• Published 20th Sep 2012
  • 2,379 Views, 41 Comments

Discord's Resignation - Xz Hacker



Discord passes on his power to Pinkie Pie.

  • ...
4
 41
 2,379

Chapter Four: "Seeing as He Saw"

Chapter Four: “Seeing as He Saw”

The next day Twilight once again woke to the smell of muffins. She saw Spike still asleep, and decided not to wake him. They had had a late night. She walked down the stairs to find Pinkie Pie merrily creating and then ripping from existence multiple items of different types at the same time. “Wow Pinkie, that's amazing. How many things are you making at once now?”

Pinkie Pie looked up at her. “Oh, I'd say...” She trailed off staring at Twilight with wide eyes.

“What is it Pinkie? What's wrong?”

She continued staring at Twilight for a moment before slowly opening her mouth again. “I...” She stopped as if in shock at her own words. “I can...” She hesitated, then blurted out her sentence. “I can hear myself!”

Twilight looked completely confused at her statement. “What do you mean Pinkie? I can hear myself too.”

Pinkie Pie shook her head. “No... not like that... I mean... I hear... what you hear...”

Twilight stared at her wide eyed. “You mean you can hear your voice through my ears?”

Pinkie Pie nodded her head. “Echo! That's weird. It's hard to talk, hearing my own echo like that.”

Twilight had an idea. “Wait here, I want to go get Spike to see something.” Twilight ran upstairs to fetch Spike. He sleepily came down the stairs.

“What is it Twilight, what did you need me for so early?”

“It's not early, you just slept in. Anyway, I need you to whisper something in my ear.”

“Like what?”

“I don't know, anything.”

Spike stood on his tiptoes to reach Twilight's ear. “Can I go back to bed,” he whispered in her ear.

Twilight looked over at Pinkie Pie. Pinkie Pie nodded and said, “can I go back to bed?”

Spike blinked and stared at Pinkie Pie. “Whoa, that's creepy.”

Pinkie Pie looked at Twilight. “I can hear my voice from both of you, and each others in the other.”

Twilight placed a hoof on Pinkie Pie's back. “Slow down and take it easy Pinkie, we need to figure this out.”

“What's there to figure out? I can hear what everypony is hearing!”

Sensing the panic in her voice, Twilight decided it would be best if they were alone. “Spike please go back to bed.”

“You don't have to ask me twice.” Spike slowly went upstairs, and fell almost immediately asleep.

“What am I going to do?”

Twilight looked at her with worried eyes. “Is it that bad Pinkie? I mean, does the extra noise bother you?”

Pinkie Pie looked at her with sad eyes. “It's not that. It's how I sound to you. I don't sound like that at all. You hear me so... different. You and Spike both, you hear me so weirdly. I'm not even sure how to describe the differences, even between the two of you.”

“You mean we hear things differently from one another?”

“Yes. So, soooo differently. You here me as, well.” She grunted in frustration. “This is hard to explain.”

Twilight wished she could help more. “I don't know what to say Pinkie. I really can't understand what you're going through.”

Pinkie Pie perked up a little. “Maybe you can.”

Twilight took a step back. “What do you mean?”

“Please Twilight, I need someone to understand what I'm going through here.”

Twilight hesitated for a moment. “What do you have in mind?”

“I'll just make it so you can hear what I hear, OK?”

Twilight braced herself mentally. “OK, do it!”

Pinkie Pie stared at her for a moment, then smiled broadly.

Twilight opened her mouth and began to speak. “Did it... whoa.” She didn't expect to hear her own voice that way.

“I know, right?”

“That's... really... weird.”

Pinkie nodded her head. “Now imagine that with more than just me and you.”

Twilight shook her head slightly. “I don't think I want to... it's so... please make it stop.”

Pinkie Pie blinked. “Done.”

“Testing.” She let out a relieved sigh at not being able to hear herself from Pinkie Pie's perspective. “Please don't do that again.”

Pinkie Pie walked over and hugged Twilight gently. “I'm sorry, and thank you.”

Twilight hugged her back. “You're welcome. Now, let me go tell Celestia about this. She will be very interested to know about this peculiar development.” She stared at Pinkie Pie for a moment, expecting her to get worried about what she was going to say to Celestia.

