• Published 17th Sep 2012
  • 8,864 Views, 378 Comments

The DisQord Continuum - ZoidbergIsBestPony



Q will eliminate the pony race unless the Mane 6 & the Crew of the Enterprise can stop him!

  • ...
23
 378
 8,864

Discord and Q

Discord and Q

“Q, What the devil are you doing here?" Captain Picard barked. "We had an agreement! You were not to disturb us again!”

Q, flashed into existence lying on the couch opposite the captain. He was dressed in his typical Starfleet uniform, leaning back with his feet propped up on the arm rest.

“Quite right you are, mon Capitan!" Q sang. "Quite right indeed. However, this time it is you who are disturbing me,” Q's face sported a smile spread wide like a cat who knew exactly where the canary had mysteriously run off to. “You see, this planet is under observation by the Q Continuum, and you decided to pay us a visit for a change.”

“Why would you be observing this planet, Q?” Picard inquired of the infuriating being lying before him. “What possible interest could it serve for the Continuum?”

Q swung his feet around to the floor. Standing upright he replied, “That’s none of your concern!” His demeanor had changed. His smile was still as wide as ever, but there was something behind his eyes that made the captain wary. He knew Q was being less cavalier and with a seriousness that made him think twice about the situation.

“If you are here to observe, then we share in that objective,” Picard spoke delicately whilst trying to derive as much information as he could. “Perhaps we could…”

“Perhaps not, my dear captain,” Q interrupted. “I’d warn you to leave, but we both know you could never resist the temptation of exploration and possible danger!”

“What do you mean ‘possible danger?’” Picard asked, knowing already that anything with Q meant danger.

“Why Captain… where would be the fun if I just told you?” Q responded. “But I should stress your presence will have, shall we say, consequences. Leave, Captain. Get your people back to the ship and leave.” Q still had a smile on his face that suggested he was deliberately hiding something.

“You know we won’t just turn tail and run,” Picard said, standing his ground. “We are explorers, and we will not be bullied around! We have as much of a right to observe the unusual phenomena occurring in this system as you do, which I assume is the reason you are here.”

“So you think I’m here because a few laws of physics are being bent around a bit? …Hardly.” Q had now returned to his usual flamboyant self. “Physics are just laws you humans and others like you are bound to. Like a government. It keeps you in line. The beings before you don’t have any need to follow such a mundane path. They are destined for something much greater.”

“Greater you say?” Picard had been listening patiently to Q’s rant, but that last line centered his thoughts. “Are you saying these creatures don’t have to follow the laws of physics?”

Q’s face was unreadable. He continued on as though he hadn’t even heard the captain. “Very well Jean-Luc, I shall let you stay. But let me remind you again. You’re interference here will have consequences.” Before Picard could inquire further, Q had vanished.

Leaving his tea behind to go cold, Captain Picard left his Ready-Room and headed straight onto the bridge. Opening a channel on his communicator, the captain gave the order: “All Senior Staff including those in the landing party: report to the briefing room immediately. We have unexpected company.”

* * *

Several Nights Earlier...

Lightning flashed as a dark figure strolled along through the castle gardens. It had been raining heavily only an hour before, leaving the grass damp and the ground soft. The rain had now diminished to a cool mist that made it difficult to see more than a few yards away.

Walking along the rows of statues, the figure ignored them all save for one. A tall statue of a very strange creature stood in the center of the garden. The creature looked as though it was made of parts of many different creatures ripped into pieces then sewn back together into a Frankenstein’s monster. It was also unusual in that it was the only statue in the garden that required a guard to protect it.

The guard stood at attention, his eyes darting back and forth, looking for any signs of trouble. He wore a complete suit of armor with a single horn protruding from his helmet. He held a single spear with his front right hoof close to his chest. The dark figure walked right up to the statue as though the guard was not even there.

“Halt! Who goes there?” the guard called to the mysterious stranger, who appeared to be walking on only two legs.

The stranger said nothing.

“I must insist you identify yourself! If you do not, I will be forced to arrest you for trespassing on the royal grounds!” The guard had now lowered his spear towards the intruder, who still remained quiet.

The guard’s horn started to glow a bright blue. He lowered it towards the dark figure, who raised his front hoof in return. The stranger's hoof was unlike anything the guard had ever seen. It appeared to have digits stemming from the end. Before he could get a better look, the guard collapsed to the ground unconscious. He would awaken in a few hours remembering nothing of what he had seen.

“Well, well, well…” spoke the dark figure to the statue. “My how the mighty have fallen… Q!”

The statue said nothing.

