• Published 9th Jul 2022
  • 724 Views, 14 Comments

Finding Yourself In Another World - Jest



Tom lives an ordinary, boring, and unpleasant life. Day turns to night, and the cycle of insomnia continues. Until one day sleep comes, and Tom finds himself far from home.

  • ...
9
 14
 724

Chapter 7

Behind him, the sun was starting to set, its long descent towards the horizon finally beginning in earnest. It would be a while before the world was shrouded in darkness, but not a lot of time before Trixie’s act would start. An act, Tom was confident, would be attended by no less than half of the entire village, or perhaps even more.

It required more convincing than he would have liked, but in the end, he had gotten more than a few begrudging agreements. The people were stubborn and poor, but curiosity was a good sales pitch, made doubly so by just how out of the way they were. It was unlikely that Trixie would ever return, and even less likely that anyone else would carry out such a journey.

So with the promise that it was going to be the event of the year, the reluctant village folk agreed. Tom merely hoped that he had convinced enough of them that Trixie would allow him to join her in returning to Equestria. A thought which remained affixed in Tom’s mind no matter how much he tried to brush it aside.

The urge remained at the back of his mind, reminding him each time he thought it gone that he should head that way. Though thankfully the compulsion never returned to full strength, it was constant, nagging at him without reprieve. Only a firm application of will dismissed it for the moment, allowing Tom to focus on the path ahead of him.

Though shrouded in more shadows than before, it was relatively easy to make out. Allowing the man turned griffon to travel back to the cottage that he had woken up in several hours earlier. The small home peeking out from between the trees not long after, as if called from the forest by Tom’s desires.

It was a welcome sight and one which made the male really feel like he was getting somewhere. The hopelessness which plagued him initially upon realizing that he was stuck here, was abating somewhat. Like the compulsion, it was still there, but distant, blocked off by a wall of burgeoning hope.

Walking past the window, Tom noticed that Gordon and Griselda were speaking animatedly about something. Gretchen was not present, and both parents were talking loud enough that their voices carried outside. Tom wanted to wave, or notify them of his presence, but caught a sentence that gave him pause.

“-we can't keep her here so much as a moment longer,” Gordon declared. “She doesn't know how to preen, she’s referred to herself as a male a few times and for all we know, is a bandit.”

“Do you really think that confused little thing was a killer?” Griselda hissed. “She was shaking like a leaf when you raised your voice.”

Gordon grunted. “She's a good actor.”

“My left teet she is,” Griselda barked. “I’ve seen through every tiny lie that she’s tried to utter.”

“Then you know she's been lying to us,” Gordon declared.

“Only about something small,” Griselda explained. “Besides, you’ve promised her room and board for another day. You can't go back on that.”

“No, I can't,” Gordon muttered. “But Gretchen is sleeping with us tonight and tomorrow she’ll hunt that wolf, pay her debts and go be someone else’s problem.”

“Sure dear,” Griselda exclaimed.

Tom grit his beak and attempted to school his expression as much as he was able, returning it to a more neutral state. Once he was certain that he didn't look as upset as he felt, he knocked twice before turning the knob and stepping inside.

“Hello? I’m back from the village,” Tom called.

“Ahh Tom. Good to see you. I was about to start dinner,” Griselda exclaimed.

“And I was just about to find some more firewood,” Gordon muttered, brushing past Tom and exiting the small cottage.

“Well that's good,” Tom remarked. “My leg feels a lot better.”

“I’ll change your bandages in a moment. I just need to get this pot over the fire,” Griselda declared.

The grifoness hefted a rather large container of soup over to the stove, setting it on the sole burner on the top. With that done, the older griffon acquired a fresh set of bandages from the bathroom and walked over to Tom. Who by this time had seated himself on the cot and was doing his absolute best not to look as awkward as he felt.

“Is Tom back?” whispered Gretchen, the small child’s head peeking out from inside her room. “I wanted to tell her about Nightmare Moon.”

“She’s over here dear,” Griselda exclaimed.

“Just getting the ol leg checked up on by your mom,” Tom added.

Griselda chuckled. “You make me sound like a nurse.”

