• Published 2nd Aug 2022
  • 671 Views, 11 Comments

Hidden Love - Starlight Fan



Starlight and Twilight have been going out for quite a while now, which is great but unfortunately, Twilight’s not ready to go public yet, for she has a bunch of worries preventing her from coming out.

  • ...
8
 11
 671

A very awkward breakfast and visit

Spike was currently getting out of the kitchen with the haycakes he made, he was about to head to the dining room where Twilight and Starlight would be waiting.

Spike was going to analyze Twilight and Starlight’s actions during breakfast today. And he knew just how he was going to do it.

He was going to mention what he heard in Twilight’s room. Spike didn’t want to pry that much but he figured it was the only way he would get anywhere with Twilight and most likely Starlight too.


Meanwhile back in the dining hall, Starlight was sitting next to Twilight, the former looking nervous, which Twilight picked up on.

“Starlight? Is everything okay?” Twilight asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Twilight. I think Spike might be catching onto us.” Starlight told the Alicorn truthfully.

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked.

“He told me you acted too nervous when you were trying to lead him away.” Starlight explained, “And he also seemed suspicious of my behavior too when he asked me if I knew anything. He didn’t say it but I think he knows I have something to do with it too.”

“Starlight, this isn’t good. We have to divert his suspicions. He can’t know our secret.” Twilight said in a frenzy.

“Twilight. Maybe we should tell him. I think it’s time he knows at the very least.” Starlight suggested with a sigh, “Then we can work our way into telling everyone else.”

“No. It’s too risky. I still think we should make sure my lessons about respecting creatures’ different views and opinions is getting through to the students so there’s less of a risk, and like I said, Spike can be a blabbermouth.” Twilight declined.

“Twilight. Other than Cozy Glow, I’m sure most of the students in the school respect you enough to value the lessons you’re teaching them.” Starlight argued in a reassuring tone.

“I know, but… I just want to make sure. You understand where I’m coming from right?” Twilight asked with a sad frown.

Starlight sighed, she could understand Twilight’s point of view of trying to set a good example for the students.

“Alright alright, you make a good point. I guess we can keep it from him a little longer.” Starlight smiled with a roll of her eyes.

“Thanks Starlight. I knew I could count on you. If it makes you feel better, we do have the castle to ourselves since Spike’s gonna be with Rarity for a while, so we can spend some time together while he’s gone.” Twilight smiled back.

“Yeah. That does make me feel better.” Starlight admits happily.

Soon Spike made it to the entrance to the dining hall, flying with the hay cakes on the plate, he wobbled a bit before placing them on the table.

“Spike. I told you to wait till your more experienced with your wings before carrying stuff that heavy. No wonder you took a while.” Twilight rolled her eyes in annoyance.

“Sorry Twilight.” Spike grumbled, though Starlight noticed it seemed a bit bitter.

“It’s fine Spike, but please be more careful. I tend to worry about you sometimes.” Twilight spoke softly to the little dragon.

“Well, I guess I can’t blame you.” Spike sighed with a shrug.

Spike then sat next to Starlight, who looked at him a bit guilty, Spike knew exactly why.

Spike wasn’t an idiot, he never actually tried flying out of the kitchen to the dining hall with something heavy, he made a mess last time he did that.

He actually needed a cover story as to why he took so long, and pretending to fly to the dining room was the perfect excuse. He was actually listening in on Twilight and Starlight’s conversation when he got closer to the entrance, he now knew they were dating and were keeping it a secret for some reason.

“So, what are you two gonna do today anyway? I have my plans with Rarity, but I’m just curious on what you two are planning.” Spike asked in a seemingly innocent matter as they are, he hoped he would get some sort of information out of Twilight so she could tell him why she and Starlight were keeping their relationship from him and the others. If he got it out of Starlight it would probably be easier but he’d prefer to hear it from Twilight.

“Well… I’m not sure that there’s much we will be doing, though I do have plans to help Trixie with her magic later today.” Starlight said with a nervous smile, Spike could tell she wasn’t completely lying but it wasn’t exactly true either.

He did spot Twilight grumble a bit when Starlight mentioned Trixie, he let himself smirk a bit, it was kind of funny to see Twilight get jealous in small doses.

“What about you Twilight?” Spike asked with the same amount of fake innocence he gave out earlier.

“Oh me? Well I finally have a day where I can relax, so I guess I’ll just do that.” Twilight shrugged with a smile, “I’ll probably hang out a bit with Starlight when she’s not with Trixie, but not much other than that, not much.”

Spike let himself frown, though he made sure it looked neutral, he wasn’t gaining anything out of this.

“Okay. Well, I’m gonna go. Rarity might be waiting for me, and I don’t want to keep her waiting too long. Bye girls!” Spike told his roommates and close friends, before he began flying out of the dining room and subsequently, the castle.

Starlight turned to Twilight as soon as Spike was out of hearing range, “Alright. Now that he’s gone, what do you want to do?”

