• Published 9th Jul 2022
  • 724 Views, 14 Comments

Finding Yourself In Another World - Jest



Tom lives an ordinary, boring, and unpleasant life. Day turns to night, and the cycle of insomnia continues. Until one day sleep comes, and Tom finds himself far from home.

  • ...
9
 14
 724

Chapter 10

Tom woke not with a gasp, but a sigh, the man staring up at the ceiling for nearly a minute before even looking around. He found Emelia laying next to him, her expression serene as she lay on her back, still fast asleep. Though tempted to check his schedule, and begin rushing off to work, he remembered that he didn't start till mid-afternoon.

A glance at the clock on the bedside table confirmed that it was late, nearly noon, but not nearly so late that he had to rush. So he merely lay there, hands clasped over his chest as he stared off into space, mind wandering back to the night’s events. He thought long and hard about what had happened, pondering their significance and what it all meant for himself.

His thoughts were interrupted when Emelia yawned, and rolled over, staring up at Tom with wide eyes.

“Oh hey, mornin,” she murmured groggily.

“Afternoon actually,” Tom corrected.

“Mmm whatever,” Emelia replied. “What time is it?”

“Twelve oh two,” Tom answered. “Wanna grab some breakfast?”

“Yeah that sounds great but I kinda wanna just lay here a bit,” Emelia replied, yawning a second time. “Shake off the cobwebs if you catch my drift.”

Tom chuckled. “Oh, I think I do.”


Tom plodded through the kitchen, a pair of boxers hanging from his skeletal frame. His loose shirt hung weakly around his shoulders, barely staying on his body at all. He tugged absently on the piece of cloth while he waited for the coffee machine to work, the dull drip being the only sign it was even on.

In the distance, he could hear the shower running, and though he felt tempted to join his girlfriend, he resisted. Embarrassment still burned hot in his chest, and he distracted himself by putting together a modest breakfast of eggs on toast. Once they were done, and the condiments were laid out, Emelia made her appearance, a towel wrapped around her head.

“So,” she began, sitting down at the table. “What happened back there?”

“I just… I couldn't stop going back to my dream and so when we were intimate I just… spoke without thinking,” Tom muttered absently, staring down at his hands.

“You called me Trixie,” Emelia deadpanned.

Tom winced, his shoulders pulling inwards. “I know. I’m sorry.”

“Do you… even know a Trixie?” Emelia pressed.

“Only in the dream,” Tom admitted.

Emelia sighed. “You know what. I think I’m going to take this as a compliment.”

“Oh thank god,” Tom muttered. “I felt so bad I even made your eggs in a smiley face.”

Emelia looked down and giggled at the grinning egg sandwich sitting on a plate before her. “Oh, you goober. I could never stay mad at you. Just, please don't do it again. I don't think there is a worse turn-off out there.”

“What about…” Tom tapped his chin. “I’m voting for trump this November?”

Emelia gagged. “Okay let's not rush to the bottom of the barrel here.”

“Or… I support the repeal of Roe v Wade,” Tom added.

“Stop,” Emelia demanded halfheartedly, the girl holding back a laugh. “I don't know if I can get any dryer.”

“Well at least we figured out a good alternative to blow dryers,” Tom exclaimed.

Emelia giggled. “Why can't you be this funny when you don't feel awkward?”

“My sense of humor is like a piece of coal, only turns to diamonds when under pressure,” Tom explained.

Emelia squirted a liberal application of mustard onto her egg before placing the second slice of toast overtop. She was about to take a bite when she stopped herself at the last minute.

“Say,” Emelia remarked. “What was this dream about anyway?”

“Well,” Tom began, smattering a fine layer of hot sauce over his eggs. “I was a griffon again.”

“Griffoness,” Emelia corrected.

“Yes, right,” Tom admitted. “Anyway so I was back with erm… she who shall not be named, and we were going back to her home country, but it was a long journey.”

“Equestria, right?” Emelia inquired before taking a bite of her food.

“Yeah that's it,” Tom answered. “But uh, she who shall not be named, had to stop at this town in order to buy this kinda creepy necklace thingy. Which didn't exactly work out the best, as a bunch of pitchfork-wielding griffons nearly chased her out of town.”

Emelia swallowed hard. “Did she have to use her magic to blast them?”

Tom chuckled. “No, nothing like that. We just proved she wasn't a thief, and then left. We retired for the night in a nearby abandoned farm.”

The man stopped himself before adding that they had fallen asleep in one another’s arms. Something told him that talking about that particular event would put him firmly back into the doghouse. Since he wasn't exactly interested in sleeping on the couch, he held back and took a large bite out of his sandwich.

“So, that was it?” Emelia asked.

Tom gulped. “Uh yeah. Why do you ask?”

“Well, it's just… you seemed kinda morose,” Emelia remarked. “Like you were sad for some reason.”

“I…” Tom paused. “I think that I was a bit disappointed.”

“How so?” Emelia pressed.

