• Published 18th Oct 2011
  • 7,779 Views, 73 Comments

Metanoia - littlerobotbird



When Twilight begins to lose control over her magic, our six heroes hunt for answers.

  • ...
1
 73
 7,779

08 [Arc 01 - Perturbation, Part Four] <rev. 08.16.2014>

“Pinkie, what're you doing?” Fluttershy demanded, voice strained as she waited for the world to stop spinning.

After a haphazard tour of what had seemingly been every backstreet, alley and byway in all of Ponyville, Pinkie Pie halted suddenly in front of Sugarcube Corner, Fluttershy rolling off her and onto the ground with a soft thump.

She lay there for a few moments, watching Pinkie vibrate with a nervous energy, eyes darting around. Fluttershy could hardly recall the last time she had seen her friend in such a state, the earth pony's usually unruly curls seeming all the more chaotic as strands poked out at every angle.

“Oh, please,” Pinkie begged under her breath.

“Pinkie, w-what're we doing here?” Fluttershy slowly rolled onto her hooves, legs trembling as she stood.

“Shhh!” Pinkie hushed, hoof to the pegasus's mouth as she glanced about. “It might hear you…”

Fluttershy looked around.

The streets had been all but abandoned during their marathon gallop from the library. Even now there was nopony to be seen, much less feared. Slowly the pink hoof left Fluttershy’s lips, but Pinkie continued to scan the street.

With a satisfied hum, Pinkie beckoned the pegasus to follow her into Sugarcube Corner. Eyebrow fully cocked, Fluttershy did as she was bid, following her into the darkened confectionery.

The front was clean but empty, looking abandoned despite the stocks of cakes and other treats out on display. The lack of anypony sent a chill through Fluttershy’s wings. Usually the store would be filled with ponies picking up desserts or putting in orders. The Cakes seemed to be missing as well, the kitchen silent and dark as Pinkie led her through the storefront and into the dining area of the shop. Pinkie held up a hoof as she halted. After looking out the side windows, she darted into the kitchen and back before once again motioning for Fluttershy to follow. Slowly, they made their way up the stairs to Pinkie's flat. Once again, they halted while the pink pony darted over to a pink door with a heart-shaped window in it, peering intently through the oversized peephole.

It was mostly dark with only the soft light of the overcast day casting shades of gray over the normally bright and colorful room. It looked as though Pinkie had set up a party, but as Fluttershy stared at the pink pony, she knew it wasn't so. Nervously, Pinkie dashed all over the room, inspecting every corner and crease of it before she hopped onto her bed, bidding Fluttershy to do the same.

“Pink—” Fluttershy immediately had a hoof lodged in her face as the pink pony glanced up worriedly at the ceiling and the balcony that ran around the outer wall of the room.

“I… I think it's gone…” she visibly cringed a moment at her words before relaxing, dropping her hoof.

“What's gone?”

“I can't say.”

“You can't say?”

“Exactly. If I say it, it'll know.”

“Why did you bring me here?”

“Because I'm scared, Fluttershy,” she whispered, looking down at her hooves as if she expected them to fall off at any moment. “I'm scared. I know I shouldn't be, but I really, really am…”

“Well it is a little dark, but you could turn on th—”

The hoof again found her mouth, but gentler and without the panic. Pinkie simply shook her head before dropping the hoof to the bed.

“Fluttershy... I want you to remember. I want you to remember me. I want you to remember all of us before everything is gone,” Pinkie pleaded, prostrating herself before the pegasus, hooves pressed together as she gazed up with watery eyes.

“Pinkie… I don't understand. We're not going anywhere,” Fluttershy ran a hoof through the earth pony's mane, her thoughts returning to Twilight. It was too much to ignore.

Something isn't right…

“That's okay. Just…” Pinkie shivered as she sat up again, her unruly hair sagging as she looked into Fluttershy's eyes. “Do you remember the first time you were here?”

“Of course. When I came to Ponyville for the first time.”

“And I was so super excited”—she punctuated the sentence with a happy bounce—“I was all ready to throw you the biggest, bestest bash ever!”

“But you didn't,” the pegasus replied with a soft smile.

