• ...
3
 65
 2,736

Batteries

The sounds of gunfire erupted instantly. The loud pops and bagns of automatic weapons started ringing in the air. The driver ducked down and the rest did the same to avoid stray bullets and shrapnel.

"Bullseye," cried the soldier in the shotgun seat, with a shotgun. "Protect Dash!"

"I'm not going to let you go out there alone," Bullseye replied.

"Stay with Dash!" ordered the other soldier as he jumped out of the car. Gunshots echoed from everywhere. Another explosion sounded from outside.

The driver moved quickly, pulling out his rifle. "Stay here!" he yelled, moving out of the car.

He moved forward, in front of the vehicle. His gun sounded a few times then he became a part of the windshield.

Dash started feeling nauseous. She began looking around, searching for a way out of this.

"Take this," said the Bullseye, handing her an easily concealable firearm. "Hide it somewhere. I'm going to do what I can to stop them. Whatever you do, don't leave the car."

He jumped out, taking his new gun with him, leaving Dash alone in the armored vehicle. She could see him through the side window and watched as he shot at the incoming enemies. He seemed to help until a small object hit the ground not too far away from him. He tried to run, but the grenade went off before he could move an inch.

Hiding the small weapon she had been handed, Dash jumped out of the car and ran to some cover before pulling out her phone. She started dialing and heard a whistle. A large object implanted itself in the ground in front of her and she jumped over the rock she was hiding behind.

A grenade landed in front of her and blew up, throwing her back. It was far enough away to do minimal damge, but it still hit hard. She laid on the ground, a cough escaping her mouth. Darkness consumed her.

*******************************

Rainbow Dash woke up with light seeping through some sort of cloth on her head. She could barely move. Pain coursed in her chest. There was speaking of some kind and she recognized some of it.

That was only because it was her name.

The bag around her head was removed, temporarily blinding Dash. Once her eyes adjusted, she saw what was happening. There were griffons standing around her with some ponies in masks. She saw the guns that they were holding and tried to keep herself from throwing up.

Her own weapon designs were here, being used to keep her captive. Her weapons that she had designed for the Equestrian military were in the hands of griffons.

And there was nothing she could do but black out again.

*******************************

When Rainbow finally came back to full consciousness, she realized a few things.

First, she was going to have to go through and look at every shipment of weapons once she got back. If she got back, bringing up the second point.

Rainbow Dash was going to have to escape quickly so she would get a chance to look over a few things. If she could get out fast enough, then she wouldn't have to worry about the weapons being used against her. But how to escape was a different question entirely.

Third, her chest hurt. It seemed too tight. There was obviously some damage left by the explosion.

Fourth, who saved her? If she was still alive, then that meant that there had to be a doctor around here somewhere.

Fifth, she was being held for a reason. Somepony or griffon wanted her alive or she would be taking a dirt nap right now. And whoever it was didn't have the best heating system.

Lastly, she was extremely thirsty.

Rainbow glanced around the room, wondering if there was anything that would help. She spotted a couple of cups filled with what looked like water and reached for the nearest one.

It fell.

Groaning, Rainbow reached a little farther to get the next cup. That one fell too. How do I grab things with these hooves, anyways? she thought.

Rainbow reached a little farther, keeping her hooves as steady as possible so she could get a good drink. Then something pulled at the center of her chest.

"I'd be more careful with that if I were you," said a pony from the other side of the room. "You might pull a wire loose."

"What?" Rainbow croaked out, her voice hoarse.

A unicorn stallion walked into her line of sight and pushed her back to the bed. "You need your rest," he said. "You're luck won't last you forever and you shouldn't be moving around after what happened."

Rainbow started to feel around the wires a bit. She then followed them with her eyes to what looked to be some sort of power source. It didn't look familiar to her, though.

Rainbow looked at the bandages covering her chest and started to pull at them. Something was there that shouldn't be. There was something wrong with her chest.

She tore the bandages free to reveal a small black object sitting in the center of her chest. It wasn't noticeable if you weren't looking for it. It was actually almost cool.

Rainbow sat up, hoping it wouldn't effect anything else. She looked at the stallion who was standing next to her and then to the glass of water.

