• Published 20th Sep 2012
  • 15,958 Views, 910 Comments

The Winds of Change - CalmNQuiet



Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle must rebuild their bonds in the midst of a changing world.

  • ...
29
 910
 15,958

Chapter 7

The shrill whistle of the Equestrian Transport Express warned the ponies loading cargo of its imminent departure. Applejack grunted and pushed another stacked crate of apples into a shipping container. She cast a weary eye over at Twilight effortlessly levitating entire pallets of produce into another rail car further down the track. Just as she slid the door shut, two sharp whistles sounded a warning: last call for all passengers and cargo.

Applejack wiped a tendril of sweat trickling down her forehead and stepped back from the train. Taking a moment to survey the situation, she glanced at the loading dock. A wave of relief filled her body as she realized what she—no, they—accomplished: the first shipment of apples, harvested and delivered ahead of schedule. She smiled smugly to herself. Fixer could stuff it if he had any complaints.

She instinctively grabbed ahold of her hat as Rainbow Dash sailed in from above and landed next to her.

“All clear on every loading dock, AJ. I did one last flyby just to be sure.” Rainbow grinned and flexed her wings. “What would you do without me? You’d be galloping up and down the length of the train just to keep up with all the activity.”

Twilight trotted up to them, the faintest signs of exertion upon her otherwise calm features. “How did we do, Applejack?”

“Great! Everything’s loaded and ready to go,” Applejack exclaimed.

The unicorn smiled before dropping to her haunches and sighing loudly. “Phew. I was worried for a bit there. If we missed this train, we’d have to wait another week.”

Applejack placed a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder and patted gently. “I can’t thank you gals enough for helpin’ out. I don’t rightly know how you managed to load so many apples so quickly with your magic, Twilight, but it sure saved us a heap of work.”

Twilight looked up and smiled tiredly at Applejack. “Just a little levitation. Nothing special. Rainbow and I were happy to help. Right, Rainbow?”

“Well...” Rainbow glanced away. “I’m not one for farm work—well, any work in particular. But you needed help. I wouldn’t leave you hanging like that.”

Applejack smirked and wrapped a forehoof around Rainbow. “I know how it is with you.” She wrapped her other hoof around Twilight pulling them both into a tight hug. “But let me just thank you two again. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt this good after a delivery and not dizzy with exhaustion to boot.”

Twilight happily returned the hug, burying her muzzle into Rainbow’s mane and savoring the serenity of the moment. In that moment, her fatigue seemed to melt away in the comforting embrace of her friends.

After a minute, Applejack pulled away and smiled warmly. “I reckon this calls for a celebration. It doesn’t have to be fancy or nothing. Just a little something to thank the town for their help so far.” She winked at Rainbow. “Don’t think you’re getting out of work though. There’s still four more shipments after this one.”

Rainbow launched into the air and crossed her arms while looking down at Applejack. “I didn’t expect you to let me off easy! I can work just as hard as you! Just tell me what you want me to do.”

“Wow, Dashie. You’re really pumped up about this,” Twilight remarked with a smirk. “I didn’t think you had it in you.”

“What can I say? If Applejack wants to put me to the test, I’m definitely going to rise to the challenge. So what do you want me to do, Applejack?” Rainbow grinned and leaned down right in Applejack’s face.

“A challenge, eh? You got it. Fly on down to the nature preserve south of here and fetch Big Mac and Fluttershy. He left yesterday to deliver supplies to her. I told him we needed his help with loading the train but he insisted. Somethin’ about Ms. Fluttershy counting on him.”

“And Spike,” Twilight interjected. “I miss the little guy.”

“South? Fly? Easy peasy!” Rainbow flexed her wings, ready to take off.

Applejack grabbed Rainbow’s tail and yanked her back down. “Hold on there! Here’s the challenge: It’s a good half-day journey down there. I want you to get there tonight and be back by tomorrow. Think you can handle it?”

