• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 35,243 Views, 1,596 Comments

The Equestrian Wind Mage Classic: Season 1 - LordSiravant



After a teleportation spell goes wrong, Vaati finds himself in Equestria. The world's most powerful mage is about to learn about the world's most powerful magic: Friendship.

  • ...
48
 1,596
 35,243

Episode 12: The Meaning of Family Part 2 (revised)

This chapter has been revised and should hopefully be better than before.

Episode 12: The Meaning of Family Part 2

SKREE!

SKREE!

SKREEEEEE!

Vaati's eyes blearily opened and immediately found themselves staring into the single eye of his Sentry, squawking irritatingly loudly in the Wind Sorcerer's sensitive ear. It took a moment for Vaati's mind to make sense of itself, and then he remembered why the blasted creature of darkness was trying to be as aggravating as possible.

He had to take Scootaloo to school today. And so came his first test in parenting; waking up early to get the kid ready for school.

Vaati waved his hand as he sat up. "I'm up, I'm up, you infernal creature. Now go make sure Scootaloo is up. I'll be down shortly."

The Eye Sentry squeaked in approval before phasing out the door of his bedroom to carry out its orders. The second it was gone, Vaati collapsed back on his bed with an exasperated groan.

XXXXXX

The Eye Sentry swooped into Scootaloo's room, flapping its wings excitably as it saw the filly in question wrapped up in her covers, sound asleep and snoring loudly.

Time to rectify that.

SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

"GAH! SWEET MOTHER OF CELESTIA!" poor Scootaloo screamed as she tumbled out of bed at the unexpected noise.

Shaking her head, she looked up to see the Sentry flitting about, trilling at her in greeting. She groaned audibly. "Is it already time to get up?"

The Sentry squeaked in confirmation before flitting off. Scootaloo sighed as she begrudgingly hoisted herself upright and trudged out of her room up to the main hall. Standing there waiting for her was an equally-tired Vaati (as well as a much more awake Nigellas), who half-mumbled, "Morning."

"Hey," she responded, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"Nigellas will show you to the washroom," Vaati explained. "Afterwards we'll eat some breakfast and then I'll take you to school."

"Let's go, kid," Nigellas bade, Scootaloo dutifully following behind.

XXXXXX

After Scootaloo took some time to wash herself in the bathtub that had been provided for her, the young pegasus filly managed to fully wake up and had a quick breakfast of apples and a cupcake with her adoptive father, as well as a strange drink Vaati had her try. He didn't say what it was, only that it was a special recipe of Nigellas's that was healthy for her. He wasn't lying; it was the potion that was being used to make her wings grow properly, so it technically was good for her body. And it tasted pretty good too, so Scootaloo didn't voice any objections, much to the sorcerer's relief. After they were done, Scootaloo got her backpack and beloved scooter and followed Vaati out of the palace onto the floating platform that always ferried non-flying passengers to and from the Palace of Winds. Soon enough, the platform touched down in the center of town, various townsfolk already up and about to start their day.

Many of them stopped and turned their heads, smiling as they saw the two of them. "Hi, Scootaloo! Hi, Vaati!" Derpy called.

"Morning, Scoots, Vaati!" Carrot Top greeted.

Vaati paid little attention to the nice greetings, occasionally inclining his head towards the speaker in acknowledgement as he and his charge approached the school. Various other parents or other family members were there was well, exchanging goodbyes with their kids or younger siblings and the usual "be a good foal/filly" creed. As they reached the schoolyard, Vaati stopped and knelt down to Scootaloo's level. "Alright, Scootaloo," he said to her. "I'm usually not one for sappy goodbyes or obvious advice, but…do well today. Don't get into trouble, and don't let any of the local bullies get to you. Remind them who watches over you now."

Scootaloo grinned and hugged her father. "Thanks, Dad," she said, feeling so happy that she now had a father who would actually take her to school and see her off every morning. "I love you."

"I…uh…heh. I love you too, Scoots," Vaati replied. "Nigellas will come pick you up after school and bring you back home so you can do your homework. Then you can go see Applebloom and Sweetie Belle."

Scootaloo nodded. "Okay, Dad. See you later!"

The young filly waved as she headed towards the schoolhouse. Vaati awkwardly waved back before turning on his heel and returning to town to do some shopping for his new daughter.

XXXXXX

Just as Scootaloo walked into the schoolhouse, the bell rang and everypony took their seats. "Good morning, class!" Cheerilee greeted cheerfully as she walked towards the blackboard. "Now, before we begin, I want to tell you, Scootaloo, that I'm so glad you're doing alright, and that you have a new family that'll take good care of you!"

Scootaloo blushed slightly at the attention and sank a little in her seat. "Uh, thanks, Miss Cheerilee."

Satisfied with Scootaloo's response, Cheerilee indicated a stack of papers she had placed on each student's desk. "Today, class, we have a very special lesson we're going to do," she explained, catching the gathered foals' attention. "Scootaloo's new legal guardian, Vaati, has given me the okay to teach all of you some history about the cultures and races of his world. The packets I'm about to hand out are all information straight out of his history books. Vaati has agreed to this in the hopes that we can understand a little more about himself and the world he comes from, so be sure to pay special attention, students!"