After a few seconds Pinkie Pie shook her head. “I'm not worried, I can feel you only mean to do what's best.”

Twilight took a step back. “Now, that is creepy.” Twilight went upstairs to begin writing her letter to Celestia. While Pinkie Pie sat in the main room of the library and tried out her new trick.

She felt around town. Sensing each individuals mind around her. Occasionally she would listen in on the conversations. After a few minutes she had an idea. She looked up at the top of the stairs. She focused on Twilight's mind. After a few seconds of getting in synch with her she began to communicate. “Hey Twilight.”

Upstairs Twilight jumped, still in the middle of writing her letter. She looked around for a few seconds, trying to find Pinkie Pie. “Pinkie? Where are you,” she asked out loud.

“You don't have to say anything. I can hear what you are thinking before you say it. Besides you don't want to wake up Spike, he's having a nice dream.”

Twilight began to open her mouth, then shut it and began thinking her question. “Where are you?”

“Still downstairs.”

“Is this some kind of psychic link?”

“Sorta.”

“What do you mean sorta?”

“You say psychic and mean magic or something more unusual. It's much simpler than that. I just think about what I want you to hear and you hear it. Sorta like what we did early, except over a distance.”

Twilight was getting frustrated about the vagueness of Pinkie Pie's explanations. Before she could express herself, Pinkie Pie beat her to it. “I'm sorry I can't explain better Twilight, you just can't understand it. If it will make you feel better, we can talk with Celestia and explain it to her, so you don't have to.”

Twilight considered this for a moment. She began to wonder if Celestia would mind a surprise visit to explain the unusual circumstances. Once again however, Pinkie Pie was one step ahead of her thoughts. “No, not like that silly, like this!”

Before Twilight had time to mentally protest, she could feel Celestia had been added to the link. “What is this,” Celestia thought, as she quickly felt her mind being added.

Twilight hastily began to apologize. “I'm sorry Princess. Pinkie Pie wanted to show you something, and I didn't have time to warn you first.”

Pinkie Pie joined in. “Hiya Princess. Do you like it? I can talk to anyone anywhere!”

Celestia seemed slightly disturbed by the notion. Both Pinkie Pie and Twilight could feel the emotions she put off thanks to the link. “Pinkie Pie, please add my sister to this,” she paused, attempting to think of the word. Twilight's mind thought of the word link, and Celestia's mind agreed. “Yes link, thank you Twilight.”

“Oke doki!”

After a short pause Luna's mind could be felt. She was still asleep. Twilight and Celestia could feel the dream she was having. It was a happy one. Celestia felt bad for a moment, knowing that she would wake her sister from such a good dream, of which she knew she had very few. Twilight sensed this sentiment and asked Celestia, “Luna normally has nightmares?”

Celestia got slightly embarrassed. She knew she was not supposed to tell anyone that. Yet she didn't know how not to think about it while they were connected as they were.

Luna began to feel all of the mental activity around her and began to slowly wake up. “Sister is that you,” she asked out loud, lifting up her head and looking around her room.

“I am not there dear sister, but in your mind.”

Luna snapped wide awake. “How is such a thing possible?”

Pinkie Pie began to feel some glee at having so quickly learned to do such an interesting trick. Luna could feel her mental presence and sighed. “We should have known that to be the answer to our question.”

Twilight began wondering about Luna's nightmares, and Luna took notice quickly. “Sister! You swore an oath never to tell another soul of our night terrors!”

Celestia hastily responded in her own defense. “I am sorry, it was not my fault. They heard my thoughts!”

Luna was quite irritated, but felt her sister's remorse. “We understand...”

Celestia felt relived. “Now to the matter at hand, Pinkie Pie, how are you managing to do this?”

Pinkie Pie began to, wordlessly, recount the day's events, and all the things that had led up to the current situation. “And so here we are,” she announced proudly when she was done.

Celestia was desperately trying to keep a thought out of her head. No one could tell what it was, but everyone knew she was trying no to think of something. Twilight became concerned. “Princess what is the matter?”

