• Published 10th Jul 2022
  • 3,808 Views, 39 Comments

Fire Safety - FrostTheWolf



Fire Extinguishers... a Kirin's mortal enemy... apparently.

  • ...
1
 39
 3,808

A Smoky Turn of Events

In the months after two new friends of hers helped the Kirin Grove, Autumn Blaze was happier than ever before. Not only were the kirin able to get along with one another without getting angry and turning into a Nirik, but things had greatly improved since the day she met Applejack and Fluttershy. Her friends in the village were no longer afraid to speak their minds and Autumn was quite surprised to learn that some of them had the same interests that she did. They liked to sing, dance and share stories with one another, whether it be something comedic or a story of romance.

In fact, when Rain Shine told the village that she was invited by Princess Twilight to come visit the School of Friendship, Autumn was quick to ask if they could join her. Much to their surprise, the leader of the Kirin Grove was actually okay with it. After all, if Princess Twilight wanted kirin from the grove to be future students at her school, then they should take the opportunity to explore outside of the grove they were all familiar with.

Of course, with most common things to ponykind being rather unfamiliar to kirins… the strangest of circumstances can occur.


“Okay, girls. Ready to go out and-?”

When Autumn Blaze found the four other kirin that she called her friends, they were all gathered together near the center of a hallway. Whether they didn’t hear her or know she was there, their focus was completely elsewhere. Like a cat that just caught the sight of a mouse and was stalking it from a distance. Hay, even her friend Spring Glow looked like she was going to pounce.

“Uh, girls? Is everything okay?” Autumn asked, confused by why her friends were acting this way.

One of the Kirin with dark gray-ish fur and a faded blue mane, who she knew as Nova Glow, was the first to speak, “We were waiting outside for you, but Spring saw that… thing across the hall and now she can’t take her eyes off of it.”

“I told you, it’s up to no good! I mean, look at it,” Spring retorted, eyes fixed to what’s across the hall, “It’s just standing there, menacingly!”

It was at this point that Autumn Blaze looked at what it was in question and saw what she seemed fixated on. A red colored canister that was attached to the wall inside of some kind of case. There appeared to be a handle of sorts on the top with a black snake-like tube on the side of it with a label on it. She couldn’t see what was on it from this far away, but what she could see was a small sign above it.

A sign that read ‘Fire Extinguisher’.

“Girls, I don’t think it’s anything too bad,” Autumn tried to convince her friends, “It’s probably something they have here in case there’s an emergency.”

“That’s what we tried to tell her,” one of the other kirin that her back facing towards it, Cinder Glow, retorted, “Yet, Spring keeps insisting otherwise.”

“Yeah, because it is!” Spring Glow snapped, “I mean, we technically count as fire right? So this thing probably wants to… to… do whatever it's supposed to do to us!!”

Before she had the chance to move, another kirin by the name of Autumn Afternoon wrapped her forelegs around Spring to try and restrain her. Yet, Spring was not making it easy, for she was growling and hissing at this ‘extinguisher’ like an angry housecat.

“Look, I’m pretty sure that if we leave it alone and just go about our business, everything will be fine,” Nova tried again to calm Spring down. Yet, with Spring still struggling to break free, she looked at Autumn Blaze with a look that asked for her to step in before they do anything reckless. “Besides, I think Autumn wanted to find one of her friends that lived here.”

“Which one? Me or-?” Autumn Blaze asked, before she realized that Nova was talking about her, “Oh, right. What Nova said. You girls remember Applejack? Well, she actually lives outside of town. I thought that since we're in the area, we can go over and say hi!”

At that point, Spring just grit her teeth and straightened back up, “Grr, fine!” the kirin stated as Autumn Afternoon released her grip on her, “But if I find one of those things again, then it’s going to regret ever meeting me! And that's a promise!”


“Well, ain’t this quite the surprise. Didn’t expect ya to be in town so soon, Autumn.”

“Hey Applejack,” Autumn Blaze beamed as she looked back at her friend. Out of all the times that she had met and talked with the earth pony, this felt like a special occasion. Applejack always told her about Sweet Apple Acres, the giant orchard that was the home of not just her, but also the Apple Family. Yet, seeing it right in front of you was much different compared to hearing about it or seeing pictures. “Rain Shine’s talking with that Princess friend of yours, so I thought I’d come see you. I also brought a few friends with me if that’s okay.”