“No. You didn't seem up for a big ol', humongoginormously awesome Pinkie Pie party so we had a small one.”

“Yes. It was nice.”

[o-0-o]

It had been the first time she’d ever set hoof or hair in any city other than Cloudsdale.

Needless to say, she was nervous, but she was a full-grown mare and determined to prove it. If not to others, than to her self at least.

“Come now, Fluttershy, there is nothing to be frightened of. I'm sure they're all very nice ponies,” she reminded herself as the pegasus taxi took off into the air. As soon as her hooves had hit earth, she’d felt a shudder of excitement and fear course through her. It seemed that she’d arrived during the busiest time of the day.

The Ponyville market bustled with activity, the young pegasus mare glancing about the masses of ponies flowing through the market square. Instinctively, she cowered within the swirling mass before shaking herself of the fears that danced in her head.

"You are a mare now, Fluttershy."

She took a deep breath and stood tall, looking for somepony that might be of help.

“Um… excuse me…”

The passing colt ignored her or simply didn't hear her over the crowd noise before vanishing into the swirling throng.

“Ma'am.”

The purple earth pony went on scolding her child, the foal tugging disobediently at his mother's tail, begging for a some elusive treat or toy.

“And now we're going straight home, are you happy?” The now sulking colt winced at his mother’s disappointed glare as she pulled him away and into a wall of pulsing bodies.

“Um… sir?”

The trotting stallion simply barreled on by, pulling along his cart as he spared nopony a second glance, a path seeming to magically open before him.

Ears folded back and head stooped low, Fluttershy began to pick her way carefully through the crowded market, seeking a peace that surely resided beyond them. She felt the beginning of a tremble as she drew closer to the edge of the market, pressed in on all sides by scores and scores of ponies until she was swept up in a mass of departing market-goers.

Oh, dear…

Her throat constricted and her breathing became shallow as she found herself half-submerged in, half-dragged by the mass, even with the bustling market fading behind them. As she glanced over her shoulder, seeking some avenue of escape, she found her vision suddenly obscured by a mass of fluffy, magenta hair as she crashed into somepony.

“Whoa,” somepony cried out in a high-pitched voice as Fluttershy stumbled and collapsed in that fog of hair, somepony struggling beneath her.

“Oh my goodness… I'm so somwry—” Fluttershy tried to apologize, but accidentally chewed on a tuft of the magenta cloud that smelled of…

Cotton candy? No… cupcakes? Cotton-candy cupcakes?

“Well, that's a silly way to greet somepony,” the other pony snorted as Fluttershy continued to extricate herself from the deliciously-scented fluff. "You know you're supposed to say ‘hi' to ponies from the front, right?" The pony giggled.

“I'm sorry. I-it was an accident. I-I wasn't watching where I was going an-an-and oh my goodness, I'm so, so sorry,” Fluttershy begged as she finally disentangled herself enough to find a pair of jovial blue eyes staring back. Soon Fluttershy and the smiling earth pony were largely alone in the middle of the street, the crowd keeping on their way.

“Oh, you're new aren't you? No wonder I've never had a greeting like that,” the pink earth pony spoke excitedly as she got to her hooves, helping Fluttershy back to hers as well. “Don't you end up scraping your knees a lot though? Seems like that'd hurt if you did it every single time. Although, you're a pegasus… so maybe you guys do it in the air. That'd fix the knee-scraping.”

“I'm sor—”

"But doesn't that scare you? Having everypony sneaking up on you just to say ‘hello’?"

"Well… we don—"

She gasped as realization dawned upon her. “It's like a prank! Ooh, a prank every time you meet somepony new! That’s awesome!" She beamed, giving Fluttershy a playful nudge. "You got me good."

"I didn't mean to—"

“Oh, wait, but you're new!” Fluttershy's apology was cut off once again as the pink pony bounced up and down in excitement. "That means I have to throw you a party! It'll be so much fun and Pinkamena Diane Pie knows fun! What do you say?”

"Oh… um, I don't know…" Fluttershy mumbled reflexively, brain still struggling to follow the stream of words. She had shrunk down as much as she could before the seemingly boundless energy of the pink pony. "I'm not really much of a party kind of pony…"

"Everypony likes parties! I should know. I'm Ponyville's official party pony!" she continued, seemingly unaware of Fluttershy's protests.

