• Published 2nd Aug 2022
  • 213 Views, 5 Comments

INSURANCE! a Grumpy Goat >tail< - De Writer



Grumpy (who is technically dead) finds out that Canterlot Casualty and Life failed to pay on a modest life insurance policy 15 years ago! Penalties and interest have bcome a tidy sum since.

  • ...
 5
 213

Chapter 9

We went our way as soon as I changed back to my usual handsome goat self. The armored wagon was waiting at the railroad station. The station itself showed signs of the recent riot. There were broken windows and dents in the woodwork where stones had been thrown. A torch had been tossed onto the roof but had rolled off and guttered out on the stones of the pave.

We went around to the station platform. There had been some rioting here too. We were none too early. We could hear the engine cylinders puff-hissing as the engine was braking from her top speed. As she pulled up to the platform, her big double cylinders releasing a near continuous blast of steam as she braked, her slowing drive wheels making a metallic scream against the iron rails, the engineer brought the machine to a stop exactly at the platform. Medics in Ponyville Principality Marines battle dress came from the station and waited by the armored freight car.

When a sentry on top of the car cleared it, the sliding door of the armored car opened with a bit of a squeal of metal.

The medics went in and shortly returned carrying two on stretchers. In response to Romaine’s penetrating questions, they replied, “No, their injuries do not appear to be serious. This is just a precaution until we can get them properly checked out. They were injured during the attempt at an ambush.”

After the casualties were taken care of, the car clerk emerged with my shipment acknowledgment. It stated the amount loaded aboard the train, that this was a transfer, and shipment would only be complete after a matching count done at Ponyville Trust and Loan. Being careful that I was signing nothing else, I put my signature to the document.

The unloading was well underway when a small crowd began to gather. A half dozen armed and armored Twilight’s Royal Guard stepped out of the Station. Crossbows were readied while the crowd watched. Several of them quietly put aside cudgels and other such improvised weapons.

When the loading of the armored wagon was complete, the Guard followed it to Ponyville Trust and Loan. We all arrived just in time to see Windy emerge, a smile on her face, and trot off in the direction of the Assembly of the Twins.

Mister Greenbriar came out to watch the unloading with me. He gave a sideways smile as he whispered, “We followed your instructions, Mister Wholeheart. The paperwork for acquisition of Windy’s land will be done in only two more days. We have already contacted Houser about rebuilding her place of business.”

I replied, “Good. I will be so glad when the last of this windfall is safe in your vault. You already have my permission to use up to 60% of the total for business and personal loans. I do know that you will use it wisely.”

With a sideways grin, I added, “Oddly enough, you already have in your vaults more gold than those crooks in Equestrian National have in theirs! They got caught being part of defrauding policy holders at Canterlot Casualty and Life. Now they get to pay on the policies that they tried to withhold or reduce payment on. Mine isn’t the only big one, either. Just the biggest and first to be paid.”

Mister Greenbriar gave a considering glance at the bulk of the Equestrian National Building, several blocks over and a block or two up. “From what I have been hearing, there is a good chance that they my be forced into bankruptcy. Do you know anything about that?”

“Not really. I know that Celestia is auditing them and has found a direct connection between CC&L’s bad policy payouts and EQNB. There is something about a land grab in Bleatin’ Hallow that I know that they were involved in and I heard Celestia say that she had uncovered a literally treasonous plot to defraud the Kingdom by the sale of substandard supplies to the Baltimare Naval Yard.

“About bankruptcy, I don’t know. A major shake up for sure, perhaps even a full restructure of the bank. I personally think that last is the most likely. The EQNB is too valuable to the kingdom as whole for many large and widespread operations to allow it to be entirely destroyed, for instance, the Royal payrolls and benefices for the Royal Roads, the Equestrian Defense Bureau, and civil retirement benefices paid all over Equestria.

“Now CC&L is a whole different kettle of spoiled fish. If they just set up a trust to honor all of the current policies, they could wipe that nest of vermin off the face of Equestria!”

My money seen to, I trotted on up to Caramel Treat’s for the snack that I did not get earlier! I was surprised to be greeted warmly by a pony that was not Peanut Brittle but one whom I recognized.

Windy bobbed her head politely to me and asked politely, “Good day, sir! Welcome to Caramel Treat’s Sweets! What can we get you?” I could see Peanut watching, with a smile on her face.

I nodded politely back to her and pointed, “I am a regular here. If it has not already been taken, I usually sit there.” As she seated me, I added, “I would like to start with a big Trottingham Clotted Cream milkshake. For my meal, the clover top burger with the house special big onion rings and sweet/sour dipping sauce.” I paused, pretending to read her name tag and added, “Thank you, Windy.”

I watched Peanut showing Windy the ropes about tray setup. Shortly, Windy returned with my big milkshake. As she set out my shake, she informed me, “Your burger and onion rings are cooking now and will be ready soon.”

I nodded, “Thank you, Windy. You are doing a first class job.”

Shortly Romaine wandered up. She smiled and took a seat at my table. She was bubbling over! “Grumpy! I got the best pony-interest story out of the riot at the station! It still needs some work but it is a really good one.”

Windy interrupted to give Romaine a menu and take her drink order. She too read the name tag and replied, “Thank you, Windy. I will have the pineapple and pomegranate cocktail and asparagus salad and for an entree I will have the clover top steak with snowstar sauce and vegetable medley in butter sauce.”

Turning back to me, she went on, “Somepony in the mob threw a torch into a recently opened ice cream parlor and burned it to the ground. According to witnesses, a small business suited pony met her there in her burned out business. They talked briefly and she set out for downtown.

“I checked with Mol at the Hall of Records and found out that the business was called Windy’s Ice Cream and that the land was in the middle of a title change from Snobbin Realty to Ponyville Trust and Loan. I cross checked with business insurance and found that CC&L had insured it. The claim was already processed and there was a notice of a double indemnity payment being processed. It was approved over Princess Luna’s seal!

“Since the land was going to PT&L, I dropped by there and talked to Mister Greenbriar. The land is being given to the mare and the architect Houser has been engaged to rebuild the place for her.

“That is all being done as a free gift to the mare Windy …”

She paused and looked at our waitress again!

Windy was bringing out our orders on a big serving tray.