“Tomorrow? Pfft, I’ll have ‘em back by tonight. You’re talking to the fastest pegasus in Equestria here.” Rainbow glanced to the side and noticed the worried look on Twilight’s face. “Twi, what’s wrong? I can handle myself. Flying is what I’m best at.” Rainbow tugged her tail free from Applejack. She trotted over to Twilight and nuzzled her confidently.

Twilight leaned into the nuzzle. “I know. Just be careful, okay?” She loosened the straps of the goggles around her head and nudged them over to Rainbow. “Take these, Dashie. It’s important to have some eye protection.”

Rainbow took a step back and smiled. “Twi, those were a gift for you. I want you to hang onto them.”

Twilight shook her head. “You’ll need them. You can’t go flying out into the desert without some eye protection. Just come back soon with them, alright?” She smiled and leaned in to nuzzle Rainbow in return.

“You got it, Twi. I’ll be back for you before you know it.” She grabbed the googles and strapped them on firmly over her eyes. Taking to the air, she adjusted her wings one last time, waved, and took off southward.

Twilight watched as the multicolored streak disappeared before turning to Applejack. “Would you like my help preparing for our little celebration?”

“Sure! I’d love your help Twilight. Let’s get back to the farmhouse and get started.” Applejack threw a comforting hoof around Twilight’s neck. “And don’t worry about RD. She can take care of herself. Former Wonderbolt, fancy flier, and all.”

* * *

Rainbow glided through the air upon the gentle updrafts from the cooling land below. Keeping the setting sun at her right, she relaxed and enjoyed the chance to really stretch her wings. The weather was extremely cooperative at the moment. A steady wind gusted against her backside and pressed her forward. Spurred on, she flapped her wings hard and surged ahead.

The flight was so easy, she found her mind drifting back to Twilight. The memory of the unicorn nuzzling up against her filled her with a long-forgotten warmth which swelled through her body. Sensing her elation, her wing muscles reacted—before she knew it, she was doing loop-de-loops in the air. It wasn’t until something stung her rear leg did she snap out of her reverie. She looked behind herself and gasped.

A massive dark cloud was moving toward her. She’d never seen one before, but it didn’t take much thinking to figure out what it was.

A dust storm.

Gritting her teeth, she re-aligned herself with the barely glowing horizon to her right and pumped her wings hard. Getting caught in a swirling vortex of sand and grit wouldn’t end well.

Stealing a quick glance behind her, she smiled confidently to herself. She was gaining on the storm. This is easy. No dust storm can catch the Best Young Flyer, Wonderbolt, and all around awesome pony Rainbow Dash! She whistled a cheery tune as she cheered herself on in her mind.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, she was being buffeted on all sides by tremendous gales. She could only guess it was due to the rapid change of temperature at dusk, but that was the last thing on her mind at the moment. Struggling to maintain control of her velocity and altitude, she fought against the storm. Speed did her little good. Each time she tried to push forward through the winds, her wings became unsteady in the turbulent air. Just as the sky seemed to settle, she remembered the dust storm she was escaping from. Moments later, she was engulfed in a dark swarm of sand.

Rainbow reacted immediately and dived. Now was not the time for reckless maneuvers. I need to get out of this grit before I’m torn to shreds. Luckily, the goggles kept the sand out of her eyes. A few tense seconds later, she was on the ground.

Desperately, she searched for shelter from the maelstrom. Finding little more than dirt and rocks, she pressed herself as close as she could against a particular large boulder. Covering her face with her hooves, she breathed carefully, waiting. The storm couldn’t go on forever. Once it was done, she could get her bearings and continue onward.

The sand roiled around her in an endless blizzard of stinging particles. She tucked her wings firmly to her sides to try to limit their exposure to the elements. Her extremities did little to protect her as breathing became more and more difficult. In an act of desperation, she shuffled to her hooves and tucked her head in as low and close to her belly as she could.

A practical use for flexibility training besides showing off in the air, I guess...

Shielding her face with the rest of her body, she settled down with her belly facing the rock formation and her back to the screaming winds. Her wings stung every time a stray bit of sand grinded along them, but this was the best she could do to maintain her uneven breaths. All that remained was to wait out the storm.