“I was a bit disappointed that I…” Tom hesitated again, biting his bottom lip briefly and staring at his girlfriend.

She wore a sympathetic, concerned expression on her face, and was staring intently at him. There was no hint of trepidation or malevolence in her eyes, just worry, worry directed his way.

“I think I liked being a girl,” Tom admitted after several tense seconds.

Emelia opened her mouth to reply, then stopped herself, and sat quietly for a moment before rising from her seat. She then walked around the small table and pulled Tom’s head against her chest, a hand laying atop his head. Like a dam breaking, Tom felt tears spring to his eyes, and he wrapped his arms about the girl’s midsection.

“There there. It's okay. I accept you,” Emelia murmured.

Tom sobbed hard, face pressed against his girlfriend's pajama shirt, staining it with his confused tears. The flood of emotion didn't last long, and soon he was just sitting there, breathing heavily. Slowly the male gathered his senses and wiped away the last remnants of his emotional outburst.

“Th-thanks,” Tom murmured.

“It's no trouble, babe,” Emelia whispered. “Are you going to be okay?”

“Maybe eventually,” Tom muttered absently, sleeve wiping across his face. “I don't know about right now though.”

“Well let's start working towards that then. Like, would you prefer I call you a different name or use she her pronouns for you?” Emelia asked.

“Tom’s okay for now but…” Tom hesitated a moment before nodding. “Yes, I think I’d like that. Just for today though. I’ll see how I feel about everything tomorrow.”’

“That's… great,” Emelia exclaimed, taking a step back. “Really great.”

“You don't seem convinced,” Tom pointed out.

“I’m not a lesbian,” Emelia replied. “But I also wasn't interested in humans at all before I met you. Noone really sparked that interest in me, so I think… I think we can still work.”

Tom’s eyes went wide and she stood up, gripping her girlfriend's hand. “In that case I won't, just forget the entire thing even happened. I’m still just your boyfriend, Tom.”

“No,” Emelia retorted softly. “You’ve battled depression and anxiety for as long as I’ve known you. If this is what finally alleviates all that then I can't stand in the way of that.”

“But we can't know for certain if it will help,” Tom pressed.

“Yes, but you must at least try. You know how important transitioning is to people like you,” Emelia exclaimed.

“I… I just don't want to lose you,” Tom admitted.

Emelia smiled and pulled the other girl close. “And I don't want to lose you either. Look, the absolute worst-case scenario is that we end up as incredibly close friends. That wouldn't be too bad, right?”

“Still,” Tom murmured.

“Hey, it hasn't come to that yet. We’re still trying things out,” Emelia offered.

Tom nodded. “Your right. I just… I don't know what I’d do without you.”

“I promise that no matter what happens I will never abandon you,” Emelia insisted.

Tom wrapped her arms around her partner and squeezed her midsection. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” Emelia mirrored.

The pair hugged one another tightly, their lips meeting a second later. The embrace ended a moment later before suddenly happening all over again only this time much more passionately. Relief turned to desire, and with the weight of self-deception lifted from Tom’s shoulders, the girl’s chest filled with lust.

“I need you,” whispered the former male. “So badly.”

Emelia giggled. “Trying to make up for your previous snafu, are you?”

“Oh I’m going to make up for all that and then some,” Tom exclaimed.

“Alright, but I just showered so you better knock my socks off mister, err missus,” Emelia grimaced.

“Now who's got something to make up for?” Tom teased, shooting the other girl a smirk.

“I guess there's only one way we can resolve this,” Emelia replied.

Tom grinned. “I guess so.”


Tom collapsed to the bed, her bare chest heaving as she lay sprawled out across the bed, a towel covering her waist. Nude save for that strip of fluffy cloth, the girl still felt incredibly hot and even the cool water from the shower didn't help. The only sound was her labored breathing, as well as the whir of the small fan turning in the corner of the room.

Light spilling in from the hallway illuminated little and was not helped much by the street lights outside her window. Most of the space was cast in shadow, but Tom had long since memorized where everything was. So she was easily able to locate her phone on the headboard, and grab it, flicking it on and glancing at the time.

11:30 PM read the clock.

“Augh,” Tom groaned. “That shift was so long.”

“I’ll say,” Emelia added, the woman appearing in the doorway with two mugs of hot cacao in her grip. “How'd it go anyway? Did you talk to your employers and friends about potentially getting a pronoun switch?”

“I er… sort of,” Tom admitted.

The exhausted girl sat up in the bed just as she was joined by Emelia, the other woman handing her a cup. Together they sat at the edge, hands either interlocked or holding their warm beverage.

“My employers were perhaps the easiest,” Tom explained after a long pause followed by an equally lengthy sip of the chocolatey drink. “Though I guess that's expected considering we live in a more progressive area of a more progressive state.”

“Well that's good,” Emelia prompted, squeezing her partner’s hand.

“Like, so I went into my boss's office and-” Tom began.