“Well you are at least knowledgeable,” Tom offered, careful to not use any words which may sound like an insult to the griffoness. “Patient too.”

“Thank you,” Griselda replied as she knelt down next to Tom. “A child tends to stick their claws in all sorts of places they shouldn't so you get rather good at tending to their injuries.”

“Hey I said I was sorry,” Gretchen blurted. “I didn't know that bush was full of pokeys.”

“And what did your father tell you about touching plants you can't identify?” Griselda asked, her claws on her hips as she glared down at the child.

“To not touch it because it might be poison?” Gretchen answered rather awkwardly.

“Exactly, now sit over there. I need to make sure Tom’s leg doesn't get infected,” Griselda declared.

“Yes mom,” Gretchen muttered.

As the small child plunked down a few feet away, Gordon made his return, now with an armload of firewood under a leg. He deposited his load next to the stove before sitting down on the beaten-up couch and releasing a sigh. As the other male relaxed, his wife gently peeled away Tom’s bandages with a surprising amount of ease.

“That didn't even hurt,” Tom muttered in awe. “That stuff really works.”

“We may not have any fancy magic, but us griffons know plenty about herbs and natural ways of healing the body,” Griselda continued.

“So don't let a pony tell you that they are the only ones who know how to heal,” Gordon offered from his place on the couch.

“Interesting,” Tom muttered.

He watched as Griselda finished removing his bandage, revealing a mostly healed leg with only a few divots left. These bumps were painful, but were no longer open, having been healed over by a thick layer of new flesh. Turning his leg over showed that the other side was in a similar state, but required a few more dabs to clean.

“You’re nearly as good as new,” Griselda claimed. “We're going to do one last round of bandages and pain killer though. Don't want you scratching it by accident and ending up back at square one.”

“Definitely not,” Tom added. “Thank you very much, ma’am.”

“I appreciate the respect but ma’am makes me feel old,” Griselda exclaimed.

Tom chuckled. “Noted.”

“So how was the village? Find anything that sparked a memory?” Gordon asked.

“Did you remember that you were secretly a noble from Griffonstone?” Gretchen inquired, leaping onto the cot and staring up at Tom inquisitively.

“Ha, no! And I doubt that very much considering I woke up without any money to my name,,” Tom replied with a smile.

“Darn,” cursed the child.

“Though I did find something interesting while I was out getting familiar with the town,” Tom proclaimed, pulling the tickets out from his clenched fist. “Tada, three tickets to see a magic show, right here in Evergreen and if your parents allow it I’d like to give you one.”

“Woah there,” Gordon interrupted, rising from his spot on the couch. “These aren't for that unicorn that's supposed to be showing up tonight, is it?”

“They are for Trixie’s show,” Tom answered. “I know you may not like ponies but its free, and you could have the other ticket if you’d like.”

“That is quite generous of you,” Griselda murmured.

“Where did you find that kinda money?” Gordon demanded.

“I didn't,” Tom replied. “Trixie was stuck out of town so I helped her out and was rewarded with free tickets.”

The older griffon relaxed slightly. “I still don't like it. Gretchen’s already too fascinated by those hooved critters.”

“Aww come on daddy, it's free!” pleaded the child, who had latched onto one of her father’s forelegs. “You don't have to pay anything.”

“Though if you want the whole family to come you’ll have to buy one extra ticket,” Tom warned.

“I’m sure we could manage at least one,” Griselda offered.

Gordon seemed ready to argue but was met by the pleading eyes of his child, and the soft gentle gaze of his wife. Just like that, all his indignation vanished and was replaced by bitter acceptance.

“Fine,” he muttered, waving a hand in the air. “If our guest went through all the trouble, it would be rude to turn them down.”

“These tickets aren't cheap either,” Griselda muttered, turning the expensive-looking pieces of paper around in her claws. “Why two of the things are about the price of a wolf’s pelt.”

“Now I know you aren't about to suggest what I think you're suggesting,” Gordon warned, his gaze narrowing.

Tom perked up. “I know you may not believe me but I didn't intend on using these to get out of my debt to you. However, I would appreciate it if you at least considered the possibility. I have absolutely no idea how to hunt, no weapons, and no ability to track. If I went after that thing there would be a very very good chance I would just die.”