And she waited. A lonely pegasus in a sea of sand and dust.

* * *

Twilight stared at her plate of roasted vegetables complete with a hearty slice of apple crumble on the side. She prodded her food listlessly with her hoof and sighed heavily.

“Something wrong, Ms. Twilight?” Braeburn asked politely.

“What? No. I just miss Dashi—Rainbow. She flew off without dinner too.”

Applejack swallowed her food and got up next to Twilight. She gently wrapped the unicorn in a hug. “Sugarcube, don’t worry about RD. She’s probably having supper with Fluttershy and my brother right now.”

Twilight sighed again and rested her head on Applejack’s shoulder. “I know. I just can’t help being worried. I can’t stop thinking about her. I spent so long trying not to think about her. But now she’s back, and I just can’t stop myself anymore.” She groaned and rubbed her head with her forehooves. “This is just so frustrating. I feel like the right-off-the-balloon filly back in Ponyville right now.”

The farmpony smiled and squeezed Twilight. “I think you know exactly what that means. I was happy for you and RD then, and I’m happy for you two now. You just have to admit it to yourself.”

“I think what my sister is trying to say is, you need to be honest!” Applebloom chirped up from across the table. “After all, you’ve been working all day and night for Rainbow!”

Applejack released Twilight and glanced over at Applebloom. “Ahem, thank you Applebloom, you could put it that way. Just something to think about, Twilight. I know you’re mighty good at that.” She affectionately placed a hoof against Twilight’s head and gave it a little rub.

Twilight looked up at the hoof on her head and smiled shyly. “Yeah. I guess I’m supposed to be good at thinking. Thanks, Applejack. I’ll mull it over.”

“Good! Now eat up your supper. You can’t expect to get any cookin’ done without wood in your fire.” Applejack nudged the plate of vegetables closer to Twilight and gave her a pat on the back.

“Heh...thanks, Applejack.” Twilight picked up a fork and started eating. Though her mouth moved, her mind was on the pegasus somewhere south of her.

* * *

“Let me through!”

Rainbow stirred.

“Is she alright? Oh ancestors, it’s Rainbow Dash. It’s been years.”

Rainbow groaned and opened her eyes. She tried to rise to her hooves, but her muscles wouldn’t budge.

“She’s coming around! Quickly, bring water and food. I think she got caught in the storm.”

“Water...” Rainbow croaked out. She heard the familiar slosh of water dropping in front of her muzzle. Gently, the bowl was tipped to her mouth. She drank greedily, sucking in long gulps until she drained the bowl.

“Rainbow, are you alright? Can you hear me?” The voice was faint and distant, but oddly familiar.

“Little...Strongheart?” Rainbow gasped out and turned her head painfully slowly. Hovering a few feet above her was a very familiar face.

“You remember me!” the voice exclaimed excitedly. “Though, I’m not so little anymore.” This was followed by an awkward laugh. “Are you hurt anywhere?”

Rainbow struggled to her hooves, wincing through the pain. She flexed her wings, stretched each of her limbs, and finally pulled her pitted goggles up off over her eyes. “I’m all right. A little sore. I think I got pretty lucky. I somehow managed to sleep through a sandstorm.” Her gaze panned out across the numerous buffalo standing before her. “Thanks, guys. It might have been even too much of a challenge for me to recover from a sandstorm without any water.” She raised her hoof to Little Strongheart.

Little Strongheart smiled and bumped her hoof against Rainbow’s. “It’s good to see you again, Rainbow. What are you doing out here in the middle of the desert?”

“I was just flying over to the nature preserve south of Appleloosa to get Fluttershy and Big Mac when that dust storm ambushed me.”

The buffalo all exchanged glances as Little Strongheart sighed. “The winds of the land have become wild and unpredictable. Even our traditional grounds are sometimes beset by odd storms.”

Rainbow nodded and dusted herself off with a shake. Unfortunately, a night curled up in the most uncomfortable position possible left her muscles aching. She crumpled to the ground right after.