“Or do you prefer to be called ‘Discord’ now? And such a face you’re making! You always were so melodramatic.”

The statue continued to say nothing.

“I warned you didn’t I? I said, ‘Be careful, Q'. 'These beings are not pushovers like simple humans, Q.’ But would you listen?... No.”

The figure waved his hand toward the statue whose face had suddenly been reanimated. It was no longer made of marble but living flesh; contrary to the rest of his stone body.

“Oh ha ha, Q.” said the statue. “Get me out of this thing already!”

The mysterious stranger stepped out into a beam of moonlight that was poking its way through the dark storm clouds. He lowered his hood allowing his slick blond hair to reflect an almost silver glow in the light.

A member of the Q Continuum, this blonde-haired Q had been sent there to free their brethren Q, locked away in the statue before him. The Q within the statue was most well known as the expert on humans among the Continuum. The blonde Q was holding back a smile, but it was beginning to crack.

“Pfft… pff ha ha! I can’t believe you let a bunch of ponies seal you away in a statue! Ha!”

“Look, I needed to test their current abilities, and I think I did just that!” said the Q in the statue. “Now let me out so we can end this pathetic species already!”

“Not so fast, Q," the blond Q quickly interjected. "The Continuum feels this species may be a real threat to the Q. However, they also show a unique ability to contain their power. They do not appear to use their abilities for power, greed, or war. We need to see if the species as a people are a threat to the Continuum and not just their abilities.”

“And locking me away in a statue, to rot away in a garden, doesn’t show that?” The face on the statue squirmed and struggled to free the rest of its body.

“No. It doesn’t,” said the blond Q, “but it would seem an opportunity has presented itself. The Enterprise is heading for this region of space. Perhaps you could utilize their presence to… provoke… a situation?”

Both Q started grinning together. “Oh you know me too well, Q. I always enjoy seeing my favorite starship captain.”

The blond Q reanimated the rest of the statue. Discord stepped off the pedestal onto the soft grass. “This is going to be so much fun,” he said as his shape began to contort and transform. Where Discord had been standing a moment before, there now stood a familiar figure in a Starfleet uniform. As the pair began walking away, the blond Q said, “Just remember, Q. This isn’t just some random species to be toyed with. Any species related to the Q, can kill the Q!”

With that, the two Q vanished from the castle gardens leaving an empty pedestal and a very sleepy and confused guard behind.

* * *

“Aha!” cried an overly enthusiastic Pinkie Pie. “I think I know who’d dun dooded it!” The other five ponies looked at Pinkie half seriously, half bemusedly. Pinkie Pie, who was now wearing her Sherlock Hooves Hat and holding a bubble pipe, was circling around the empty pedestal. Her eyes darted quickly back and forth as though she would be attacked at any moment… by a flying pie!

“Well?” asked Rainbow Dash, staring at Pinkie Pie, trying to see whatever it was she could see but to no avail. “What do you see?”

Pinkie jerked her head up with a smile of pride and accomplishment.

“It was none other than…”

They all leaned in closer.

“Than…”

They leaned in more.

“Professor Apple! In the orchard! With the Apple Smasher!”

The leaning ponies all fell over on top of one another having heard such a ridiculous postulation. Nearby, a very startled colt, with a green apple cutie mark wearing glasses started to look around nervous and confused.

“Pinkie Pie, we've talked about this,” Twilight said when she recovered herself from the ground. She walked over toward the place Pinkie was standing. “We gather the clues first, before making accusations. Right?”

“Okie-Dokie Lokie, Twi,” came Pinkie’s response.

“Now,” Twilight continued, “the first things we should look for are any out-of-place hoof-prints. The guards said no one has been allowed to walk near the pedestal since the statue went missing.

The sun was shining down on the Castle Gardens. There were only a few small clouds drifting listlessly across the sky. After heading from the train station to meet with the princess, each pony took their corresponding Element of Harmony from the gem-encrusted case they were kept in. Rarity, still wanting to get her hooves on that beautiful chest, started to try to pack it into her bag before putting it back after the glare Twilight had given her. The princess provided them with all the details her guards had given to her and sent them off to have a look in the castle gardens to see what they might uncover.

Grabbing the magnifying glass from Pinkie, who was using it to make her eye bigger and smaller in the lens while making a “WooOOOh WOOooh” sound, Twilight started to look at the ground for any unusual tracks.

“Hey everypony, come over here and look at this,” Twilight said, looking at the ground a few yards away from the pedestal. “Look at these bizarre tracks. I’ve never seen anything like them. It looks as though something other than a pony was here. They walked up to the statue and…” Twilight continued to speak, following the tracks with the magnifying glass as the others walked behind her looking at the tracks.

