• Published 20th Sep 2012
  • 4,920 Views, 134 Comments

Time is of the Matter - munomana



What happens when a guy gets to control time? Trickery.

  • ...
10
 134
 4,920

Awakening

Time is of the matter

Awakening

Light crept though the forest opening as the sun lifted me from my slumber. I awoke slowly, trying to adjust to the brightness that pierced my eyelids. My mind came to as my senses started to function. As my eyes opened, they were welcome to an unusual sight. Instead of the presumed bedroom ceiling, a bright ball of gas gazed upon me, signifying that I wasn't in or near my own room. I felt the ground above me, a soft grass.

I started to panic, not knowing where I could possibly be. 'Maybe I just passed out outside of school? I blame the sandwich'. I looked around, trying to confirm my suspicion. I was wrong. Instead of the welcoming sight of a high school, I was greeted with many trees, all conjoining to make a forest that spread for who knows how long.

'WHERE THE HELL AM I?'

I quickly sat up, but not before being greeted with the popping of nitrogen bubbles in my back. Looking around, I realized that the forest was deep, but contained a small, dirt path leading in one direction. I started to wonder how I could have possibly ended up in this desolate area. Suddenly, memories flooded my mind as if a dam had shattered in my mind.

'Lunch time. Time stop. White door. Bright room. Man named Discord. Proposition. Pass out.' I thought as I retraced my steps. 'That conniving bastard...'

I was about to start moping until I realized something. 'Wait! I have my phone and my other crap!'

I slowly stood up, shaking off the hanging dirt that clung to my clothes. I then inserted my hands into my pockets, withdrawing whatever I could find in there.

Inside held: My cellphone, a wallet with $88 and an ID inside, A pack of Starburst, a pencil, and a pocket knife.

'Well at least I have a pack of Starburst to last-' I was interrupted by a squishy sound produced as I bit into the last of my Starburst candy. "Well not anymore..."

I quickly took out my last lifeline, my cellphone. I quickly slid out the keyboard, unlocking the phone. As I looked on in hope, that hope took a dive-bomb so large, you could hear the splash it made when falling into my stomach.

I had absolutely no bars where I stood, making me panic. 'OH CRAP... I'm screwed...'

I thought back to that man. He must have been the one who deposited me here. I then checked around the floor for anything that could have helped me. He had to have left me something here.

On the floor laid a single sticky note. It was written in a rugged manuscript with what seemed to be a black pen.

The note read: Have fun in Equestria! -Discord

I looked over the note again before realizing that everything had come true. 'You freaking-... wait... EQUESTRIA?'

'What the hell is Equestria? Is it a country? Planet? Okay, probably not a planet, but I've never heard of this place before.'

"Well... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-" I stopped as I was interrupted by a growl.

I quickly looked to my right, but was just met with the rustling of bushes. 'Of course, I'm in a damned forest.'

Throwing that thought aside, I looked back down the path, but what I was met with completely blew my thoughts of reality.

Standing in front of me, was a GIANT monster that looked like a lion sprawled out on all fours, ready to attack. 'Why is a lion in a forest? and why's it so BIG?' Upon further inspection, I saw what else the monster lion had adorned. On it's back lay 2 wings, similar to a bat's. Instead of the normal tail a lion would have, a giant scorpion tail stood.

After a moment of pondering, I quickly classified it as a manticore. 'Well wh- WAIT, WHAT!? Manticores are legend!' My mind screamed at me. It didn't make any sense. I had now considered I was either dead, asleep, in a coma, crazy, or possibly on another planet although the last seemed least likely.

Before I could regain my thoughts, The manticore growled once again, attempting to intimidate me. Without warning, the manticore pounced, making me go on instinct. I shielded myself, bracing for the mauling that was sure to happen... although... it never came.

After a few moments, nothing happened. I wasn't even touched.

Unsure of the situation occurring, I slowly removed my guard. As I opened my eyes, I began to realize what happened.

In mid-air, stood a manticore frozen in time. It hung five feet away, a snarl painted on the beast as it's attack was cut short.

I then remembered back to Discord's deal.

"No. Freaking. Way." I was surprised, unsure of what to do or if this was even remotely real. I needed confirmation. I slowly started to walk towards the mythical creature.

As I reached the side of the beast, I reached my hand up to it's side. As my hand made contact with it's fur, I froze. I could feel the individual hairs of the fur. 'Could this all be real?' My mind raced, unable to accept everything that happened.

After a minute of self-conflict, I came to a solution. I knew what I had to do.

'I need to find out how to control this power and defeat this beast.'

I wasn't sure on how to hurt the manticore itself, so I searched around for any rocks that I could throw. After a minute of searching, I started to get a minor headache along with a fruitless search.

'Aha! my pocket knife!'

I took out my knife as I readied myself to attack. Before I could move, the monster started to slowly come back to life, speeding up for every given second. As it came back to life, my headache started to disappear as well. 'Welp, I'm screwed. Might as well lose like a man... unless...'

I unfurled my knife as the manticore attacked a patch of air where I once stood. Confused, it quickly turned around for a few moments before meeting eyes with me, ready to attack again. As the manticore readied it's stance again, I took a defensive stance.

'Now or never.'

The manticore attacked.

As manticore inched towards me, I began to concentrate. With all of my might, I attempted to slow time itself. I began to imagine the manticore as if it soared in the air as a snail moved along the land.

I opened my eyes. Before me, a manticore flew no faster than a snail.

'Yes!'

I took advantage of this moment and focused on my knife. I charged at the manticore at full speed, ready to puncture it's throat with my knife. I slid underneath it's giant paws before spying my target. My heart pounded as my arm pierced the air, directly towards the beast's throat. Within moments, the blade sliced through. As a headache began to appear, I swiftly rolled out from under and dashed to the side.

Within moments, The manticore returned to it's original speed. Instead of landing on all fours, the beast slammed face first into the grass, clutching it's neck trying to stop the bleeding while also to trying to inhale air while failing at both. It slowly started to falter as it's last breath escaped it, putting the beast to eternal rest.

I walked over to the beast to confirm my victory. As I reached it, I crouched down next to it's head, placing my ear near it's mouth. No breath escaped it. I slowly stood up before taking it all in.

'I just killed a mythical creature... the government would be all over my ass right now.'

I then realized the ability I had gained and how I could now harness it's power.

'Unbelievable... I'm gonna have so much fun.'

After I picked up all of my belongings, I turned towards the forest passage and began to walk.

"It's time to find my way out of here."


I stared around, lost in thought as I traveled along the lush path guiding my way. The sun still shone bright in the sky, directly above my head. I was no forest man, but I could easily tell it was around noon wherever I was, if I even was anywhere.

'This forest is unbelievably green! Wherever Discord put me, he sure had good taste... if this is even real.'

I thought back to everything that had happened so far. The lunch, the door, the Discord, the manticore, and the best of all, the time powers.

'I bet I'm in some sort of coma in the nurses office. Manticores are just fiction... right?' I pondered in thought, trying to set myself straight. 'I KNOW I'm in a dream... a very real dream. A lucid dream? Probably... although I swear they had some rules about them and this is extremely unusual.'

I tried to bring back everything I know about lucid dreams, no matter how little it may actually be.

'Let's see... If I remember correctly, you can't see yourself in a mirror, can't read words, and I think dying in here could possibly cause me to fall into shock. That means I gotta be extra careful, I'm not taking any chances... unless...'

I thought back to the things I knew and found out a few ways to test this dream. Taking out my phone, I whipped out the keyboard and unlocked the phone. What I saw at the least, surprised me now more than everything before.

The date read: September 20, 2012.

'Either that thing I knew was fake, or I'm crazy.'

I thought back to the task on hand and looked back to where I was walking, taking in the details.

'Okay, let's see. Tree. Bush. Rock. Hoof print. Vin- Wait, hoof print?'

I got down to one knee, examining the track on the ground. It was indeed a hoof print, which meant that someone had to have ridden a horse down this path. In other words, I was going the right way!

Looking again, the tracks continues down the path that I was taking. I then trekked onward into the forest.

Until I heard a growl behind me.

'Not more animals... although I'm not sure if a manticore counts as an animal.'

Turning around, I was astonished at what I saw before me. Two wolves made out of wood stood before me.

'Wood? Really brain? My knife won't do shit against these guys.'

I looked back at the beasts, eyeing them warily.

'Maybe...'

I got in a loose stance before starting to use my ultimate strategy.

I started throwing as many stupid insults at them to see what happens, hopefully getting them angry in one way or another. This, did as I hoped it would. One of the wolves stepped forward, growling as it closed in the distance.

'Hopefully this works.'

Without warning, the wolf pounced, showing off it's teeth as it flew through the air, attempting to incapacitate me.

'Don't fail me now.'

I closed my eyes, concentrating on stopping the wolves like I had the manticore. I re-opened my eyes to the delightful sight of a wooden wolf suspended in the air. It had it's mouth open, teeth exposed to the world. Instead of saliva, it's gaping mouth was filled with tree sap. 'Of course.'

I looked around, hopeful of finding what I was searching for. To my right, was a tall tree with many branches sticking out of the sides. I took this golden opportunity to make my escape.

I quickly scattered to the tree. I placed my hands on the lowest branch I could find before pulling myself up onto it.

I climbed branch by branch until I was out of sight of the wolves chasing after me.

'Hmm... maybe I could find a way to hu-' I was interrupted by a small headache entering my mind, telling me to stop.

I focused on the matter at hand and began to think. After a few moments, the headache began to recede, along with the silence held with it.

Below, I could hear the whimper of the wolf as it crashed into an invisible target in confusion. I looked down, waiting for the dogs to realize that I was gone and leave.

The beasts barked around for a few moments before turning towards the forest.

After five minutes of waiting, I climbed down off the tree. I quickly looked around making sure that nobody was watching or following me. I began to continue my way down the path once again.


Earlier

It was a beautiful day in Ponyville. The peaceful town had been partaking in it's daily activities as ponies of different colors trotted up and down the street. Twilight on the other hand, was cooped up inside her library.

"SPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE!" Exclaimed Twilight.

"What Twilight? I'm right here."

"I told you I wanted these books re-arranged in alphabetical order!" She explained.

"But I did!"

"N goes after M, not before!"

"Fine, I'll fix that now" The baby dragon grunted as he walked over to grab the step ladder.

"Thanks Spike. I'm just trying to hurry, I'm late to Pinkie's part-" Before Twilight could finish, A bright light shined through the window she stood a few feet away from, momentarily blinding her.

After a few moments, the light died down as she ran to the glass, trying to figure out what had just happened.

"What was that!" She exclaimed.

"I'm not sure, but it came from the direction of the Everfree," The purple dragon explained, rubbing his eyes while adjusting his eyes.

"Spike, I'm gonna need you to watch over the library while I go get the girls"

"You got it ma'am." Said Spike, forming a mock salute.

Twilight then burst through the door at record speed towards Sugarcube Corner.

"Something tells me Twilight is over-reacting" muttered Spike as she left the room.


'What could have possibly made that light in the forest? It's nothing like I've seen before.' Thought Twilight as she raced past the other ponies, ignoring their stares and shouts.

'I have no clue. The only animals I know that live in that dreaded forest have no way of creating such a light.' Twilight stopped for a moment to contemplate. 'The only reasonable answer is... Zecora!'

Twilight re-booted her gallop as she neared the sweets shop that held most of Pinkie's legendary parties.'Zecora could be in danger. I need to help.'

As She reached the shop, she burst the door open, revealing 5 surprised figures.

"Hey! Twilight! Glad you could make it! Did you see that light? It was like "WHOOSH" and we were like "AAAAAAAHHHH" and then we had to pry Fluttershy off of the wall right after and-" The talkative pink pony was interrupted as a purple hoof was shoved into her mouth.

"Twilight, where d'ya reckon that bright light came from?" asked Applejack from across the room.

"I'm not sure, but we need to go find out. For all I know, Zecora could be in trouble!" explained Twilight. "We need to go to the Everfree forest!"

"Umm... Twilight?" squeaked Fluttershy. "The forest is really dangerous and...-"

"Fluttershy, we don't have time for this! Something in that forest is dangerous and we're the only ones who could deal with it right now."

"I agree, let's go!" Yelled Rainbow Dash.

And with that, all six of the ponies filed out of Sugarcube Corner and made haste towards the forest.


I thought to myself as I walked along the trees, taking in the beauty of the world around me. I hadn't ever seen vegetation grow like this where I came from. The dirt beneath my feet felt soft, the air sweet, and sun bright. 'I wish home was this beautiful. 'Tis a shame this is but a dream.'

I thought back to all of the danger I had encountered since I had arrived. I never got a good chance to look back at all of the good things that enveloped this place. I loved every part of it. 'I wish this could all be real... The wildlife, the plants, the atmosphere, and not to mention this awesome ability.'

I stopped for a second, looking up at the sky. I wanted to check if my phone was in sync with the sun regardless of being a dream, no matter how unbelievable. I reached into my pockets and pulled out my reliable, rectangular friend. I unlocked it and looked. The time read 12:46 PM. I looked back up to the sky, where the sun was almost directly above me. 'Wow. I can't believe my imagination was this strong... if this even is a dream.

I quickly shuddered the thought away. looking back down, I saw something in the distance. Curious, I got back to moving, but quickened my pace.

As I reached the opening, I wasn't shocked with what I came before. Before me was a flowing river. The river was flowing rapidly, making it hard to cross the river.

I looked around me for a stick to throw in the river to test the current. I looked beside me to find a stick about a foot long. I quickly threw it in the river to discover that the current was going faster than first presumed. As soon as the stick hit the water, it flowed away at record speed. 'Well that's a stick in the mud... I'm so funny.'

After mentally slapping myself for the joke, I walked along the bank trying to find any rocks to skip across. What I found wasn't a rock, but it didn't surprise me at the least. As I reached about 50 feet away from the dirt path, another monster popped out of the water.

Of course I was expecting a sea serpent with purple scales, orange hair, and half of a ridiculously fancy moustache. What surprised me the most was the fact that he seemed to be moping about his mustache... in perfect English. 'So this big guy can talk? Wow. I never expected other sentient creatures in here regardless of being a dream.

'Maybe I could squeeze a few answers out of him.' I thought to myself.

"HEY! YOU! UP THERE!"

The serpent quickly turned around to face me. "Who, me?" He took a good look at me before nearly jumping out of his scales. "What ARE you? I've never seen you in the Everfree forest before. Not to mention you can TALK."

"I should be the one saying that... Except I know nothing about this forest," I replied. "but that's not important right now, I need to know, is there anything outside of this forest?"

"There is a town if you continue this way." He pointed in the opposite direction of my previous path. 'Good'

"Is there any way to cross this river?" I asked hopefully.

Suddenly, he started to look sad, then back to moping.

"Oh why must this happen to me!" he exclaimed. "You just reminded me of my beautiful mustache. I lost the other half somewhere on this riverbank. I got it from this mare with a FABULOUS purple tail when she realized I had lost my mustache."

Realizing what he was implying, I groaned in response. "If I find your mustache, will you let me cross?"

"Oh yes! Thank you stranger!" He slithered off back into the water, leaving me to search.

I walked back to the path I was once at. I thought that if I went the other way, I'd probably find it.

After walking down the bank about a minute, I spotted a purple tail caught up in a tree. 'How?' Using my amazing climbing skills, I climbed up and grabbed it on my 5th try.

I quickly ran back to the dirt path and waited... and waited... and waited.

After about a minute, the serpent popped back up. "Did you find my beautiful mustache?"

"Right here." I threw it up to him as his face lightened like a child's on Christmas day.

"Oh Thank you so much!" He started to dance around before placing it on his face... somehow. "Like I promised, I'll slow down the river."

"Okay, Thank you." I replied gratefully.

As the river slowed down, I stopped trying to make sense of this place. I quickly ran across.

As I reached the other side, a thought came to mind. 'Why didn't I just slow the river using my time controlling powers?' I then proceeded to literally slap myself.

After the slap session, I continued down the path, away from the accursed river and it's stupid sea serpent.

The walk down the path was relatively peaceful, allowing me to calm down after all that's happened. I was getting rather... tired for a dream.

Minutes later, I approached the side of a small cliff-like obstacle. In the side, there were a few rocks adorning the side making it possible to climb up. 'This is gonna suck.'

As I climbed up, I realized that this wasn't very easy even though I seemed to be in a lucid dream.

a few embarrassing and might I add painful mistakes later, I reached the top of the incline, sitting back against a rock. I was panting and physically tired. 'I'm growing rather... sleepy. I hope this means this nightmare of a dream is over.'

I looked to the right and found a tree providing decent shade before crawling over to it. The tree was rather rugged, but provided a good spot to rest. I turned on the favorite song I had on my phone before placing it on the ground next to me, lying down, and drifting off to the amazing music of Queen.


Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy all arrived at the edge of the Everfree forest minutes later after having to cut their party short due to a short, but unexpected surprise that emitted from the forest.

"Okay girls, we're here. Be careful and vigilant. We have no clue what we're dealing with." Announced Twilight as they started their way into the Everfree, but quickly stopped as they realized that one of them were absent.

Looking around, Twilight realized that Fluttershy was missing. "Fluttershy! We need to go find out what that was!"

A meek voice emitted from a nearby bush as Fluttershy gingerly walked out back into the open. "But what if it's a big scary dragon? Or maybe even a different monster?"

Twilight face-hoofed.

"Fluttershy, I know what lives in the Everfree, and it couldn't have been an animal. It was probably a mishap at Zecora's hut, but we still need to figure this out. Anyway-."

"C'mon Fluttershy! I really wanna go see what happened! It's okay, if anypony tries to hurt you, they'll have to get through me!" butted in Rainbow Dash.

All of the mares nodded in agreement before Fluttershy spoke up again.

"Okay, but can we hurry? I want to make sure that Zecora's not hurt."

The six mares Then turned and walked into the forest.


As they reached Zecora's hut, they raced inside, forgetting to knock.

"Zecora! Are you okay!" Screamed Twilight.

Zecora on the other hand, literally jumped 10 feet in the air by surprise, spilling over the cauldron that had been used at the moment to heat soup.

"Sorry Zecora, but we saw that bright flash come from the Everfree forest and we thought something happened to you." Explained Twilight.

"There is nothing to fear. No trouble has been caused here." Said Zecora in her Zebrican accent and rhymes.

"But what could have possibly made that light?"

"This bright light sure did cause quite a hassle, but I'm sure the flash came from near the old castle." Replied the zebra.

"Oh thank you Zecora, we would be lost without you." With that, Twilight and the rest of them hurried out of the hut save for Fluttershy who closed the door on the way out.

The mares continued down the path at break-neck speed, curious as to what could be lying ahead. They passed by trees bushed, and rocks. They completely ignored all of the monsters that loomed in the tree line.

Then, they stopped. The lyrics of Another One Bites the Dust emanated from ahead of them, distracting them from their current mission.

"Girls, can you hear that music playing?" Asked Twilight.

"I do... I think it's coming from up ahead." replied Rainbow.

They listened closely for a few moments before Rarity chipped in.

"Can we continue? This place is doing horrors to my mane. We should just follow the music."

"What if it's a trap?" asked Applejack.

"There's only way to find out." said Twilight as she continued to walk forward, the other mares following suit shortly after.

They continued closer, too entranced by the music to focus on anything else, the music intensifying with each step. Soon, they could clearly hear the music as they reached an opening to the path.

What they saw froze them all.