“Nng...aw, horseapples. I’m on a tight schedule. It’s already light, and I was supposed to be back with Fluttershy and Big Mac by now.”

“If you would like some assistance, we would be happy to lend it,” Little Strongheart proclaimed. “After all, you came to our defense years ago.” A murmur of agreement rippled among the assembled buffalo.

“You guys don’t have to do that for me. I’ll be fine.” Rainbow smiled but it didn’t seem to convince those around her.

“The nature preserve is not far from here,” Little Strongheart insisted. “Plus, Fluttershy makes wonderful tea. I think we’re all eager to have some once more. And, if speed is your concern., perhaps you would like to see just how fast we stampede.” More nods of agreement.

Rainbow stretched her wings but winced again. She sighed and patted Little Strongheart on the side. “Alright, you win. Let’s go before it gets any later.”

The buffalo cheered and turned to the south. A thunderous roar of hooves upon the ground echoed through the air as the herd began to move.

Rainbow felt herself nudged upon Little Strongheart’s back. Holding on tight, she awkwardly whispered a word of thanks. She was in no state to run at the moment. “How did you guys find me, anyways?” she hollered above the stampede’s rumble.

“It’s not often we spot a rainbow-colored object in the endless brown out here. You’re lucky you weren’t a different color. We might never have found you. Now hold on!”

* * *

The Minister of Development shifted uncomfortably in his chair while stacking and unstacking the numerous documents laid before him on the table. The high vaulted ceilings sported large iron chandeliers which blazed with a dozen candles each. The doors were locked tight and the curtains shut to keep out the sun.

He looked across the table and up at the five ponies sitting in a row before him. They possessed no names which he knew. Instead, they possessed placards formed from gold and set into the stone. Each placard designated each director pony’s area of expertise and subsequent interest in Equestria.

Swallowing dryly, he smiled up at to the panel. “Gentleponies. I am here to answer your questions for the past quarter and address any concerns you may have.”

The hushed conversation stopped between the five ponies. After a brief pause, the central pony spoke up. “Minister. Tell me, why do my sources suggest Equestria is falling behind on its demand for fuel?”

Maintaining his forced smile, the Minister searched through his papers and slid one across the table toward the panel. “I assure you, the Ministry is doing everything it can to increase the rate of our acquisition of energy-related resources for Equestria. Almost all easily accessible deposits have been tapped or are in the process of being claimed. We are exploring a few other sources which are less convenient.”

The document levitated through the air and was passed between the five ponies. The pony on the far right spoke next. “If I recall, the resources to construct an oil refinery were requested several years ago. The materials have been on standby ever since. This oil refinery has not come to fruition nor is it listed on your document under open projects. Where is it?”

“Ah. Well. You see, there has been some difficulty in convincing the local residents on the benefits of a refinery. I don’t particularly wish to force—”

“Force?” The central pony interrupted the Minister and followed it with a chuckle. “We aren’t forcing any ponies. We’re enriching their lives. The projects we undertake provide them with a better way of life. In fact, I think it’s your fondness for the locals’ product which influences the delays.”

The panel snickered amongst themselves as the central pony continued. “In fact, all we have seen are environmental surveys, mitigation studies, alternative process reports, and the like from you. Simply offer them the land buyout by the order of the Ministry under the powers granted by the Princess and guarantee them with employment. They’ll all be better off.”

The Minister wiped the sweat from his brow. It was getting awfully warm in the room. “I’ve done that. However, they were insistent on maintaining their orchard. They have a long-standing treaty with the buffalo tribe in the area.”

The pony snorted. “The buffalo?” A short awkward pause followed. “The buffalo are hardly citizens of Equestria! It is by the grace of the Princess do we tolerate their trespassing on our lands.” He leaned forward and looked down upon the minister. “Why should we care about the well-being of the buffalo and their so-called treaty?” His eyes narrowed. “As far as I’m concerned—no—we are concerned, this agreement is as valid as contract scribbled upon a napkin at a salt bar.” He settled back into his seat. “Do I make myself clear?”