"Here you go," he said, levitating the glass over. "Try to take it slow."

"What did you do to me?" she asked.

"What I did," he said. "Was save your life. You were lucky to not be instantly killed by the explosion. You're even more lucky I was the doctor who worked on you. I have seen many things like what happened to you. I pulled out as much shrapnel as I could, but there was still some left, heading toward your heart. You can slow down the process if you take it slowly."

"Thanks," she said. "What do I call you?"

"My name is Fencin," he said. "You don't remember me? Not surprising. I probably wouldn't remember my own name if I were as drunk as you were."

"We've met?" Rainbow asked.

"It was one of your famous parties back in the early days of the company," Fencin said.

Rainbow just sighed and turned away, moving toward the box. "So what is this thing?"

"It's one of the original power supply boxes that Sparkle Industries made," he said. "That thing in your chest is the electromagnet keeping the leftover shrapnel out of your heart."

"Why did they have you save me?" she asked.

"I don't know," he said. "Maybe you should-"

There was a loud noise from the door as a small area cleared up to look through. A pair of golden eyes looked in, then it closed back up. Fencin and Rainbow looked at each other briefly before Fencin stood up, looking at the door. Dash decided it would be best to follow suit an did the same.Then the door was opened to show a small group of her captors. Seven griffons walked in, brandishing some of the latest weapons from Sparkle Industries. They all had their faces covered, but the beak was still obvious.

One of them stepped forward and revealed his face. Steely eyes were held in a head that looked bronze. His golden beak was practically sparkling in the light of the fire burning in the corner. "I see you two have met," he said, glancing over to Fencin. "So I guess I should tell you a few things before we get started."

"That would be helpful," Rainbow said. "So why exactly am I still here?"

"You have all of the fire that your reputation gives you," the griffon said. "In both ways, I would assume. Oh, where are my manners? My name is Saarken. It's nice to meet you in person, Miss Dash."

He took me prisoner and he's concerned about manners? she thought. "What do you want?"

"I want you to build me what you built them," he said. "What did you call it, the Leviathan? I want you to build me some of those."

"And if I refuse?" she said.

Saarken shouted something at the others, and a few stepped forward. They grabbed Rainbow and dragged her over to a large container of what looked like pure ice. Once they shoved her head in, it turned out it was ice water.

They held Dash's head under for a few seconds before pulling her up long enough for her to catch her breath before shoving her head back into the freezing water. They repeated this a few times before putting a black hood over her head. They led her somewhere before showing her what they had.

The light was almost blinding, but it died down as Rainbow's eyes adjusted. There were griffons everywhere with the occasional pony walking around. There were large piles of weapons. Her weapons. They had all of them.

"What do you think?" Saarken asked.

"I think you have a lot of my designs," Rainbow replied.

"We have everything you will need," he said. "Build them, and I will set you free."

And I'm Princess Celestia, Rainbow thought. She looked at the claw extended and shook it with her hoof.

*******************************

After getting all of the materials, Dash set to work. She started by recalling the blueprints so everything would work. She didn't have much time to do this.

"What are you building?" Fencin asked.

"Something that will give me more time," Rainbow said.

Later, Fencin was walking across the room with something in a bowl. He carefully poured the liquid into the mold, creating a thin circle.

It wasn't too long after that when Dash was working with detail tools. And soon after that, there was a small device sitting on the workbench. Rainbow slowly let power in until it appeared stable. She cut the flow of power and looked at the device glowing in front of her.

"That isn't a missile," Fencin said.

"No," Rainbow replied. "It's something else entirely. If the calculations are correct, this thing is a self sustaining power core that will last a decade at least running it's own power of approximately 3 gigawatts."

Fencin stared at the small device, giving it a low whistle. "What is it called?"

"I don't know yet," Rainbow replied. "But it's almost more efficient than the AKRCS and it's much smaller. A shorter name would work better."

"Why not call it the Miniature Arcane Power Source. MAPS for short."

"Maybe," Rainbow said. "But I can decide that later. I need you to set this up properly."

Fencin glanced between Rainbow and the device a few times before nodding. "Go ahead and relax on the table. I'll give you some anesthetics and when you wake up, You'll have a drastically increased life span."