The larger griffon growled and pounded a hoof against the cot. “You can't go against our agreement. A griffon’s word is their bond, it cannot be broken.”

“Then just kill me,” Tom exclaimed, opening his forelegs. “If you want me dead then at least do it yourself.”

“Noone wants anyone to die,” Griselda interrupted, interposing herself between the two facing her husband. “Let's be honest, she can't fight a wolf and this is at least the monetary equivalent of a pelt.”

“It's a bloody magic show put on by a damn unicorn!” Gordon bellowed.

“It's also one of the only bits of entertainment we are going to get out here until the loggers show up,” Griselda pressed. “And Gretchen wanted to go, didn't you?”

“I don't want daddy to be mad,” murmured the child.

Upon gazing down at those two big watery eyes, Gordon’s shoulders slumped. “Fine, but after dinner, and this silly little show we are done. I want you out of my house.”

“Yeah sure,” Tom immediately replied. “Whatever you want.”

The large male sighed, and picked up his child, pressing her tight against his chest. “We can't afford to all go to the show, so why don't you three go on without me and I’ll finish up the order of firewood.”

“But I want daddy to come too,” whispered Gretchen.

“Daddy can't. He still has work to do,” Gordon replied in a gentle tone. “You don't want to leave the others with cold houses would you?”

“No,” muttered the child.

“Come on, it will be just us girls,” Griselda added.

“Okay,” Gretchen declared a little more confidently.

Tom bit his tongue, resisting the urge to correct the other griffon.

“Now then, let's get the bowls out. Something is smelling pretty good,” Gordon offered.

“Oh shoot. I forgot to add the onions,” Griselda murmured.

As the family began to chat amongst themselves while setting the food out and preparing for dinner, Tom sat quietly. Things hadn't turned out perfectly, and it may have gotten a bit heated, but at least his debt was paid. Without having to put his life on the line chasing down a wolf in a foreign body, in an entirely alien world.

“That was close,” he muttered.


Evening was fast approaching, and all around them, shadows stretched from the many trees. The world may be growing dark, but Tom found himself still able to see nearly perfectly, and his eyes needed little time to adjust. He wondered just how much avian DNA griffons had if they were capable of seeing in low light with such ease.

That was a thought for another time, however, as a small voice perked up from her spot on her mother’s back.

“Do you think she’ll know any cool spells?” whispered Gretchen. “Like teleportation, or how to shoot fire?”

“I’m sure she knows that last one,” Tom answered. “I saw her shoot a giant firework out of her horn already.”

“Out of her horn? That's so cool,” murmured Gretchen.

“Yes, unicorns can do many amazing things, but can they fly like us?” Griselda exclaimed, opening her wings for emphasis.

“No way,” Gretchen replied, shaking her head.

“Can they fight like us? Are they strong like us?” Griselda pressed, slashing the air with her clawed hands.

“Noone’s as strong as us!” Gretchen declared.

“Good girl,” Griselda exclaimed, reaching back to pat the girl on the head. “I don't mind if you are interested in the other races but you must remember what makes us unique.”

“I know,” Gretchen stated.

Tom watched on in silence, a little confused but nonetheless intrigued by the interaction playing out. Humanity knew no other sapient species, save the distant cousins that they killed off during the Stone Age. Now alone with no other truly unique minds, humans took a different path, but what would the people of this world do?

Such high-minded considerations were thoughts for another time, however, and Tom pushed them away. He may have managed to get out of his obligation to go hunt a wolf, but he wasn't out of the woods yet. Directing his attention to the path before him, Tom noticed that they were rapidly nearing town and that others had the same idea.

In the middle of the small village was a small, but sizable crowd of griffons all gathered before a stage. The flat expanse extended from the base of Trixie’s wagon and was held up by several large wooden poles. The unicorn herself was moving amongst the crowd, taking money, chatting, and generally impressing everyone.

Despite the misgivings of the still slightly grumpy griffons, the group seemed eager to enjoy the show. Gretchen especially, with the excited young kid bouncing along with barely contained energy. Even her mother, Griselda felt the infectious tug of curiosity and inspected the small stage with growing awe.

