• Published 5th Aug 2022
  • 1,007 Views, 22 Comments

EQG: Magical Adventures in Hogwarts: 1st Year - Dalek-Galvo

  • ...
7
 22
 1,007

Prologue: The Magic Begins

It was a calm and peaceful night in the neighborhood of 379th Acorn Avenue. Most of the houses were silent, and not a single creature stirred.

Everyone was asleep, except for a young woman named Solar Eclipse, who was gazing at the moon in the night sky.

Suddenly, a man wearing a brown robe appeared and used a strange device known to the wizarding world as a deluminator to shut off all the light poles around the neighborhood.

As he was doing so, Solar Eclipse noticed the man and went up to him.

"Well, Shining Armor, if you're here at this hour, it must be urgent," Solar Eclipse said.

"It is," Shining Armor said. "Remember when Lily and James Potter were slain by You-know-Who?"

"Yes, how could I forget?" Solar Eclipse said.

"Well, we also know that Harry Potter's son survived that night," Shining Armor said. "But what's more is that this year is Harry's 8th birthday."

"By Merlin's beard," Solar Eclipse said. "So, in about two years, the legendary Harry Potter, the boy who lived, will be attending Hogwarts school for witchcraft and wizardry. Harry will come to Hogwarts when Sunset would've been a third year."

"Oh, speaking of Sunset, where is she now?" Shining Armor asked.

"She's fast asleep in her room," Solar Eclipse said, looking out the window to Sunset's room.

"Oh, before I go, Professor Celestia told me to give you this; it's for Sunset," Shining Armor said as he gave Solar Eclipse a letter.

"Oh my stars, has Sunset been accepted into Hogwarts?" Solar Eclipse said. "Oh, this is so exciting."

"She also wanted to tell you to wait till tomorrow for you to give it to Sunset since tomorrow is her birthday," Shining Armor said with a happy smirk. "I can't wait for Twilight to meet her; it's her first year as well."

"And is this your fourth year at Hogwarts?" Solar Eclipse asked.

"Yes, it is," Shining Armor said. "Well, I must be off. Cadence will get very cranky if I come home late," Shining Armor said as he flew off in his broomstick.

Suddenly, a Muggle noticed the broom and said, "Oh my god, there's someone on a flying broomstick."

Solar Eclipse then took out her wand and silently said, "Obliviate," as a white charm hit the muggle, making him forget about the incident. "It's ok, Solar; what the Ministry doesn't know won't hurt you," Solar said to herself.

Solar then went back into her home and quietly went up to the door to Sunset's room to check on her. All she could hear was Sunset snoring in her sleep.

"Sleep well, my little Sunshine; tomorrow is a very special day," Solar Eclipse said as she went into her room to sleep as well, and like that, the neighborhood fell silent once more.



(The Next Morning)

Solar Eclipse was preparing breakfast when she saw the letter on the table.

Then Solar, with the letter in her hand, walked up to try and wake up Sunset, only to see that her door was locked.

"Sigh, Alohamora," Solar Eclipse said as she waved her wand to perform the unlocking charm, and the sound of the door unlocking woke Sunset up.

"Morning," Sunset said in a groggy voice. "Where's breakfast?"

"Downstairs in the kitchen," Solar Eclipse said. "Oh, I also have a surprise for you."

Solar gave her daughter the letter.

"What's this? Is this mail?" Sunset asked her mother.

"Just open it, and you'll see," Solar said as she couldn't contain her excitement.

After opening the letter, Sunset read what was inside.

Dear Ms. Shimmer,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all the necessary books and equipment.
The term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.
Yours sincerely,

Celestia Constella

Solar Eclipse didn't know what her daughter's reaction was, but when she saw Sunset's face, she was crying tears of joy.

"Happy Birthday, Sunshine," Solar Eclipse said.

"Thank you, Momma; I'm so happy," Sunset said as she hugged her mother, making Solar tear up a little.

"Oh, stop it; you're going to make me cry too," Solar said. "I'm just glad you opened it today because, as I knew Professor McGonagall, she doesn't take no for an answer; the whole house would have been swarming with letters."

