• Published 20th Sep 2012
  • 2,651 Views, 125 Comments

Together Forever - CodenameOne



Spike learns his true sexuality and adjusts with the changes in his life that come with it.

  • ...
27
 125
 2,651

Epilogue: Together Forever

Epilogue: Together Forever

Twilight, by the time you read this, I’ll be gone.

I went to see Rarity last night, she called me the usual ‘fag’ and ‘freak’. To be honest I don’t care any more. She is what she is, and there’s no changing that.

But I found a way, a way to see Lickety again. With the doctors pulling the plug on his life support soon I know that Lickety will die, and he’ll be all alone without me in heaven. My heaven. Our heaven.

I found a way, a way to ensure he won’t be alone in heaven. I found a way for us to be together...forever.

I’m sorry, Twilight, but it’s the only way.

It’s OK, though, ‘cause I know I’ll see you again someday.

Love, Spike.

-=-=-=-

The weight of solemn hung heavy in the area outside Ponyville Town Hall, where everypony in the town was gathered for a commemorative speech dedicated to Spike. The funeral was in a few hours, and they all wanted to share their words regarding the baby dragon.

It’s all my fault; if I had been home he wouldn’t have read the letter, and I could’ve gently let him know and helped him through Twilight thought.

Pinkie and Fluttershy were leaning on each other, crying heavily. Applejack was holding her hat against her chest, and even Rainbow looked depressed.

Rarity was nowhere to be seen.

“Today, is a very heartfelt day. We are gathered in memorial of Spike, loyal assistant at the Ponyville Library, and friend to us all. I remember the help he provided to even me, as a friend and as a royal advisor. May we never forget him, and all he did for us” the Mayor stated, addressing the crowd.

“But now, we have a special speaker here today. One who was very close to Spike. You may come out now” the Mayor said, stepping back from the podium and standing to the side to make way for--

Rarity.

The Unicorn fashionista took her place at the podium and scanned the crowd; many of looked at her in angry disbelief, others curiosity.

Her mane was a frazzled mess.

Her gaze reached Twilight, and she saw the face of fury and scorn staring back at her.

Rarity gulped and began to speak.

“I...I just wanted to say I’m sorry. I’m sorry for the way I acted. I’m sorry for the things I’ve said. I’m sorry for how this all turned out. I’m sorry for attacking Lily. I’m sorry for trying to kidnap Spike. I’m sorry for...everything, really. But most of all I’m sorry and disappointed for myself. I was stupid, and that cost Spike his life. I wish I could take it all back. I wish I could bring Spike back to life and Lickety out of a coma, but not even alicorn magic is powerful enough to undo what will eventually befall all of us, and what has befallen Spike. Much too soon, as well. The truth is, Ponyville...I am a lesbian, and I have hidden under this mask of scorn for gays all my life because, that is what I was taught as a filly. That is how I was raised. But you know what the worst part of that is? The part that is like a knife in your gut being twisted? A pony in this crowd came to me a week or so ago, confessing to me that she too is a lesbian, and I told her that it was OK. That I still love her as a dear friend... I live...I lived in a state of hypocrisy, shunning gays whilst accepting and being a lesbian myself, that is why I never once mentioned the possibility of any fillies or mares coming out when telling any of you why I treated Spike the way I did, and for that I know I am going to hell. My hell will be terrible beyond any other, because it will torment me not physically, but emotionally as it forces me to watch over and over again the pain and suffering I have caused these last two weeks... I’ve learned something through all this; that all in Equestria are equal under our Princesses, regardless of their orientation... I’m sorry, Spike. You were my friend, and I am sickened by myself to say that I was your friend. I do not deserve to say this, but...I will miss you, and already do” Rarity said, the tears never once ceasing to stream from her eyes.

When she opened them to look at Twilight in the crowd, she saw the look of fury and scorn replaced by sorrow and compassion.

She would never be forgiven, not by her friends, not by the townsponies, not even by the Princesses.

And certainly not by herself.

“I’m sorry.”

-=-=-=-

Princess Celestia hung her head in sorrow, still saddened from the funeral she and her sister had just returned from. The two sat alone in their room, the guards instructed to not interrupt them for anything.

“This catastrophe could have been prevented had we intervened sooner” Luna lamented stoically, more angry than sad.

“Yes... I think it’s time we declare that all ponies in our kingdom are equal, regardless of race, gender, or orientation” Celestia replied.

“I concur, but it won’t change the past. Spike will still be dead, and his mate will be soon. Nothing we can do will change the past” the Princess of the night stated.

“No, but it will save the future.”

-=-=-=-

All of Ponyville was slow to get over the death of Spike; it was the darkest moment in the town’s history. Attacks from Everfree monsters, Cerberus, even their enslavement at the hands of the corrupt Trixie were nothing compared to the death of Spike. The doorstep of the library was bombarded with flowers and pictures of Spike happy, and having fun with his friends, of which there were many.

Princesses Celestia and Luna quickly forced the ‘Equine Equality’ decree into law, allowing all under the care of their sun and moon the right to live as they are.