"Official party pony?" The question set off a temporary, blessed silence as the pink pony put a hoof to her chin thoughtfully.

"Well… maybe not official official—the mayor still needs to read over my proposal and send it to the city council and maybe call a referendum—but I'm definitely the party pony for the job if said job even exists, which it totally should!" She puffed out of her chest, beaming at the pegasus with more teeth than any equine perhaps ought to be able to.

“Oh… um…” Fluttershy stumbled over her words, her momentary hesitation drawing the pink pony to a halt. “Well, I don't really know you and—”

“Oh, that's easy,” she interrupted with a snort, thrusting a hoof towards Fluttershy. “I'm Pinkamena Diane Pie Pie, but everypony calls me Pinkie Pie. Pleased t’meet'cha.”

“Oh…” Her voice dropped as she realized the protest's apparent flaw.

She stared out from behind her long mane at the pony with a mix confusion and an odd sort of fear. She wondered idly if Pinkie Pie was always like this. And, moreover, if anypony could possibly be like this.

"So, what's your name? If we’re not gonna be strangers, I need to know your name too. Otherwise this is like… one-way strangers and that’s just silly."

"It's, um… Fluttershy," she whispered defeatedly, taking up the pink hoof in her own.

“Y'know should really talk louder, otherwise nopony will be able to understand you, Umfluttershy.” The pink pony gave an involuntary snort. “Oh, sorry, sorry! It's a very nice name. Never heard of anypony with a name like that. Well, except for Mr. Geddonwisitt, but he was kind of a grumpy, meanie pants. I mean, I said I was sorry about the wall… and the door… and the stairs. You seem nice though, Umfluttershy.”

“It's, uh, just Fluttershy. Sorry if I'm talking too quiet. I'll try and talk louder,” the pegasus said meekly as she was pulled to the side of the street, a cart rumbling by a second later.

“Oh! Fluttershy, sorry! I don't always listen so well. The Cakes say all the words go in one ear and out the other.” Fluttershy idly wondered if the self-proclaimed party pony fancied the title of dessert-whisperer as well as said pony nudged her along the sidewalk. “Actually, a lot of ponies say that. That I talk too much and I don't realize it, but I don't think I talk too much, do you?”

“Well, no offense, but maybe just a little?”

The pink pony's face fell, the pegasus immediately casting her eyes downward at the sight.

“Sorry…”

“Well. Maybe they're right. They'd be the ones to know… especially the Cakes. Oh, but no time for apologies! We've got to get a party set up for you so all of Ponyville can get to know you."

“A-all of Ponyville?” Panic seeped into Fluttershy's voice, the mere thought of it sending a shiver through her.

"Well, what better way to introduce you, and have lots and lots of fun than a party? And as the unofficially official Ponyville greeter and party pony it is my solemn duty to make sure you are well-greeted and having a blast!” Pinkie declared, puffing out her chest once more as she halted them to turn and smile at the pegasus.“Well, nopony's said anything so far, so maybe it isn't my solemn duty. But, that'd be so exciting, wouldn't it? It'd be like the bestest job ever! Ooo! Except for official cupcake tester! Wouldn't that be a great job?”

"Yes?"

"Oh, this is going to be so much fun! We'll have games and cake and candy and piñatas.” She counted off the needs on all four hooves, teetering on her back a moment before looking up at Fluttershy. “Gotta have piñatas. They're like a game and candy all in one!” She popped back up onto all fours. “Oh, oh and lots and lots of ponies for you to meet and talk and have fun and be the best of friends with!"

Fluttershy's eyes went wide at the mention of crowds of ponies to meet, her stomach twisting into knots. “Oh, well, I don't know if I'd want to go to a such a big party. I don't really like crowds all that much,” Fluttershy admitted quietly, already soft voice growing quieter and higher in pitch as she folded to the ground.

Pinkie Pie, however, fell oddly silent for a moment as she gave the pegasus a sidelong stare. “But… everypony likes a party,” she stated softly.