Fluttershy stayed towards the back of the group. She started quivering in fear upon hearing this news. “N-N-N-o-o-t-t-t a-a-a p-p-pony?” she stuttered.

“Yes,” Twilight replied. “In fact, I’ve never seen these tracks before. They appear to make two grooves in the ground with each hoof: one long and oval, with the other behind it, like half of a circle. They walk right up to the pedestal and stop. Then…it looks like…Oh no!” Twilight turned a shade paler at what she saw.

The other ponies looked at the spot she was looking at directly in front of the pedestal until they could see it too and gasped in unison. On the ground next to the pedestal, lay two distinct prints: one hoof-print, one dragon’s footprint.

“Discord’s Tracks!” they all cried.

Shaking her head to regain her focus, Twilight resumed her investigation, closely examining the prints in the ground. “It looks like he was freed by whomever made this first set of prints, and then they walked off together, but…” Twilight was now even more confused.

While she continued to deduce what had happened, Rarity busied herself by putting on a scarf. Rainbow Dash and Applejack remained glued to Twilight's investigation. Fluttershy was so terrified now she decided to blend in with the trees so they would think she was one of them. Pinkie Pie on the other hand seemed to be strangely happy. Her head kept looking up at the sky with her mouth open and her tongue swaying back and forth. She was apparently waiting for the cotton candy clouds that rained chocolate milk to reappear over her eagerly awaiting oral cavity.

“I don’t believe this!” Twilight exclaimed.

Applejack, who saw it too, also commented, “I don’ reckon I never seen tracks do that before.”

Rainbow Dash, who wasn’t much for details, still couldn’t see what the pair of them were staring at. “What?" she asked. "What is it?”

“Discord’s prints… they appear to change as he walks away from the pedestal," Twilight explained "They seem to change into the same unknown shape as the prints of the creature that freed him. And then over here…”

Twilight walked a few yards further away from the pedestal and pointed again. “Over here, both sets of tracks just stop. This patch here is still muddy from the rain earlier this week. How could the tracks just end here?”

It was Fluttershy who seemed to have an answer for that. Poking her head out from behind one of the trees she said, “Um… Maybe they flew away?”

Twilight looked over at Fluttershy, reading her face. “Fluttershy you’re a genius!” she proclaimed. “But then that means the trail ends here. Where do we look now? We can’t just sit around waiting for him to start spreading chaos throughout Equestria again, but I’m shocked he hasn’t already done so now that he’s free!”

“Maybe he’s changed since he was frozen in that statue,” Rarity chimed in. “Maybe he no longer wants to bring chaos to everypony.”

Shaking her head, Twilight said, “Somehow I think getting Discord to stop looking for chaos, would be like getting Pinkie Pie to give up cupcakes!” She looked over toward Pinkie Pie, who had somehow found, and was eating, a cupcake despite not having carried any bags with her to the garden. For some unknown reason, Rainbow Dash flinched as Pinkie took a big bite.

“Well since Pinkie Pie has already started chowin’ down, I reckon we should probably break for lunch too,” Applejack said. “No sense getting’ everypony all worked up on a empty stomach now. How ‘bout we go relax over by those there apple trees. Might help us think a' somethin’.”

Rainbow Dash became very excited at the idea of food as she hovered over the group. “Sweet! I’m starving. What do we have for lunch?”

Twilight, used her magic to take out several sandwiches from her bag as Rarity gently laid a white cloth sheet with decorative patterns knitted into it onto the grass.

“I brought dandelion sandwiches,” Twilight said. “And Fluttershy brought salad.” Rainbow Dash zoomed into the blanket instantly snatching up one of the sandwiches. The rest of the group gathered around the shade of the apple tree and began to eat their lunch.

As lunch began to wind down, Applejack said, “That were some great sandwiches and salad there Twi, Fluttershy. How ‘bout I rustle us up some apples for dessert?”

“That’s a great idea!” Twilight said.

Applejack positioned her back to the tree, readying to buck some apples down from the branches above them. “Alright everypony, mind your heads. Don’ wan’ an apple knocking you on your noggins now. Hi-yah!” she cried, kicking her back legs hard into the trunk of the tree.

Each pony caught an apple that fell from the tree except for one. Fluttershy, who was sharing some of her salad with a local Canterlot bunny, missed the announcement and wasn’t paying attention. But instead of an apple, something much larger and heavier fell from the tree and struck Fluttershy right in the head…