Trixie appeared in front of the trio a few moments later, a wide grin on her face.

“Greetings and welcome to the great and powerful Trixie’s amazing magic extravaganza!” Trixie proclaimed, striking a pose. “Trixie sees that her wonderful assistant has brought with her two amazing guests.”

“Yes, yes, yes!” Gretchen shouted, bouncing up and down. “I can't wait to see all the magic!”

“Then Trixie shan't keep you waiting,” Trixie declared, holding out a hoof. “Hand Trixie the tickets, and final preparations for the show shall begin posthaste!”

Tom handed over the tickets but didn't let go of them initially. “A good-sized crowd, huh?”

“Indeed it is!” Trixie proclaimed. “After the show, you must come see Trixie. We have much to discuss.”

Tom released the hold he had on the thin slips of paper. “Thanks. I’ll see you after the show then.”

“Then I bid you, adieu!” Trixie declared, disappearing in a puff of smoke and repairing on the stage a moment later.

“She's so cool,” gushed Gretchen.

“She is certainly quite the show mare,” Griselda remarked.

“I can't wait!” Gretchen exclaimed.

Griselda bent down and gently took her child’s claw. “Why don't you play with the others for a few minutes while we wait for the show to start? I was hoping to speak to Tom for a bit.”

“Okay!” Gretchen shouted.

The child then sprinted off, joining a small group of similarly aged griffons throwing a ball around. They were being watched by a group of adults who were chatting amongst themselves as they waited.

“So… what did you want to talk about?” Tom asked somewhat nervously.

“I just wanted to say that I hope you don't think too ill of my husband,” Griselda began in a low tone. “He lost the majority of his family to an accident before we moved and is usually much more patient.”

“Why all the hate for ponies then?” Tom inquired.

Griselda sighed, her shoulders slumping. “A group of unicorns had moved to town right before the mysterious fire claimed a good number of his relatives. Without any apparent cause for the blaze, he blamed them for what happened, even though they had an alibi.”

Tom hummed thoughtfully to himself. “I feel like I’ve seen this before. I can recall something about how a person I knew went from distrusting to hateful and eventually acted on that. I hope the same thing doesn't happen here.”

“He just needs time to grieve,” Griselda explained. “He's been so busy with building the cottage, and supplying the town with firewood that I don't think he's given himself space to do so.”

“Either way I wish you the best,” Tom remarked.

Griselda smiled, and reached over, squeezing the other griffon’s shoulder. “Thank you, and for what it's worth I wish you the same. It certainly won't be easy for you out there, but if this Trixie is an honorable mare then at least you will have one companion.”

“Let's hope so,” Tom muttered.

As if waiting for her cue, Trixie suddenly appeared in the center of the stage with a loud bang, a cape held over the bottom half of her face.

“Gather round my fair griffons, for Trixie brings you a tale from a far-off land,” Trixie began, her voice magically altered so it traveled across the crowd with ease. “One beset by a cruel and ancient dragon who had stolen the vast treasures of a diamond dog clan.”

The mare lit her horn and conjured form an ethereal dragon of truly terrible proportions. Though illusionary, the spell was nearly perfect and made it look like the great wyrm was looking down at the crowd. Trixie didn't stop there, however, and with several quick flashes, a small group of armored bipedal dogs appeared amongst the crowd.

“Thirteen brave heroes, and one, less courageous burglar sought to end the dragon’s reign of terror,” Trixie continued, rising to her back hooves. “But first they would need to travel back to this far-off land, fighting monsters both great and small along the way.”

The unicorn conjured images of trolls, goblins, and other creatures of myth, though they were all different from the ones Tom knew. Their proportions were off, their eyes larger, and they were all far more cartoony than the ones he recognized. They were also fictional here as well, which was a bit of a surprise as he merely assumed that they were real.

Trixie continued her tale, using the various illusions to act out battles, both large and small. It was enchanting and felt close to being a movie, only better somehow, as the movie was moving amongst the audience. Children screamed in fright when a sword whizzed past their heads only to giggle when they remembered it wasn't real.