Fluttershy shifted uncomfortably before self-proclaimed party pony as the pink pony's eyes trembled. “It’s not that I don’t enjoy parties… It's just that… um…”

"Oh…?" Her previously bubbly persona seemed to have been subsumed by a dark cloud. Even her poofy mane seemed to sag as her eyes watered.

"I just don't like big parties. I… I get nervous in crowds. Ponies always tell me I’m a little too… shy…" Fluttershy admitted with a deep blush.

Pinkie remained oddly quiet a moment more, eyes narrowing. Then her eyes cleared up slowly as she reached a hoof to pat the pegasus on the head.

“Aw… nopony's sad at a party. Parties are for happy times. Nopony's sad when they're partying,” Pinkie declared confidently even as the pegasus cringed. “Buuuuut, maybe we'll just have a small party?”

“I should really be getting…” Fluttershy trailed off as she looked up into the Pinkie's eyes, a bright smile having returned to her face. “Okay. Just a small one…”

“Yay!” Pinkie cheered. “Oh, you haven't been to Sugarcube Corner yet, have you?”

“No I—”

“Oh, right. New to town, huh? Of course you haven't been there. Duh,” Pinkie continued, slapping her forehead with a hoof before yanking Fluttershy to her hooves and dragging her off through the streets of Ponyville. “We should totally go to Sugarcube Corner. It's the bestest place in town. Everypony should visit! Oh-oh! We can have the party there, too!”

“Um… yay?”

[o-0-o]

“Oh, Pinkie!” a somewhat portly, blue earth pony mare exclaimed as Pinkie skid through the swinging door of the rather thematic Sugarcube Corner, a flour-coated, rose-colored mane bobbing as she poked her head over the counter.“You should really slow down a little, dear. You're likely to run somepony over going so fast.”

“Sorry, Mrs. Cake. I'm just really excited!”

“Well, I can see that,” Mrs. Cake replied, noting the bouncing pink pony's obvious enthusiasm before glancing over the excitable pony to see a huffing, puffing yellow pegasus sprawled behind her. “Oh, who's your friend?”

“This is Fluttershy. She's new,” Pinkie stated, grabbing up the pegasus into a bone-crunching hug as she beamed at the matronly confectioner. “We're going to have a 'Welcome to Ponyville Party.'”

“H-hi,” Fluttershy gasped out, still at a loss for oxygen after having been pulled and then dragged through what must have been half of the town. As the rest of her breath was being squeezed from her, her eyes spun in their sockets. Everything had blurred into a series of muddied images and shouts from her excitable firecracker of a tour guide.

“Would you like a glass of water, dear?” Mrs. Cake asked, cocking her head to the side as she motioned for Pinkie to settle down.

With a quick apology, Fluttershy was released, allowing the pegasus to stand somewhat uneasily. She sucked in as much air as she could as Pinkie continued to rattle with barely restrained energy.

“Th-that would be lovely,” she whispered, legs shaking from the strain. She’d run more in the last hour than she ever had in her life. She thought for a moment she might collapse or that her sore hooves might disintegrate.

“Pinkie, dear, why don't you go upstairs and straighten things up while I get your friend here something to drink.”

“Ooh, great idea!” Pinkie exclaimed before disappearing into the kitchen in a blur of pink, a cry of panic issuing from the kitchen. “Sorry, Mr. Cake!”

Fluttershy watched the pink earth pony slip into the side of the storefront and zoom up the stairs.

“Carrot, dear, are you alright?”

“I'm fine, honeybuns… just startled is all.” A tall, earth pony stallion poked his head out of the kitchen. “Pinkie seems excited today. Oh, who's this?” he asked, peering at Fluttershy with a warm grin.

“This is Fluttershy. She's new in town,” Mrs. Cake answered as she pushed up the counter flap, motioning for her to follow.

With a thankful smile, Fluttershy complied, walking unsteadily into the back, legs feeling as though they were made of marshmallows… overdone marshmallows.

“Carrot, would you mind watching the front a moment?”

“Of course, Cup. Oh, but keep an eye on the layer cake, they shouldn't be more than a few minutes more,” Mr. Cake replied, exchanging his dirtied baking smock for a cleaner apron as he stepped up to the register.

Fluttershy moved on into the kitchen, following Mrs. Cake.