The pages in question contained text and some sketched images of strange creatures, some of which were recognizable as the monsters that lived in Vaati's palace. "Take a few minutes to read the packet, class," Cheerilee instructed, "and then we'll discuss what you have learned."

XXXXXX

About an hour later, the bell rang again, signaling recess. The excited foals all hurried outside to play and/or discuss the things they had learned about the weird creatures that lived in Hyrule. Scootaloo, Applebloom, and Sweetie Belle were huddled together, once more thinking of ways to earn their Cutie Marks. After several minutes of not being able to come up with anything, Sweetie Belle said, "Well, I got nothing. Something else's been on my mind."

"Like what?" Scootaloo asked.

"Well, me 'n Sweetie Belle were wond'rin'," Applebloom ventured. "What's it like up there? Livin' in that huge palace with Vaati 'n all them monsters?"

"I bet I have an idea."

The Cutie Mark Crusaders groaned in misery as they recognized the stuck-up voice coming from behind them. The three of them turned to see Diamond Tiara smirking at them, accompanied, as always, by her pal Silver Spoon, who bore a similar sneer. "What do you two want?" Scootaloo demanded. "Can't you see we're kinda busy?"

"Busy being blank flanks," Silver Spoon chortled, the two bullies sharing a chuckle.

The three fillies scowled at them. "So, Scootaloo," Diamond Tiara spoke. "What's all this I've been hearing about you now living with that hairless ape, Vaati?"

Scootaloo snorted at the remark. "You're just jealous you don't get to live up there yourself."

Diamond Tiara scoffed rudely. "Now why would I be jealous of one freak going to live with a bunch of other freaks that come from a world full of even more freaks? Speaking of freaks, I bet you still can't fly, can you?"

Scootaloo gritted her teeth, attempting to restrain her growing fury. "You shut your mouth," she growled.

Diamond Tiara laughed. "Ha! I was right! You still can't fly! I bet that's why your dad didn't love you! He got tired of you and threw you out because you can't fly! You can't do anything right! You can't even get a Cutie Mark! It's only a matter of time before Vaati throws you out too! And since you can't fly, it'll be a long way down to Ponyville from his doorstep!"

Sweetie Belle and Applebloom were too busy shooting the two bullies scathing glares to notice their friend shaking with pure rage at Diamond Tiara's cruel words. "YOU BUCKING SON OF A DIAMOND DOG!" Scootaloo swore loudly before pouncing on Diamond Tiara.

Sweetie Belle and Applebloom gasped in shock as Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara rolled around in the dirt, pounding on each other, biting ears, and pulling out hair with their teeth.

The gauntlet had been thrown.

Blood had been drawn.

The fight was on.

Several other foals surrounded them, cheering on either Scootaloo or Diamond Tiara. (not surprisingly, most of them were chanting Scootaloo's name) Realizing that a fight had broken out, Cheerilee rushed over to the scene and pushed her way through the crowd. The moment she caught sight of the brawl, she came in and forcefully separated the two fillies. "That's enough!" she yelled.

Cheerilee sorely underestimated the adrenaline rushing through the fillies' veins and the mutual hatred burning in their hearts, and the two of them outmaneuvered the exasperated teacher and went at it again. Sweetie Belle and Applebloom rushed in to help as Cheerilee tried again to stop the fight. Sweetie Belle and Applebloom grabbed Scootaloo by each shoulder and dragged her off of Diamond Tiara, who was pulled back by Cheerilee. Both fillies flailed their legs in a vain attempt to leap at one another's throat once more.

"Let me go!" Scootaloo snarled. "I'm gonna tear her to shreds!"

"Wait'll I get my hooves on you again! You're dead, blank flank!" Diamond Tiara screeched wildly. "You hear me?! DEAD!"

"Diamond Tiara!" Cheerilee shouted. "You do not threaten other students!"

Both fillies soon tired and went limp in their captors' arms, panting in exhaustion and glaring hatefully at each other. "Both of you, my office, now," Cheerilee ordered.

XXXXXX

As Cheerilee got the story from the two fillies, (which naturally varied wildly in the details) Vaati suddenly entered, looking quite miffed. Cheerilee looked up at the mage and forced a smile. "Yes, thank you for coming, Vaati."

"What I'd like to know is why I had to come here," Vaati replied.

Cheerilee sighed. "Your daughter and this filly, Diamond Tiara, got into a fight earlier today. I notified you as well as Diamond's father, but Filthy Rich is unable to join us at the moment."

Vaati looked down at Scootaloo, who averted her eyes in shame as her foster father examined her injuries. She had a black eye as well as a bloody nose currently being treated with a tissue stuffed up her nostril, and her hair was a mess. Diamond Tiara had similar injuries, but overall looked worse off than Scootaloo. "So, this filly is the bully you mentioned, Scoots?"

Scootaloo hesitantly nodded her head. Vaati glanced at both of them before centering his gaze back on Scootaloo. "So who started the fight?"

Scootaloo sniffed in resignation. "I did. I threw the first punch."

Vaati's expression did not change. "Why?"

Diamond Tiara's words rang in Scootaloo's head, and she tried to hold back her tears. "She…she told me my dad didn't love me b-because I couldn't fly. She said h-he got t-tired of me…and…and…t-that you would too."

