• Published 20th Sep 2012
  • 7,818 Views, 418 Comments

My Little Fantasy - GuyWhoWritesThings



Unable to accept the failures and lies that make up his life, Cloud Strife is pulled through the green glow of the Lifestream, only to find himself... in Equestria?

  • ...
16
 418
 7,818

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 19: I've Met A Terrible Fate, Haven't I?

Chapter 19: I've Met A Terrible Fate, Haven't I?

"So why does she keep calling you Dusk, anyway, Cloud?" Rainbow Dash asks from her upside-down hovering position above the rest of us. How does she keep doing that? Wings don't work that way!

"Because that is the name he graced Trixie's majesty with, dear prismatic pegasus!" Trixie answers for me without missing a beat, one hoof to her chest. "Besides, it is a much better name than 'Cloud'. Who would want to willingly be named after a tool used for inferior pegasus magic?" I feel like there's some inter-ponies-species-relations stuff being touched on here that I need to stay as far away from as possible.

"You know," Rainbow Dash flips to flying right-side up so she can look down at Trixie, "we haven't even finished walking from Fluttershy's to Ponyville and I'm already regretting this whole 'giving you a second chance' thing."

"Does it really matter?" I interject, "Until I get my full memory back, there's no way of knowing whether either of those are my name anyway." A bit of a lie, as my name was among the first things I remembered, but if it'll stop this...

"See! It's a pointless discussion anyway, pegasus." Trixie raises her head high as we enter Ponyville proper. "So I shall continue to address my assistant as I see fit, and you may continue to utilize inferior naming conventions, if you wish." It never ends with her.

"And that's another thing!" Rainbow Dash continues, "What do you assist her with anyway, Cloud? She's a stage magician without a stage!" Ouch.

"Rainbow!" Twilight scolds, getting Rainbow's attention and using her eyes to motion to Trixie, whose expression has become noticeably darker.

"Ah... sorry. I didn't mean it like that." Rainbow rubs the back of her head with one hoof. "I just don't see what you would... assist Trixie with, Cloud."

"Well, there was this one time..." I begin, a smug smirk hidden by my poncho's hood, however...

"Do not speak of that, Dusk!" Trixie cuts in. "And for your information, pegasus, Dusk is a wonderfully helpful assistant, much like Sparkle's pet drake."

Rainbow Dash sniggers and flies out in front of us, turning to me. "Sounds like someone has some Great and Powerful Dirt on the Great and Powerful Trixie, huh?" She smacks my shoulder with one hoof. "Guess we know whose really top dog in this relationship!"

"We're here!" Twilight cuts in a bit too eagerly as we reach the outside of an ornate, multi-story building with a carousel motif, denying me another chance to see if I can make Trixie throw something. The pinks and purples of the walls and draping overhangs are accented with a checkerboard pattern, yellow curtains framing each of the windows, and a single carousel pony is emblazoned above the door.

"Interesting design." I note to myself. Thinking on it, it's really quite a bit morbid - it's like a human making a playground ride based on you riding other humans, then someone else using that as a motif for their shop. The fact this doesn't seem to bother these ponies any makes me wonder quite a bit what their upbringings are like...

"Welcome to Rarity's Carousel Boutique," Twilight explains, "hot spot for all your fashion needs in Ponyville!" I suppose the carousel ponies could be viewed as mannequins of some kind, but... a clothing store whose entire outside motif is mannequins? That's really not any better.

"Are you sure your special talent isn't informercials, Sparkle?" Trixie quips in reply. "So your friend is a dressmaker, Trixie doesn't see how this translates into properly outfitting a magician's stage." Her head turns up to further examine the design of the boutique. "Though she shall admit to the originality of this building's design." That's it, originality. Not creepiness. Not at all.

"Don't be so quick to judge, Trixie." Twilight replies as she gives a knock on the door with her hoof. "Just wait and see." If Rarity decorated the building herself, I can at least see the merit of wanting to her to help with the layout of the stage. There's nothing wrong with the building in that regard, just hopefully whatever she does with the stage is less chill-inspiring.

"That's assuming she'll even help you two, Twilight." Rainbow does a small, impatient flip in the air. "My bits are still on Trixie getting beaned in the face with a ponnequin." Ponnequin? I guess they wouldn't be called mannequins here. The thought of Trixie getting nailed with one the second the door opens does require me to suppress my tickled funny bone. It'd probably be more than a little painful, though it might at least teach her to not throw things at other people so much.