Rarity was punished appropriately for causing the suicide of a royal advisor and friend, she lives in perpetual guilt.

The stallion who assaulted Lickety Split, Buckshot Smiles, is still at large in Equestria. There is a bounty on him for being brought to the authorities alive; the reward is 200,000 bits.

Applejack soon came out as the mare who confided the secret of her orientation to Rarity; she was quickly accepted by all in the town.

Rarity was further punished by her former friends by demanding she never talk to any of them ever again; business at her boutique declined almost instantly, and she was forced to close up and move back with her parents, who had caught wind of who she really was.

The last time she was seen was the night her parents went to the police, claiming she had nearly killed them in a fit of rage. The last words she was heard saying were “I’m taking Sweetie Belle with me, and I will surely raise her better than how you miserable BASTARDS raised me!”

Twilight’s friends helped her overcome Spike’s death, and she runs Ponyville Library to this day. Every night she flips through the pages of the scrapbook Spike started as a little hatchling, titled “me and twilite”.

A sad smile comes to her face at the backwards “e”s and her misspelled name.

-=-=-=-

Ms. Split looked on in sorrow at her comatose son, having cried all the tears she possibly could over what was about to happen.

“It’s been a week, Ms. Split. I’m sorry, but this is for the best. He’ll be happy in heaven, with Spike” Dr. Stable said to her, attempting to comfort the mare. It had been a busy week for the Dr., what with doing the autopsy on Spike, caring for his other patients, and keeping an eye on Lickety.

His comforting didn’t work.

“I just want him back... Let’s get this over with” Ms. Split said.

“Any last words you want to share with Lickety?”

The mare nodded and approached her son, stroking his mane and kissing him on the forehead. “It’s OK, sweetie, you’re going to a happy place where no one can ever hurt you... Say hi to Spike for me, OK?”

She kissed him on the forehead again, remembering all those times she had done so when he was ill as a little colt. Remembering all the times they had stayed up late on weekends and watched scary movies. Remembering all those times she had said “I love you” to him and earning the same in return.

It was the hardest decision of her life, but there was no better alternative.

“OK...I’m ready, doc” Ms. Split finally said, turning to face the medical machines as she watched the green line indicating Lickety’s heartbeat and listening to it beep in tandem.

Dr. Stable had just put his hoof on the switch and was about to turn it off when they heard a loud gasp and a thrashing, turning to look at the bed and seeing Lickety awake and looking around the room in a panic, his eyes wide and breathing shallow and erratic.

“W-WHERE’S SPIKE?!” the colt yelled desperately.

-=-=-=-

The end of Together Forever!

Author's Note:

Legal note: Spike the Dragon, Lickety Split, and all related characters belong to Hasbro. My Little Pony belongs to Hasbro. Buckshot Smiles belongs to Michael Blackburn.

Comments ( 50 )

Talk about a twist.

Rarity's speech... it just didn't feel believable. Maybe it's the "I acted like a complete bigoted asshole because I'm gay and my parents shoved down my throat that all gays and lesbians are evil" cliche, yes it does occur in real life but here it just felt tacked on. That aside poor Likety Split :fluttercry:

Nooooooooooo, whyyyyyyyyyy?!!!!?

Wow, that song was the perfect fit. It also helped that it ended right when I finished the chapter
How convinient. Great story man, it was quite good, and nearly brought me to tears.

2062901 Yeah I thought the speech was a little weak. Ah well.

Wait.....is this a M/M with Spike?! :pinkiegasp: Holy shit I must get to reading at once!

2069779 Exactly how I feel, too. For better or for worse, Spike's personality in the show really fits the kind of 'young boy with major crush on older woman and grows up to be gay anyway' stereotype.

This was a good story. Some weak points here and there, but it was a nice read. The sad thing being is that something like this actually could happen, I think that is why I liked it. Hate to hate you for killing Spike and keeping Lickety alive, but I guess that is why there is the sad tag on the story. But again, good read.

I kinda hate Rarity for that!
But still I love the stories you make!
Keep being AWESOME!!:pinkiehappy:

This is incredibly melodramatic. Don't get me wrong I love it, but not for the reasons I should. I mean, come on! Lickity getting beaten into a coma? Spike hanging himself? I can see that you tried to be serious, but the thing is, you're not good at it. And the 'where are they now?' bit, that's less American Graffiti and more Animal House.

Basically, this is like The Room with ponies. Gay ponies. Much like The Room, this is very entertaining, for entirely the wrong reasons. A solid 8/10.

Will there be a sequel? You left so much hanging it hurts.

2079843 What do you mean I'm not good at writing serious stuff? Have you even seen my other stories?!

I thought the 'Where are they now' bit was suitable, but it won't work for everyone I suppose.

Thanks for your feedback anyway!

2080196 No, there will be no sequel. I left it all open like that on purpose.

2080236 I'm sorry, it's just, the way those last couple of chapters went, I can't take it seriously! I mean, Spike hanging himself in the shower? It's like a bad soap opera!

