• Published 17th Jul 2022
  • 5,572 Views, 86 Comments

Daughter of the moon - Helia_Writes



(Being rewritten) Nightmare Moon was pregnant with Twilight Sparkle when she was banished. How does this change events?

  • ...
12
 86
 5,572

The Alicorn Pamphlet by Princess Twilight Sparkle

The Alicorn Pamphlet by Princess Twilight Sparkle


Alicorns. Those mysterious yet extremely powerful beings that rule over Equestria. What makes them so powerful? What makes them live so long?

This Pamphlet, which acts as an extension or part two of Dr Whoove's interview notes on Alicorns, explains the whats, how's and why's about Alicorns.

Introduction to Alicorns

The Species known as Alicornus equidae is a creature much larger than an average pony and has assets from all pony species. They have the horn of a unicorn, the wings of a pegasus, the strength of an earth pony, and a few more.

This Pamphlet will go deeper into each asset in its own section, as well as the difference between ascended alicorns and natural-born alicorns.

Alicorn assets

Horn

The horn of an alicorn is similar, yet different to a unicorn's. Visually, they only look longer and sharper, however the changes go much deeper than that.

The horn itself is significantly stronger physically, able to put a dent through even gold without damage to the horn itself, this does however hurt the alicorn.

It is also sharper, which along with its strength can pierce through many materials. It also allows finer spellcasting, gaining more control over power and accuracy.

Wings

An alicorn's wings are a lot different from pegasi wings, but most notable is their size. As an infant, an alicorn has wings the size of a grown pegasus pair, but the actual bone structure and membrane of the wings are very different.

The bone structure of an alicorn wing closely resembles an eagle's wing bone structure, while pegasi have a more similar structure to a pigeon.

An alicorn's wing is extremely sensitive, thrice that of a pegasus wing. This is why alicorns will lock themselves away from everypony when preening. The process is also different from pegasi preening therefore only an alicorn or somepony trained by an alicorn can preen an alicorn wing.

Strength and healing

Like earth ponies, alicorns have heightened natural strength and attunement to nature and farming. They also share an earth pony's faster healing rate. Like all other assets, these are also multiplied.

An alicorn's strength can vary based on how much they exercise and train their muscles, but even the laziest alicorns will be able to lift houses.

Their healing factor is slightly faster than an earth ponies, but they are able to heal from any injury due to their immortality.

Other assets

Some other assets alicorns have can vary. Some are unique based on their domain, for example, alicorns of the night can see perfectly in the dark and are naturally resistant to low temperatures. Alicorns of the day are resistant to high temperatures and can breathe fire similar to a dragon.

Alicorns can eat anything, including meat, gems, plants and even metal. Although gems are addicting for an alicorn, and are very, very difficult for them to stop eating them.

Similar to the original thestrals (or bat-ponies), alicorn coats get extremely Fluffy and are full of tufts, especially around winter.

An alicorn is always attuned with a Celestial system, and as long as this system still exists, so will the alicorn. An alicorn can be killed, but in doing so you risk destroying the Celestial system they represent. For example, if Celestia were to be killed, the sun has a chance of exploding and dying along with her. However if the sun reached the end of its life and died, Celestia would one hundred percent die alongside it.

Alicorns are so powerful because of their magic wellsprings are always oceans compared to the mug of water an average unicorn has as a wellspring. Their physical strength is mainly to do with the earth pony magic within them, which is also multiplied in strength just like their magical wellspring.

Ascension and Ascended alicorns

Ascended alicorns are the most common type of alicorn. They are attuned to one major Celestial system, and they link with that system upon their ascension.

Celestia, Cadance and Luna are all examples of ascended alicorns. Celestia was a unicorn before attuning to the Sun and ascending, while her sister, Luna, was a pegasus before attuning to the moon. Cadance was also a pegasus before attuning to Love.

Any species of pony can ascend, but ascension is an extremely rare occurrence.

Ascended alicorns are notably weaker than born alicorns, this is due to many factors that will be mentioned in the born alicorn section. However, ascended alicorns do have the experience of a normal childhood and even adulthood depending on age when ascending.

The ascension process is actually very interesting.

First, the original body is atomized while the host's consciousness is brought to another realm known as the plane of ascension.

The consciousness will then be guided by an existing alicorn through this plane, watching memories of their lives.

After the guide, the consciousness will leave the plane into a newly magically built alicorn body.

A few notes about this process is as this is a new body, this does mean that it is essentially brand new. Meaning physical virginity and other things will be returned if already lost before ascension.

One more thing to note, and this is more for alicorns in general, is genes. You are no longer related to your family by blood. You will now never be related by blood to any living creature apart from the Celestial system you represent. If you beat the odds and have a foal as an alicorn (like my mother, Luna), then genetically you are not related.