"Well, after breakfast, we better head over to the Leaky Cauldron," Solar Eclipse said. "I made boysenberry pancakes."

"Yay, my favorite," Sunset said in happiness as she went downstairs.


After Solar Eclipse and Sunset Shimmer got off the monorail train, they finally reached the location where the Leaky Cauldron was. But there was one problem.

"Mum, I don't see a leaky cauldron; all I see is a stone wall," Sunset said with a confused look on her face.

"Oh, don't fret, I know just what to do," Solar Eclipse said as she got out her wand and tapped on the wall in a rhythm-like fashion. Then the stones started to move until the wall opened to reveal a place Sunset had never seen before.

"Sunset, welcome to Diagon Alley, "Solar Eclipse said as Sunset looked in amazement.

"Now wait outside the Leaky Cauldron; I need to get something from in there." Solar Eclipse said as she went inside the leaky cauldron.

As Sunset was reading a newspaper, she saw someone walk up to her.

When Sunset looked up, she saw another girl with glasses and whose hair was in a ponytail.

"Umm Hello, have you seen an owl anywhere?" the girl said.

"Oh, you're going to need to be a little specific; I've seen a lot of owls around," Sunset said.

"Oh umm, the owl has..." Before the girl could finish, an owl landed on her shoulder, startling the girl. This also made Sunset giggle a little in amusement.

"Oh, Owlicious, you feathered menace," the girl said with an irritated look on her face. "Sorry, this owl has the annoying tendency to pop up when you least expect it.

"Oh, I forgot to introduce myself; my name is Twilight Sparkle," Twilight said. "This is my first year at Hogwarts."

"Sunset Shimmer," Sunset said. "Same for me."

"Hmm, that's quite a logical name to have," Twilight said. "Well, it's been nice having a chat. I have to go to Olivander's to get my wand. See you at Hogwarts."

"Bye," Sunset said as Twilight left for Ollivander's.

Just as Sunset was about to continue reading from her newspaper, she was stopped when a woman in a pink coat snatched it out of her hands.

"You must be a solar eclipse child," the woman said. "You look as...dull as her."

"How do you know how dull I look?" Sunset said in a snarky voice. "You look uglier than my grandmother."

"How dare you, you rude little toad?" The woman sneered as she attempted to yank at Sunset's hair.

"Oww, stop hurting me," Sunset said as she struggled to break free of her grip.

"UMBRIDGE," Solar Eclipse roared as she exited the Leaky Cauldron. "GET AWAY FROM MY DAUGHTER!"

"Aww, so this is the spawn of your loin," Umbridge taunted. "I hope she isn't as stupid as you, you filthy little Mud-Blood."

"Making idle threats in front of a child, your brain cells must have melted with all that perfume you are wearing," Solar Eclipse said. "Heh, even a filthy Mud-Blood can do things that you wouldn't believe your decrepit old skeleton."

Umbridge then started to walk away, but not before making a threat. "One of these days, you're going to get yours, Eclipse, you and your freakish spawn. Your father can't protect you from the ministry forever."

"Oh, I hate her," Sunset snarled.

"Oh, mostly everyone in the Wizarding World does," Solar Eclipse said.

"What is going on here?" a White-bearded man said.

"Oh, Discord, nothing, just getting rid of a pest," Solar Eclipse said. "Sunset, this is Professor Discord, a friend of the family, and your defense against the dark arts teacher for this year."

"Hello, Professor Discord," Sunset said.

"Ahh, I see that you have your mother's politeness; I expect a lot of great things from you," Discord said. "Well, I must be off to the Dark Arts Establishment; I have to go somewhere urgent," Discord said as he left.

"Mom, I like him," Sunset said. "A lot more than Dumbridge."


After getting enough money from one of the Gringotts Bank's vaults, they explored the many shops at Diagon Alley.

Sunset noticed many sorts of characters, such as a girl with rainbow hair running towards Quality Quidditch Supplies and a shy girl quietly leaving Eeylops Owl Emporium and heading towards Magical Menagerie. And a girl with pink poofy hair exiting a joke shop called Gambol and Japes. Even a violet-haired girl is heading towards Madam Primpernelle’s Beautifying Potions.

