• Published 10th Sep 2022
  • 623 Views, 48 Comments

Sparkling Harmony EQG: Agents of SMILE: Prologue - Captain_Cosmos



Across the Mirror in Twilight's Castle, The Main 7 defend against magical threats in Canterlot City. This is NOT their story despite Sci-Twi being a main Character.

  • ...
2
 48
 623

Episode 4: Making new Discoveries

Canterlot City
Canterlot Mall
August 15th 2022
1130hrs

Sparkler pulled her car into a parking space outside Canterlot Mall. She put the car in park and she and her new roommate Autumn got out of it. “So that’s the mall.” Sparkler said, looking at the massive building. “Biggest mall I’ve ever seen.” She commented.

“You’re in the capital of Equestria Sparks, of course it’s mall would be big.” Autumn responded as they walked into the mall. It was two days after Sparkler had moved to Canterlot and Autumn invited her to her lunch meetup with her cousin Applejack and her friends in the mall. Sparkler accepted because she wouldn’t say no to making new friends, and also because it afforded her the chance to meet the rest of the first line of defense against magical incidents, having already met Sunset because they were neighbors. They entered the mall and saw that it was a little busy. “Back to school rush.” Autumn commented.

“Some things never change no matter the place.” Sparkler responded as they walked through the mall. A couple of minutes later, Flappy piped up in Sparkler’s covert earpiece. “Hey Sparks, check out the video game shop.” He said.

Confused, Sparkler turned her head to see what was clearly a video game store, and her eyes widened when she saw the poster on the window. “Oh, my, stars!” She squealed in excitement. She broke off from Autumn and power walked over to the shop window to look at the poster “Look at this! New expansion for Star Wars The Old Republic next week, Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga coming in two weeks. Jedi Survivor coming in three weeks. Flappy I preordered the galactic edition for Lego Star Wars and the deluxe edition for Jedi Survivor right?” She asked.

“Indeed you did.” Flappy responded.

Sparkler smiled widely. “Good. God I can’t wait to get my hands on these.” She commented.

Autumn watched Sparkler go fangirl over the Star Wars gaming poster and chuckled. “I take it you like Star Wars?” She asked as she joined Sparkler.

Sparkler smiled as she adjusted her glasses. “Star Wars, Star Trek, Transformers, Marvel, DC comics, video games and comics in those franchises, if it’s geek or nerd related, I’m in those fandoms.” She explained. “Have you seen my digital games libraries?” She asked.

Autumn laughed. “Oh I think you’ll get along with Sunset and Fluttershy quite well. Both of them are gamers and Sunset particularly enjoys action packed games.” She said.

“Yeah that’s right.” They heard Sunset say. Sparkler and Autumn turned to see Sunset in her sushi restaurant uniform approach. “Hey Autumn, Sparkler.” She said.

“Hey Sunset.” Autumn responded.

“Hey Sunset.” Sparkler said.

“Howdy neighbors.” Sunset responded. She glanced at the poster and smiled. “Hm. New expansion for Star Wars The Old Republic. Looks like I know what I’ll be playing tonight.” She commented.

Sparkler whirled her head around to stare at Sunset. “You play SWTOR?” She asked.

“Yep.” Sunset responded. “Have for the past year now.”

“No way. I’m a HUGE nut for that game!” Sparkler responded.

Sunset chuckled. “We can walk and talk. Friends are waiting in the food court.” She said.

Autumn agreed, and the three of them walked together towards the food court. “A huge nut eh?” Sunset asked Sparkler.

“Oh you have NO idea Sunset.” Sparkler responded. “I’ve played the game ever since it came out in 2011.”

“11 years playing SWTOR. Wow.” Sunset said.

“Yep. But that actually wasn’t my first MMO.” Sparkler said.

Autumn watched as Sunset and Sparkler talked video games and other stuff and she couldn’t help but smile and shake her head. She had the feeling that Sparkler and Sunset were going to spend a lot of time together.

The three of them rode the escalator up to the food court. They didn’t even get 10 steps away when confetti cannons went off and blasted confetti into the air in front of Sparkler, who was caught off guard. “Whoa!” She took a step back to keep from FALLING on her back. Before she knew it, a pink skinned girl was in her face, smiling like a madwoman. “Hiya Autumn’s new roommate and Sunset’s new neighbor welcome to Canterlot City I’m Pinkie Pie are you going to start at Canterlot High ahhh this is so exciting!” The girl was going off a million miles a minute.

Sunset, who had taken her own step back, blinked her shock away and groaned. “Pinkie Pie! Let her get to the TABLE first!” She exclaimed.

The girl apparently named Pinkie Pie stopped bouncing in place and smiled at Sunset. “Ok Sunny!” She said before she bounced away to a table with other girls sitting at it.

Sparkler watched her go and blinked away her own shock. “Ok…that was something.” She said.

Autumn chuckled. “You ok Sparkler?” She asked.

“Yeah.” Sparkler responded.