“Nah, it’s fine. The more the merrier,” Applejack replied as she welcomed them inside the orchard and they began to trot towards the barn, “In fact, ah was actually making some treats. Helping out my sister since she told us last minute that her class has a bake sale at her school tomorrow. But ah’m sure ah can spare a few for you and your friends.”

As Applejack and Autumn Blaze kept talking to themselves, the other four kirin were led inside and sat down inside the dining room. For a moment, they thought that they had a moment to themselves. To rest and catch their breath from trotting all over town and seeing how vastly different the town of Ponyville was compared to their grove.

That was until they looked over towards Spring and watched in fear as they saw her eyes burn with murderous intent… and found her staring at the shape of what looked like a familiar red menace. “Spring, don’t-!!”

“BEGONE, FOUL THING!!”


Moments earlier

“So, the friends you’re with seem kind of nice.”

“Yep. After you helped break the vow of silence from around the village, I found out that some other kirin were into acting and singing as well,” Autumn Blaze told the earth pony as she pulled a barrel of apples off the back of a cart. “We even thought about trying to come up with our own theater productions as a way to share stories.”

“Well, if it helps, ah might know a few ponies that could help ya out. Like give ya a few ideas to help get started.”

“That might help… Though, we’re kind of starting off small at the moment,” The Kirin replied, “Wanted to see how things would go with the rest of the village first before we try anything too dramatic-”

BOOM!

The sound from inside the barn was enough to startle both of them as they hurried inside to see what happened. Yet, when the two of them stepped in, they were not ready for what they saw inside. “What in tarnation-!?”

The whole kitchen was covered in a thick white foam as the broken shell of a fire extinguisher laid on the floor. On the ground, all four of Autumn’s friends were in a dogpile on the floor and covered in the same white foam, with Spring specifically being on the bottom. Spring herself looked satisfied to an extent, before she noticed both Autumn and Applejack looking back at the rest of them.

“What the heck happened?”

“Spring found that extinguisher thingy again!” Cinder spoke up, “We tried to stop her, but by the time we noticed, it was too late!”

“Eugh, this stuff got in my mouth!” Spring complained as she spat outwards, “Why does victory taste so awful!?!”

At Cinder’s remark, that just had Applejack look at her friend with a raised eyebrow. Which had Autumn give the earth pony an apologetic sigh, “I’m really sorry about this… Spring tends to be… impulsive.”

“Ah don’t see why she’d be impulsive about a fire extinguisher. Ah mean, it’s only used if-” At that point, something clicked in Applejack’s mind as she looked back at Autumn, before looking back at the other kirin. “Oh… Oh. Ah think ah see what the problem is.”

“You do?”

“Did ya seriously think that we would use these on you?” That single question had Spring nod her head, before the rest of friends gave her nervous shrugs. “No no, that’s not what we use Fire Extinguishers for.”

“Then what do you use them for!?”

“We use them in case we have an emergency. Most of the time if we have a fire like on the orchard, we have a pegasi bring a rain cloud to put out any fires that spark. Problem ya got is that ya can’t just have a pegasus appear on demand most of the time, so we use these to put out any flames before they start. We don’t use them on living creatures.”

That had all of the kirin look back at her with expressions of surprise, shock and also shame. All of them were pretty familiar with Applejack since she had seen the same expressions on the face of Applebloom and her friends when they did something that got them in trouble. Though, it left the mare with one particular question for them.

“Have any of ya heard of something called Fire Safety?”


Author's Note:

Another silly and random piece after my last random and silly piece. I regret nothing.

Also, to give credit where credit is due, Nova Glow belongs to TheAmazingMrX on Twitter

Comments ( 39 )

“It’s just standing there, menacingly!”

The most dangerous kind of "standing there" they are right to be wary

This seemed relevant:

11296922
the man with the most annoying voice in human history, rip

I watch a video on YouTube about smoke detectors and the first thing I see after closing the tab is this story.

Fire blankets are recommended for dealing with "class N" nirik fires
derpicdn.net/img/view/2022/3/8/2821639.png

Now I want to see their reactions to Fire Hose.