Scootaloo buried her face in her hooves and sobbed. "I-I'm sorry, Dad! I'm sorry!"

Cheerilee put a hoof to her mouth in shock and stared at Diamond Tiara. The prissy filly's unremorseful glare was appalling.

Diamond Tiara was about to scoff at what she perceived as a display of weakness until she saw Vaati's red-eyed glare pierce her very soul. Even as he hugged his crying daughter, his eyes bore into her own, accusing and sinister. "Don't you ever talk to my daughter like that again, you sub-equine cretin," he warned coldly. "I am the Sorcerer of Winds. I've cast my own world into shadow numerous times. My name is feared there. I am the world's most powerful sorcerer. I defeated the legendary Discord himself. I have all the power in the world to render you non-existent. If you ever antagonize my daughter again…if I ever hear that you've laid a hoof on her again…I will come for you."

"Vaati, that's enough!" Cheerilee interrupted.

"And you…" Vaati rounded on her. "You are going to keep a closer eye on Tiara, for the sake of her good health. Bullies are not creatures I will tolerate in my presence. Remember that."

Cheerilee wisely said nothing as Vaati stood up straight. "Will that be all?" the impatient sorcerer asked. "I have errands to do, and I'd rather that Scootaloo not be sent home before the end of class. If anything, it is Tiara you should send home."

Cheerilee and Vaati stared at each other for several moments before Cheerilee answered, "Alright. Diamond Tiara, you are suspended for the day. Scootaloo, you're free to return to the classroom."

"WHAT?!" Diamond Tiara yelled angrily. "Why does she get let off the hook?!"

"Because what you did was completely unacceptable," Cheerilee answered. "Bullying will not be tolerated in my classroom. And before you go, I want you to apologize to Scootaloo for saying such mean-spirited things."

Diamond Tiara stubbornly folded her arms and said nothing. "Diamond Tiara, apologize to Scootaloo right now before I have you suspended for a week," Cheerilee warned.

Diamond Tiara growled before she glared at Scootaloo. "Sorry for everything I said," she spat, as if the very words she had spoken tasted bad.

Cheerilee cleared her throat. "Very good. You're dismissed, Diamond Tiara."

Diamond Tiara got out of her chair and stalked past Scootaloo, flashing a menacing glare before she walked out the door. With that done, Vaati turned his head towards his daughter. "Try to actually stay out of trouble this time," he advised before walking out the door.

Scootaloo sighed before getting up and going back to the classroom, accompanied by Cheerilee, who resumed the lesson all-too-cheerfully.

XXXXXX

When Diamond Tiara left the schoolhouse, it was not towards home she headed. No, she instead went to a secluded spot just outside of town where she could properly stew in her anger. “It’s not fair!” she said to herself. “Why does that good-for-nothing flightless blank flank get a free pass?! Her freakish father probably isn’t even gonna punish her either!”
She sat down in the special spot only she and Silver Spoon knew about and glared at the ground. “Why does everypony in town kiss their hooves like they’re special?! The only special thing about them is their BLANK FLANKS!”

Diamond stomped at the ground and snorted in anger, too angry to even notice the slight brushing against her mind.

You are jealous of the attention.

Diamond paused; the voice in her thoughts was not her own. But she gritted her teeth in acknowledgment that it was right.

You think they are inferior for not having found their so-called “special talent”, which won’t be anything truly special either. Yet they get far more positive attention than you. They even stole away the attention from your own cuteçeneara. Unfair indeed.

Diamond put her hooves on her head as the distant sound of echoing laughter rang in her mind. “Shut up!” she growled, willing those terrible thoughts to go away.

You’re daddy’s little princess, yet only one other pony can stand your presence, and she is a complete doormat, tagging along with you only because you know her dirty little secret, that she is a nasty little…ah, what was the phrase your kind use? Fillyfooler, was it?

Diamond feverishly shook her head, trying to remove that accursed voice from her mind. She was finally met with blessed silence. Feeling that she had brooded long enough, Diamond headed home to receive the punishment she knew was coming.

XXXXXX

And come it did. After her father yelled at her for continuing to harass the family and friends of his most influential business partners, the Apple family, he had sent her to her room without supper. She was to be grounded for the rest of the week, unable to see her friends. (or friend, was more accurate) As she crawled under the covers of her bed, Diamond fought back the tears in her eyes. Even her own father thought more highly of those filthy Cutie Mark Crusaders than his own daughter. And she hated them all the more for it.

It just wasn’t fair.

Life isn’t fair.

Diamond’s breath caught in her throat. That voice was back.

Life is full of injustice and cruelty, child. The world does not care about any who live on its surface, and Fate smiles upon whoever it wants to. Too bad it hasn’t smiled on you.

Diamond wanted to will that terrible voice away again, but she was simply too tired to put up a fight.

Yes. Sleep, Diamond Tiara. We shall know each other better in your dreams.

XXXXXX

Diamond Tiara found herself in an endless expanse of pure, empty blackness. She felt solid ground beneath her, but could not see it. “W-where am I?” she wondered aloud.

“We are in your dreams, Diamond Tiara,” a voice answered in the darkness. “It is here where we can talk face-to-face.”

Diamond nervously glanced about her surroundings. She was scared. She didn’t know why, but something about this terrified her.