The Minister swallowed and nodded. “But surely...” He carefully tip-hoofed around his words. “Surely you don’t want to besmirch the goodwill of our Princess? Imagine their discontent. Not only do we void their spoken agreement with the Appleloosians, but we will encroach upon their traditional lands.”

The pony on the far left cleared his throat. “Minister. Are you suggesting there is danger in following through with the construction of this refinery?”

The Minister nodded slowly. “Yes. It is imperative a general consensus is agreed upon by all parties involved to avoid unnecessary confrontation. It does not benefit Equestria at all otherwise.”

Smiling deviously, the far left pony leaned back and crossed his hooves. “And I believe you are mistaken. Ponies may always defend themselves as Appleloosa did in the past. Should the buffalo pose a problem, I’m sure I could resolve the situation.”

“I believe that addresses all of your concerns, Minister.” The central pony pointed a hoof at the Minister. “Now, will you take action? Or shall we formally file an injunction against you on the charge of having personal bias?”

The Minister sighed and lowered his head. “That won’t be necessary. I’ve already taken action.”

“Oh? Why didn’t you say so?” The pony on the right lowered his drink. “And what action would that be?”

“I’ve assigned our most efficient agent to resolve the situation.” The smile was long gone from the Minister’s face.

“Agent Fixer, was it? Excellent pony, excellent results. I believe he spearheaded the resolution of the Ponyville situation years back?”

The Minister nodded.

“Well, we are impressed. Your foresight as Minister is to be applauded. For a moment we thought you had failed us—no, Equestria.” The central pony smiled. “Did you deploy him with one of our SoniCrafts?”

The Minister nodded again.

“Excellent. I believe there are a few more items to address. However, I will let my colleagues handle it.” The central pony stood up and exited the room.

Back on his personal SoniCraft, he settled into his suite and locked the door. Sliding open the ship-to-ship communique system, he quickly located Fixer’s ship and sent a short message.

Resolve Appleloosa. Remove Resistance. Congratulations, incoming Minister of Development.

* * *

Fixer glanced up from the weekly documents he was reviewing, distracted by a steady beep. Getting to his hooves, he trotted over and picked up the document generated by the machine and swallowed. He read it again--slowly and more carefully.

Minister? Me? Yes...some recognition finally. Equestria can finally be directed the right way. As Minister, I could bypass all the annoying sentiment that slows progress.

He set the paper on his desk and inspected the signature generated by the machine one last time. It was definitely from the head of the Panel, the most influential of the Five. This changed everything. Appleloosa was doing well, but it didn’t matter anymore. Appleloosa would just have to take a fall for the betterment of Equestria.

He weighed his options. He could handle most of the ponies in Appleloosa with sufficient technical language and the threat of the Princess. However, Twilight always spoke up in the past. He needed a way to cleanly resolve this. He tapped a quick message in return.

Thank you. It will be done. Twilight Sparkle is here.

He confirmed the message and sent it. A moment later a response came.

Give her your ship. She is needed in Canterlot. I will take care of it.

His mind spinning, he stepped away from the machine and out of his stateroom. Locking the door he departed his airship and signaled Delta Squad to follow. He had a unicorn to deliver.

* * *

Fluttershy could feel the familiar rumbling in the floor. It meant she was about to have visitors.

She slipped outside quietly and trotted along the cobblestone path to the break in the rocks north of her cottage. Within the protective barrier of the high stone formation, her home was shielded from all manner of foul weather. Combined with a lucky spring of groundwater situated nearby, she couldn’t have asked for a quieter or peaceful dwelling location.

Raising a forehoof, she waved at the incoming buffalo as they gathered around the entrance to her home. “Hi, everyone. I wasn’t expecting to see you all so soon. What happened to going to Appleloosa for your yearly share of the fruit?”

Little Strongheart stepped forward and winked at Fluttershy. “We were delayed. Apparently she was on her way to see you.” She moved to one side and revealed Rainbow Dash hidden behind her.

