• ...
3
 65
 2,729

Defending Herself

Rainbow Dash winced as Soarin finished wrapping her wing. "You should tell Spitfire about this," he said. "She could have the entire team in flight and take out whoever this pony is in a matter of minutes."

"I can't tell her yet," Rainbow replied. "I don't know who it is, myself. I can't send one of my friends after a shadow."

"Then just tell her about what happened," Soarin suggested. "She could figure it out with you and then the team could take him out."

"She's already mad at me over the shipment thing," Rainbow said. "I don't want to bother her with more trouble from me. Besides, how hard could it be to find this guy?"

Soarin gave her a flat look. "I can't believe you just said that," he muttered. "Fine. But try to stay out of jail this time."

"That was for something completely different!" Rainbow defended, blushing slightly as Soarin walked out of the room.

Rainbow walked over to her computer and started to put together a file. There wasn't much, but there was enough to get started.

She finished putting together what she knew and hit the 'ENTER' button. Leaning back in her chair, she started to think about what was going on. After returning home from being kidnapped, there wasn't much time to just rest, not that her mind would let her anyways. First getting the leading role in a business, finding out there was someone working against her with the shipments and now this?!

The computer let out a beep and Rainbow snapped out of her thoughts to see what it had come up with. Fortunately, there were only a few people on the list of possibilities. Of course, with one of them being a griffon, that narrowed down the list of suspects in her mind.

Hydraulics hissed and Rainbow turned around to see the new suit standing ready. "I guess it could use a good test run."

*******************************

She landed fairly quietly, considering she was wearing a very large and heavy piece of metal. The GPS system seemed to be working perfectly, since she could see the griffon in question moving quickly with a very nice high-powered rifle.

Rainbow fired tranquilizers before the griffon could get off a shot. Unfortunately, the griffon was faster than she had expected. Only a couple hit, giving the beast a chance to fire a shot anyways. His shot wasn't as lucky as Rainbow's, though, bouncing off her new armor. However, the tranquilizers were good enough to knock him out cold after that.

About an hour later, the griffon woke up tied down to a chair. "What do you want?" he spat at her.

"I want information about a target of yours," Rainbow said, the suit disguising her voice as she spoke. "You attacked miss Rainbow Dash, CEO of Sparkle Industries. Why?"

He chuckled. "If you're here about that, you could've just asked. It's not like I was trying to kill her."

"Well you were pretty convincing otherwise," she said.

"How do you know that?" he asked. "There wasn't anyone around to see the shot."

"I have good sources," she said, trying to throw him off.

"Oh," the griffon said, bowing his head some. "I get it. He didn't want loose ends. I guess that's what I get for working for some pony in the Industry."

What? Rainbow thought. "What do you mean by that?"

"You don't know?" he questioned, looking back up at her. "The pony who hired me, and you, works inside Sparkle Industries. I guess he really was pulling out all the stops, bringing you in without any information."

Rainbow's jaw dropped. There was somebody working for Sparkle Industries that hired a mercenary to attack her! "Who was it?" she asked, trying to keep her voice even.

"Ask him," he said. "I never got a name or a face, just a voice over the phone."

"I'll do that," she said, reloading darts into the launchers and firing. The griffon was sleeping soon and Dash had other things to do now, anyways. She undid the ropes and moved the sleeping Griffon onto the nearby couch. She grabbed the rifle and jumped out the way she came in, flying back to her lab. There were things to be done about this.

*******************************

Shining sat in his office looking over the blueprints he had just received. They were surprisingly simple, though there was the matter of power for it. If only there were some way to-

His phone going off snapped him out of his thoughts. "Hello?" he answered.

"What do you think of them?" came Saarken's voice from the other end. "I do hope they're accurate.We had to pull out the pages from a fire and carefully retrieve what was there, not to mention scouring the desert for the parts."

"I have no doubt," Shining replied. "What I do wonder about is why."

Saarken laughed. "You shouldn't worry yourself over why, Shining. The parts will be there in a few days. Just remember the deal and everything will be fine."

*******************************

Rainbow was slightly uncomfortable in the machines around her tugging at the bits of metal. "I've gotten this off before," she mumbled as a foreleg piece was loosened,only to be tightened again. "Why is it so difficult now?"

Hoofsteps came from the stairway and Rainbow looked over as a voice followed them. "I just got a call from Spitfire saying something about a test you were involved in, Rainbow. What exactly was that..." Soarin's voice trailed off as he turned the corner and saw Rainbow held in the air by the robots. "What are you doing?"

"I'm... I'm," Rainbow stuttered, grasping at straws for the right words. Finally, she sighed. "Let's face it: You've caught me doing worse."

"What do you need this time?" he asked, moving forward to help Rainbow out of her suit.

*******************************

The caves were a little brighter than usual for the time to properly accommodate their current 'guest'. It still took a little getting-used-to, but it wasn't all too bad. At least this one hadn't escaped as well, considering it would have taken far longer to find her in the vast expanse of the desert. It was also only by luck Rainbow Dash hadn't seen this camp as well.

Saarken could barely contain himself as he walked into the room. He looked at the mare in the center and smiled. She was blindfolded and properly restrained with ropes and a nullification ring around her horn, as to avoid a breakout. And, much to Saarken's pleasure, she was terrified.

"You needn't worry, Princess," he said, a smile on his beak. "This will only last as long as it has to. Your knight in Shining Armor would do anything to protect his precious wife."