• Published 2nd Aug 2022
  • 663 Views, 11 Comments

Hidden Love - Starlight Fan



Starlight and Twilight have been going out for quite a while now, which is great but unfortunately, Twilight’s not ready to go public yet, for she has a bunch of worries preventing her from coming out.

  • ...
8
 11
 663

Seeking Advice

As Spike was in the cave, gem hunting with Rarity to help her with her fashion designs, he thought back to the breakfast with Twilight and Starlight. Spike was aware Starlight wanted to tell the secret of their relationship to their friends, but clearly Twilight was forcing her not to. He doubted Twilight meant anything malicious about it, but why did she want to hide it from them?

Did Twilight think they had internalized homophobia? Did she not want to ruin the group dynamic? Or worst of all, was she embarrassed about being with Starlight?

“Spike?” Rarity’s voice broke him out of his thoughts, “Are you alright? You seem to lack enthusiasm which is unusual for you. Is something amiss?”

Should I tell her? She’s just trying to help, but this is Twilight and Starlight’s business’ Spike thought to himself, before he saw the sincere look in Rarity’s eyes.

Screw it. I need to tell someone. I should ask her to keep it at a low profile though.’ Spike decided.

“Rarity, what I’m gonna say right now stays between us.” Spike told Rarity in a serious tone.

Rarity was a bit shocked to hear Spike speak in such seriousness, obviously what he was going to say was important.

“My lips are sealed.” Rarity nodded reassuringly.

“Okay, I just recently found out that Twilight and Starlight have a secret relationship.” Spike explained.

“Wait wha-“ Rarity began to shout before Spike covered her mouth, “Keep it down, remember the bats?”

“Oh right. Sorry.” Rarity blushed in embarrassment before looking bewildered, “But I can’t believe that Twilight and Starlight are dating and didn’t tell us. How did you find out anyway?”

“I overheard them talking about it, though I already suspected something was going on. They wanted it to be a secret, Twilight more so than Starlight, if I’m being fairly honest. Starlight wanted to tell all of us but Twilight has some concerns. She doesn’t want the public to know due to some concerns about homophobes.” Spike answered.

Rarity figured that explanation made sense, she believed Starlight would have willingly opened up about their relationship, she definitely doubted Twilight had bad intentions about hiding their relationship.

“Hmm, knowing Twilight, she’s likely concerned about something more than homophobia.” Rarity hummed in thought.

“Well, I did have a few theories but they might be stupid.” Spike admitted sheepishly.

“Well, it could help us have an idea on what Twilight may be thinking.” Rarity admitted as she levitated the last few gems she needed into her basket, “Go ahead and share your theories.”

“I was thinking that Twilight may be concerned about how the group dynamic would change now that she has a girlfriend, I also have this other theory, it may not be the most accurate one, but what if Twilight is embarrassed about Starlight?” Spike confessed as he and Rarity began heading out of the cave, “I know it sounds stupid, but Starlight’s not the most… uh normal pony, and while Twilight definitely likes her, maybe she’s a bit worried how ponies will react.”

“The first theory sounds a bit more plausible. Though you might be onto something with the second theory, I doubt Twilight would be embarrassed about Starlight herself, I mean she is dating her after all, but more or less concerned about what it could do for her reputation.” Rarity guessed.

“What do you mean?” Spike asked in concern.

“Well look at it this way Spike. Twilight’s an Alicorn Princess, while Starlight’s more of a common pony who isn’t exactly normal but definitely has good qualities but unfortunately, others might not see it that way. We both know how some ponies are, especially since the whole Friendship Journal fiasco.” Rarity explained as they finally made it out of the cave.

“Yeah, but what should we do? We need to help Twilight and Starlight somehow.” Spike said sadly.

“Well Spikey Wikey, like it or not, we’ll have to confront Twilight on this. Starlight doesn’t really need us to confront her since she seems to want to talk about their relationship, if we can get through to Twilight, I think that would be all we need.” Rarity sighed, knowing this would be difficult for Spike to do.

“Are you sure, then she’ll know I spied on her and was gossiping about it.” Spike said, worried about how Twilight would think of him after this.

“Spike, if she knows you’re doing it out of the goodness of your heart, I think she’ll be less hard on you, it’s not like you invaded her privacy to spread rumors.” Rarity said comfortingly.