Still successfully distracting her own mind with countless thoughts of seemingly unrelated things Celestia responded slowly. “Nothing my dear student, it is just... there are things I would rather current company not be made aware of.”

Luna grew suspicious. “Sister... are thou hiding something from us?”

Celestia's thoughts grew frantic. She could barley contain what she was trying so hard not to think about. “Pinkie Pie, may me and my sister have a few minutes to speak in private, we will come to Ponyville and talk with you in person shortly.”

Pinkie Pie was about to disconnect them when Luna's thoughts interrupted her. “No, I think that it will be a good thing to speak here, where you may not hide anything from us.” Twilight and Pinkie Pie could feel the small amount of malice coming from Luna. Luna was too busy enjoying having her sister in such a vulnerable position to care. “How about it dear sister, what is it that you have been hiding from me?”

Celestia mentally squirmed. She was beginning to try to think of a way out of this, and everyone else knew it. “Come now sister, what would I have to hide from you?”

“We are not entirely sure. Perhaps you may enlighten us?”

Pinkie Pie's curiosity got the better of her, and while the Princesses were going back and forth, she dived deeper into Celestia's mind. When she found the thought she was so desperately trying to hide she sat there for a moment. Unsure of what to make of it.

At that time, both the Princesses and Twilight realized what she had done. Luna mentally turned her attention to Pinkie Pie. “Well what did you find?”

“She was thinking of how well she could have ruled with this much power. How she could have been omniscient.”

Luna turned back her full attention to her sister. “Why would you hide such a thing from us?”

Celestia mentally winced as the remaining part of the information began to show for everyone. She was also thinking of how Luna would no longer be needed, because Celestia would be able to watch over everyone everywhere at all times.

Luna sat there appalled for a moment. Unable to think or feel anything but hurt at this. Celestia quickly began trying to explain herself. “I did not mean it to sound so cruel. It was not out of greed that I had this though, but rather out of compassion.”

Luna began to get angry at such a bold statement which she could only imagine to be a lie to undue the damage that had already been done, but she stopped when she felt the truth behind the statement. “Continue.”

“I was thinking of all the time that we have spent raising and lowering the sun. Always apart from one another. We never truly had time to be real sisters, not since our early years. I could not help but think of how wonderful it would have been, if I could have used that power to prevent us from ever needing to be apart again. I could have made the sun raise and lower itself. I could have watched over both day and night. All while spending all of your waking moments with you.”

Everyone else connected thoughts went silent. Nothing but raw emotion came from anyone. Luna, Twilight, and Pinkie Pie were all so deeply moved, not only by Celestia's words, but also by the emotions behind them, that they could do nothing but feel.

After several moments of the mental equivalent of silence Luna finally brought her emotions together enough to think straight. “We think it would be best... if we were left alone with our sister for sometime.”

Celestia agreed. “We will come to Ponyville to speak with you in person soon, but give us some time together first.”

Pinkie Pie then disconnected all of them, leaving them to the emptiness that was their own minds. Twilight stared forward for a second. She was having some trouble dealing with all the emotions she had just felt. In both senses of the word felt, she not only had to cope with her own emotions about the situation, but the emotions of others, and to make it even worse their emotions about her emotions, and their emotions about her emotions about their emotions. The cycle would continue on and on. She was trying to get her head around the infinite cascade of emotions to be felt by those connected in such a way, when suddenly she realized Pinkie Pie was standing next to her. “Ah!” She jumped slightly at her being there.

“Shhh... you'll wake up Spike,” Pinkie Pie said quietly.

They both silently made their way downstairs to talk. Twilight was getting prepared to ask how Pinkie Pie had managed to get upstairs so fast when Pinkie Pie decided to answer the unasked question. “I'm not really sure how I got up there, I just wanted to be there, and I was.”

“Are you still reading my mind?”

“More than that, I'm reading everyone's mind.”

Twilight wasn't sure what to make of this. “What?”

Pinkie Pie smiled ever so slightly. “It's hard to understand, and I wish you could see it Twilight.”

“Can't you show me?”

Pinkie Pie's smile broadened ever so slightly. “No, I wish I could.”