“You are afraid? Good. Fear can become a weapon, in the right hands. Or hooves, in your case. Fear begets anger, which begets hate, which leads to suffering. Beautiful suffering.”

“Who are you?! W-where are you?!”

“We are everywhere, Diamond Tiara. Our name is not important now. What is important, though, is your revenge.”

Still looking around for any sign of the mysterious speaker, Diamond repeated, “My revenge?”

“Eh heh heh heh heh… Do not tell us you have forgotten the treatment you received at the hooves of the Crusaders and all their thick-skulled admirers.”

Diamond’s fear was replaced by anger. “I didn’t forget! But why do you even care?!”

“It is why we have come. We want to help you seek vengeance against those who disrespect you.”

Diamond suspiciously narrowed her eyes. “Why? What would you have to gain?”

The speaker raised its voice slightly, conveying annoyance. “That is of no concern to you. Do you want our help or not?”

Diamond gulped. “W-what can I do? I’m just a filly…”

“Gwo hoh hoh hoh… With the right power, even a filly can become…”

Diamond’s breath hitched in her throat as she felt a presence behind her. She turned around just in time to see a large, round pale eye tinged a sickly green open up in the darkness.

“…a nightmare!”

Diamond screamed.

XXXXXX

One week later

Scootaloo was much happier than she had ever been. When she had come home from school the day she and Diamond Tiara had gotten into that fight, she had discovered that Vaati had bought her all sorts of things for her to customize her bedroom with. She now had her own desk and chair, a new backpack, brand-new school supplies, and a Wonderbolts bed sheet just for her. To make things even better, she and the other Cutie Mark Crusaders were all going to have a sleepover at their clubhouse tonight. She had been looking forward to that all week. Vaati had given the okay, as long as they didn't do any crazy stunts to get their Cutie Marks, and Scootaloo was ecstatic.

Unbeknownst to the three best friends, Diamond Tiara had learned all about this coming sleepover. And the innocent event played right into her sinister hooves. Silver Spoon was mostly in the dark, but that all changed during recess, as the two of them kept an eye on their hated enemies. "Alright, Silver Spoon," Diamond Tiara began. "I've come up with a plan to deal with those stupid blank flanks once and for all."

Silver Spoon blinked in confusion. "Once and for all? What do you mean by that?"

"Just shut up and listen, will you?" Diamond Tiara hissed. "Alright, I've discovered that they're planning to have a sleepover at their clubhouse tonight."

"Uh huh?"

"Tonight, while they're all asleep, we're gonna go there and burn it down.'

Diamond Tiara's grin was terrifying. Silver Spoon felt a bead of sweat run down her forehead. "B-but…won't they be inside when it happens?"

Diamond Tiara's grin widened to its fullest, making her look like a deranged serial killer. "Exactly," she answered.

Silver Spoon blanched. "W-what?" she whimpered. "Y-you're not thinking about…k-k-killing them, are you?"

Diamond Tiara mockingly cocked her head a little to the side. Silver Spoon could have sworn she saw a tinge of green in her friend’s deranged eyes. "Are you saying you have a problem with it?"

Silver Spoon shivered. "I-I don't know, Diamond…This sounds wrong!"

Diamond Tiara's grin faded into a cold sneer. "They all deserve it. And you don't have much of a choice in the matter…not if you don't want me to let everypony know about your silly little crush on…"

"N-no, wait! Wait!" Silver Spoon panicked. "I'll do it! I'll help you! J-just…don't tell anyone!"

Diamond Tiara flashed a smile that contained all the sweetness of poisoned honey. "Don't worry, Silver. Your secret's safe with me…" Then she got in her friend's face, a frightening look in her eyes. "As long as you comply," she ominously finished.

Silver Spoon gulped and glanced at the Cutie Mark Crusaders, who were all laughing and enjoying each other's company, blissfully unaware of the heinous plot being hatched against them. Silver Spoon was scared of her own best friend. She had never thought her capable of such cruel actions. But she was also terrified of her because she knew her secret, and could tell it to the whole world if she stepped one hoof out of line. She had no choice. "O-okay," she whimpered. "B-but how are w-we gonna get there? We both have to be in bed by nine, and our parents'll freak if they catch us out of bed."

Diamond Tiara smirked. "Oh, don't worry. I've already taken care of that. I've got my daddy wrapped around my hoof. He can't possibly stay mad at his little princess." The wicked filly chuckled. "He thinks we're gonna have a sleepover at your house. Tell your parents that too. They won't care. After they go to bed tonight, we'll sneak out and carry out the plan. After the fire starts, we'll head back to your house, go to bed, and pretend nothing happened. It's foalproof!"

Silver Spoon tried to fight back tears. The whole idea was scary to her. Seeing this, Diamond Tiara heartlessly scoffed, "Oh, stop that. You're acting like a baby."

Just then, the end-of-recess bell rang, and all the foals started to head back inside. Diamond Tiara glanced at her friend. "Don't forget the plan."