The kitchen was quite large, far larger than any kitchen Fluttershy had been in before. An enormous oven took up nearly an entire wall by itself while the rest had long runs of counter top. A refrigerator sat to one side with a sink in the middle and a smaller more conventional oven opposite them. An outline in the floor hinted at a basement pantry below.

It was relatively clean too. Only a corner of the countertops showed any sign of use, but the smell of freshly baked goodies was overpowering. Fluttershy found herself in awe, wishing she had brought a cookbook or two along with her from Cloudsdale.

“Are you okay, dear?” The worried voice snapped Fluttershy out of her reverie as she found herself sitting at a small table tucked away in a corner of the room, a glass of water sitting in front of her.

“Oh, sorry. Your kitchen is just so… you have a very nice kitchen.” Fluttershy kept her focus on the glass of water.

“Oh, do you enjoy cooking?”

“Oh, very much yes. I mean, I'm not anything special, but I enjoy it all the same,” the pegasus said, her excitement tempered by a fierce blush.

“Well, if you'd ever like to try anything, I'm sure I could offer you the run of the kitchen sometime. With supervision of course.”

“Oh, that'd be simply wonderful,” Fluttershy exclaimed excitedly, wings giving an excited flap, her blush somehow deepening as she smiled up at the earth pony across from her.

“I do apologize for Pinkie Pie. She can get a little bit… well, let's just say, she can be a bit overzealous,” Mrs. Cake said with a gentle smile as Fluttershy gulped down the water, reveling in the pleasant coolness of it running down her throat.

“Well, she seems nice.”

“Oh, the poor dear. I know her heart's in the right place, though. She just needs to learn to tone it down. Just a bit.”

“Maybe a little.”

An awkward silence descended over the kitchen as they stared up at the sounds of moving furniture emanating from the second floor among other, less readily identifiable sounds.

She swore for a moment she heard the deep, throaty call of a tuba and the high-pitched screech of some well out-of-tune, stringed instrument.

“So, what brings you to Ponyville, Fluttershy?”

“Oh, I'm here to meet somepony. Family actually.”

“Oh… are you feeling quite alright?”

“Oh, never better,” Fluttershy replied a little too quickly as she plastered on the biggest smile she could manage.

“Well, let me tell you one thing,” Mrs. Cake said, leaning close as if to disclose a deep, dark secret. “If anypony can cheer a pony up, Pinkie Pie can. If you’ll let her,” Mrs. Cake whispered before standing up from the table. “And I think both of you could use a friend right now.”

Before Fluttershy could think of a response, Pinkie came bouncing down the stairs, smiling ear to ear as she came to stop, her frizzy mane filled with bits of streamer and confetti.

“C'mon, Fluttershy! It's time to par-tay!” Pinkie decreed, grabbing Fluttershy by the hooves and springing up the stairs as Mrs. Cake looked on with a smile.

“You two have fun now.”

[o-0-o]

“And you had a lot of fun, too,” Pinkie whispered with a smile, some of her usual joviality having returned as they reminisced. “We played pin the tail on the pony, hoofs and horseshoes, truth or dare, danced 'til our hoovesies hurt, had a pillow fight, snacks, cake, punch, cupcakes”—the pink pony took a gasp of air—“and a piñata! It was great.” She slumped down with a soft, contented sigh.

“Your parties are always the best.”

“Even the small ones.”

“You did a wonderful thing for me too. I certainly wasn't looking for a party when I first got to Ponyville. I didn't even think there would ever be a reason to again.”

“Hey…” Pinkie whispered, brushing a tear away from Fluttershy's face. “When you've got Pinkie Pie, everyday is a reason to party. If only because we're all still around.”

Fluttershy chuckled weakly, staring at the pink pony with incredulity. “Since when did you think about things like this?”

“Well, I do have time for things besides parties, pastries and prankings, I'll have you know,” Pinkie stated with look of mock hurt that quickly broke down into a shared bout of giggles. “I know, it really is all about the three P’s. This really isn't my place though, is it? At least, not usually. But I think I might be the only one left to do it if Twilight won’t… or can’t.”

“Pinkie… what's happening?”

“You can feel it too, right?”

“Something's wrong… I know it.”

