• Published 21st Sep 2022
  • 805 Views, 15 Comments

Friendship Reborn - Mystic Sunrise



Sci Twi discovers the true magic of friendship. But how can she stand against someone drunk on stolen magic?

  • ...
18
 15
 805

Dreamlight Sparkle

Cosmos sighed, pinching her nose. "Not again. It was hard enough to hide the last time this happened."

Twilight blinked. "Wait. What do you mean last time? This has happened before?"

Cosmos nodded. "Oh yes. Assuming we all are here when this is over, ask your friends from Canterlot High. They can tell you all about it." She turned her gaze to the Crystal Prep team, who flinched under her glare. "Had you listened to these incompetent fools, you would have become something like this."

Twilight gulped. She did not want to think about that. "They're not my friends. Why would they be?" She sniffed. "No matter how nice they've been to me. No matter how much I want it. I'm the enemy."

Cosmos smiled, lifting the girl's head. "Twilight. Do you really think they are that shallow? Would they have been so nice to you if they did not care?"

Solar cackled as she floated above them. "Save the waterworks, you old nag. I have a world to conquer!" She smirked, channeling all of her power into her hands. "And if I have to destroy this one to get it? So be it!"

To the horror of all watching, Solar fired into the ground, ripping a hole between dimensions. On the other side, everyone could see what looked like... Pastel-colored ponies? And different kinds as well. All of them watched the hole in the sky with mounting terror, unable to understand what was going on.

"What the heck is that place?" Applejack yelled as the hole began to expand, swallowing up more and more of the courtyard. As it did so, some people could get out of the way fast enough, and if not for the help of Canterlot High's students, would have fallen through to who knew what fate.

"That, Applejack, is Equestria. The world on the other side of the portal," Cosmos growled, rubbing her forehead. "Just perfect. This is not what I needed today." She looked down at Twilight's pendant. before picking it up and handing it back to her. "But there is one way to save everyone."

Twilight backed up in horror, sensing what the super meant. "I can't. Look what this stupid thing's done already! If Sunset can't handle all of it, what makes you think I can? I don't know a darn thing about magic."

Cosmos smiled gently. "And that's why you are worthy. You didn't collect the magic for your selfish ends or a lust for power. But because you wanted to understand it. There are those who would help you, those that will stand beside you." Her smile grew. "The question is. Do you trust them?"

Twilight's head bowed, as she looked at five certain girls. Girls who in her heart were already her friends. "How do you know all of this? Who are you?"

Cosmos chuckled. "I am many things, Twilight Sparkle. And what I know could fill all of the libraries of the world, and still only scratch the surface. Right now? I am your friend. And you have many more. All you have to do is to take that first step, and you will discover something far more wonderful than anything you could have ever imagined."

Twilight found that hard to believe, but the sincerity in Cosmos' voice and her smile said that everything would be alright, even as she looked back to the new portal. Even the Shadowbolts were now helping to save as many people as they could.

It was all she could take as ran forward and stood her ground before the she-demon. "Sunset. You have to stop! Look what you're doing!"

Solar cackled. "Stop? In my moment of triumph. I think you overestimate your chances." She sneered. "And why do you suddenly care, Sparkle? You were going to do the same thing I am. Unlike you, though, I won't be stopped by some sniveling teenager!"

Twilight winced but stood her ground nonetheless. "You're right. But you showed that there was a better way. Let me do the same for you. Please."

Solar's sneer grew. "You? Hah! Don't make me laugh. What do you think you can do that the princess couldn't? You're a bug under my foot to be squashed!"

Twilight filed the princess bit away for further investigation, but sighed. "Not by myself. But I'm not alone." She smiled as she looked over at the Rainbooms. "Ever since I came to Canterlot High, you've all been nothing but welcoming, kind, and friendly." She teared up a bit, and even the girls couldn't help but do the same. "Maybe I'm not who you thought I was. You showed me that there is more to life than studying. You showed me the real magic."

Holding up her pendant, Twilight could only pray this worked. "The magic of friendship!"

As one, the Rainbooms began to glow, their magic overflowing in a way they couldn't explain. Looking at each other, they smirked, and let all of their magic flow, directing it toward Twilight in a rainbow of colors.

Twilight giggled as she felt the magic begin to flow into her. It was so warm and comforting, nothing like it had been before. This was what real magic felt like, what friendship felt like. She felt memories she had all but forgotten surface. Friends she had shut out long ago. She swore to make amends.

Finally, the device couldn't hold anymore, and cut off the flow of magic, leaving the Rainbooms gasping for a moment, but hoping that Twilight knew what she was doing.

Knowing not what else to do, Twilight let go of her device. It floated down, hovering for a moment before settling to the ground. As it did, the lid popped open once more and a ball of magic floated out of it. Within seconds, magic began flowing up and around Twilight. lifting her off the ground, but she felt no fear as she did so. Feeling cheeky, she flicked off her glasses and let her hair down.

"Ooooh! She really means business now!" Pinkie squeed, earning glares from her friends.

Twilight giggled at the feelings she was experiencing, like nothing she could have ever imagined. She closed her eyes as the magic took her within itself, letting it flow freely into her.

Everyone watched in awe as Twilight began to change. Her clothes became almost angelic, ethereal wings sprouted from her shoulders, a horn of pure magic sprouted from her forehead, and her glasses vanished, being replaced by magical fire in the shape of her glasses.

When Twilight had absorbed the last of the magic, and the glow around her faded, she opened her eyes and looked at herself in shock and amazement. "Is... Is this what the magic of friendship feels like?"

Solar snarled, charging up her magic. "No. This is what losing feels like you little twerp!" Before she fired a fully charged blast of magic at her.

Twilight only just had time to eep! and throw her hands up in an attempt to block the beam as it engulfed her.

Everyone could only watch in horror as Twilight was completely engulfed by the beam. "Twilight!"

Author's Note:

Just to answer something FriendshipIsStillMagic asked. No. That is not the same Cosmos as from the IDW comics. She is my own character, and far more than she appears. I needed someone to step and put an end to what Crystal Prep wanted to do.

Sunset did it for Twilight of course.