XXXXXX

That evening, Cutie Mark Crusaders Clubhouse

Scootaloo and her friends laughed almost nonstop as they played games, drew up more plans to get their Cutie Marks, and just generally had fun together. They hadn't been able to do a sleepover for some time, as the only times Scootaloo had been able to do it in the past was when her late father had been too drunk to notice her walking out the door. Now that she didn't have to worry about coming home to a drunken filly-beater, she could laugh and play with her beloved friends with carefree abandon. At some points, Scootaloo took the time to tell the others what it was like living in Vaati's palace. She regaled detailed descriptions of the lofty halls, the view of the world below, and the various monsters she ended up interacting with. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle reacted with awe as Scootaloo told them how the impish Miniblins had invited her to play pranks on the other monsters, how the Wizzrobe Nigellas taught her the rich history of Vaati's home world, and especially how the Darknut commander Maulgrim had promised to teach her a thing or two about swordplay.

So engrossed were they in their fun that they didn't notice the two other fillies that were approaching the clubhouse. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon hunkered down directly underneath the clubhouse so they couldn't be seen in case one of the crusaders happened to look out the window. 'Hmm, they're still awake," Diamond Tiara observed in a hushed whisper. "They better go to sleep soon. I wanna get this done as soon as possible."

Silver Spoon still had a look of severe doubt and fear in her eyes, even as she held the bucket containing the lamp oil they had pilfered from Silver Spoon's dad in her mouth. They didn't have to wait long. After about fifteen more minutes, the crusaders all agreed it was time for bed, as none of them could bear to stay awake any longer, no matter how much fun they were having. The light went out, and the three friends crawled into their sleeping bags and nodded off, unaware of their impending demise.

Diamond Tiara waited a few more minutes just to be on the safe side. When she was sure all three of them were sound asleep, she nodded to Silver Spoon, who reluctantly set down the bucket of lamp oil and assisted her so-called best friend with hoisting a large rock onto both their backs, as it was too heavy to carry on their own. "Careful, now," Diamond Tiara hissed. "Don't you dare drop it."

The two bullies slowly crept up the ramp leading to the front door of the clubhouse, trying to make as little noise as possible and making sure not to accidentally drop the rock. Once they reached the front door, they lay on their bellies and gently slid the rock off their backs. They then discreetly propped it against the door, ensuring that nopony would be able to get out. Once this was done, they went back down to retrieve the bucket of lamp oil and the box of matches Diamond Tiara had brought. Diamond Tiara, wanting to be the one to do the deed herself, got the oil and walked halfway up the ramp before picking up the bucket with her hooves. With a menacing grin, she splashed the oil all over the roof of the clubhouse, which didn't awaken the crusaders, luckily for her.

Walking back down to her shivering friend, she said, "Hold up the matchbox."

Silver Spoon unwillingly obliged as she held the matchbox in her teeth, allowing Diamond Tiara to strike a match. She then turned her head and immediately spat the lit match over to the clubhouse. It landed on the roof, which ignited immediately.

Diamond Tiara watched with a maniacal smirk as the flames began to spread over the clubhouse. As they watched, Silver Spoon trembled. This was wrong. It wasn't right, and she knew it. Her friend was insane.

Meanwhile, Scootaloo abruptly awoke when she felt herself growing uncomfortably warmer and smelled…smoke?

Scootaloo opened her eyes, and gasped in dread when she realized what was going on.

The clubhouse was on fire! And they were still inside!

"Guys! Guys, wake up!" she yelled, shaking her friends awake. "The clubhouse's on fire!"

Sweetie Belle and Applebloom screamed in terror and made a beeline straight for the door. However, no matter how they pushed, they couldn't get it to budge. "Oh my Celestia!" Scootaloo cried. "W-we're trapped!"

"Scootaloo, I'm scared!" Sweetie Belle wailed, clutching her friend.

"Ah don't wanna die!" Applebloom cried in terror, bucking the door with all her strength. "Ah don't wanna die!"

The door still wouldn't budge.

Diamond Tiara grinned as she heard the crusaders screaming in terror. “Beautiful suffering,” she whispered in a voice that wasn’t entirely her own. She turned towards her friend. "C'mon, Silver," she advised. "Let's get outta here before somepony…"

She suddenly stopped short when she realized Silver Spoon was no longer standing next to her. Her head darted around as she tried to locate her friend, and gasped in shock when she saw her running straight towards the farmhouse.

One thought ran through her mind, perfectly harmonized with the dark voice.

Kill her. Kill the traitor.

Silver Spoon's blood ran cold as she heard the hysterical voice of her best friend. "Silver Spoon! YOU TRAITOR!"

Diamond Tiara took off in hot pursuit of Silver Spoon, a wild, psychotic look in her eye, intent on preventing the traitorous little fillyfooler from reaching Sweet Apple Acres. Silver Spoon ran as fast as her legs could carry her, but Diamond Tiara was faster, and just as they got close to the farmhouse, Diamond Tiara tackled her friend to the ground. "You are not gonna tattle on me!" she shrieked.

"This is wrong and you know it!" Silver Spoon shouted back, struggling to escape Diamond Tiara's hold. "I don't care what you say! I'm making this right!"

"NO. YOU. ARE. NOT!" Diamond Tiara screamed, pressing her hooves against Silver Spoon's throat, choking her.

Silver Spoon flailed her hooves in vain, gasping for air, scared out of her wits. She could see that her friend’s eyes were now definitely glowing a venomous green. She hadn't imagined she would die like this, at the hooves of her best and only friend, before she could even grow up and start a family…

"What in the hay?!"