“I know. I'm scared of it too, but maybe… maybe we can just enjoy this right here. Maybe, if we just stay, we'll be okay,” Pinkie offered as she drew Fluttershy closer. “Remember after the party?”

“Of course. I don't think I could forget it so easily. Could you?”

“No… don't think I could.”

[o-0-o]

It was approaching midnight when Fluttershy awoke to find herself in an unfamiliar bed in an unfamiliar town.

Normally, this would have sent her into a right panic, but there was something about the room, an undeniable, radiant sense of joy, a sense that things would be better. A sense of undeterrable optimism, really. It was part of the reason she’d ended up staying for the night.

It had been dark by the time the two-pony party had wound down. Not so dark that Fluttershy couldn't have gone out to find lodgings of her own or even to track down the cottage that was her ultimate destination in town.

It was dark enough that she was inclined to accept her host's demand. If only for the sadness in the Pinkie’s eyes at the mere mention of leaving.

“Pinkie?” she muttered confusedly as she looked over to see the silhouette of a pony in a window.

“Oh, Fluttershy. You're up?”

“Um… yes, I guess I am,” Fluttershy replied, rolling out from under the comforter and onto the floor, the quiet clip-clop of her hooves echoing in the dark room. “What are you doing awake?”

“Oh… should be asleep, shouldn't I? Have to get up early and help the Cakes open the shop and all.”

“So… why are you awake?” Fluttershy asked as she drew up to the window beside the pink pony, now able to see her in the moonlight.

Her mane seemed to be wavy and long now, her bush of a mane replaced by a much straighter, simpler look. Even the bright pink of her fur seemed somehow washed out in the night.

It felt as though Fluttershy was looking at an entirely different pony than the one she had just danced and played games with so few hours before.

“I just couldn't sleep. Too many thoughts running around my noggin. You know how it is.”

“Would you like to talk about it?” Fluttershy asked, a hoof scraping anxiously against the floor as Pinkie glanced towards her. “I mean, only if you really want to, but it might help.”

“Maybe…” the pink pony whispered sadly. She was unsure, that much was clear from the way her gaze flitted between the moon outside and the floor at her hooves. “Fluttershy?”

“Yes?”

“Can I ask you a question?” Pinkie shuffled her hooves, eyes firmly glued to the bottom of the window now. “Besides that one, I mean.”

“Of course,” Fluttershy replied, stooping down slightly as she tried to get a good look at her face.

“Are we… are we friends, Fluttershy?”

“Well…”

Fluttershy hesitated. After all, she had only just met this pony. And she certainly hadn't come to Ponyville looking for friendship…

Could one even be friends after so short a time?

It seemed so unlikely, but somehow she had an answer. She didn't understand it, but she had it.

“I think we are.”

“Thanks for saying that. Even if you don't really mean it,” the pink pony whispered with a sad smile.

“Pinkie, I think I do mean it. Honestly, I don't really know why or how, but it certainly feels like we're friends, doesn't it?” Fluttershy argued, drawing a confused look as the earth pony finally looked up at her with watery blue eyes.

“Maybe that's what Papa meant,” Pinkie whispered almost inaudibly, wiping her eyes with the back of a hoof before looking up at the pegasus, a little smile slowly growing on her face, “So, how do you like Ponyville so far anyways?”

“Well, I was a little scared at first. There were just so many ponies around. I really am glad that I ran into you,” Fluttershy admitted, returning the smile in earnest. “But, um, if you don't mind me asking, why are you crying?”

“To be completely honest, I'm kind of new to Ponyville too.”

“So, the unofficially official greeter thing…?”

“Well, like I said, nopony's said anything else, so until further notice, right?” Pinkie replied with a giggle, some of the life returning to her. “But yeah… I just kinda made that up on the spot. Didn't mean to fib like that.”

“Well, you were pretty convincing. Especially the party pony part.”

“Oh. Well…” the pink pony began with a laugh, twisting so her cutie mark was plainly visible. She tapped the trio of balloons emblazoned on her hip. “That wasn't a fib, not even a little, itty-bitty one. Pinkamena Diane Pie is one-hundred-and-ten percent all party pony!”