Trixie opens her mouth to reply but is cut off by a yell from inside. "Come in! Come in! We're open!" calls the exasperated voice I remember as Rarity's from inside the building.

"Hey Rarity, it's Twilight!" Twilight pushes the door open and leads us inside, Rainbow Dash making a casual-looking upside-down beeline toward the far corner as the rest of us step toward the center of the main room. The room itself is strewn with mirrors, various spools of fabric, and a number of sewing and fabric machines. In the side of the room furthest from Rainbow Dash is the boutique's owner, hunching over a table as she works on a project.

"And what are you supposed to be doing?" I ask, turning to Rainbow Dash, who's floating over quite a few of these 'ponnequins' which, honestly, look far creepier than their human counterparts. I can't exactly say why, but something about them is just...

"Getting as far away from the action as I can." Rainbow loops back right-side up and comes down for a landing on top of one of the ponnequins, lounging about as I turn back to the pair of unicorns who've made their way almost all the way across the room to the store's owner. "You should probably join me, that getup you're wearing will probably send her into 'fashion disaster' mode and make things even worse."

"I'll be fine." I assure her with a wave of my right hand. How bad can this really get?

"Ah, Twilight dear, I'm a bit busy on a big order that's come in," Rarity finally replies after getting her next row of stitches in, "Spike should be back any time now, if you're looking to pick him up. He's just getting me some more supplies."

"It's not that, Rarity." Twilight walks a bit closer, Trixie approaching in her shadow. "I just need a bit of help with something."

"Oh, what's that, Twilight?" Rarity sets the next layer of fabric onto her table with her magic. "Spike told me you've been putting up with quite a handful of a... guest... ever since you came back to Ponyville."

"Yeah, about that..." Twilight starts.

"Trixie has done her part to be a perfectly amicable and hospital guest, thank you!" ...And Trixie finishes. I decide Rainbow Dash's idea isn't looking half-bad right now and sit crossed-legged at my current place in the room instead of joining Trixie and Twilight.

Rarity slowly sets her fabric down and turns to the other two unicorns. She's wearing a pair of wide-rimmed, purple glasses with what appear to be inlaid gems. "Ah! Hello again... Trixie." The tremble of her voice allows a small amount of the bile she feels for my poor, blue companion seep through what's clearly a well-worn, businesslike exterior.

Trixie, for her part, pulls her hat off her head with one hoof and sweeps it under her chin as she lowers her head. "Greetings, Rarity, friend of Twilight Sparkle. I believe our last meeting ended on less than friendly terms, to my deepest regret."

I can't help but turn my head to Rainbow Dash, whose mouth looks like it would be on the floor if her chin would allow it. A quick turn back to the main event shows Twilight isn't doing much better. I suppose Trixie would be more than capable of matching Rarity in bullshit-amicability.

"Less than friendly terms, indeed." Rarity's eyes narrow. "Luckily, Fluttershy was a great help in helping me salvage my 'rat nest', as you called it."

"Trixie deeply apologizes for that." She resumes her normal stature, hat back on her head. "While it is not to Trixie's personal tastes, she can see the supreme effort one must take to keep their mane like that. After her experience on the rock farm, it took a might equal to shaking the heaven's to keep even Trixie's naturally beautiful tail and mane at their top form."

Rarity shudders. "A rock farm!" Her eyes turn to her mane, which she strokes with one hoof to bring into better view. "I can only imagine the kinds of soot and dirt that could sully a mane there..."

"Quite." Trixie allows herself the smallest of triumphant smirks. "It taught Trixie the error in her ways in regards to the reply she made to your heckling. Your mane needn't be the innocent victim in our contest of unicorn skill."

Her eyes return to Trixie, a bit softer now, though her business mask is still clearly in place. "Yes. Imagine how you would feel if I had weaved my outfit from your cape and hat and not your curtain."

Now Trixie is on the defensive, her eyes turning back to the star-studded cape along her back. It's beginning to feel a lot like watching a pair of chess grandmasters making and endless series of bluffs to see who makes the mistake of moving in first. "Mm... these items have quite a personal value to Trixie. She would not forgive such a transgression."

Rarity's the one smiling smugly now. "Then you know why I'm not about ready to forgive you." She ends the conversation by turning to Twilight, who until now has simply been watching their conversation with a stunned expression. The smile then becomes warm. "So, what did you need, Twilight?"

"Ah.... hah... heh..." Twilight laughs nervously, trying to find anything to focus on that's not the marshmallow mare in front of her.