And just like that, Diamond Tiara was thrown away from Silver Spoon, who took a huge gasp of air in relief. The noise of their struggle had been enough to awaken Applejack, who had come out to see what was going on and found one filly trying to choke another one to death right outside her home. Without thinking, she kicked the attacking filly away to rescue the other…and that was when she saw the burning clubhouse.

"APPLEBLOOM!"

XXXXXX

Palace of Winds...

Nigellas shelved a book in his master's library, having grown bored with reading it for the fifth time. The head Wizzrobe happened to glance out a window as he passed it, and his attention was caught by a flickering orange a short distance away from Sweet Apple Acres. Wasn't that where Scootaloo had said she was…

That's when it hit him.

"GOLDEN GODDESSES ABOVE!"

XXXXXX

Vaati was sound asleep when Nigellas abruptly warped into his room. "MY LORD! WAKE UP!" he yelled.

Vaati sat bolt upright. "What?! What is the meaning-!"

"The crusaders' clubhouse has caught fire, sir!" Nigellas urgently interrupted.

Vaati's eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets as he threw himself out of bed, not even bothering to put on his undershirt, tunic, or sandals. All he had on were his scarlet leggings. "Get the Aquamancers down there! NOW!"

By the time Nigellas had almost screamed the telepathic order into the Ice Wizzrobes' heads, Vaati had already teleported directly to the site of the blaze. The flames were starting to get intense. He couldn't hear anything over the sounds of the flames.

Oh Goddesses, they could already be dead.

Vaati sent a powerful gust of wind towards the inferno, blowing out smoke and forcing down the flames somewhat. Applejack, Big Macintosh, and Rarity were already on the scene, looking completely frantic as they screamed out their respective siblings' names. Suddenly, ten Aquamancer Wizzrobes warped in, and as soon as they caught sight of the blaze, unleashed a great torrent of water. A rolling wave cascaded down on the clubhouse, instantly dousing the fire. The very second the fire died out, Applejack bolted up the ramp and bucked aside the boulder that had been shoved in front of the door. She was immediately joined by Rarity and Vaati as she kicked the door in.

Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Applebloom all lay motionless on the floor.

"Goddesses…no," Vaati whispered in dread.

Vaati ran to Scootaloo and swept her into his arms. She lay limply in his hold, her eyes closed and showing no signs of life. "Scootaloo!" he cried, tears freely streaming down his pale cheeks. "Please, Scootaloo, don't be dead!"

"Applebloom, please w-wake up!" Applejack begged her unmoving sister, holding her body in her arms. "Don't ya dare leave me!"

"Sweetie, I-I'm sorry! I haven't been there for you enough!" Rarity wailed as she cried into her sister's chest. "I'll t-treat you like a princess f-for the rest of your life! I promise! J-just w-w-wake up!"

Vaati was overcome by sorrow and collapsed on his knees, burying his face in Scootaloo's chest. How we wished he could follow her to the void of death. She had been his own child for just one week.

One week.

And now she was gone.

Or was she?

Vaati's ears pricked as they picked up a faint sound thrumming quietly. Vaati's eyes shot open as he realized what it was: a heartbeat.

"They're…they're still alive!" he cried. "We need to get them to the hospital! Hurry!"

Through all the commotion, nopony had noticed Diamond Tiara groggily slink away.

XXXXXX

Ponyville Hospital, two hours later

Vaati and the Mane Six impatiently waited in the lobby for any news on the Cutie Mark Crusaders' condition. Vaati paced back and forth, his expression laced with worry and dread. He had at least taken the time to fully dress himself, and Nigellas and Maulgrim also decided to accompany him back to the surface. Maulgrim did his best to offer comfort to Rarity, which at least managed to calm her down a little. (luckily Spike was not here to see this, for Twilight had let him sleep to keep him from worrying too) Nigellas leaned against the wall, his head lowered so his hat hid his face, his arms folded, quietly brooding. Rainbow Dash sympathetically rubbed Applejack's back as the farmpony tried to recover from her hysteria.

All of their attention was diverted when Nurse Redheart walked into the lobby. Vaati nearly got in her face as he demanded, "How are they?!"

Nurse Redheart cleared her throat and said, "Aside from severe smoke inhalation and some first-degree burns, they should be alright."

A collective sigh went up from the group. "Please, can we see 'em?" Applejack begged.

Nurse Redheart shook her head. "They're sedated for now, so you can't talk to them."

"I want to see my sister now," Rarity coldly demanded. "I need to see that she's okay with my own eyes! Do you understand?!"

Nurse Redheart bit her lip. "Alright. Vaati, Ms. Rarity, Ms. Applejack, come with me. The rest of you stay here."

"I wanna see Scoots too!" Rainbow Dash spoke, hovering by Vaati's side. "And don't you dare tell me I can't!"

Nurse Redheart sighed. "Of course. Right this way."

Since each of the crusaders had been put in separate rooms, the four adults were eventually separated, with Rainbow and Vaati being led to Scootaloo's room last. The two of them stepped inside and took note of the lone occupant's condition. Scootaloo had a breathing mask strapped over her mouth, and several wires attached her to a heart monitor.