Sunset had gone to Magical Menagerie, where she got an orange Maine Coon cat as a pet, whom she named Sunshine, from the nickname her mother always called her. She also went to the Eeylops Owl Emporium and got an Eurasian Eagle Owl she named Daydream, which she would send to Hogwarts.

Then, when she was going to get her robes, Sunset saw a girl whose hair looked like leaves staring at a bunch of weird plants.

"What are you looking at?" Sunset asked the girl.

"A mandrake," the girl said. "Don't pull at it; its scream could kill you, well, if it has matured."

"Isn't herbology the best?" the girl said in excitement.

"Oh, my name is Wallflower Blush," Wallflower said. "I just love herbology and plants in general. This is my first year going to Hogwarts. Ok, see you." Wallflower said as she dashed off.

"What a strange girl," Sunset said to herself.

After getting and putting on her school robes from Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions, her books at Flourish and Blotts, her potion ingredients from Apothecary, and her wand at Ollivander's, she then returned to her mother.

"Alright, I think I have everything I need," Sunset said.

"Oh, now you even look like a student of Hogwarts," Solar Eclipse said, making Sunset blush a little.

"Now, you should head over to Platform 9 3/4," Solar Eclipse said. "This is where we will say goodbye, for now."

"Ok, momma," Sunset said as she hugged her mother.

"Have a magical experience, my little Sunshine," Solar Eclipse said as Sunset left her mother's side to go to platform 9 3/4.


After reaching the spot where Platform 9 3/4 was supposed to be, she saw that there was nothing but a brick pillar.

"This doesn't make any sense," Sunset thought to herself. "Mum said that Platform 9 3/4 was here."

"You're having some trouble," a voice said from behind her.

Sunset turned around to see three girls behind her, one with orange puffy hair, one with two purple ponytails, and one with a blue ponytail.

"Just go through the pillar as fast as you can, and you'll reach it," the orange-haired girl said. Then Sunset saw the three girls disappear through the pillar.

Sunset then composed herself enough for her to run through the pillar, and as she did so, she saw a red and black train in front of her.

"Alright, all first-years head into the Hogwarts Express," the conductor said as Sunset was boarding the train.

"Goodbye, Momma," Sunset said with saddened eyes as the Hogwarts Express departed.


As she was reading in her newspaper, she saw an article from Reeter Skeeter, someone she wasn't too fond of.

"Uggh, I hate propaganda news articles," Sunset said. There's nothing good about it."

Then the three girls she had met before came into the room she was in.

"Are these seats taken?" the orange-haired girl asked.

"No, you can sit here," Sunset said kindly as the three girls proceeded to sit down. "Thank you for helping me find the Hogwarts Express."

"Don't mention it," the orange-haired girl said with a smile. "Oh, where are my manners? I forgot to introduce myself.

"My name is Adagio Dazzle, daughter of Deloro Dazzle," Adagio said. "And these are my step-sisters, Aria Blaze and Sonata Dusk."

"Nice to meet you," Aria said with a shy look on her face.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Sonata said with excitement.

"So, are you excited to be going to Hogwarts?" Adagio asked.

"Yeah," Sunset said. "I wish my mother would be there."

"Be grateful that you still have a mother," Aria said. "My mother was tortured and murdered by a Death-Eater named Fenrir Greyback during the First Wizarding War."

"ARIA," Adagio snapped. "Don't tell her that; do you have any sense at all?"

"It's ok," Sonata said. "Both my parents were tortured by the Cruciatus Curse by a Death Eater called Bellatrix Lestrange."

"My father was killed after seeing The Grim," Sunset stated. "But I'm not saddened that much, since he was a good-for-nothing deadbeat who abandoned me and my mother when I was born."

This revelation made the Dazzling sisters change the subject to something better.

"Hey, you want this? It's a chocolate frog," Sonata said as she handed Sunset the candy box.

When she opened the box, the frog hopped out and disappeared out the window.

"Yeah, that happens; chocolate frogs are enchanted," Adagio said.

