• Published 9th Jul 2022
  • 691 Views, 14 Comments

Coffee vs. Equestria - aegishailstorm



A rather notable group of heavily armed Americans arrive in Equestria. Just as the Griffon empire launches an attack.

  • ...
52
 14
 691

A Talon Too Far

"Sire!?" A griffon barged into the throne room, Blackhawk looked down at him with mild annoyance. "Yes? Let me guess, you're here to tell me of the escaped human?" The scribe nodded. Blackhawk shifted slightly, rising to all fours. " Not the first I've heard of this. By any chance can you tell me where and how he escaped?"

"Well... No. To the best of my knowledge no griffon saw him depart from the city. " Blackhawk clutched his head and sighed. " Alright, you may go now. I'm going to fetch my armor. After that, we march on Equestria once more!" The guards at his sides shifted uncomfortably. They had heard rumors of what had happened the day before. How they had been attacked in the dead of night with no warning and, potentially, even how Blackhawk fled as soon as the fighting started. But then again, they were just again rumors. Nothing was ever really sure within the boundaries of the Griffon Empire. Mostly because of the sheer incompetence of both it's government and its people.

The guards mindlessly followed Blackhawk to his quarters and stopped outside while he changed into his armor. By now the sun had begun to set on Equestria once more. But the forces of the griffon empire were just getting started. Rather chaotically at that. To add to that, Griffonstone didn't have the weather control that most of Equestria did. Wind and rain swept over the griffon legions as they hastily organized themselves and marched out of the city.


Back in Canterlot, the humans were getting themselves ready for bed. They had been going nonstop for almost 2 full days by now. They both deserved and required a break if they were to continue fighting. And so they retired to their guest quarters. And by retired, they just collapsed as soon as they made contact with the beds. With the exception of a few of the veterans, who were used to staying up for long periods of time. Of that select few went out to brew some more coffee for the morning to come. The rest hung out in either the garden or the library. A few of the veterans had even managed to find some like minded guardsponies to play a few games of impromptu Buck Ball in the moonlight. Matt Best and Jared were among them.

"You know, this is actually pretty enjoyable." Matt froze as the the ball levitated away from him, he calmly reminded himself where he was. He sighed, cracked his knuckles, and walked off the grass. "C'mon Jared, lets get some rest." The Air Force veteran looked over at him, " It's been 10 minutes. Are you sure you want to turn in?"

"We've all been into combat lacking sleep before, it's never fun. "The both nodded in understanding and made for their rooms. The Guardsponies watched this unfold in confusion. They had never before seen humans, and so far they weren't quite sure what to think of them. The four of them, 2 unicorns, a bat pony, and a pegasus. Didn't think much of it. Though Matt still had a hard time wrapping his mind around it all. Jared decided that it wasn't really worth questioning, he would
be sure leave that to people like Mike and John. The kind of people that could find time in their schedule for philosophical jargon. Not that he was that busy, it was that he didn't find that it kept him busy enough.


"Are you sure we're going the right direction?" Nighthawk squawked at his officers as the column of griffons trudged drowsily through a snow bank. One looked over at him, " I am not sure sire."

"Well it's not central Equestria, is it now?" He asked with a snarl. " No, no it is not." One of them replied. " But it is somewhere in Equestria, correct?" Blackhawk laughed. " Yes, but not the right part of it!" He he paused for a moment to flex his claw, the snow had begun to numb it. " Why are we even marching? You are aware that our entire army can fly?"

"We started marching, and you never told them otherwise." He grumbled, " Well... Take flight, let's get us up above the cloud line. " Row by row, the griffon army took flight, gradually reforming back into the same formation that they had been in on the ground. As they ascended through, they began to hear noises coming from the clouds. Blackhawk drifted attempted to investigate.

"It's probably just the wind-" His eyes widened as he stared into the cloud. Laying just below him was a herd of dormant windigos. He froze in mid air, surveying the cloudscape below him. Windigos had been the stuff of legend... Up until now, they were missive flying equines made out of magic which fed off emotions. According to those same legends, they were very unpredictable, extremely dangerous, and nigh impossible to kill. Which all fed into the viscera of terror flooding Nighthawks brain. He stared down at the, wondering what to do next. He speedily flew back to his escort and called up his only mage. A griffon with a mixture of purple and yellow feathers. Yellow Claw was her name. She was just as surprised as Blackhawk when she saw the Windigos. " What are we going to do about them?" He asked her. She turned to him with a concerned grin. "There is nothing that we can do about it, they're sleeping, right? Then don't wake them up. Mark them down on a map or something. Make a mental note about it sire. " He grumbled, and hung his head. " Well... In that case, let us continue!" He paused, the mage in front of him was flying in the opposite direction as fast as her wings could carry her. Blackhawk found out why when he heard an ethereal screech rise up from below him. The Windigos had begun to stir, a few looked up at him out of curiosity.

He stared back, a half second later the entire herd had formed a ring around him. An where looking him over, deciding whether or not he was worth the effort. At the same time, a couple of griffons from the formation had grown curious, and decided to go see what their leader was up to, when they saw the Windigos, they left, and returned a few moments later with the remainder of the army, and began to charge, The Windigos bared the ethereal glowing fangs and flew towards the griffon formation.

The battle was over in under 2 minutes, the griffonic forces didn't stand a chance. The twenty Windigos effortly swept over the griffon army groups, lashing out at them with their ethereal fangs and hooves, and magical blizzards. This sent the majority of griffons into a retreat. The remainder dropped from the sky, either injured or dead. Blackhawk took one look around, and flew off with his army. The Windigo's on the other hoof, headed for Canterlot. Blackhawk completely threw aside his plan. The Windigos could have Equestria for all he cared.