• Published 23rd Sep 2012
  • 19,047 Views, 893 Comments

Forever a Changeling - Scootaloo-009



Rainbow Dash finds out she is a changeling

  • ...
71
 893
 19,047

Pony Ending

Forever a Changeling

by Scootaloo-009, a.k.a. Mechsrule1

My Little Pony and related names, images, and scenarios are property of Hasbro Inc.

Epilogue

Rainbow Dash winged her way through the skies above semi-familiar terrain. She’s only flown this way once before but she was still able to locate the right mountain. It was harder to fly with the cloak she was wearing, but she would need it when she got back to Ponyville, to hide what she was going to get.

Slowly she crept inside the dark cave. She still had the lantern yoke but there was little oil left in it, so the light it gave of was faint and she really had to strain to see at all. She briefly thought about trying to make her own light but she still wasn’t very good at any magic.

Finally she made her way to the incubation chamber. She carefully stepped over the limp form inside the doorway. It hadn’t been long enough for her old body to decompose so it was very creepy to see herself dead.

Rainbow Dash walked around the room until she came to what she had noticed when she had been her last. Lying on the floor were some blue egg fragments, and lying in the center was a foal sized nymph. It hadn’t moved since it had freed itself. It had been just an egg when she had last been there.

She gently picked the nymph up and carried it over to where her current body had been. She used the goo from the cocoon to plaster the nymph to her stomach. Satisfied, she left the cave and returned to her real self. Then she quickly flew off for home.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*KNOCK* *KNOCK*

A wiry old mare answered the door with a sour look and glared at Rainbow Dash.

“Uh... can Scootaloo come out?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Great, what has that brat done now!” the mare shouted. “Scootaloo, get out here!”

“She hasn’t done anything, I just want to talk to her is all,” Rainbow Dash said, but the old mare seemed unconvinced.

“Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo exclaimed when she saw who was at the door. She galloped out and right up to her. “Why are you here?” she asked excitedly.

“Just following up on a promise. Walk with me,” she urged. “I’ll have her back in a few minutes,” she said to the caretaker.

“Whatever.”

Scootaloo cheerfully followed Rainbow Dash as she led the filly out of town and into the outskirts of the forest.

“Where are we going?” she asked.

“Just somewhere where we won’t be seen,” Rainbow Dash replied. “This should be good enough.”

“And what’s with the robe? Are you adopting me? Is this some sort of cool pony ritual?”

Rainbow Dash held up a hoof to silence her. “Do you remember what the last thing you asked me was when you found out I was a changeling?”

Scootaloo scratched her head while she thought. “Not really.”

“You asked if there was a way you could become a changeling, and I said if I found a way, I would let you know.”

“You did!” Scootaloo exclaimed, her eyes going wide.

“Sort of,” Rainbow Dash said. She removed her cloak and pulled the nymph free of her stomach. She placed it on the ground in front of Scootaloo.

“What’s that?”

“This is a changeling baby. But it could be you.”

“I’m confused.”

“Yeah I know. From what I learned, my hive has survived by basically turning ponies into changelings. You don’t actually become one but rather your soul is put into a different body.”

“I still don’t get it,” Scootaloo said.

Rainbow Dash nodded knowingly. “A long time ago I died. This queen changeling happened to be in the area and saw it happen. She stuck a nymph like this one on my head and I became that nymph.”

“I don’t think I’m going to get it.”

“If I let this changeling do its thing, you will become a changeling like me.”

“Really!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “Do it, do it do it!”

“Hold it,” Rainbow Dash shouted. She had to hold the filly down to stop her from bouncing with excitement. “This isn’t a light decision. You can never, ever take this back. If you do this, you will be forever a changeling. You will always need to be around ponies for food. You will never be able to have foals.”

Scootaloo looked back very seriously. “If I ever wanted foals, I would adopt. I decided that a long time ago. Will I still get a cutie mark? If not, I can wait, if that’s okay...”

“I still got mine after becoming a changeling.”

“Then I think I’m okay with this.”

“You will also have to die.”

Scootaloo balked at that, clutching her neck.

“In a way, I mean. You’ll come back to life as a changeling. As... well... my sister.”

“Does... does it hurt?” Scootaloo asked.

“It’s just like falling asleep. Then you wake up.”

“Okay. I want to do this,” Scootaloo said.

“Are you really sure?” Rainbow Dash asked, picking up the nymph.

“Yes. I... I don’t want to be starving all the time. I want to be happy. I want a life and I’ll never get that at the orphanage.”

“You know this won’t change the last thing there,” Rainbow Dash said. “You’ll have to stay there for now.”

“For now.” Scootaloo turned around and sat down, holding her head up for Rainbow Dash.

“Okay,” Rainbow Dash said. She opened the nymph’s mouth and lowered it onto Scootaloo’s head. She hadn’t seen the process from this perspective before and she was a little disappointed. She was expecting something, but it didn’t look like anything was happening.