Though slightly like the hobbit books, the tale lacked any reference to higher powers or the one ring. It seemed to be a good alteration as nearly everyone present was enraptured by what they saw. Adults and children alike cheered when the heroes were victorious or held their breath when it seemed like they might lose.

It made Tom want to accompany Trixie even more than before and as time passed that feeling only grew. Right up until the end when the mean dragon was kicked out of the mountain and sent back home. The climactic conclusion was a bit more PG than Tom would have liked, but there were children present so that made sense.

With the dragon’s tail fading from sight, and the sky now dark, the tale was over. Trixie stood at the forefront of the stage, and bowed low, causing a cheer to go up amongst the crowd. Nearly everyone present clapped or hooted in delight, cheering on the magician while she bowed several more times.

“Thank you, thank you!” Trixie exclaimed. “Trixie is glad you enjoyed her magic show. Trixie wishes she could stay longer but all that magic tires out even those of us who are great and powerful.”

Several daw’s or pleading attempts from the younger audience members could be heard.

“Now now. Everyone must rest eventually, including a good number of you,” Trixie exclaimed, smiling down at the gathering of children near the edge of the stage. “Now you better get back to your homes lest Smog the dragon gobbles you up!”

Trixie’s declaration was accompanied by the sound of wings as well as a bright red shape passing swiftly overhead. The ensuing panic from the children was contained by several laughing or annoyed parents. It was the perfect ending to an incredible evening and Tom found himself stunned by it all.

Magic was truly amazing, as was Trixie herself.

“Good luck,” whispered a voice.

Tom turned around to find Griselda winking at him, an already snoring Gretchen on her back.

“Err thanks I think. It was a pleasure meeting you both,” Tom offered.

“Likewise,” Griselda replied.

Turning back to the stage revealed that nearly everyone had departed, allowing Tom to walk right up to the front. Where Trixie was breaking down the stage, and sliding it back into the wagon using her magic. There Tom waited, watching as the unicorn disassembled it all in no time at all.

“There we are,” Trixie murmured, dusting her hooves off. “Now then. Let us discuss matters inside, and away from prying eyes.”

“Perfect,” Tom agreed.

Trixie lead the way inside, pulling open a series of steps and then the door. Revealing a relatively blank, empty interior that had only a single long bed, and a few small appliances. A primitive camping stove, some cutlery, and dishes cluttered the counter while a stack of papers sat on the table.

“Come, sit. Trixie shall make tea,” Trixie offered.

“Thanks,” Tom replied.

Trixie nodded, deftly moving about the relatively cramped space of the wagon with ease. In only a few seconds there was a pot begging to boil and a pair of teacups pulled from an overhead cupboard. With all that done, Trixie plunked down across from Tom, taking up the only other seat in the wagon and fixing him with a firm look.

“So, spell it,” she declared. “What's your deal?”

“Well like I said before. I suffer from amnesia and-” Tom began, only to be interrupted.

“Nah, you such at lying,” Trixie stated. “There is more to it that you’re not telling me.”

“I just really don't want to end up hungry and alone in a foreign wo-coutnry,” Tom exclaimed. “The thought of dying out here is terrifying.”

“That at least isn't a lie,” Trixie remarked. “And Trixie supposes that she could use someone of your talent to help bring in the crowd, as well as pull the cart.”

“So you’ll let me come with you?” Tom pressed.

“Trixie is considering it,” Trixie admitted. “She does have extra food, though you would need to sleep on the floor, and be okay with not receiving much monetary compensation. Trixie has plenty of bits but…”

The pony stared off into the distance for several seconds before shaking her head.

“Trixie has plans for that money and cannot afford to spend it,” Trixie finished.

“That's fine,” Tom blurted. “I don't mind.”

“But-” Trixie held up a hoof. “You must tell Trixie what is really going on. Trixie does not care what you are running from unless that thing is the law and you are a thief or something.”

“I’ve never stolen anything,” Tom declared, holding up his forelimbs.

“You know what I mean,” Trixie retorted, eyes rolling in their sockets.

Tom sighed. “I suppose there isn't much harm in telling you but… you’re going to think I’m crazy.”