“Yeah, that’s probably for the best.” Spike relented with a soft smile, starting to feel better, he did remember something though.

“Though shouldn’t we finish your dress first?” Spike asked curiously.

“Oh yes, of course. Twilight doesn’t have any plans so I think we should be fine.” Rarity snickered, “After all, Twilight may be our friend but we can’t just drop what we’re doing to help her with her romance problems. Well not yet at least.”

Rarity and Spike chuckled a bit at this remark, Spike felt a little better now that he talked with Rarity, even if she didn’t return his feelings for her, she was still one of his best friends.


Meanwhile Twilight and Starlight were playing still Dragon Pit in the castle library, while Discord’s words still were fresh in Starlight’s mind, she still found it in her to enjoy the game with Twilight and push her worries aside, after all Twilight did love her so it’s not like she needed to be too concerned.

“So Sunburst really squirted apple juice out of his snout when his dragon got trapped?” Twilight asked with a joyful grin.

Starlight snickered at the memory, she was currently telling Twilight one of her past memories with Sunburst, she found it a good way to pass conversation.

“Yeah, he was so confident that my dragon was gonna get trapped, that he didn’t even bother to look as he drank the juice but then his dragon got trapped and he spat it out due to shock, it came out of his nose too.” Starlight said before Twilight found herself giggling, that was certainly funny.

“I’m assuming he found it funny afterwards too.” Twilight asked with a smile.

“Don’t worry, he wasn’t upset, just surprised. He found it funny afterwards.” Starlight told the Alicorn, with a grin of her own.

“Ah. I figured.” Twilight said before she began rolling the dice, getting a five. She moved her dragon five spaces with her magic, she and Starlight’s pieces were now on the spaces where their dragons could get trapped, so the mini volcano began to erupt and the plastic lava ball popped out and bounced around the corners of the volcano.

“Uh oh, somepony’s dragon’s gonna get trapped. Should I hold the board down so you don’t flip it over if you end up getting trapped?” Starlight asked with a smug smirk.

“Very funny Starlight. I may find it funny to see my dragon get trapped, but I have matured since then.” Twilight smirked with a roll of her eyes.

Soon the lava ball, rolled down to the space where Twilight’s dragon was, bumping into her piece and causing the space below Twilight’s dragon to open, letting it fall.

“Ahahahahahahaha!” Twilight began laughing before she began to flip the board over but Starlight caught it with her magic before she did.

Starlight smirked at Twilight, who blushed with an embarrassed smile.

“Hmm, Sunburst was right. It is adorable.” Starlight said good-naturedly which made Twilight giggle and embrace Starlight, “Oh this has been amazing.” The Alicorn said, clearly in content.

“Same here. I love you Twilight.” Starlight sighed in content.

“I love you too Starlight.” Twilight said happily.

The two stayed like that for a little longer before Starlight released Twilight, “Well, today certainly was fun, but I should probably head over to Trixie’s wagon soon. I think it’s almost time for me to see her.”

“Of course it is.” Twilight sighed with a roll of her eyes.

“Aw don’t give me that Twilight. I have to make time for her too, besides you know Trixie and I only see each other as friends.” Starlight said with a comforting smile.

“I know, but she acts so needy when it comes to you.” Twilight admitted.

“Well to be fair, given my shifts at the School Of Friendship and her magic shows, I can see why.” Starlight chuckled, “See ya later Twi.”

“You too Starlight.” Twilight said before she and Starlight kissed, after that Starlight used her magic and teleported out of the library.

Twilight smiled before sighing sadly, she loved Starlight, she really did. It was hard to keep that a secret from the rest of her friends but she didn’t know how Equestria would react to her dating Starlight.

Twilight knew how some upper class ponies were, if they heard that she was dating a former criminal like Starlight, she’d never hear the end of it, and she thought that some ponies might share the same views, especially her admirers who would likely be jealous that somepony like Starlight had Twilight but they didn’t.

That’s why Twilight was so concerned with revealing their relationship, she didn’t want anyone to hurt Starlight and if she had her way, hopefully they’d be able to come out without much trouble. Until then, she’d have to keep their relationship a secret.

Author's Note:

And now, I finally reveal Twilight’s motive for keeping the relationship a secret. Hopefully you all find it a sympathetic reasoning as to why she’s so wary of telling everyone about her and Starlight.