“Oh, I couldn’t argue with that. No pony but a party pony could have thrown such a fun party.” Fluttershy giggled softly, glancing over at her own cutie mark.

“So, what do the butterflies mean?” Pinkie asked, her gaze having followed the pegasus's. “Do you like to catch them?”

“Not really,” Fluttershy muttered, giving the earth pony an incredulous look. “I like animals. I have kind of a special connection with them.”

“Ooh… like a superhero!”

“A what?”

“Y'know, a hero… only more super… -ry… -ish.”

“Oh, I'm not really hero material. I mean, I like to help if I can, but I'm not brave or courageous or anything like that…” she trailed off, blushing furiously at the pink pony's take on her talent.

“Aww, you're just a little shy… Hey! Fluttershy!”

“What?”

“No, I mean, Flutter-shy. I just got it! That name is perfect for you!”

“Um… thank you?”

“You're very, very welcome.” Pinkie sprang forward, her energy returning in force as she grabbed the very surprised Fluttershy in a tight hug.

“P-Pinkie?”

“Yeah?”

“I think you're crushing me,” Fluttershy grunted through gritted teeth, her wings pinching together terribly.

“Oh, sorry!” Pinkie blushed as she immediately relaxed her grasp, letting the pegasus breathe. “I'm just excited.”

“I can tell.” Fluttershy chucked weakly out, sucking in deep breaths.

“Are you excited?” Pinkie asked, a bright smile seeming to light the darkness as Fluttershy regained her breath.

Fluttershy didn't answer for a moment, looking away from the grinning pink pony to peer out into the dark streets of Ponyville. The moon shone brightly, casting a soft blue glow over the town. The Mare in the Moon herself seemed to stare down at them. A shudder coursed through the yellow pegasus as she glanced from the window back to the pink pony beside her.

Her smile hadn't wavered at all.

“I think I am,” she said and gently hugged the pink pony back.

[o-0-o]

Fluttershy held her eyes closed as the memory faded away, well-aware of the hooves clasped about her.

As she opened her eyes slowly, she found herself in Pinkie's room once more. Only different now, if subtly.

It was as though somepony had flipped on the lights.

The room shone as brightly and vibrantly even in the dark. Brighter than she had ever seen it before day or night. It was done up properly for a party, too. A long table took up the center of the room, crowned with a towering behemoth of a cake that seemed like it could likely hold a pony or two within its sugary depths.

On top of each plate was a hat, each covered in a different design. As she looked over them, she spotted one with her own cutie mark emblazoned on it, several pink butterflies. There was one with pink balloons for Pinkie and another with star-bursts for Twilight…

Quietly, the pegasus looked over the remaining three plates in confusion. Curiously, one was covered in apples and another with diamonds, while the final plate was missing its hat.

Maybe…

Maybe Pinkie had been in the middle of setting up the party…

“Pinkie… what's all this about?” Fluttershy whispered as she felt the pink pony squeeze her tighter. “What's wrong?”

“Oh, lots of things, but they don't really matter in the long run,” she replied in a shockingly even tone, grip tightening even as she glanced up at the pegasus with a strange little smile.

“Pinkie?”

“You'll remember, Fluttershy. I know you will. Even if you don’t for a little while. And then we can have this party with all your friends,” she whispered, eyes filled with sorrow in spite of her bright smile.

“Pinkie, I could never forget my friends,” Fluttershy reassured her, but Pinkie simply shook her head, that same odd smile remaining.

“You will, but that's not important,” she replied, burying her head into Fluttershy shoulder. “You'll remember… that's what's important. I know you will…”

“What do you mean? How could I forget you… or Rainbow… or Twilight… or…”

Fluttershy felt a knot lodge firmly in her stomach as she stared at the table. Something was wrong there.

Six plates… six ponies…

She could feel the headache returning as Pinkie relaxed her grip, allowing the pegasus to stand up.

“It's coming now,” Pinkie stated bluntly, drying her eyes with a hoof. “You need to get out of here.”

“What's coming? Why can't you tell me?”

“Oh, Fluttershy,” Pinkie whispered, a hoof to the pegasus's cheek, “Don't worry about it. You've got to go.”

“To go?” Fluttershy echoed as Pinkie roughly shoved her toward the rear balcony. “Pinkie, what are you doing?”