Suddenly Scootaloo slumped to the ground. Rainbow Dash felt her chest but didn’t feel a heartbeat anymore. She removed the nymph and placed it away from Scootaloo’s body. She watched in fascination as the changeling erupted into flames. When the blue faded, she saw two identical fillies.

She watched for several minutes but neither filly moved. Slowly Scootaloo opened her eyes and she looked around. The first thing she noticed was her hooves were still orange. “Hey, it didn’t work!” she exclaimed.

“Yes it did,” Rainbow Dash said. She pointed over to the limp body.

“Woah! If that’s me then... It worked, didn’t it!”

“Yes.”

Scootaloo looked away from her corpse. “That is really creepy. What do we do with me? It? Me?”

“I was going to bury it deep in the woods so nopony would find it, unless you have a preference.”

“That’s okay.” Scootaloo scrunched up her face and grunted a few times. Each time she made a different strained expression. Finally she gave up and looked at Rainbow Dash. “Okay, how do I transform?”

Rainbow Dash smiled. “It’s easy to learn. First you have to visualize what you want to look like. I’ve found it’s easiest to be looking right at them. That way you don’t make mistakes. Then you focus on that image. The final step is the real trick. You have to reach inside yourself. There you find... well I’d call it a kind of energy you didn’t have before. I think it's changeling magic. Anyway, once you can feel out that energy, you will change forms. I’ve also found that once I’ve done a form, I can go back to it easily.”

Scootaloo nodded. She stared straight ahead and stood still for several minutes. Several times Rainbow Dash saw sparks of blue ignite around the filly but they didn’t cause a notable change.

“You’ve almost got it. Come on, just a little more,” she urged.

That did it. Scootaloo erupted into flames and Rainbow Dash was now faced with a filly version of herself.

“Hey, what gives!? Scootaloo complained. “Why am I still the same size?”

“It’s one of the limits. You also can’t do anything that isn’t a pony.”

“This is so cool!” Scootaloo said. She quickly shifted back into her normal body, then into the filly Rainbow Dash, then back again. “Thank you so much,” she said, hugging Rainbow Dash tightly.

“I did make a promise,” Rainbow Dash replied. “There’s a lot more to this but I’ll explain it some other time. You should probably be getting back soon before she gets mad.”

“I’ve got to show Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle first!” Scootaloo began galloping off.

“Stop!” Rainbow Dash ordered.

Immediately Scootaloo’s legs locked and she fell flat on her face. “What just happened?” she wondered out loud.

“Sorry,” Rainbow Dash said, helping her up. “Since I’m older you have to listen to me. Changeling biology. I didn’t mean for that to happen, though, I’m sorry.”

“Oh,” Scootaloo said, frowning. “So I can’t tell my friends?”

“You can tell whoever you want that you’re a changeling,” Rainbow Dash said. “But you can never tell how you became one.”

“Why not? I bet tons of ponies would want this!”

“Well they are out of luck. I told Princess Celestia that there were no other nymphs in the hive or queens to make more,” Rainbow Dash explained. “There are others that think they’re ponies but I’m going to leave them alone. The hive is effectively dead.”

“But then how did you do this?” Scootaloo asked.

“I may have... omitted the final egg the queen laid. I did make a promise to you and I wasn’t going to pull a cheap move like ‘oh I found a way but then made it impossible’.”

“So what do I say?”

“Tell them...” Rainbow Dash said, thinking hard. “I know. Tell them I simply figured out you were a changeling by chance. Our hive is made of ponies turned into changelings when they were near death, so just say you had an experience like that but pulled through somehow. That will take care of things.”

“But I can tell them I’m a changeling?” Scootaloo asked.

“Sure, but remember that a lot of ponies don’t like us. I would not tell a lot of ponies.”

“Okay. Hey, Rainbow Dash?”

“Yeah, Scoots?”

“Thanks for keeping your promise. You didn’t have to do all that. You lied to Princess Celestia for me...”

“I did have to. We orphans have to stick together, no matter what.”

“Yeah...”

“And you were only technically wrong when you asked if I was here to adopt you.” Scootaloo’s eyes went wide. “It turns out I’m legally dead. But once that’s sorted out..."

"Really?"

"Really. So practice your flying. I don't want to have to cart you to my house and back three times a day."

"I will," Scootaloo agreed. "Bye!" She began scampering off again. "And thanks. This is so cool!"

Rainbow Dash dropped her disguise for a moment then changed back. "Yeah. I guess this is pretty cool."

The End


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

My tumblr, an alternate universe mixing MLP and Cyborg 009.
The Seven Tribes, a rather long fanfic that, like many stories, tries to explain the past.
Samurai Applejack, a drastically different kind of story. It’s rated mature for violence and some suggestive lines.
Night of the Werepony, what I consider to be my worst story, but it’s rather popular. It’s just one chapter long.

Author's Note:

I like this ending more than the other one because I'm a big Scoota-Dash adoption fan.

Hey, so I made the pic a link to a tumblr I started based on the ending. If you want a sequel, go there. I made two blog posts that should have notified you all, so stop demanding it in the comments.