• Published 4th Aug 2022
  • 382 Views, 32 Comments

Rock Type - TDR



A old pony finds himself in a new body in a new world filled with pokemon.

  • ...
2
 32
 382

Chapter 9

The five of us remaining watched the screen as the first challenger of our group headed into the arena. The pair on the screen were still, likely as they were being announced. There didn't seem to be any sound, but that might be expected if they wanted to hide move types and such, or it just might be that battles could be loud and the receptionist didn't want to hear them.

“That trainer is my brother, Salvador, he’s the first one you will face today.” Yolanda offered.

Garrit tossed out his first pokeball. A Polywag.

I suppressed a shudder at the thought of it. I don’t know why, but water type pokemon unnerved me, not as much as the sight of deep water did, but something about them bothered me. Still it was something I have been able to adjust to as I rather liked mom’s vaporeon, though she freaked me out when I was younger. Perhaps it was a mental strain from the sea ponies. I never really saw any of the deep ones after the events where I helped Nightmare moon kill Aqua, just a few river ponies here and there on our travels, so it might have been something else put into me by that damn fish when she tried to break me.

Salvadore tossed out a geodude.

To be honest I expected this to be an easy win for the polywag.

It wasn’t, well sort of.

The geodude was tanking hits from the polywag using water gun and barely seemed to notice. The geodude however was trying to force the trainer to do more than than just water gun. The geodude was only doing rock throw as a move however, but it dodged, sped itself up or moved around in a pattern as if trying to see what the trainer could do, and it seemed disappointed at the constant attacks with water.

Salvadore said something and made a gesture, though we couldn't hear what on the muted screen.

The geodude rolled it’s eyes clutched it’s chest like it had been shot and rolled over on it’s back as another water gun hit it.

I frowned, the screen remaining on and showing the arena even as Garrit was waved through. The geodude got back up as soon as he was gone dusted itself off and looked in annoyance at Salvadore who said something to it.

I glanced to the others who were with me, their attention was drawn to Yolanda calling Emily to head in. they might have missed that.

I looked back at the screen noting that it didn’t move to follow Garrit but stayed on Salvadore who was standing there staring at the girl who came in.

She called out a oddish.

I watched this fight, piecing together what was going on. I walked over to Yolanda and gestured to the screen .

“Exactly how powerful is that geodude.” I questioned.

“I’m not at liberty to discuss the skill levels of any pokemon you are to face.” Yolanda smirked slightly.

“That’s ridiculous. This isn’t a first match up it’s a gear check, has any one even hurt that geodude at all yet?” I questioned.

Yolanda’s smile widened, with her eyes closed like they were she looked rather sinister.” Well, well. It has been a while since anyone’s caught onto that. Good eye on you. Are you sure you don’t want me to bump you up to league?”

“I stand by my earlier assessment. Maybe if I come back through to make sure you carved Rose’ likeness on your pitch over there, but not now.”

“Oh you are going to be a fun one.” Yolanda considered. “To answer your question… partially, Emerald there should have been a Golem by now, but her former trainer found her in an area with a large amount of ever stone and many rock types take on the properties of the minerals around them due to their diet of said minerals. Emerald is never going to evolve, but she is quite useful as a test for new trainers. If you are not able to show enough skill, base power or resistance, Salvadore will have her take you down. No sense in a weak pokemon or trainer getting to face Forest and getting badly hurt if they cannot handle it, let alone Brock.”

I nodded at that glancing back to the screen as the geodude threw her hands in the air at the constant poison attacks being thrown her way, the goop not even sticking to the rock type. The match continued a bit longer with the same attempts to poison the rock before Salvador puckered his lips like he was whistling and the geodude's grin turned dark. Emerald reared back her arm and surged forward smashing the oddish in the face with a mega punch and sending it bouncing across the field to hit the restraining wall. The girl cried out at the attack and quickly returned her oddish. Her next pokemon was a rattata, this one barely listened to her and Emerald knocked the rat out the same way after a few random attacks. The girl recalled it and the match was over.

"Jer'rahd Kaisur. You're up. " Yolanda called gesturing to the doors, she spoke in a lower voice as he passed. “ Don't disappoint me after all that logic of yours.”

I nodded and pushed open the doors, a plan forming in my head. Tank didn't have many moves, but he was on the verge of learning a grass move. I wanted him to understand that by the time we got to Brock, but i didn't want to tip my hand or reveal all that Rose knew just yet. Tank would need to get me through two trainers before I let Rose out to blindside Brock. No one else seemed to have a fairy in the group I had been part of.