“Try me,” Trixie challenged.

And so Tom spoke, telling Trixie everything that had happened to him over the last two days. He told her a bit about humans but mostly focused on his own recent experiences. Throughout it all, Trixie remained silent, sipping quietly on her tea and simply waiting for Tom to finish.

“And that pretty much brings me to now,” Tom exclaimed, falling back into his chair. “This is all either the wildest hallucination of my life, or I’m living two lives at once.”

Trixie polished off the last of her tea and pushed it aside.

“You probably think I’m crazy,” Tom remarked.

“Trixie does not,” Trixie exclaimed, forelegs crossed over her chest. “Trixie has seen many things in her travels, heard many tales and yours isn't even the wildest.”

“R-really?” Tom muttered in shock.

“This world is a wide, and weird place,” Trixie began. “Anything can happen, and though I don't think there are many who may be able to help you there are one or possibly two who may.”

“Really?” Tom echoed, eyes wide with curiosity.

“Luna is the mistress of dreams, and though the edge of her domain lies on the outskirts of Equestria, she will likely offer aid,” Trixie explained.

“Wait, Gretchen told me about her. Wasn't she Nightmare Moon not long ago?” Tom inquired.

Trixie nodded. “She was, though the elements were able to purify her.”

Tom wanted to ask why Trixie said the word elements with such vitriol but didn't get the chance to do so.

“Luna could likely discover the nature of this strange malady as she is the mistress of dreams,” Trixie continued. “Her knowledge of the dream realm and power over it are unmatched.”

“You said there might be a second person?” Tom inquired.

“Her sister, Princess Celestia is one of the most accomplished mages in history, so if it is true that you are from another world she may be able to help,” Trixie finished with a nod. “Though busy, the princesses do their best to help others, and would likely aid you in returning home.”

“That is…” Tom released a long sigh and shook his head. “Wonderful news, truly wonderful.”

“Trixie has decided,” Trixie proclaimed. “Trixie will take you on as an assistant, in return for food, lodgings, and passage to Equestria. She will not be able to pay you, as such travel will be expensive, but you will at least have a place to sleep. Even if it's the floor.”

“That's sure better than the ground,” Tom muttered.

“My thoughts exactly,” Trixie declared. “But before we set out tomorrow, we must give you a new name, one which doesn't stick out nearly as much as Tom.”

“But I like my name,” Tom murmured.

Trixie rolled her eyes. “It is a strange name that will bring with it unwanted attention, best to take on a more griffon sounding one.”

“Can't I just take Griselda or Gordon? It's not like I’m going to see either of them again,” Tom offered.

“No, that won't do,” Trixie dismissed. “Taking the name of someone still living is rude. No, you will need a new name like…”

The unicorn sat quietly, tapping her chin as she stared at Tom. Only to suddenly lurch up in her sat and exclaim ‘aha!’.

“Gluey!”

Author's Note:

If you want to read the next updates for my biggest stories at the begining of the month rather at the end, or want to get a commission from me as well as access to patreon exclusive content, and the chance to submit story requests every month, head over to my patreon!

Join me over on patreon and get instant access to exclusive content and early looks at new stories, patreon only stories and other great stuff! Check it out!
Or just join the discord to ensure that you dont miss an update.

This update was made possible by the wonderful support of readers like you: Ech, Tailsic, Chrisb32, Nightwing, Tonoz, CoreyPeters, Thane, Renegade, Sunset Flash, Kyokimute, Monsterkittie, Louts Petals, Tacocat, Tom, MestreJ, Aang Slyver, Canary in the Coal Mine, Ceepert, Starless, Vi Watch, Facinus, M, Nfreak, Venerable Ro, Blade Tech, Cryil Shadeclaw, John Gonzales, Nightwing, Peter Coulthard, Srgtartman, Thane Kull, Victor, Dale, Dragons' Sheppard, Egery007, Gear change the earth pony, Ivar, James, Kali, Lich Lord Krosis, Menthol Qtip, Midnight Serenade, Mop Hop, Nathan Brown, Octavia Lowbar, Pacsik, Soundtea, Hannibal, Fiamgoku, Grub, Matias Duran, and Steven.