• Published 8th Sep 2022
  • 215 Views, 6 Comments

The Young Warrior: Fortuna's Promise - Melody Song



Fortuna's point of view as she mentors her apprentice, Pharynx, and teaches him to be a better creature as she watches him grow

  • ...
 6
 215

Health

Fortuna walked through the Hive, stopping at Thorax and Pharynx’s room. She peeked in, and Thorax’s face filled her vision. She giggled and nuzzled him.

“Hallo Thory!”

“Forty!” Thorax smiled at her, then frowned and blocked the entrance. “U-Uh, you can’t come in…”

“Heh, whyever not?” Fortuna asked, and Thorax hesitated.

“Uh… because Phary said so.”

“Don’t call me that…” Fortuna heard Pharynx protesting weakly from somewhere in the room.

“Well, I was coming to get Phary because he didn’t show up at the time we agreed on for our training.” Fortuna said.

“I’m coming ‘Tuney!” Pharynx called from inside the room, his voice sounding raspy.

Fortuna blinked, then looked at Thorax. He smiled at her awkwardly, then turned around, his face tensing in worry.

“Stay put Phary!”

“S-Shut up, wimp…”

Fortuna tilted her head in confusion as she heard dragging hoofsteps. Thorax was shoved aside and she finally got a good look at her apprentice.

She immediately agreed with Thorax, he should have stayed put.

Pharynx’s ears were drooping, his face was pale, his eyes had lines under them, and his nose was red. His wings and the red neckfin that was growing in had drooped slightly as well. Fortuna lunged for the nymph, who quickly dropped into an attack stance, but Fortuna merely scooped him up.

“H-Hey! ‘Tuney, l-leggo!” Pharynx struggled, coughing.

“Phary, you’re ill, you need to have a lie down.” Fortuna carried him over to the nest in the room, depositing him in the soft moss. He immediately tried to get up, but she placed a hoof on his chest gently, holding him down. “Must I swaddle you up like a baby?”

“Heh, with what?” Pharynx asked, the glint in his eyes clearly daring her to find something remotely fabric-like to do it with. Fortuna chose to think on that one.

“Nevermind. Thorax, do you have-” She noticed the nymph pulling a first aid kit over, grateful that it was mandatory all rooms of high-ranking changelings had them. “Thank you Thory. Thermometer?”

Thorax pulled it out and hoofed it to her, and Fortuna nodded in thanks, grateful that ponies at least had some useful medicinal tools, despite being their enemies. She smiled and levitated the thermometer to Pharynx, who stubbornly kept his mouth shut. Fortuna giggled, he was being such a nymph right now, it was cute. Though she wished it hadn’t taken him being sick to act his own age.

“Phary, mouth open.”

Pharynx shook his head, crossing his forelegs and pouting. Fortuna dangled the thermometer a little out of his line of sight.

“Phary, your favorite food is roasted chicken, right?” Fortuna asked, and Pharynx nodded. “Well, I saw the chefs making one, I bet if you hurry they’ll let you have a taste.”

“Real-mmph!” Pharynx was cut off as the thermometer was stuffed into his mouth. He instantly began pouting again as Fortuna rubbed his head.

“It’s okay Phary, it’ll be over in a bit.” Fortuna soothed, giving his head a gentle pat before turning to Thorax. “Thory, what have all his symptoms been?”

“Symp… tons…?” Thorax asked, tilting his head in confusion, making Fortuna giggle.

Symptoms. Has he been vomiting? Coughing, sneezing?”

“Oh, well… all of it? I woke up and he was sneezing and coughing really bad, and then he went over to the window and threw up.”

“Anything else?”

“I don’t think so…”

“Alright then. Let’s just check that temperature.” Fortuna reached and gently pulled the thermometer back out of Pharynx’s mouth. Pharynx grumbled and sunk into the moss as Fortuna looked at the thermometer. “Hm… 110 degrees, yep, that’s a fever…”

Pharynx coughed and buried himself in the nest. Fortuna rubbed his back gently.

“Thorax, go to the kitchens and tell the nearest chef that I requested a pitcher of water, some towels, a bowl of soup-whichever one is your brother’s favorite-and get something for yourself.”

“O-Okay Forty.” Thorax stammered, running out. Fortuna smiled as she watched him go, then laid in the nest beside Pharynx.

“Yay, he’s gone. Can we train now-achoo!” Pharynx sniffed and rubbed his nose, and Fortuna chuckled.

“You’re not doing anything except staying here and resting.”

“But ‘Tuney-!”

“No buts. You’re staying put. In order for you to be physically and mentally capable of training you need to be in good health.” Fortuna told him, and he sighed, nodding.

“Yes ‘Tuney…” Pharynx sighed, and Fortuna smiled at him. The two sat in silence for a bit, until Thorax returned.

“Forty, I’m back.” Thorax came in, pushing a pitcher of water in front of him. A few towels lay draped across his back, a bowl of steaming tomato soup resting on them. He clutched something wrapped in foil in his mouth.

“Thank you Thory! You were quick!” Fortuna relieved the little nymph of the water and soup, allowing him to carry the other two things.

“The chefs were really fast! But I didn’t see them cooking chicken anywhere. I think you might’ve been seeing things, Forty.” Thorax said, and Fortuna noticed Pharynx giggling.

“Well, you’ve the soup and water. What else have you got there??”

“Bread.” Thorax unwrapped the foil covered lump, smiling. “You said I could get something for myself so I got bread for Pharynx to dip in the soup.”

Fortuna chuckled and pulled him closer to Pharynx, who was crawling off again, trying to escape. Fortuna grinned, grabbing one of the towels.

“Oh Phary~” she said, and he looked up, eyes widening.

“No! ‘Tuney, no!”

Pharynx didn’t have much of a choice, in an instant he was swaddled up in the towel. Thorax began laughing, chittering and pointing at him. Fortuna laughed as well, cradling Pharynx like a baby. Fortuna laid down on her stomach Sphinx-style, placing the Pharynx-bundle in between her forelegs, levitating over the soup. Fortuna dipped one of the other towels in the pitcher of water and then laid it over Pharynx’s forehead.

“There you go, how about some soup, Phary?” Fortuna asked, and he glared at her. She lifted up the spoon, holding it by his mouth. He grumbled, wriggling until one of his hooves was free, then let her guide the spoon to his mouth. “Drink up, Phary.”

Pharynx drank the soup obediently, as his brother curled up beside him, breaking off a little piece of the loaf of bread and dunking it in the bowl, nibbling on it. Fortuna smiled at the two, feeling affection rushing through her. Fortuna held the two close, humming to them kindly. Pharynx had a few more sips of the tomato soup, then yawned, falling asleep. Fortuna giggled softly, as his brother joined him soon after.

“Goodnight you two.” Fortuna nuzzled them both. “Sleep well, my sons.”