Born alicorns

Born alicorns are the rarest type of alicorns. After Discords rein, most information about any alicorns previous to Celestia and Luna have been lost.

From what we know, there has only ever been two confirmed recordings of natural born alicorns. The first, is the creator of Equus and ponykind itself, and the second, me (Twilight Sparkle).

The name of the first was lost, but the information left to us about natural born alicorns was not.

They are powerful. They have connections to a minimum of two Celestial systems.

For a natural born alicorn to exist, it's believed the odds are 1 in at least 1063 by my calculations. It requires two alicorns, explicitly male and female, no magical help or gender swaps, and extreme magic.

Genes in a natural born alicorn work the exact same way as an ascended alicorn.

Natural born alicorns are more powerful than ascended alicorns, in both physical and magical strength. I am unsure as to why right now, but it is most likely due to growing up as an alicorn and being tied to multiple Celestial systems.

I am attuned to the Celestial systems of Magic, Stars and knowledge.

It is thanks to that last one that I know most of which I have explained in this Pamphlet, and explains my fairly quick integration with society as a whole.

Thank you for reading this little Pamphlet of alicorns, and be sure to read Dr Whoove's interview notes to learn more about our immortality and other interesting facts.

Author's Note:

Wanted to get a second small mini chapter about Alicorns in this story. Needed more lore about them honestly.

Also believed I needed to explain why Twilight is so powerful, and how she has managed to get so far into the government and Equestria's society.

After all, information is power.

Comments ( 15 )

finally a story not finished but on going that I love!

Alicorns can eat anything, including meat, gems, plants and even metal. Although gems are addicting for an alicorn, and are very, very difficult for them to stop eating them.

Has someone been reading The Moon's Apprentice? If so, that's a pretty cool place to draw material from. Otherwise, still pretty cool, I like when people describe how they think Alicorns work. The species is just too cool not to discuss.

11528218
Oh yeah, it's one of my favorites. Gotta reference it.

And honestly with alicorns, they did them dirty in the show. Beings that can raise the sun and moon, when it took multiple powerful unicorns before shows that they should be really powerful. Then Twilight, magic incarnate, becomes one and she is beaten in a fight multiple times by a single unicorn? And Celestia and Luna almost never intervene and Celestia even loses against the Changeling queen.

I see too many fics call them winged unicorns and make them literally that, unicorns that live slightly longer and have wings. Then I read Sharing the night and the prospect of powerful, undying alicorns gave me ideas. So the alicorns in my story are inspired from many different fics, and I decided to write down information about alicorns in my universe to inspire others and help others understand.

11528252
Sharing the Night is another great one, I've always personally subscribed to the slightly meta idea of alicorns in the show being bored and just allowing mere mortals to have aspirations of power to collect more joy from crushing them utterly later. Makes Celestia a lot less boring in the show if you think of her that way. She's just patient enough to let Twilight have a go first, and if that failed she would step in and be like "News flash! I'm actually just the physical embodiment of the sun, and there's no way you could have ever beat me!"

11528252
To be fair it's been theorized that beings like Sombra and Chrysalis are alicorn equivalents especially Chrysalis who is canonically over 1500 years old. Celestia's first attack on Chrysalis is actually why changelings have holes in their body, any born/descended from Chrysalis who was blasted with solar plasma powerful enough to change her genetics have holes. After they become changedlings that genetic damage is removed allowing them to be whole again.

If we're being honest I've always had the theory that chrysalis once she sensed that the spell meant to throw them out of canterlot was partially powered by love she let herself and her changelings get thrown out of canterlot by the pulse of love because they would feed off of said love and be fed for a long while. The whole reason that they attacked later was actually because of Tirek removing magic aka the source of the love they fed on when being ejected from Canterlot since that spell was powered partially by love they could have fed on it and possibly have been full for long enough to recover had that damn centaur not removed the magic from Equestria.

this was VERY FUN to read !!

I look forward to more in the future! This was a very creative reimagining of the original series.

Great story, can't wait for more😁

Got caught up. Great story. Looking forward to reading more. :twilightsmile:

Please update:fluttercry:

Also believed I needed to explain why Twilight is so powerful, and how she has managed to get so far into the government and Equestria's society.

Allicorn of knowledge? It's said you can only have 1 or the other, strength, or knowledge, by why not have both? This basically just made Twilight, not only the most powerful, but also the one most capable of winning any battle. I love overpowered Twilight stories.

I'm also curious as to what Nightmare Moon did to Twilight exactly, my guess is she split her personalities or something.


I can't wait to see future chapters, this story is definitely interesting.

Login or register to comment