Kirin#1: I don't see anything resemble a horse, or even a pony here.
Kirin#2: Is that mis-spelling? Or maybe the pony was out for a break?

11296922
check out the YTP version of that whole video. I don't know how to do links. :twilightblush:

11297032
This looks like it could be a sequel

Yeah, that’s random.

Very silly and random. More kirin shenanigans is always a good thing. Have a follow.

11297587
Thank you, good sir. I really appreciate it :pinkiehappy:

That was, they looked over towards Spring and watched in fear as they saw her eyes burn with murderous intent…

I think you're missing an 'until' here. That aside—

That was funny! Always love reading about Autumn Blaze. :twilightsmile:

This story brings up a good point.

While Rain Shine's fear of their village burning down was understandable, somehow, it never actually occurred to her to get fire safety instruments. No, her first course of action was "rob my charges of their feelings and voice."

Having fire safety tools would've been a much better solution to the Nirik problem, so it makes sense that Kirin Grove doesn't know about things like fire extinguishers.

I commend you sir for this wonderful story.

11297619
Thanks for pointing that out. I swear, I thought I got that when I brought it over from Google Docs. Oh well.

11297655
'Tis the danger of self-editing. YOU know what you were writing even if you didn't put it down, so when you go back through the work to check for anything that's missing, your brain will fill in the blank on its own because it knows what's supposed to be there, even if it isn't actually there. :facehoof:

11297655
This was a great story. It was a wonderful, funny pick me up at the end of the day.

You could very well be right about the dropped word. When importing things from Google Docs, I have had words dropped, homonyms replace original words, and two part names rearrange themselves. It is as if there is a strange auto correct that runs amok as you import the files and goofs things up.

I laughed, but I must say it's not fun when you actually get sprayed by one (don't ask).

I mean technically she was trying to keep fires safe.

This was hilarious! You have my like! <3

11298105
Thanks Nai Nai! I appreciate it ^^

“Spring found that extinguisher thingy again!” Cinder spoke up, “We tried to stop her, but by the time we noticed, it was too late!”

“Eugh, this stuff got in my mouth!” Spring complained as she spat outwards, “Why does victory taste so awful!?!”

Sweetie, it's not...I mean you didn't...(sigh) never mind, carry on...

Yay, victory.

Delightful story, but shouldn't it be "house" instead of "barn"?

11298320
Why not both, Mr. Cipher?

Lol, why can I see the Kirin acting like this? Why? Good short story, have a like and a follow! :rainbowlaugh:

11298507
Thank you very much. I appreciate it ^^

Delightful story. I give this a like and a follow :pinkiesmile:

Ah, culture shock. At least nothing burned down. This time. :applejackconfused:

This is great story and really funny. I noted thouhg that you used both Summer Flare and Cinder Glow when it should be best to use on of those two. Another thing I noticed is that Autumn Afternoon is actually a male kirin. This is till a funny story and is appropriate for the picture.

11300659
Thanks for catching that bit with Summer. I didn't notice it until now. Just fixed it

Awe this story was absolutely adorable and wonderful to read. Watching other creatures slowly start to transition into Equestria is a treat and not to mention how lovely the writing is! Definitely need to put it into a special bookshelf for easy access!

11301531
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it ^^

Greetings. Your reading has been completed and can be found below. I hope you enjoy.

11316754
Thanks! I'm glad you like it

i.pinimg.com/originals/e0/e3/3d/e0e33dc682380844f85bcf9705448fff.jpg
Oh? You are approaching me? Instead of running away, you are approaching me?

Great story, always love Icey's kirin.

“Eugh, this stuff got in my mouth!” Spring complained as she spat outwards, “Why does victory taste so awful!?!”

:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

That was a good story.

Hmm, I would love to read a less comedic stuff, when they actually learn fire safety. Like fire classifications, what to do in case of emergency, would love to see them try the extinguisher out actually. Never operated one, but I guess it has a recoil? Have them fly into the sky when trying to learn to pull the pin off it. X)

They were lucky Applejack apparently didn't have ABC fire extinguishers available. That stuff melts at 350 degrees and smothers the fire, adhering to the surface of everything and needing some pretty intense cleaning to get rid of it. I can't imagine how hard it'd be to remove from fur and scales.

Login or register to comment