Then Sunset got out a card that had someone on it.

"Hey, you have Newt Scamander," Adagio said in surprise. "No one has ever gotten him before."

"Yeah," Sunset said. "Oh, my name's Sunset Shimmer; it's great to meet you all."


Later, the Hogwarts Express came to a stop.

"Alright, all students, you will now have to travel by boat to get to Hogwarts," the conductor said. "Everyone, please exit the train and have a wonderful year at Hogwarts."


Once Sunset and all the other students had gotten on their boats and traveled to the island where Hogwarts resided, all the students then proceeded to the Great Hall so that they could be sorted.

Sunset knew of the four houses: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin.

Just then, Professor Celestia came out with the sorting hat.

"I will now call each of your names one at a time," Celestia said.

"Applejack," Celestia said as Applejack stepped forward.

"Aww, honest, and hard-working indeed. Better be, Hufflepuff," The Sorting Hat said as Applejack returned to her seat.

"Rarity Belle," Celestia said.

"Aww, a generous mind, very clever also...RAVENCLAW," the sorting hat said.

"Twilight Sparkle," Celestia said.

"RAVENCLAW," the sorting hat said the instant it was put on Twilight's head.

"BlueBlood," Celestia said as BlueBlood rudely bumped into Sunset, making Sunset groan in anger.

"GRYFFINDOR," the sorting hat said.

"Fluttershy," Celestia said.

"HA, another Shy, oh, I know just what to do with you, HUFFLEPUFF," The Sorting Hat said.

"Octavia Melody," Celestia said.

"RAVENCLAW," the sorting hat said.

"Rainbow-dash," Celestia said.

"HA, another Dash as well; oh, I know just what to do with you, GRYFFINDOR!" The sorting hat said.

"Sonata Dusk," Celestia said.

"Hmm, now this is difficult, very adventurous, but also cunning; hmm, let's see...SLYTHERIN," The Sorting Hat said.

"Pinkie-Pie," Celestia said.

"GRYFFINDOR," the sorting hat said.

"Wallflower Blush," Celestia said.

"HUFFLEPUFF," the sorting hat stated the instant it got on Wallflower's head.

"Aria Blaze," Celestia said.

"SLYTHERIN," the sorting hat said.

"Moon-Dancer," Celestia said.

"RAVENCLAW," the sorting hat stated.

"Adagio Dazzle," Celestia said.

"Aww, you came; just like your father before you, I know just what to do with you, SLYTHERIN!" The sorting hat said in pride.

"Flash Sentry," Celestia said.

"GRYFFINDOR," the sorting hat stated.

"Spike Chernabog," Celestia said.

"HUFFLEPUFF," the sorting hat stated.

"And finally, Sunset Shimmer," Celestia said.

"Oh, now this one, this is very interesting." The sorting hat was puzzled. "You have great knowledge and wit; you would make an excellent performance in Ravenclaw, but you also have a determined mind, and you strive for excellence, just like your mother did in her first year; better be...SLYTHERIN!" The sorting hat said much to Sunset's happiness.

As Sunset sat down with the other Slytherins, she quickly got to know her housemates as the great feast finally began.

Sunset saw many delicious treats, such as corn, turkey, potatoes, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and so on.

"Wow, so many delicious treats," Sunset said to herself. "Well, let's dig in."

She even got to meet the Ghost of Slytherin House, The Bloody Baron, as he flew past the Slytherin table.


After the sorting was over, Sunset followed the other Slytherin students to the Slytherin Common Room. There she saw the portrait of a woman with snakes for hair.

"Password," the portrait said.

"Slug-Tails and Plum-Drops," Neighsay, the Slytherin Prefect, said as the door opened and Sunset, along with all the other Slytherin students, entered the Slytherin Common Room.

"Welcome to Slytherin, First Years; make yourselves at home," Neighsay said.

Sunset Shimmer has now become a student of Slytherin in the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, but what classes and adventures will she partake in next? Only time will tell.

(Will continue in Chapter 1: Welcome to Slytherin, Getting to Know Her Classmates.).

Author's Note: