• Published 5th Aug 2022
  • 1,095 Views, 71 Comments

The Equestria Chronicles: Prelude - Slippin_Sweetie



After being alerted by the Cutie Map, our heroes must take the laborious task of preparing for a very long road ahead of them. But even getting on the road will prove to be a challenge.

  • ...
4
 71
 1,095

All That Glimmers Is Not Gold

Starlight pranced about happily as she treaded through the Everfree forest, sure she had narrowly escaped with her life from the Timber Wolves, but Twilight Sparkle was dead! The central part of her revenge plan was a success and was so simple too.

“I bet they’re too distraught to do anything; I can’t wait to see the look on their faces!” Starlight thought to herself as she quickly pulled her cloak over herself and excitedly galloped to Ponyville; much to her disappointment, the town wasn’t grieving or in a sorrowful state.

“Probably just denial or they haven’t told anypony about her fate yet.” Starlight thought to herself; she’d walk through the town to see if there was any sign of grief or news about Twilight’s ‘demise.’

She’d look and look before sighing; she’d go straight to the horse’s mouth, er-metaphorically speaking, she’d travel to Twilight’s Castle, approaching the front doors before pushing them open with her magic.

Twilight perked her head up, slowly stretching as she’d picked up her cup of tea with her magic before heading toward the front door, “Hello?” She’d drop her glass at the sight of Starlight.

The Unicorn gasped as her look of shock turned to rage, “You’re supposed to be dead!” snarled Starlight, “How are you alive!?”

“My friend Zecora saved me; looks like you failed again, Starlight, you failed to have the fillies under your spell, and you failed once again to destroy me,” Twilight said as she prepared herself for another duel.

Starlight smirked, “I should’ve known better than to expect a pack of Timber Wolves to do the job; I guess you know what they say, ‘if you want a job done right, you better do it yourself…’” She’d quickly fire a magical beam at Twilight.

The Alicorn quickly raised a defensive shield around her before using telekinesis to rip the crystals from the flooring and walls, forcing the gems to orbit around her.

Starlight fired another magic beam before Twilight batted it away, reflecting the spell back at Starlight. The Unicorn quickly dodged the beam before the magic was once again reflected against a nearby wall.

The beam of magic ricocheted through the Castle halls. Starlight quickly hit the floor as she covered her head with her front legs; Twilight realizing the danger in firing a spell in a building full of reflective surfaces, quickly dropped her crystals before raising a magical shield to protect herself.

Spike opened his bedroom door, “What’s going on-” The beam of magic quickly struck Spike as the little dragon was frozen solid rapidly and encapsulated in a block of ice.

“Spike!” Cried Twilight as she quickly turned to Starlight; the Unicorn quickly stamped her hooves as a wave of crystals raced toward Twilight like a tidal wave; she’d soon force the wall next to her to stretch out and block the incoming tide before slamming the crystal back into the wall with her magic.

“Not bad, but you’ve definitely skimped out on your offensive magic.” Starlight quickly raised the crystal floor underneath Twilight, attempting to stab her with crystal spikes. Twilight narrowly avoided getting skewered as she took flight.
Starlight growled as she used her telekinesis to levitate herself, “Sometimes I forget Celestia made YOU of all ponies an Alicorn; not to worry, I can keep up with whatever worthless magic you can throw at me.”

“When will this end, Starlight!?” Pleaded Twilight, “Surely there’s a way where we can at least co-exist together; this doesn’t have to end with one of us being destroyed!”

“Co-exist? We were already doing that before you showed up and destroyed everything I worked for!” She’d quickly rip a chunk of the ceiling and fling it at Twilight.

Twilight narrowly avoided the debris as she turned to ensure it didn’t hit Spike; she’d quickly fly over to grab him. Before she could, however, Starlight quickly struck Twilight’s left wing with her magic, causing the Alicorn to slam into the hard floor and slide across the hall before slamming into a door.

Twilight quickly examined her wing; it sizzled as she’d closely examined the wound, an ember spell that scorched her wings and burned her. Flying was out of the question. Twilight slowly rose to her hooves as Starlight drew ever closer.

Twilight slowly moved toward Spike as she readied herself for Starlight’s oncoming attack; the Unicorn cackled, “How does it feel, Twilight Sparkle, to be just like everypony else? No friends, no special magic, to suffer alone!?”

Twilight paused, slowly putting the pieces together in her mind as she looked up at Starlight, “Starlight, please, I can help you-”

“Don’t you lecture me! I didn’t come all this way to be mouthed off by the likes of you!” The walls and ground beneath them began to shake as Starlight started to rip the crystals from the ceiling and walls. She was groaning as she strained herself.

“Starlight! What are you doing!? You’re going to destroy the entire Castle!” Screamed Twilight.

“I’m teaching YOU a lesson, Twilight Sparkle; what it feels like to have everything taken from you!” She’d quickly smash large chunks of crystals against the Castle as the earth beneath them began to thunder, and the sound of thousands of crystals started to crack and shatter.

The main base of the Castle, the tree trunk, collapsed as it plummeted toward the three. Starlight quickly teleported away as Twilight grabbed Spike and soon followed. Standing at a safe distance, Twilight watched in muted horror as the Castle of Friendship toppled over and smashed into the ground, shattering like glass and echoing throughout Ponyville.

Twilight collapsed to the ground as she could feel the breakfast from earlier today fighting to come up as her head spun a million miles a minute. Her vision started to blur, and everything turned to darkness before she realized it.