Rainbow looked away. Watching the buffalo run was amazing, and she wasn’t thinking about finally meeting up with Fluttershy. But now, face to face with her longtime friend, she realized how much time passed. Her ears splayed back as she heard the slowly approaching steps. When they stopped, she looked up and found Fluttershy standing just a couple feet away.

“Hey...Fluttershy. How’s it going?” she squeaked out. The question seemed so tripe given the situation. She couldn’t help feeling so...lame.

“Rainbow Dash.” Fluttershy said it slowly, as if her tongue had to familiarize itself with the words again. “Five years. No visits. No letters. What were you thinking?” Fluttershy narrowed her eyes and stared at Rainbow.

Rainbow flinched slightly and swallowed dryly. Looking down, she rubbed her forehoof over the other. “I’m sorry, Fluttershy. I should have—”

Before Rainbow could finish, Fluttershy wrapped her forehooves around Rainbow’s neck and pulled her into a hug. “Oh, Rainbow, I forgive you! I’m so happy to see you. I don’t even care why you didn’t write or you didn’t visit.”

“Just like that?” Rainbow gasped for air in the middle of Fluttershy’s forceful hug. However, even trapped within the vice-like grip, she managed to wrap her forehooves around Fluttershy’s back and hug her back briefly.

Fluttershy nodded and released Rainbow. She wiped some lingering tears from the edge of her eyes and smiled brightly. “How about some tea? We have a lot to catch up on.”

Rainbow shook her head. “There’s no time! AJ sent me here to get you and Big Mac. We’re having a celebration because we got the apples harvested early. We need to go now!”

“Oh my...” Fluttershy whispered. “Let me just get Spike. I think he’s still snoozing.”

* * *

Big Mac waved to Braeburn as he passed him on the path back to the Apple homestead.

Braeburn gave him a funny look. “Where’s the others?”

Big Macintosh shook his head and continued on. As he reached the farmhouse he was surprised to see Twilight standing on the porch with a book resting in front of her. She was dozing. Not wanting to disturb the unicorn, he unhitched his cart quietly and snuck into the farmhouse.

“Big Mac? Is that you?” Applejack called from the kitchen.

“E-yup,” Big Macintosh responded.

“Tell the girls to make themselves at home. I’ll bring out some cider for our little get-together.”

“What girls?”

Applejack poked her head out from the kitchen and stared at her brother. “What in tarnation, Big Mac? Where’s Rainbow and Fluttershy? I sent that pegasus to get you yesterday!”

Big Mac simply shook his head.

“Rainbow’s back?” Twilight walked into the room groggily, still rubbing the sleep from her eyes. “I heard someone say her name.”

“I’m afraid not, sugarcube. They didn’t come back with Big Mac. What happened?” Applejack dusted some flour off herself and stared at her brother.

“I didn’t see Rainbow yesterday. I left this morning,” Big Mac responded plainly.

“What?” Panic started to spread through Twilight. “Oh no. No. No. No. This can’t be happening. I have to go out there and find her!”

“Woah there. Calm down, sugarcube.” Applejack ran over to Twilight and pulled the quivering unicorn into a hug. “RD is fine. I know it. She can handle herself. Plus, you can’t just go running out into the desert without a plan. We need to put together a proper search party.”

“B-but, Dashie’s out there! She could be hurt! Why would you send her to fly out into the desert by herself?” Twilight’s hooves nervously rapped on the wooden floor, unable to stand still.

“Because I know RD’s a great flyer. If my brother can handle himself, RD definitely can. Just trust her, all right? She’s fine. I promise.” Applejack smiled and squeezed Twilight tightly in an embrace.

Twilight sniffled and nodded slowly. “Alright, Applejack. I believe you. But if she doesn’t come back by tomorrow, I’m going to go look for her. No matter what.”

“And I’ll come with you. Heck, the whole town will. But it won’t come to that, Twilight. I promise.” Applejack released Twilight and wiped the tears from the unicorn’s eyes. “Come on, now. Let’s get some pie in you. That always cheers me right up.”

“Applejack!” Braeburn rushed into the farmhouse panting and sweating. “You have to come quickly!”