“Challenger Kaisur, step forward onto the pitch.” A mechanical sounding voice called.

I stepped forward my hand going to Tank’s pokeball as I looked across the field to the boy before me. He was a teen, maybe sixteen or seventeen, younger than his sister outside, though the resemblance was clear, same spikey hair and weird squinting eyes that didn’t even look like they were open.

I knew a pony with eyes like that , colt had the best vision in the Guard at the time and was a spotter for artillery despite being an Earth pony rather than a Pegasus.

Completely deaf from being too close to the mage shells going off though.

“Challenger Kaisur are you ready?”

I nodded staring across the field at Salvadore.

“Gym Trainer Salvadore are you ready?” the speaker asked.

“Yup.” He stated popping the P.

“Begin.”

“Tank go!” I shouted tossing out the pokeball.

“Emerald you’re up.” Salvadore called.

I could do this easy, I could show off the moves and save my skills for the next fight with the unknown Forest. But being sneaky was Rhede’s thing. Sure I could do it, but I needed Tank to survive though two trainers and he only had a limited move set to be fair. He was on the cusp of a third move, and maybe he’d have a break through to get whatever grass move he was working on, but for now he had two moves , a defend and an attack. And honestly a lot of what I planned here depending on Emerald holding herself back from just smashing Tank and following the pattern I though I saw in two matches.

“Tank withdraw.”

Tank quickly pulled into his shell, the effect hiding all of him from view save the plant on top of his head the leaves of it quivering in front of his shell.

Emerald frowned at that before doing her usual rock throw. The rocks plinked off Tanks shell not doing anything noticeable.

“Keep at it.” I ordered noticing Salvadore frown a bit.

More rocks plinked off Tank and Emerald growled.

This continued for a few moments and I expected that the geodude was ready to do something more. This was also likely the most boring match any one had seen yet on the screen. Tanks defense was high enough that a simple rock throw wouldn’t hurt him, I only hoped Salvadore was going to follow the same pattern as he did with the girl before me.

“Emerald. Do it.” Salvadore sighed with a whistle as he looked at me. “You need more training.”

I smiled, and Salvadore twitched as he saw my fangs.

Emerald missed the exchanged and like she had done with the Rattata and oddish floated right up and punched Tank.

Just like the oddish the impact sent him flying , but unlike the oddish Tank had a lot of weight to him so instead of flying he skidded across the gravel of the field straight at the wall.

This was a trick I had found out while watching Rose and Tank spar, Tanks withdraw, while not a perfect defense hardened his shell from any physical impact. Rose had gotten frustrated that she couldn't do anything to him and had hit him as hard as she could. Tank had gone flying just like he was now, withdrawn into his shell and skidding across the forest floor, he then hit a tree trunk and bounced back plowing into Rose with three fourths the force of her own punch. The impact had knocked Rose on her butt and Tank hadn't seen any worse for wear.

It was funny at the time , but I realized I could use it, so I built a combo off it. It was only usable in certain situations when you knew the enemy was going to do something.

Like Emerald's mega punch.

As expected Tank hit the wall and bounced off sliding back at the floating rock with a good bit of speed despite the impact taking some of the power out of it. Emerald watched in confusion and annoyance as Tank slid back at her, though given she was floating above the ground in that weird geodude way, she likely expected Tank would slide right under her.

“Tank Tackle, NOW!” I shouted out and Tank popped his legs out suddenly and lunged.

The now flying turtle was sped up even more by the tackle plus the impact of the mega punch that hadn't bled off. That boosted tackle slammed into the geodude who was actually rocked back from the hit and sent staggering, a chip of rock falling from her cheek.

The geodude glared touching her cheek and nearly snarling at Tank who popped fully out of his shell with a huff, dirty but mostly undamaged.

Emerald moved forward as if ready to continue on the attack when a call from Salvadore stopped her. The geodude whirled and looked up at him gesturing wildly with her hands in a obvious ‘Oh Come ON!? expression.

Salvadore shook his head and Emerald huffed and fell back like she had been murdered, going full ham and showing to any one watching that this win was completely fake. That annoyed me, but I would take it.

“Well. Seems there is something to you.” Salvadore smirked. “I hope that wasn't luck and that being a clever kid is enough for you to get past Forest.”

Oh stars why did he say it like that!?!?