• Published 5th Aug 2022
  • 1,094 Views, 71 Comments

The Equestria Chronicles: Prelude - Slippin_Sweetie



After being alerted by the Cutie Map, our heroes must take the laborious task of preparing for a very long road ahead of them. But even getting on the road will prove to be a challenge.

  • ...
4
 71
 1,094

Salvation In Sisterhood

Rainbow Dash placed Scootaloo on her scooter, attempting to balance her as the filly lazily slumped over the handlebars, “C’mon, Scootaloo, show me your moves.”

She’d sigh, giving a slight kick that propelled her slightly; Rainbow Dash scoffed, “Come on, that isn’t the best you can do.”

“Mmnnnggghh….” Grumbled Scootaloo as she collapsed to the ground.

Rainbow Dash sighed, “You just need some motivation; luckily for you, motivation is my specialty.” She’d take a long deep breath, “GET ON THAT SCOOTER!” Barked Rainbow Dash.

Scootaloo quickly climbed up as she frantically began kicking; despite the urgency of her movement, Rainbow Dash could easily keep up with a steady trot, “C’mon! You can go faster, faster, Scootaloo!”

Scootaloo stamped her hoof in the dirt as she jetted forward; Rainbow Dash smirked as she began galloping next to her, “Don’t you feel your blood pumping? The wind in your mane?”

Scootaloo slowly smiled, “Yeah….yeah!” Her smile faded as quickly as it came; Rainbow Dash scowled at the sight, “Put both hooves on the base!” Ordered Rainbow Dash; as Scootaloo placed her hooves on the scooter’s base, Rainbow Dash quickly got on the back of the scooter, putting her front hooves over Scootaloo’s shoulders as she began flapping her wings.

The scooter quickly raced through the streets of Ponyville. Scootaloo’s eyes widened at the sight of the dozens of ponies crossing the street; she’d soon turn to Rainbow Dash, “We’re gonna crash!”

Rainbow Dash grinned as a determined look formed on her face, “No, we’re not; lean to the left with me!”

The two swerved to the left as Rainbow Dash slammed her left hoof against the ground, raising her left wing to turn sharply as the pair skirted against the dirt, the screech of their tires echoed through the air.

Scootaloo screamed in delight as the pair ripped through Ponyville; Rainbow Dash flapped her wings once more to increase their speed, “Scootaloo!” Shouted Rainbow Dash over the sound of their thundering wheels and the wood base of the scooter rattling.

“What should we do now!?”

“What? Why are you asking me!? Squeaked Scootaloo,” I don’t know; I didn’t want to even do this in the first place; I don’t want to do anything!” She’d whine.

“Well, tough luck! Because if you don’t do something, we’ll crash into those crates!” She’d gesture to a market vendor moving stacks of crates into his produce stand, with a large pile sitting in their way, with another group of ponies blocking their path. However, a small piece of plywood leaning against another crate presented itself as their only means of avoiding a crash.

“Scootaloo, you have to do something; we’re running out of time!” Screamed Rainbow Dash

Scootaloo slammed her eyes shut as she resisted the spell’s effects, her desire to act grappling with the entangling feeling of disinterest; she’d quickly open her as she screamed, “LEAN RIGHT!”

The pair quickly leaned right as they began barreling toward the small ramp, “WHEN WE JUMP, OPEN YOUR WINGS AND LEAN FORWARD!” Shouted Scootaloo.

Rainbow Dash eagerly obeyed as the pair glided through the air above the awning populace, screaming at the top of their lungs before their scooter smashed against the earth, causing the two to tumble and roll on the ground.

The girls groaned as they slowly peeled off the dirt underneath them, “That…was….awesome!” Squealed Scootaloo, the young filly bucked and pranced in place excitedly.

“It was awesome. Don’t you feel better?” Rainbow Dash asked hesitantly.

Scootalook quickly turned to Rainbow Dash; she jumped and happily flapped her wings, “Yeah!” A spiral of magic would encompass her as the pseudo-cutie mark on her flank shined brightly in a beam of light before disappearing completely.


Applejack sighed as she examined Applebloom,” Nothing broken, swollen, or sore….no sign of illness.”