Applejack trotted over to Braeburn and placed both her forehooves on Braeburn’s shoulder. “Woah. Slow down there, Braeburn. What’s wrong?”

“Fire!” Braeburn gasped out. “It’s Bloomberg!”

“What! How could there be a fire on such a clear day?” Applejack dashed out of the farmhouse with a speed Twilight did not expect. The rest of them quickly followed suit. They galloped together down the path to the plateau overlooking the orchard. Sure enough, a thin tendril of brackish smoke extended from a tree on the highest hill in the orchard.

“We’re never gonna make it in time,” Applejack whimpered.

“Hang on!” Twilight yelled and closed her eyes focusing on the tree in the distance. A bright purple flash, a popping sound, and suddenly Twilight and her friends were standing on the hill.

The flames licked at the bark on Bloomberg, slowly eating through the protective layer safeguarding the heart of the tree. Between them stood Fixer flanked by Delta squad.

“Fixer! What in tarnation are you doing? Get out of the way so we can put out this fire!” Applejack shouted and charged toward Fixer.

“Stop her,” Fixer causally ordered.

Delta Squad sprung into action and took to the air. Grabbing Applejack by the sides, they lifted her up into the air and set her down roughly back with the group.

“Observe.” Fixer glanced back at the tree. “You’ve lost. All the other orchards in Equestria are done. Now matter how fast you are, you aren’t fast enough. Nor are you productive enough. Nor can you justify blocking the largest deposit of oil in Equestria for the least useful farm in all the land.” He turned around and watched as the flames tendriled their way up into the branches. “I’m just starting the clearing process. In a few days, the real machinery will arrive.”

Twilight growled and took a step forward.

Delta Squad spread their wings expectantly.

“You can’t do this. The Princess would never allow something like this! You’re acting well beyond your jurisdiction and power!”

Twilight concentrated and suddenly a large purple bubble formed around the tree. A sucking noise followed soon after. The fire hissed, fizzled, and died out. The bubble disappeared and Twilight grinned triumphantly. “No oxygen. No fire.”

Fixer blinked and shrugged. “Very well. This tree will be cut with the others in due time.” He turned around and leveled his gaze at Twilight. “And, in fact, I do have authorization from the Princess. You are addressing the incoming Minister of Development.” He smirked slightly at the surprised looks from his statement.

“You’re lying!” Twilight screamed. “You, you’re the worst possible pony! There’s no way the Princess would ever agree to make you Minister. You don’t care about Equestria at all.”

“Come now, Twilight. Let’s not be irrational. Ministers come and go. It only makes sense the best agent in the Ministry would be promoted. In fact, you can ask the Princess yourself if you like.” He reached into his suit pocket and flung the letter he had made out to Twilight.

Twilight grabbed it with her magic and opened it up. Her eyes scanned over it quickly and she fell to her haunches. She read it again slowly one more time.

“No... this can’t be,” she whispered quietly.

“What is it, Twilight?” Braeburn asked, trying to peek at the letter’s contents.

“I’m...I’m being summoned to Canterlot. It’s official. Seal, magical profile, everything. It says immediately, without delay.” Twilight scrunched up the letter with her magic. Tears started to form at her eyes as she looked down. “Celestia. Why?”

“Ms. Sparkle. You’re hereby requested to take my ship so you can reach Canterlot with utmost speed. Per your orders of course.” Fixer smiled. “As for the rest of you, you are all under house arrest as of now until the contract signing. I hope you enjoy your jobs in the new oil refinery.”

He walked by the stunned group. “Delta Squad, handle it. Twilight if you please, I’ll show you to your ship. You don’t want to keep the Princess waiting.”

Author's Note:

I’d like to start by thanking everyone for their continued support on this story. A special thanks goes to my beloved and unnamed editor. I hope the pacing of this chapter was not too rapid. A great deal of material needed to be covered and I’m rapidly connecting the dots which were set in previous chapters together now. As always, if you have any thoughts or suggestions, please share them in the comments below. I’ll do my utmost to answer them all. Finally, thank you all for reading!