• Published 19th Sep 2012
  • 10,909 Views, 368 Comments

Twilight Sparkle: Patient #107497 - Twilicorn



Twilight didn't have any friends until Ponyville. Because she moved to Ponyville, right?

  • ...
39
 368
 10,909

In Twilight's Mind

I waved goodbye to my friends, ignoring how odd things had become. Their thoughts were constantly echoing in my mind, and I needed to figure out why.

"Spike?"

"Oh, hey Twi. Didn't realize you were back," he said nervously, his hands behind his back.

"Spike?"

"Uh, yeah Twilight?"

"What's behind your back?"

"Uh... no... thing..." he said, moving backwards awkwardly. Sighing, I magically lifted him up, turning him around.

"Spike! I told you no video games in the evenings!"

"I know Twilight! I'm sorry!" he exclaimed, wriggling out of my grasp. "I needed to beat Captain Destructer!" Captain Destructer? I pondered to myself, only to have a brash voice interrupt my thoughts.

Yeah! He's, like, the coolest pony ever! He's all pow-pow-pow, then bang-bang-bang! she mentally exclaimed, and I could imagine her gesturing wildly around.

Thanks, Dash, I thought sarcastically, then turned to Spike.

"Uh, Twilight? Why were you doing that weird thing you do when you eat brownies?"

"What weird thing— never mind. I need everything we have under Elements of Harmony, Friendship, Telepathy, and... that's all for now. Quickly!" I added, and he ran off. Settling into a hard-backed chair and magically dragging my desk towards me, I prepared for a long night of studying. Spike ran in, carrying a stack of books easily twice as tall as him, and I magically lifted them as well, setting them in a neat stack aside my desk. He ran back out, then carried in a second stack, slightly shorter than the first. This was definitely a long night of studying.

-

"What am I doing wrong?" I yelled across the library, startling Spike from his nap. "I've checked every book here twice, and all I can find is that most users of the Elements end up becoming 'especially close,' that telepathy is 'scientifically and magically impossible,' and that 'friendship is magic!' What am I doing wrong?" she asked again, slumping to her desk.

I'm sorry to interrupt, but Twilight?

Yeah Fluttershy?

What are you trying to find out about?

Why I'm stealing your colors and why we can hear each others minds.

Did you check books on hearing each others minds and losing colors?

Why would there be a book like that?

I saw it the other day... I'm sorry, I didn't want to startle you. Oops, I'm sorry, I'm trying to not apologize as much. Oops again! I'm so sorry, Fluttershy continued, and I sighed.

Stop. It's not your fault. Now, I'm going to look for that book, I said, then trotted as well as my half-asleep hooves could carry me. Searching through the shelves rapidly, I finally found the book.

"The 'Why Can I Read my Friends' Minds?' Manual, with Special Tips from 'Why Are my Friends Losing Their Colors?'" I finished the painfully long title, staring at the small image at the bottom of the book. Who knew? Carrying it back to my chair, I settled in for some educational reading aloud.

"If you can read your friends' minds, you don't need to panic! In fact, there's a good chance it has some subconscious important meaning. Some things that may be causing this include: Fatigue, Insanity, Them Being Imaginary Friends, or as suggested by 'Why Are my Friends Losing Their Colors?', because they are actually a part of you that you created. All of these are equally possible, however, if you believe it to be the second, please ask Spike the local mailmare to contact the hospital immediately. If it is the first option, we suggest taking the weekend off for some solid sleep. If it is the second two options, you need to remember. I need to remember," I puzzled, sticking a slip of paper in the book.

"Twilight?" interrupted a bleary-eyed Spike. "We're out of hot sauce," he said, then collapsed to the ground.

"You silly drake. Time for bed," I cooed, lifting him to my bedroom. More studying could be done tomorrow.

~*~

Celestia looked on with concern as her student seemed to cringe. Curling up into the small bed she had requested for the room, she settled in and shut her eyes, ignoring memories that seemed to rise from the couch itself.

~*~

"Doctor, will she ever be okay?" asked Twilight Velvet, wiping a tear from her eye.

"It's difficult to tell, ma'am. But don't waste your time here. You need to move on," he said, his tone carrying a heavy 'if you know what I mean' sense to it.

"Are you certain? There has to be something you damn doctors can do!" yelled Shining Armor, his voice rising with each word.

"Son..."

"No, dad. Not this time. These bucking doctors can fix her; they can fix anypony!" he exclaimed, stomping his young hoof against the hard floor with a resounding crack.

"Shiny, now is not the time. You can wait in the hall if you keep it up," warned his mother. "And watch that language," she added, this time less serious and more wearily. "My apologies, Princess," she said, and Celestia nodded.

"I can understand," she said calmly, smoothly. That was what ponies wanted from her as their ruler. Calm, cool, and collected.

After that, Twilight's family stopped coming. As if the doctor's words had been a warning to back off eternally. And those foals of parents complied.

~*~

Celestia shuddered at the memory. They still haunted her, and had for five long, brutal years. Years of suffering, pain, and remembrance. Years of resisting the temptation to break down Twilight's family's door and scream at them for not taking care of their daughter. Yell at Shining Armor for becoming a weapon maker, when he could be a fantastic guard. At least he helped the guard. Shaking her head, she grunted. Looking down at the inviting pillow below her, she settled into a light, fitful sleep.

~*~

I wasn't sleeping any better. Rolling over for the hundredth time that night, I finally scowled and got out of bed. If I couldn't sleep, I wasn't going to. Silently slipping down the stairs, I lit a small candle and began to read more of the book. After a few attempts to start, I couldn't, and I began to think.

Why does imaginary friends strike such a chord in me? My friends are real; them being made up is scientifically and magically impossible! The only imaginary friend I've ever had was... me. When I first came to Ponyville, I'd see myself in a different world. I think I even saw Fluttershy as an entomologist. But that was so long ago. Five years ago, almost.

I was thankful the others were asleep, otherwise they begin to have some strange thoughts concerning my mental health, and I knew that it was perfectly sound. Maybe.