“Sorry about that Sparks, we shoulda warned you about Pinkie.” Sunset said.

“No harm done.” Sparkler said, before her glasses’ HUD came up and showed her SMILE’s file on Pinkie Pie. Fortunately the HUD was hidden from outside view.

Sunset nodded and she and Autumn led her over to the table. “I promise you’ll get used to it. Pinkie can be…eccentric at times.” She said.

“Noted.” Sparkler responded.

Sunset nodded as they reached the table. She smiled as she turned to her friends. “Hey girls. What’s up?” She asked.

“Well we just watched Pinkie startle yer new neighbor.” A blonde haired girl replied. She turned to Autumn and Sparkler. “Hey there cos, that your new roommate?” She asked.

Autumn smiled and nodded. “That’s right AJ.” She said. “This is Sparkling Medley. My new roomie.” She introduced Sparkler.

Applejack tipped her Stetson to Sparkler. “Well howdy there Sparkling Medley. Nice to meetcha. I’m Autumn’s cousin Applejack.” She said. “Ya already know Sunset. This here is Rainbow Dash.”

“Yo.” The Rainbow haired girl said.

“Rarity.”

“Pleasure to meet you darling.” A purple haired girl said.

“Fluttershy.”

“Uhmm…Hi.” A light pink haired girl said.

“And the one who startled y’all is Pinkie Pie.” Applejack said.

“Hiya new friend!” Pinkie said.

Sparkler smiled and shook hands with Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, Rainbow, and Pinkie, her glasses HUD bringing up each of SMILE’s files on the girls. “Nice to meet all of you.” She said. “You can just call me Sparkler.” She said as the three of them sat down.

Sunset nodded. “Is Twilight running late?” She asked her friends.

“Didn’t you get her text in the group chat?” Rarity asked. “She and her family are off on a vacation for the rest of the summer.” She explained.

“Huh. Must’ve missed that.” Sunset responded.

“Twilight?” Sparkler asked.

“Twilight Sparkle.” Rainbow responded. “Our resident egghead.” She added with a chuckle.

SMILE’s file on Twilight Sparkle appeared on her HUD for a minute before the HUD shut off completely. Sparkler smiled in the meantime. “Well it’s nice she’s going on a family vacation.” She said.

The rest of the table agreed. Fluttershy smiled. “So Sparkler, where do you come from?” She asked.

“Small town called KiliHima Town. In Saddle Arabia.” She said. “Literally, the most remote and boring place in the universe.” She said. Earning a round of chuckles from the whole table.

“Is that why you came all the way here to Canterlot City?” Applejack asked.

Sparkler laughed. “You could say that. Parents decided to transfer me to Canterlot High.” She said. “I’ve heard quite a bit about this place.” She said.

“Let me guess. Magical incidents?” Rainbow asked. “That usually makes the news first and foremost.”

“Yeah I think I heard something over my car radio about magical incidents being common around here.” Sparkler said.

“Y’all heard right.” Applejack replied. “But don’t fret. Y’all can usually get to safety pretty easily.” She added.

“Well that’s good.” She said

In the background, Sparkler could hear the mall’s music playing, and her ears caught a particular song that got her foot tapping. After a couple of beats, she started singing quietly, which gradually rose in volume.

🎶He pulls me in
Enough to keep
Me guessing.🎶

Her new friends glanced at her. “Sparkler?” Sunset asked.

Sparkler didn’t seem to hear them as she continued singing.

🎶Maybe I should stop
And start confessing
Confessing yeah!🎶

At that moment, Something happened that surprised the whole lot of them. Sparkler stood up and started dancing at the beat drop, that wasn’t anything outlandish, but what WAS outlandish, and downright unexpected in every sense of the word was Sparkler glowing, her appearance changing to make it look like she was made of crystals, and a transformation process that Sunset and her friends came to dub Ponying up.

Sparkler did not seem to notice as she continued what she was doing.

🎶Oh I’ve been shaking
I love it when you go crazy
You take all my inhibitions
Baby there’s nothing
Me back!

You take me places that
Tear up my reputation
Manipulate my decisions

Baby there’s nothing
holding me back!

there’s nothing
holding me back!

there’s nothing
holding me back!🎶

The song playing continued but Sparkler seemingly decided that was enough and ended her impromptu performance. Sparking applause and cheers from those who saw it. “Erm, sorry, just…felt the urge to sing along.” She addressed the table she was sitting at as she stopped dancing and turned back to see her new friends staring at her. After a moment, she raised an eyebrow. “What?”

“What?” Rainbow asked. “What do you mean what? Dude, do you KNOW what just happened?!” She asked. “While you were singing and dancing?”

“That was awesome by the way!” Pinkie quickly added.

Sparkler raised an eyebrow. She glanced at her arm, and at first she thought she knew what happened. “Oh, this. Yeah. This happens sometimes when I feel completely in sync with the beat. I’m not sure WHY I Crystalize whenever it happens but eh, I guess it’s cool.” She said.

