• Published 2nd Aug 2022
  • 1,198 Views, 23 Comments

I'd Only Dream Of You - Silent Whisper



Every time Luna falls asleep, her lover vanishes. Every morning, she must find who he's replaced.

  • ...
2
 23
 1,198

Simplicity

And then… we were together. It was that simple, and there was such beauty in that simplicity. There was no need for pretending, no need for Royal Commands or court posturing. I was Luna around him, and that was all I had to be.

The days blended together, as they had before I met my Doctor, but it was a good sort of indistinction. It was the type where I looked forward to each day as they came, and the minor annoyances stopped overwhelming me quite as often.

There had been questions, of course, and rumors I’d had to dispel. A few fearmongering ponies periodically insisted that there was a contagious case of sleepwalking going around, or that the young Princesses were mind-controlling ponies, or that their subconscious had manifested into an entirely different personality that would leave them waking with a disparate lack of quality rest. I’d put an end to a few of the most egregious rumors, and my sister handled a few others, but most of them were quickly forgotten, as the herd mentality decided something else was equally terrifying.

My Doctor said that he’d be more than happy to visit elsewhere for a while, in an attempt to dispel rumors, but it wouldn’t have helped, I insisted. There were always ponies coming up with new things to be terrified of, and if his presence didn’t cause it, something else inevitably would.

Celestia had hesitantly learned to respect my privacy when I met with “mysterious strangers” most nights, though I’d noted that she didn’t do nearly enough to stop the rumors of my supposed promiscuity from spreading. If I had been with anypony else, or any other situation, I would probably have been furious, but I couldn’t bring myself to care what the court whispered. Let them whisper. I deserved to be happy!

The strange parade of mismatched suitors made their way to my wing of the castle each night, and Captain Ferros began to relax slightly more. Even my sister stayed out of my way, spending more and more time with the day court and the love of thousands of ponies.

I was loved by thousands of ponies too, and yet I only had the true adoration of one. That was okay, though. I was happier, every night, and most every night he came to greet me. Some nights, I stayed up all day just so we could be together longer, but during the day I found myself tiring and he could not bear to watch me linger in exhaustion.

But that was okay. We agreed that if either of us had enough, we would walk away. Days and moons passed, and neither of us did. Years passed, multiple years, and I was still happy, and happier still, because…

For the first time, I felt like it could last.