"The dynamic duo there want to put on an over-the-top magic show in Ponyville and need your help turning the library into a magic stage." I decide to push the subject for them, as neither unicorn seems anywhere close to able to spit out their purpose here after that exchange.

"Ah! Cloud, is that you over there?" Rarity looks over the two unicorns to me before walking around them to close the distance. "What on earth are you wearing? I swear, you're even worse than a pony stallion when it comes to having any fashion sense at all!" Behind her, Trixie's defeated look as quickly been replaced by a glare at the comments over the western ensemble she picked out for me, though she thankfully remains silent.

"It's fine." I assure her. "Just something so ponies will just think I'm a heavily clothed diamond dog or a drake or something. And besides, it's comfortable."

"Yes, but... a tan poncho with red highlights to contrast a blue uniform? Did you buy this in Appleloosa or something?" She's finally up to me, pulling on the fabric of my poncho with her hooves to inspect it. "This is absolutely dreadful! Even the quality on this thing is second-rate!"

Trixie's glare replaces itself with a scowl. I think Twilight finally notices, however, as she chooses this moment to jump in. "Yeah, Rarity, like Cloud said, I need a bit of help dressing up the library for a stage performance. Trixie and I want to put on a magic show there to make up for the, uh, last time she was in Ponyville."

Rarity faces Twilight again. "So... that's why she's here." Rarity sighs. "Look, Twilight, I don't know why you're associating yourself with her, but I'm having no part of it."

"But Rarity, come on," Twilight's face becomes pleading, "she made a mistake, she apologized, and the bear-"

"Wasn't her fault." Rarity finishes. "I'm quite aware a performer is not responsible for the actions of two unattended children, Twilight." Her head shifts to face Trixie. "The problem is you're too naive, Twilight. You're not experienced with the crowds of large cities such as Manehatten the way I and undoubtedly Trixie are, but her apology was quite disingenous, and I have no inclination to reduce myself to aiding a fraud."

"Trixie is no fraud, seamstress!" Trixie stomps her hoof. There's the Trixie I know and loathe. "Her shows are all genuine feats of magic and props designed to amaze and enterain the young and magically disinclined, interwoven with inspiring tales of heroism!"

"I meant your character, not your show, dear." Rarity walks past them and back to her table. "You don't have any true remorse for the harsh actions you take against your hecklers, so there's no way to know you won't do it again. Let's not ignore the fact you also put quite a bit of effort into lying to my face for your own gain, which also tells me there's no counting the amount of lies you've told to get here."

"I..." Trixie stutters. A loss of words for her is something new. Lack of third person is also something new.

"Now unless you wish to place an order in with the Carousel Boutique, Trixie, I believe our conversation is finished." Rarity turns her machine back on and grips the fabric again with her magic, returning the project on her table and leaving a whiplashed unicorn behind her.

"Trixie, are you okay?" Twilight turns to her, apparently also noticing the change in Trixie's vocabulary.

Trixie, for her part, is staring at her hooves. Something about their exchange leaves her looking entirely defeated in a way I'm not used to seeing.

"I told you she wasn't gonna help." Rainbow Dash says lowly, though loud enough for Twilight to hear and shoot her a look meant to convey the message of 'now is not the time for that'.

Trixie begins walking towards the exit of the boutique. As she nears my side she stops for a moment, and takes a deep, shuddering breath. "Let's go, Dusk. I told you this plan of yours to return to Ponyville would end badly."

Her voice lacks its booming confidence, replaced with a low timber indicative of the emotions she's barely holding back. I look her over, searching for a way to salvage this situation, but my social prowess isn't up there with my fighting prowess. I turn to Twilight, hoping the unicorn is better suited to dealing with these situations, but it's clear this isn't anything close to the result she expected, either. I clench my hands for a moment, a small pit forming in my stomach as I realize how little I can do in this kind of situation.

As I'm looking between Trixie and Twilight, I hear Rarity's machine stop again and turn to her. She's stopped her work and has her head turned to watch the pair of magicians, but says nothing.

"Trixie..." Twilight walks up beside her. "It'll be fine. We'll just find another way to get the library spruced up on time, won't we, Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow, for her part, looks to the duo like a deer caught in headlights. "Uh... sure." Looks like I'm not the only one ill-equipped for this situation.

"My problems are a bit more than capes and curtains, Twilight Sparkle." Trixie responds, her voice continuing to waver as she tries to make the remaining march from the center of the room to the exit.

"Quite right!" Rarity exclaims behind them with a clap of her hooves. "They're also lighting and seating arrangements!" I look to the white unicorn and can't help but raise an eyebrow from under my hood. Clearly I've missed something in their social entanglement.