“Hey uh, Steve,” Tom whispered, knocking twice on the open door and peering inside.

Inside sat an overweight, nearly middle-aged white man with a receding hairline and a near-permanent scowl. Who looked up from his crossword puzzle, and somehow managed to frown even harder than before.

“Don't tell me you need another day off. You just had one,” Steve retorted.

Tom winced. “That was nearly four months ago, but that doesn't matter. I was just here to ask you a quick question.”

“Make it quick,” Steve exclaimed.

“Would you mind if I changed the pronouns on my name tag to she her and would be referred to as such in company emails?” Tom asked timidly.

Steve blinked several times before releasing a snort. “That's what you came in here to ask me? I don't care what anyone calls you or what you have written on that tag so long as it isn't vulgar. Now get back to work. I think that librarian is back again and I want to see her carrying an entire armload of books when she leaves.”

“Uh yes sir. Right away sir,” Tom murmured, ducking out of the room.

“Damn kids these days, thinking I give a shit about their pronouns,” Steve muttered to himself.


“Well, that's…” Emelia frowned. “Good? I’m not sure how to react to that.”

“It's also about how well things went at my second job, just with the addition of misgendering me a few times and a veiled insult about ‘us transes’,” Tom continued, adding air quotes to the last two words.

“Well that's to be expected,” Emelia murmured. “But what about your friends?”

“Noone cared,” Tom replied with a chuckle. “Heck I think I might have made John twenty bucks. Turns out they had a running bet on who would come out next and it was between me and William who everyone thinks is gay.”

“You mean Willy?” Emelia scoffed. “No way is he gay. Flamboyant sure, but he's as straight as they come.”

“Your that certain?” Tom asked.

Emelia nodded. “I knew someone just like him back home, trust me. He's not gay.”

Tom shrugged. “Either way they were either happy for me or didn't care which is nice too.”

“Well, that's great. So are you going to keep doing this, or are you going back to my boyfriend again?” Emelia asked.

“No,” Tom immediately replied, only to clear her throat. “I mean, no. This was… one of the best days that I can remember and I don't think I could go back, not after everyone accepted me like that.”

“Everyone? Did you tell your parents?”

Tom blanched, her shoulders tensed, and she clutched the steaming beverage with both hands.

“No,” she whispered. “I… don't think I’ll tell them, not for a while at least. They wouldn't understand.”

“Look I know your parents are a bit… distant but you should tell them at least,” Emelia pressed.

Tom shook her head violently. “Nuh-uh, no way. They can't know. They wouldn't understand and my mother… my mother would…”

“Look just think about it okay? They’ll find out eventually anyway and if they don't find out through you then it's going to be an even bigger shit show,” Emelia explained.

“Right,” Tom admitted reluctantly. “I’ll send dad a message in a few days just give me some time to gather my nerve.”

“No rush. I’m just trying to help,” Emelia whispered.

Tom nodded. “I think I’m going to go sit in the living room for a bit. I need to be alone with my thoughts.”

“Take all the time you need baby. I’ll be here,” Emelia exclaimed.

Tom rose from the bed, and walked out of the room, sipping her drink as he moved down the hallway. By the time she reached the end of the hallway, the cup was empty and she placed it near the sink before plunking down on the couch. There she sat, gaze going to the large windows and the city that lay just beyond the glass barrier.

She wondered if what she was doing was right if it was worth the pain that she knew was coming. Then she remembered how incredible it felt to be called, her and to be referred to as a woman. It made her heart flutter, and her eyes moisten with tears, banishing any lingering worries she may have.

It all made so much sense all of a sudden, the awkward teenage years, her complete inability to keep a partner that was Emelia. Her feminine nature, how easy it was to adapt to nightly life as a female mythological creature. It all pointed to the same startling simple solution.

She was trans and had been for a long time. Now she was finally realizing that.

With a smile on her face, she leaned back and stared up at the ceiling her entire body relaxing in a way that it never had. A weight had been lifted, and with its release came a flood of endorphins that made the girl giddy with excitement. Sleep found her not long after, the sudden wave of exhaustion embraced by the girl eager to return to a body that she felt a closer kinship to than the one she had been born in.

Author's Note:

And just like that, you've reached the end of what was written before this was abandoned by its commissioner. If you would like to fund this story, shoot me a message. Otherwise, this is the end of this fic.

Either way, I hope you enjoyed it.

Comments ( 10 )

is it bad that initially when i saw the name Tom I instinctively expected a story involving the boulder? Either way time to check this out

11295355
his sex, while a griffon, is female.

11295356
shit, that'll cause problems for me

11295360
why would that cause you problems.

Just came out, 10 chapters, hiatus, what?

Awesome read, but why already on hiatus?

11295591
11295758
read the author's notes on chapter 10

11295760
Right sorry, still, good read! :)

I couldn't get into this one. The character is...kind of...dumb.
Not much thinking going on there.

Monk

Login or register to comment