“I was thinking we could play a board game or something, I know you like Dragon Pit so we could play that, but I should probably wash the dishes. Spike normally does this but, eh, he already does a lot.” Twilight answered as she picked up one of the purple plates.

“Oh, I can do them. You and Spike already do a lot for Equestria. so I think I should pitch in a bit, even if it is minor.” Starlight offered eagerly, she felt it would be a nice thing to do for Twilight, she knows how stressed she can be.

“So long as you’re sure. Okay.” Twilight smiles at Starlight before levitating the three plates to Starlight who took levitated them with her magic.

“I’ll go get the game, meet me in the library.” Twilight grinned giddily before flying off.

Starlight sighed in content, even if things were tough with keeping their relationship a secret, Twilight was happy, she was happy, and everything seemed fine.

Starlight took a look at the plates and noticed a difference between them, one of the plate’s faces seemed to be a darker shade of purple than the others.

“That’s odd. Aren’t all of these plates supposed to be the same color scheme?” Starlight asked with narrowed eyes.

The plate’s face soon turned brown and gained yellow eyes with red eyeballs, white long eyebrows, and a chaotic grin she was all too familiar with.

“Oh. You figured out the difference. Very clever. Give the pony a prize.” Discord said with a smirk.

Starlight yelped a bit and her magic fizzled out due to the shock, but fortunately the plates disappeared than reappeared on the table, but now Discord was in his true Draconequus form sitting on the dining table.

“You really need to be more careful with that horn of yours. What would Twilight think if those plates broke? I doubt you’d be getting any action tonight.” Discord spoke teasingly before making kissy faces.

Starlight’s face blushed crimson before she spoke in annoyance, “First of all, what are you doing here? And second of all, me and Twilight aren’t at that level of intimacy yet?”

She and Discord were on decent terms but she was still a bit salty at him for making her time as temporary Headmare of the school a living nightmare for her, and for the fact that he sent Twilight and the others on a fake Friendship Quest no less.

“Just came to drop by.” Discord smiled with a chuckle before his face morphed into that same smirk he always wore, “And I certainly hope you haven’t reached that level yet. Clearly you aren’t ready if you and Twilight haven’t told us all about your very close relationship.”

Starlight looked away in sadness which Discord picked up on, “Oh but you do want to tell the others don’t you? What’s the matter? Does Twilight have you on a leash?” Discord continued.

Discord then snapped his fingers, and a collar appeared on his neck, with a leash attached to it, he then spun the leash around, “Hmm, I don’t think that role suits you.”

“Oh shut up Discord. You know Twilight has her concerns about going public since you clearly have been spying on us.” Starlight rolled her eyes angrily.

“No. Not really. I only spied on you and Twilight because you were starting to act different around each other so in one of the moments when you two were alone, I overheard you talk about your secret relationship. That’s all I really know, I didn’t want to invade your privacy too much.” Discord admitted as he took off the collar and dropped it on the floor.

“Wow. How very noble of you.” Starlight rolled her eyes with a scathing look.

“Surely you must be wondering why Twilight is going to such lengths to keep you two a secret.” Discord floated over to Starlight so they were at eye level with each other, “After all, she has friends who will support her decision. What does she have to hide? In fact I say why not just tell every creature ourselves, and let you get your wish.” Discord suggested with a smirk before he began to head towards the exit but Starlight grabbed onto his tail.

“Discord no! I do want to tell our friends. I really do, but I don’t want Twilight to be upset! She probably has a good reason for why she’s doing this.” Starlight pleaded as she latched onto the Draconequus.

“Pfft. You seriously think that Twilight has a good reason for this. She might be acting paranoid over nothing, you don’t know the full reason do you? She’s just been giving you the excuse that she’s afraid of potential homophobes isn’t she?” Discord asked sternly as he shook Starlight off of him.

“So what? That could be what she’s worried about.” Starlight said in annoyance.

“Oh Starlight. We both know Equestria does not have many homophobes, are you sure it isn’t more than that?” Discord asked as he conjured up a magnifying glass and looked at her with it.

“M…Maybe.” Starlight smiled sheepishly, Discord’s stern frown remained, clearly he didn’t buy it.

“Fine. I also believe it’s more than that, though I’m not sure how to figure it out. It’s a lot of pressure keeping this from everyone so I’d appreciate if you don’t tell any of our friends yet. Twilight should be able to do so when she’s ready.” Starlight ranted, looking stressed.

Discord could see this was affecting Starlight a lot so he sighed, “Fine. I was bluffing, I won’t tell any of our friends, but riddle me this Starlight. How long are you willing to wait to tell them yourself? I’ll let you be the judge of that.”

Starlight looked thoughtful at what Discord said but then he spoke up again, “I’ll take care of the dishes. You should probably go before Twilight gets suspicious.”

As Starlight began heading to the library where Twilight was waiting, she began to think more about what Discord said.

Why is Twilight trying so hard to hide our relationship?

Author's Note:

I had too much fun writing for Discord. Giving him the role of being a chaotic neutral is so hilarious.