She looked so vulnerable.

Rainbow held back and let Vaati go first, who slowly came to Scootaloo's bedside and looked down at her face. He fought back tears; she had become the source of his greatest joy, and he had very nearly lost her. He put a hand on her delicate head and stroked her cheek. "Scootaloo?" he gently spoke, though the filly gave no response. "I'm here. I don't know if you can hear me, but…daddy's here."

Scootaloo remained silent. Vaati sniffed. "You're going to get through this. You're my daughter. That means you're too strong to give up now. I love you, Scoots."

The mage bent down and kissed Scootaloo on the forehead, a single tear rolling down his cheek and dropping on her own. He stood up straight and then walked out the door to give Rainbow a few minutes alone with her biggest fan. The sorcerer returned to the lobby where the others were waiting. Twilight gave him a comforting smile. Shortly afterwards, Rarity and Applejack returned as well. The moment everyone was together, Applejack said the unthinkable. "Ah think somepony deliberately did this."

Twilight shook her head. "You don't know that, Applejack. It could have been an accident."

"If'n it was an accident, then tell me how a big rock too heavy for a filly to push found its way to the front door 'a that clubhouse!"

"One of the Aquamancers reported seeing lamp oil mixed with the water," Nigellas abruptly added. "It was all over the clubhouse."

Rarity blanched. "Mother Faust…somepony tried to kill my sister!"

Both Applejack and Rarity could feel rage boiling within them for this attempt on their family members' lives. But that paled in comparison to the expression of bloodthirsty rage on Vaati's face. His eyes had turned completely red, and his canines had sharpened. "I want to know who is responsible for this," he growled, demonic undertones beginning to seep into his voice.

"U-um…h-h-hello?"

Everyone turned their heads as an Earth Pony filly hesitantly entered the hospital. She was grey, with a well-kept grayish-white mane and tail, and a pair of blue reading glasses situated on her face. Her Cutie Mark was that of a fancy spoon. She looked terrified, and was shaking profusely.

"Are you okay?" Twilight asked. "Who are you?"

The filly sniffed, as it appeared she had been crying recently. "M-my name's S-Silver Spoon," she stuttered. "I-I-I'm…no, I was…Diamond Tiara's best friend."

She did not fail to notice the flash of anger that went through the eyes of the Crusaders' family members. "I-I know who did this," she whimpered.

Tears fell down Silver Spoon's cheeks as she fell to her knees. "It was me," she morosely admitted. "Me…a-and Diamond Tiara."

Vaati bared his teeth. "Diamond Tiara did this?!"

Silver Spoon sobbed profusely as she blurted out everything. "I'm sorry! I-I'm so s-s-sorry! I-I didn't want any of t-this! B-but Diamond Tiara m-made me help her! W-we waited for t-t-them to fall asleep, t-then Diamond Tiara threw lamp oil all over t-the clubhouse, and t-then I held up the m-m-matchbox while s-she lit a match a-a-and threw it onto the r-r-roof! I'm sorry! I shouldn't have l-l-let her do it! B-but I was scared! And then I heard them screaming, and…and…I-I couldn't let it happen! I r-ran towards Applejack's farm, b-b-but Diamond Tiara caught u-up with me and…she…she…" Silver Spoon hyperventilated for a moment before calming down enough to continue. "S-she tried to c-choke me to death! I-I tried t-t-to warn you! I'm so sorry! I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm soooorrrryyyyyy!"

Silver Spoon curled up in a ball on the floor and sobbed hysterically. Nopony spoke for several shocked moments.

And then the front door of the hospital lobby exploded outwards, sending shards of glass flying everywhere.

"GRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAARRRRR!"

The great winged eye burst out of the hospital, a whipping tornado churning beneath it as it made a beeline straight for the town center. Ponies who had been awakened by the reports of the incident looked up in terrified shock as Vaati's demon form hovered over the town square, his single eye ablaze with unrestrained fury. The wind whipped around him, sending produce carts flying in every direction. The gathered townsponies cowered before him as his enraged voice boomed loudly in their ears.

"WHERE IS DIAMOND TIARA?!"

The townsponies were too terrified to answer, glancing at each other in morbid curiosity as to why Vaati wanted Filthy Rich's daughter. His rage intensifying, Vaati bellowed, "WHERE IS SHE?!"

Vaati received no answer. "I SWEAR I WILL TEAR THIS ENTIRE TOWN APART UNTIL I FIND HER IF SHE DOES NOT COME FORWARD OR SOMEONE DOESN'T BRING HER TO ME RIGHT BUCKING NOW!"

After a few moments of silence, one stallion stepped forward out of the crowd. "What do you want with my daughter, Vaati?" Filthy Rich asked, trying to maintain a calm and collected demeanor.

"To rip her limb from limb and make her suffer the agony of a thousand excruciating deaths for what she tried to do to my daughter!" Vaati roared, though his voice had lowered somewhat.

Filthy Rich recoiled in shock. "Are you suggesting that my daughter started the fire?!"

"Not suggesting, stating the FACTS! We even have an eyewitness: Silver Spoon! Her accomplice, and very nearly another of Diamond Tiara's victims! Your daughter is GUILTY! NOW BRING HER TO ME!"