“Applejack, that’s the third time you’ve checked Applebloom; you already know it’s not anything we can treat with our experience. We need to follow Discord’s instructions!” Granny Smith said as she trotted next to her granddaughter.

“I know, Granny; it’s just so….demoralizing, I just can’t believe Starlight did this to Applebloom; it’s just not right; it’s cowardly!” Lamented Applejack.

“I agree with yah, Applejack, but we can’t sit here and let Applebloom suffer while we grumble about the past; now, let’s get some pep in her step!” Exclaimed Granny.

Applejack sighed, “You’re right, Granny, Big Mac!”

Big Mac slowly peered into the bedroom as he wiped a few tears from his face and hid his puffy eyes from Applejack, “Yup?”

“All of us are going to get Applebloom’s spirits back; we’re going to have so much fun, she’ll be in tears!” Proclaimed Applejack.

The rest of the Apples shared a slightly confused look between them.

“....Of joy, y’all, tears of joy.” Sighed Applejack.

As the Apple family pulled Applebloom out of bed, the family quickly moved into the kitchen, “Alright, Applebloom, let’s make your favorite meal; that’ll surely get your spirits up.”

“I don’t want anything.” Grumbled Applebloom.

“Nonsense! No spell is powerful enough to stop somepony from having our family’s secret, absolutely delicious apple pie.” Proclaimed Granny, “And it’s time you learn how to make it.”

Applebloom looked to Granny Smith and then Applejack, “Are y’all sure I’m ready?....”

“We’d usually teach you once you’d get your Cutie Mark, but given the circumstances, I think we can make an exception.” Applejack said as she rubbed Appleblooms head.

“Eeeeeyup.” Nodded Big Mac.

Applebloom slowly smiled as she fought against the gnawing boredom and apathy; Granny Smith squinted as she quickly shouted, “No time for talk! We need to get this pie started! Big Mac, get me the freshest apples from the orchard; Applejack, get me ingredients for the crust and filling!

The older mare turned to Applebloom, “Applebloom come with me; we’ll wash our hooves.”

Applebloom slowly nodded as Big Mac and Applejack galloped throughout the house; the thundering sound of their hooves against the wooden floor echoed throughout the house, followed by the front door smashing against the wall and slamming shut.

Applebloom looked around frantically as Granny calmly escorted her to the kitchen sink; the two washed their hooves as Applejack set out the flour, eggs, and bowl before Big Mac returned with a bushel of fresh apples.

“Me and Applebloom will slice the apples while Applejack and Big Mac peel them; now, let’s get this pie ready!”

The family prepared the apples together, mixing, rolling, and kneading the pie dough, a delicate and precise effort. But with the help of her elders, Applebloom put together the sweet confection in a matter of minutes.

She patiently waited for the pie to bake, attentively sitting in front of the hot oven as the once wet and rubbery dough firmed up into a delicious buttery and flakey crust. The ringing of the kitchen timer quickly snapped Applebloom out of her trance.

Once they set out the pie, the Apples patiently waited, watching as delicious steaming pie cooled as drool dribbled from their mouths; the wait was excruciating. But their patience was rewarded with a slice of pie.

The perfect crust enriched with butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. The gooey filling with soft macintosh apples and a caramel-like taste. Applebloom slowly turned to Applejack with the biggest smile on her face.

A bright flash of white light blinded the table for a moment, blinding the family, but once the light died down, what greeted them was Applebloom without that awful Cutie Mark.

“I can’t believe I made this pie, and I can’t believe it tastes just like y’all’s! Now I can make it whenever I want!” Exclaimed Applebloom.

“Yup.” Nodded Big Mac.

“Now you know the Apple family secret apple pie recipe; not only is it your job to protect the secret, but it’s also your job to teach the next generation of Apples when it’s time.” Asserted Applejack.

“Mean’s you’re carrying the same responsibility your Mamie and Papie, and their Mamie and Papie before them had.” Beamed Granny Smith.

Applebloom slowly nodded, feeling the importance of the act. It wasn’t as simple as just baking a pie. It was kept a family tradition passed down for generations. Something that made the Apple family, well….the Apple family.

“Well, I promise to make sure the recipe is protected and won’t be forgotten,” Smiled Applebloom.

“Good, now who wants another slice?” Asked Applejack.

“I do!” Exclaimed the rest of the family.