2080301 LOL! There should be a category for 'Bad Soap Opera'!

2080236 that is just a shame. I loved this and seeing it end is a shame.

2080932 Fret not, though, I do have an idea for another Spike M/M shipping story, and I think many of you may enjoy the colt that'll be in the story.

Who is this colt you ask? Well, think "____ in the Jungle."

2080236 wait. You aren't talking about R? Omg. That is my uttermost favorite gay spike pairing. I make up stories of them in my head but yours will be the first I have read. They are just too fucking cute together. Can't wait to see you do the pairing justice. If I like it I might write one myself. I love you so much now for that.

Thanks for that ending dude. I am going to go stab myself now....:fluttershyouch:

2084609 Thanks you.

(Please tell you are working on a squeal or something...:fluttershysad:)

2084983 Hold on, let me check the tarot cards...

Nope! No sequel planned!

2124298 Huh......good point, never thought of it like that before:ajsmug:

That is a fail......HOLY SHIT, TALK ABOUT A FAIL!!!! Damn, juist.....DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!! BUCK, that has got to seriously suck.......damn. I was honetly laughing hearing about Rarity, I laughed so hard I cried, though I'm glad that AJ came out of the closet. The bastard who hurt Lick should really be punished and I wonder what the others will think, if their own Gods can't do anything to save any other creature, do they doubt the Gods? Poor Sweets, I would have killed rarity AGES ago if I were her.

What shall happen to Equestria now that if the Elements of Hamrony, powerful enough to defeat Gods themselves, are no longer together? I wanted so bad to beat the shit out of Rarity the second she walked up to the stage, BUCK HER!

And I think you meant hooves for Trixie, not hands. A few errors and a serious twist....damn, talk about a fail:facehoof:

Poor Spike, I wonder if he knows that taking your own life is never rewarded, read my story, Suicide Letters to learn more:rainbowlaugh: Damn...this was a dark ending, but I really enjoyed it:twilightsmile:

2084609 Awesome knife, I'll take two:pinkiehappy: And Spike and Rumble huh? Hmmmm.....add a dash of Pinkie Dash and TwiShy and you'll have my full attention, also seriously hoping for no clop:pinkiesick: No offense:twilightsmile:

2124552 Hands? Trixie? Where did I mention either of those?

2124678 "even their enslavement at the hands of the corrupt Trixie":ajbemused:

2124943 OOOOOHHH, NOW I remember. Yeah, not changing that. The show itself has used human-themed words like hands, everybody(instead of pony) and walking. I'm not THAT dedicated to keeping ALL the terminology pony-themed.

2125017 Eh, it's a small mistake I think many can ignore. But you're right , how sad is that though? Damn:ajsleepy:

Fffffff... Some other guy beat me to saying Romeo and Juliet last chapter, either way, amazing story, also, this is almost as good as Romeo and Juliet to tell ya the truth, that was a great book, and this is just as good :)

I was liking it at first, then that ending. Shit! What the fuck!? That was just too real for me. I'm sorry, but I I unfavorited this and downvoted. It was just too much.

2763323 I would unfavorite and downvote it, too. Ending was SOOOO bad. I am ashamed to have written this story.

2763578 The story itself wasn't bad, just the ending. It just really got under my skin.

2763588 Yeah, it was bad. Totally off the rails and out of no where.

Well, this is what I get for reading My Little Dashie then this story in a row... Time to read Murky Number Seven and cry more! qq

Very clever making it an open ending. The point of an author is to get a person to think about their story after they finish reading it. The ending could have been worse, Spike could have been tortured and murdered by some random homophobe. I have read so many sad and corrupted stories im starting to turn dark, the ending didn't even breath on my feels.
Image:http://sonjafoust.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/i-dunno-lol.jpg

That was beautiful

Wow speechless in a good way

And lickety split comited suicide to say hi ro spike in the afterlife and they lived a happily ever after

Nah that don't sound right
Lickety split went into depression and tryed to comit suicide, but he cuild never have the courage to do it and so he lived the rest of his life in depression and loss
that sounds right

Shouldn't this have a "tragedy" tag?

For anyone who is not rude mean spirited and an all around a**hole, stop here. It will get bad.

Omg that was great! The story was average, bu when they did that thing where they showed what happened to each character, I played "Raise my hands up and shout" as I danced and laughed. That was a great ending! Thumbs up!
Any commenters upset will probably be ignored.

One week later:
A dark night. A white-coated mare. Still grieving at the loss of a dear friend. She prepares to go to bed when-
*BANG*
The lights go out She can't see anything or anyone. But, by the dim light of the moon, she can see a young stallion with what looked like a brown coat. In a green hood. Drawing a bow and arrow. And then he spoke, in a voice rather obviously not his own:
"Rarity Belle! You have failed this kingdom!"

Comment posted by Magatsu Orpheus deleted Oct 26th, 2014

How could you do this to meeee? You've made a mistaaake, you got nowhere to run as I'm coming for theeee! :pinkiecrazy:

All joking aside, I think you should put a tragedy tag on this story.

4868059
Yes definitely the ending described my feelings for the end.

Login or register to comment