Trixie turns back to her. "What are you...?" Trixie's questions are silenced by a marshmallow hoof on her mouth.

"Hush now. Less questions, more planning!" She turns to Twilight. "When's the big debut?"

"So you're going to help after all, Rarity?" Twilight's usual smile is back on her face now as she stamps her front hooves excitedly, then slowly stops. "Erm... we were going to perform tonight, if we could."

"That short notice?" Rarity asks in reply, pulling her glasses up to her forehead. "We've got to get our stars in tip-top looks, though there's no time for a spa treatment so I'll just need to work some of my magic and..."

"Why does everyone in here look so mopey?" Spike's voice asks from under a pile of spools and threads at the front door. "I'm gone for ten minutes and this place gets more depressed than a hole in the ground!"

"Everything's fine, Spike!" Twilight shoots over to her Number One Assistant, as Rarity pulls up his bundles in her magic and levitates them wherever they need to go. "Rarity just agreed to help us set up the big show! Isn't it great?" Yeah, that's what just happened.

Twilight claps her hooves as Spike looks with a raised eyebrow between Trixie and Rarity. "Really?" He asks, sarcastically. I see he knows the score around here, at least.

"Quite 'really', young dragon!" Trixie beams with her head held high, her usual swagger restored. "The gracious host of this fine establishment was more than understanding in Trixie's endeavor to return her career to a bright and shining future!" Does she have a mood switch or something? Can I clap my hands or tug her tail or something to make her moods change on demand? Being able to flip your mood that quickly can't be natural.

"But... didn't you have that big order due tomorrow, Rarity?" Spike asks, looking at the giant piles of cloth Rarity just finished arranging. "How are you going to do both that and this?"

Trixie takes the opportunity to move to Rarity, draping a hoof over her shoulder while using the other to motion in front of her as she talks. "Forget those other guys, just think of it! The Return of the Great and Powerful Trixie, touring across all of Equestria, all props, costumes, and stage dressings furnished exclusively by Ponyville's Carousel Boutique! The business deal of a lifetime, if Trixie says so herself!"

"...One step at a time, Trixie." Rarity replies, narrowing her eyes and slowly unhooking Trixie's hoof from her shoulder. "Though my Spikey does bring up a good point... but I'll find a way. There's not an order big enough to stop Rarity when her friends need assistance, after all!"

"Ah yes, the indomitable spirit of a proud unicorn!" Trixie proclaims, hoof extended to the air. "Maybe yourself and Trixie are far more similar than the surface level leads one to believe!" I don't think she's taking that as a compliment, Trixie.

"So, will Cloud be participating in this show?" Rarity asks, her eyes moving to me. "Because there's no way that costume wi-"

"Not happening." I cut Rarity off before she can begin a tangent on that topic again. "The Great and Powerful One knows I don't do stage performances."

"Sometimes Trixie laments the uselessness of her newfound assistant, indeed." Trixie's eyes move from myself to Spike. "Trixie bets that Sparkle's dear assistant would assist her in a stage performance."

"As long as Twilight doesn't try sawing me in half." Spike shrugs. "I wouldn't mind having a swaggy mustache again, though." He gives a dopey grin and rubs under his snout. I'm not sure I even want to know what he's talking about at this point.

"See!" Trixie points to the dragon dramatically, turning to me. "Why can you not be more cooperative and assisting, Dusk?"

"Because I have self re-" I start.

"That's it!" Twilight smack one hoof on top of the other, lighting the proverbial light bulb and making all eyes turn to her. "We can have Spike and Cloud help us! We could do all kinds of more complicated tricks then, couldn't we, Trixie?" Oh hell no.

"And I could make them the most marvelous matching outfits!" Rarity chimes in, pulling out a measuring tape and beginning to fit Spike. Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

"This is so not happening." I get up, trying to beat a hasty retreat for the door when I feel the tug of magic on my ankle. I topple forward, catching myself with my arms as my ankle is dragged back towards my newfound unicorn harbinger of doom.

"You're not escaping, assistant! This was your idea, after all!" Trixie tugs towards her with her magic, pulling me up into the air by my ankle and turning me to face her. Her smug grin is even worse when viewed upside-down. "Trixie is going to enjoy this."

I turn toward where Rainbow Dash was lounging moments before and see nothing but a toppling ponnequin and a rainbow streak reaching from her previous perch all the way to the front door, which is now swinging open.

I'm screwed.

PreviousChapters Next