Filthy Rich's jaw dropped in horror. "Sweet mother of Celestia…"

It was then that Vaati’s keen eye caught sight of the filly in question, stumbling around the edge of town as though she were in a daze. All rational thoughts left his mind the second he laid eyes on her.

"GRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!"

Diamond Tiara turned around just in time to see the golden claws wrap around her and lift her into the air. She let out a scream of terror as Vaati held her high, glaring menacingly at her. "Oh, you haven't yet begun to scream, girl," he growled.

Every voice in his head was screaming at him to vaporize this monster that wore the guise of a young child. And he was only too happy to oblige.

"BURN."

"Vaati, wait! Stop!" came the voice of Twilight.

The demon sorcerer paused and glanced at Twilight, who was flanked by her friends. "Ah wanna roast her like a Hearth's Warming cabbage as much as you do," Applejack said. "But this ain't the way to do it!"

"Put her down, Vaati!" Rarity begged. "She's not worth it! Don't stoop to her level!"

Vaati's eye darted between his friends and the filly clutched in his talons. He was pretty sure he could live with that.

But what about Scootaloo? What would she think of him then?

Vaati snarled as he unceremoniously released his hold on Diamond Tiara, the filly falling flat on her face on the ground. Not two seconds later she found herself forced to her hooves and shackles put around her neck and front legs that secured her to a policepony. "W-what?" she gaped. "What's going on?!"

She saw her father standing at the head of the assembled crowd, watching her with an expression of disbelief. "Daddy!" she cried. "What's happening? Get me outta this!"

Filthy Rich just kept staring at her and said nothing, slowly shaking his head.

“D-Daddy?” she whimpered, staring at her motionless father as tears started to flow down her dirtied face.


"I assume she'll be sent to trial in Princess Luna's court, then?" Vaati boomed, still in his demon form.

One of the policeponies nodded.

"Then send her a suggestion as to what should be done with her after she is convicted. Tell Luna to find the deepest, darkest hole in Equestria, and when she does, dig even deeper. Then put her in it."

"I'll, um…see what I can do," the officer answered hesitantly.

With that, the two officers escorted Diamond Tiara to a waiting police carriage that would take her to Canterlot to stand trial for her crimes. Once the carriage was gone, Twilight looked down at Silver Spoon, who watched the retreating carriage sadly. "You did the right thing by telling us who was responsible, Silver Spoon," she said. "That was very brave of you."

"Then…why do I feel so sad?" she answered.

Twilight responded by giving the grieving filly a hug. Meanwhile, Vaati's rage finally abated, and the sorcerer shrank back into his normal Hylian form and headed back towards the hospital without another word.

XXXXXX

Vaati slept in the hospital in a chair close by Scootaloo's bedside, unwilling to leave her side for even a moment longer. It wasn't until the next morning when Vaati stirred awake, his eyes opening as he saw Scootaloo still lying comatose in her bed. Vaati sighed and rubbed his face.

"Mmm…uh…Daddy?"

Vaati immediately shot out of his chair and came to Scootaloo's side. The young filly's eyes slowly opened. Vaati had never before bothered to notice how beautiful her eyes were. He smiled in pure joy and stroked his daughter's forehead. "Daddy's here, Scoots. Daddy's here…"

A week passed, and the three Crusaders fully recovered from the ordeal. A party was held for all of them, and the entire town came. Silver Spoon made peace with the Cutie Mark Crusaders, who were grateful that she had saved their lives. Her unknown crush remained a secret in the end, much to her relief. Diamond Tiara never got a chance to reveal it before she had been taken away. Discord, at Fluttershy's behest, used his reality-altering magic to restore the clubhouse to its former glory, making it look just like new.

Diamond Tiara, despite repeatedly saying she didn't remember any of it, was convicted of four counts of attempted murder and one count of arson and, with her sister's blessing, had the convicted prisoner sent to the deepest, darkest hole they knew: Tartarus. One might think the punishment harsh, but murder was not a common crime in Equestria, and was the vilest act a pony, especially a child, could commit. She was doomed to spend the rest of her life imprisoned in a lonely cell, with only the horrifying monsters that dwelt there to keep her company.

Sitting in the very back of her cell, Diamond Tiara stared at the ground. “What have I done?” she whispered, unwilling to believe that she had actually gone so far as to try and kill the Crusaders.

Why had she done it? She knew better than that, and yet…

Diamond suddenly looked up sharply in realization. The voice

She wracked her brain, trying to coax that strange, soothing yet menacing voice out of the recesses of her mind, but it would not come. She was alone. The voice was gone.

The voice had played her. She had served as its pawn, and now she was paying the price.

She morosely walked up to the bars of her cell just in time to see a prowling krylock, a truly strange monster with the head of a cobra and the body of a scorpion, passing by her cell. If she recalled correctly, their poison was extremely deadly and would kill in minutes. She knew what she was about to do, and frankly, didn’t care anymore. Everyone hated her now, including her own father, and she would rather die than live with that pain.

She threw a rock at it and stuck her hoof out where the angered monster could see it. "Come on!" she yelled, waiting for the end. "Come and get me!"

The krylock hissed angrily.

And lunged.

Author's Note:

I have fixed this chapter to make DT seem more sympathetic. I hope I don't have to feel ashamed of this chapter anymore.