It was night now, all of Ponyville under a thick blanket of darkness as Fluttershy's hooves scraped noisily over the wooden platform. Methodically, Pinkie pushed her to the edge of the platform before stopping. There was a foreign look of coolheaded determination on Pinkie’s usually jovial features, but there was fear in those eyes.

“Flap those wings, Fluttershy… it's time to go,” Pinkie stated simply as she gave Fluttershy a rough shove.

Fluttershy’s wings flared instinctively as her hoof scraped the edge of the platform. “What? Why? Pinkie, tell me what's going on?”

“No can do, Shy-Shy,” Pinkie said with a wry grin before giving the pegasus one last, hard push into the air.

Fluttershy slid off the edge of the balcony, her wings catching her as she hovered just off the platform, confused as a sick feeling settled in the pit of her stomach.

“Pinkie?”

“Don’t worry, Fluttershy. Twilight’ll take good care of you. See you later, okay?”

“Fluttershy!” a new voice shouted out, startling her.

But before she could look for the source she felt something grab her, yanking her away.

Pinkie waved weakly at the pegasus as Sugarcube Corner slowly shrank.

“But Pinki—Twilight?” she gasped out as she looked down to find the unicorn galloping below, her magenta aura surrounding Fluttershy.

“No time to explain, we need to go! Now!” Twilight yelled out as Fluttershy lowered to the ground, hooves breaking into a gallop as they met earth. “Follow me!”

“Where? Why?” Fluttershy stuttered as she galloped beside the unicorn, chancing a quick look back at Sugarcube Corner, “What about Pinkie?”

“It's too late, Fluttershy… She knew—”

A thunderous crack split the silent air. The sky lit up as Fluttershy jammed her hooves into the dirt and spun to look at Sugarcube Corner.

“Pinkie!” she screamed as the top of the confectionery split and collapsed in on itself, the bottom floors alight with flame. “Twilight! We have to go back for her!”

“No!” the unicorn denied her, pulling back on the pegasus with her magic.

“Twilight! We have to!”

“It's too late! We have to keep moving now or it will have all of us!” Twilight grunted with exertion as she dragged Fluttershy away.

But Fluttershy’s hooves dug in hard, her vision filled by flames.

“Let go!” Fluttershy screamed at the unicorn, but Twilight was unmoved, dragging her further and further down the road. “What kind of friend are you?!”

“The kind that's keeping her friend safe!” Twilight roared back, pulling the pegasus from the dirt and pulling her forwards until the two were nose to nose.

“You're letting her die, Twilight!” the pegasus accused, glaring daggers at the unicorn.

Who, Fluttershy?!” Twilight demanded, voice choked. “Tell me who?! Say her name!”

“Pin—”

The pain sliced through her consciousness, sending her to the ground, hooves on her head. She couldn’t breathe, couldn’t think for a moment before the pain faded. She felt the magic around her relinquish its grip, allowing her to look back at the inferno that had been Sugarcube Corner.

With a final shudder, the roof fell completely, the façade, blackened by the merrily dance fire, falling into a heap as the darkness seemed to wrap around it.

“Wh-what's going on?” Fluttershy whispered in terror as the flames began to dissolve, the ruins of the confectionery… her friend… everything disappearing into the dark.

“Everything's going away. We have to go,” Twilight spoke softly, lifting the pegasus to her hooves with a burst of magic. “We have to run, Fluttershy.”

“Where?”

“To where this all started, Fluttershy,” Twilight answered.

Fluttershy stared for a moment as the building was subsumed by the dark.

She turned and they ran.

They ran through the empty streets, the night sky darkening further and one by one the stars were extinguished, the black shadow creeping over the moon before it too drowned in the dark.

They could but gallop.

They galloped as hard and fast as they could, the glow of Twilight's horn lighting the path as the sky vanished.

On they galloped. Until their hooves ached and their legs burned. Until they had left Ponyville far behind.

Through the blackest of nights held back only by the soft glow of unicorn magic.

They galloped for the cottage.

They galloped for the Everfree Forest beyond.

They galloped for the abandoned castle beyond that where this had all begun.

Author's Note:

[revised 08-16-2014]