanting to meet unicorns and pegasi."

Sunset had made a mental note of Izzy never really mentioning her parents; Alphabittle had always been the caretaker in her stories of when she was younger. She had never really mentioned her parents, or ever told her about any siblings. She didn't want to assume anything, and wasn't sure how sensitive a subject it was, but she was fairly certain that Izzy Moonbow was an orphan.

"So, if you knew back then that it was only Sunny who had sent that invitation, and that the rest of Maretime Bay were scared to death of unicorns, would you still have gone there?"

Izzy seemed to think about the question for a few moments as she continued wiping down the scooter.

"Yeah, I think so. Don't forget, we had tales about earth ponies and pegasi that were just as tall as the ones the other tribes had about us. So even though I initially thought it was a town of smelly, simple-minded earth ponies, I went anyway. I wanted friends, no matter what their flaws were. I was more afraid of the pegasi than the earth ponies, because back then, we thought they could take our sparkle."

Sunset smiled at the answer as she checked her phone for the time.

"Well, I've got to go get ready for this water fight that the first class wants; a great way to test projectile magic, defensive magic, and have a bit of fun while we're at it. Then an even more important matter..."

With that, Sunset left Izzy with her pet project, and returned downtown to the school, where her first class of the day had just finished settling in.

"Alright, good morning class. Now, before I get you divided into teams for the water fight, I have a very important question for you all," Sunset paused as she walked between the tables to her front desk.

"Who is interested in going on a field trip to the Crystal Empire?"

Author's Note: