• Published 18th Jul 2022
  • 496 Views, 29 Comments

Sweet Revenge - StormLuna



Thirty years have passed since she graduated from high school and much has changed. Sweetie Belle is far removed from her once girly nature. She is the police chief of the Canterlot PD and has an ax to grind with a former classmate.

  • ...
14
 29
 496

The Deliberations

It was already late afternoon when the evidence was turned over to the jury. When the jury headed to the deliberation room, they decided to do some quick discussions before calling it a day. One of the jurors, Morning Glory asked, "Well the first thing we need to do is appoint a foreman who will keep in touch with the bailiff and judge." She paused before asking, "So who here has experience being on a jury?"

Nopony responded so she continued, "Well I have served on multiple juries back in Fillydelphia so who all thinks I would do a good job?"

Everypony raised their hands and appointed Morning Glory as foreman. She looked up at the clock and saw that it was five. She said, "Well everypony, it is time to call it a day. Let's come back tomorrow morning at eight and remember, we can not watch any news, we can not read any newspapers nor can we discuss the case outside of this room." She raised her voice and added, "To be honest, I think it would be best if we avoided TV and the radio altogether."

The other jurors nodded in agreement and the jurors headed to the hotel where they were staying. Morning Glory was unsure as to what the other jurors were thinking but she was hoping for one thing, that they could come to quick decisions and she could get back home to her family.


The following morning arrived and at eight, the jurors convened in the deliberation room. The first to speak was Morning Glory, "Alright everypony, I think we should get a good idea on where we stand on this. Based off of the testimony and what we know about this alone, who here thinks that the defendant is guilty of the crimes she is being charged with?"

Eleven of the twelve jurors raised their hands and when the foreman asked about who thought Silver Spoon was not guilty, one raised her hand.

Morning Glory began, "Very well, lets get started on this. Alright, the mane that was found at the crime scene, the crime lab determined that it did belong to the defendant. Is there anypony here who thinks that it could have got there by a source other than the defendant being there and committing the murder of Mr. Silver Dime?"

The one juror who believed she was innocent replied, "Have any of you taken a look at the defendant? She is rather dainty and there is no way that she could have tried to strangle the victim in a way that there would be any kind of struggle."

Another juror countered, "While the defendant is rather dainty, she may have beat the victim enough with the brass knuckles that he would not fully be able to defend himself but could still grab her mane in a struggle to get her off of him."

A third added, "Now magic being used to create the evidence was brought up. Do any of you think that such a thing could have happened?"

A fourth laughed, "You're kidding, right? I highly doubt that anypony has that kind of ability in Ponyville, even Princess Twilight and even if she did, I am quite sure she would not do such a thing."

Morning Glory said, "Moving on. Now about the brass knuckles being found under the defendant's bed. With those being there, that points to the defendant having committed the crime. Do any of you think that they could have wound up by other means, such as them being planted?"

Only one pony thought it was legitimate. She replied, "They very well could have been planted. Somepony could have bought those brass knuckles elsewhere, came into town, killed Silver Dime and his guards and then planted those things under their bed."

A second asked, "And how would this happen? I highly doubt those bloodied brass knuckles were there prior to the party that was being held for the defendant. After all, it is believed that it was after the party that Mr. Dime and his guards were murdered. Trying to get into the defendant's bedroom and planting those would be impossible without waking the defendant or her wife."

Morning Glory moved on, "Alright, from what I understand the defendant and her wife sleep in a loving embrace every night and woke up in the same embrace they went to sleep in. Does anypony here think that they could still be in the same embrace even if Silver Spoon went and committed the murders?"

The one dissenter replied, "I honestly don't think so. It would be impossible for her to get out of that cuddle, go commit the murders and then return to bed and wrap Shadow Blast around herself perfectly without waking her up."

One juror quickly countered, "Has it ever occurred to you that the wife is lying? None of us were there so nopony knows whether she was speaking the truth or not and I highly doubt the wife would say anything to incriminate her wife."

The room went silent before Morning Glory continued, "Now about the questioning where the defendant shoved not only the police chief in Ponyville but also Princess Twilight Sparkle. Was this just a matter of her being overly stressed or did she shove them because she truly had something to hide?"

One juror said, "Well given her behavior not only during the questioning in Ponyville but also in the courtroom yesterday, I believe she has things to hide. A pony who has nothing to hide would have been composed during the initial questioning and would have been calm and collected in the courtroom. If you ask me, I think she's guilty."

The dissenter countered, "But she was being put under a lot of stress. How many of you could simply stay calm and collected when you are being questioned and then accused of killing a family member?"

A third commented, "You do make a point but still, a pony with nothing to hide wouldn't behave in such a manner."

Morning Glory moved on, "Alright, now about the financial side of things. The defendant was set to receive fifty billion bits upon the death of her father. He winds up dead and evidence is found that points her to crime. Now many ponies would think that she was wanting to collect that money early and to me, that makes perfect sense."

One juror agreed, "That is a huge amount of money and I could see many ponies willing to kill to collect that kind of money. With that much, she'd be set for life and then some."

The one dissenter countered, "But she was already being helped out by her father plenty. He even helped her open her business and was very good to not just her, but her wife and their children. She would have nothing to gain by killing him and everything to lose by doing so."

Another said, "Yet her mane was found at the crime scene and the DNA of the victims was found on the murder weapon under her bed. Explain that away."

The dissenter froze and she began to think about things more than just hoping that Silver Spoon would be innocent. After a minute of silence being stared at by the other eleven she sighed, "Well maybe she did do it but I still can't help but wonder about that Sweetie Belle pony along with Twilight Sparkle. It is well known that both of them hate the defendant and would likely have no issues doing something to frame the defendant."

Morning Glory brought up things from the questionings, "Regarding Sweetie Belle, she stated that she was in Omareha at the time and given the fact that she freely offered to have both the hotel records checked and her cell records checked, I don't think she tried to frame Silver Spoon. A pony with something to hide would never actually suggest that her records be checked."

Another added, "And Princess Twilight and Sweetie Belle both stated that lives should only be taken if it happens in self-defense. I do not know Sweetie Belle at all but Princess Twilight does not remind me of the type who would go and frame somepony."

A third added, "And Sweetie Belle has just been promoted to being the chief of national police. Why would a pony such as her do something that would cause her to lose everything?"

The dissenter held her head low, "I just really wish that she was innocent but I'm beginning to realize that everything points to Silver Spoon being guilty."

Morning Glory continued, "Now on to the coroner's report. The report shows that even after the deaths, that the bodies continued to be beat and bloodied. Normally something like that is done to make sure that the victims truly are dead although some may simply delight in beating a dead body like that."

One said, "Given what we know about the defendant, I have a strong feeling that she did this to ensure that they were dead and given her past as a bully, she may well have got pleasure out of abusing the corpses."

Another added, "I do believe she committed the murders and I do believe that she got a great amount of joy in mutilating those corpses."

The one who was dissenting quickly agreed, "Agreed, anypony who would go murdering three ponies like this could very well take delight in mutilating the corpses."

Morning Glory replied, "I am in the same mindset." She paused before adding, "Now that it seems we are more on the same page, I want to know if we are ready to come to verdicts."

Every single juror nodded and she asked, "On count one of murder in the first degree, who all finds the defendant guilty?"

All twelve raised their hands. Morning Glory asked, "And on count two on murder in the first degree, who finds the defendant guilty?"

All twelve raised their hands again. She then asked, "And on count one of murder in the second degree, who finds the defendant guilty?

All twelve raised their hands. Morning Glory breathed a sigh of relief before realizing that they still had the mutilating a corpse charges to discuss. She continued, "Now on to the mutilating a corps charges. On count one of mutilating a corpse, who finds the defendant guilty?"

Everypony raised their hands causing Morning Glory to ask about the other two and with them, everypony also raised their hands when asked if they found the defendant guilty. This brought a great amount of relief to Morning Glory as it looked like she might be able to get home to her family rather soon after all.

One juror asked, "So do we determine her sentence or is that up to the judge?"

Morning Glory replied, "In many parts of the country it is up to the jury but here in Canterlot, the judge is the one to do so." She paused before finishing, "So who here wants me to contact the judge and let him know we have come to a decision?"

All twelve raised their hands so she replied, "Very well, let me contact him."


Morning Glory took the phone and dialed the judge's direct number. When he answered he asked,

"Judge Balanced Scales Speaking, who is this?"

"Your Honor, this is Morning Glory and I just thought I would let you know that we have come to a decision."

"Wow, that was quick."

"Well the evidence is pretty clear so when will you reconvene court?"

"Let me get a hold of everypony who needs to be present and we should be able to take care of this at nine tomorrow morning."

"Alright your Honor, you have a great day."

"You as well."

*END OF CALL*

Once she got off the phone she informed her fellow jurors, "Tomorrow morning at nine. For now though, lets go and get something to eat, I'm hungry."

She and the other jurors left the courthouse and headed to the restaurant district. Morning Glory felt a sense of relief that this did wind up not taking so long to come to a verdict on and that soon she would be back home with her family.

Author's Note:

Morning Glory's Dialogue

Balanced Scale's Dialogue