Sunset blinked her shock away before speaking up. “Are wings, pony ears, and a ponytail part of that?” She asked.

Sparkler was confused again. She glanced behind her, and her eyes widened when she saw pink wings with gradient blue tips protruding from her back, as well as a ponytail in her hair. “Wha?” She asked as she touched the wings, sure enough, she could feel them. She heard throat clearing and turned to see Rarity holding up a handheld mirror to show her her head, and as she had been told, Sparkler saw pony ears.

Ten seconds later, Sparkler flowed again and this time her body returned completely to normal, her hair shortened back to its normal length, the wings disappeared, ears returned to normal and the crystalizing effect dissipated. Several thoughts were going around the table at that moment as everyone just processed what had happened. Sparkler’s mind was racing, she had crystalized plenty of times before, but never had wings, or pony ears, and she didn’t know how to react to that. Sunset and her friends were glancing at each other in disbelief. They all knew that Sparkler really did just pony up right in front of them, and they also knew that Sparkler probably didn’t even know what happened. And Autumn immediately thought to SMILE. Well, they’re gonna love this up at HQ. She thought.

After a moment, Fluttershy decided to break the silence. “T-that wasn’t supposed to happen, was it?” She asked Sparkler directly.

“Crystalizing, I can’t control it but when it happens it’s supposed to happen. But the wings, pony ears, and the pony tail?…That’s never happened before.” Sparkler responded. Trying her best not to panic. God I hope this isn’t anything bad. She thought.

Sunset blinked, before she spoke up. “Ok, there’s definitely something going on here. Sparkler do you have any plans this evening?” She asked.

“No?” Sparkler responded curiously.

“Good. Come over to my place later. We’ll have pizza, play some video games and we can talk about…whatever just happened.” Sunset responded.

Sparkler, sitting back down at the table, nodded. “Sounds like a plan.” She said.

“And in the meantime!” Pinkie said, pulling out some drinks from somewhere. “Let’s get you going on Canterlot’s greatest milkshakes!” She said.

“Double swirl cherry shakes! My favorite!” Rainbow said as they all took a cup.

“Sounds tasty.” She said.

Before she could drink however, she felt something land on her lap. she glanced down and saw a paper airplane sitting on her lap. Curious, she took the airplane and unfolded it. She recognized it immediately as a job application, but there was a sticky note attached to it. With a message on it. “What in the world?” She asked aloud.

“Sparkler?” Rarity asked.

Sparkler glanced at the sticky note and read aloud.

“If you’re looking for a part time job, you definitely have the voice and the moves to work at my new restaurant. Hope to see you for an interview…”

Sparkler stopped when she saw the signature on the sticky note. “No…way.” She said as she flipped the sticky note up to reveal the name of the restaurant on the application. “It…it…” She stammered. She whipped her head around until she saw it. There was indeed a new restaurant being worked on at the food court, and the name of the restaurant was. “Airwave’s Airwaves!” Sparkler exclaimed.

“Airwave?” Autumn asked. “As in that famous music artist?”

“Exactly Autumn!” Sparkler exclaimed, her excitement through the roof. “Oh my god I think Airwave just made a freaking JOB OFFER to me.” She said.

“Whoa. Sweet.” Rainbow said.

“He or someone he works with must’ve seen your little performance.” Sunset commented.

Sparkler nodded. “Anyone got a pen on them or SOMETHING?” She asked.

Applejack chuckled. “Ya might just need to wait till y’all get home.” She said.

After confirming with everyone that NO ONE had a pen on them. Sparkler reluctantly tucked the application away in her pocket. The shock of her recent crystallization forgotten. “This is the best day of my life.” She stated.

“Why’s that?” Fluttershy asked.

“I am a massive Airwave fan. The note said I had the voice to work at his new restaurant here. If it’s coming from him that’s how you know you’re good!” Sparkler explained.

“Ooh exciting.” Rarity responded.

“Oh you have NO idea Rarity.” Sparkler responded.


SMILE HQ
Canterlot City
August 15th 2022
1200hrs

At SMILE HQ, Director Derrick stared at his computer screen, looking at Sparkler as she crystalized, and ponied up, thanks to security footage brought to his attention by one of his monitor agents. “Well this is certainly interesting.” He commented as he tapped a hidden button on his desk and a secret compartment opened up. He reached in and pulled out a strange device. He tapped the device once and spoke into it. “Director Derrick here. I’m sending you something you might find interesting…Yeah it’s related to Sparkling Medley…yes she’s wearing her necklace and that ring. I’ll explain later. But right now have a look at this.” He said before he tapped the device again, pocketed it, and sent the security footage to an unknown destination. “Bringing her to Canterlot City, in direct contact with magic. We’ll see if that was the smartest idea.” He commented before getting back to his work.

To be continued…

Author's Note:

Before anyone says anything. Remember who’s the main character here. Being a walking mystery is basically Sparkler’s MO at this point. Lol.

And Derrick? What’s he got going on? So many questions.

THX FOR READING!