• Published 17th Sep 2012
  • 17,402 Views, 537 Comments

Monster or Mother? - Hivemind



How could one love another if they could only live by evil? Queen Chrysalis bears a foal, and in their species current state, how could she care for such a delicate creature?

  • ...
32
 537
 17,402

Jericho

“I have achieved what you failed to do so very long ago!” The commander vented its fury, slamming its hooves into the dirt floor. “You refused to save us. You did nothing as you wallowed in self-pity like the blubbering coward you are. What could you have hoped for? A better home? A better life? Is it that you so greedily desire for no one but yourself, so you can flee from all your troubles and leave us all to suffer?”

“I desire nothing more than the safest of futures for my children!” Chrysalis shouted back, an angry hiss erupting from between her fangs and forked tongue. “Their...deaths...they won’t be in vain. We will find a better life, and we will find peace in Equestria!”

The commander took these claims as though they were from the mouth of a hopeless infant boasting its meager strength to its superiors. However, its expression did not wane. A clear scoff escaped its lips, mocking and distasteful in tone.

“You’re right...We will find a better life, but you will not be joining us.”

Why was all of this happening? Dissension among the ranks, the deaths of hundreds of her most beloved. Chrysalis was still faced with a difficult time believing the hivemind had actually been brought down. Again and again she torturously tried to reestablish connection, burning through memories for emotional fuel to power her magic. The seven stages of loss flashed through in her head, begging and pleading to no one but herself for none of this to be real. Throbbing headaches and unnerving silence weren’t the responses she was hoping for. Though her tears had dissolved, she felt like crying even more, but she knew another open display of anguish for the deceased would only add more fuel to the fire.

“Look at yourself. You try and you try so desperately, so pathetically, to feel the hearts of your so-called children. You dishonor their being,” The commander boldly asserted. “disgraceful...”

Though she had been doing a well-enough job to stay out of the heat of the action, Roseluck bore a scowl on her face that could pierce the thickest steel. Her sympathy for Chrysalis was stronger than before, albeit ironic, including the day she realized just how dire the changeling’s situation was to begin with. That night in the hot springs really changed her. But she yearned to get her hooves on the black-hearted menace just as much as she knew to hold herself back. The changelings were nearly extinct by this point, meaning that, maybe even sooner than she feared, all that she had done to help would have been for nothing.

The commander’s gaze twitched once before turning full-facedly to Roseluck. It saw the scorn presently visible on her face as a joke well-deserved of mockery.

“And you,” said the commander with a low, equally-hateful snarl. “You never had a place among us. I should have had your head the moment you first defied me. The blade was in my grasp and your body is spongy and worthless. You signed on as a feed-bearing mule to nourish only a hopelessly lost cause!”

Of course she never “signed on” to live amongst Equestria’s most despised organisms, but when she first saw the light and understood the severity of the situation, she wished she could have done so in the first place. For anypony to hear the changeling’s story and still label them as vermin was despicable. You can drive away rats and other pests for as long as you like, but they will always be there, and they will always return as soon as you let your guard down. Changelings, on the other hoof, had only ever been beaten back once, and that one event had brought them to their knees.

“But none of that matters now,” the commander went on, shaking its head as it returned its gaze to Chrysalis. “None of it...we are all doomed, do you hear me?”

“No, we are not. Listen and listen well,” Chrysalis spoke softly, taking a step forward and lifting one forehoof to intently display her modest reserve, which was exactly what she preferred not to do. Her desire to do more than just stand there was growing. The hivemind had just been obliterated, and the commander was lacking the punishment it deserved. “There is hope for us yet, commander. Some time ago, Roseluck and I uncovered an ancient crypt, one buried beneath the castle of old and, within it—“

“A treasure worth more than all of Canterlot...were those going to be your next words?”

Chrysalis recoiled in shock. This was not what she was expecting to hear, though the way the commander spoke, with a calm demeanor and a distinct addition of an authoritarian tone to follow its first words, shook her to the core and made her fear the worst.

The commander rose from its haunches, its wings buzzing.

“Had you remained as you once were, feared by all, you would have seen it coming,” the commander continued. “But no, you were weak, and your mind was clouded with worthless bids of hope that our salvation would come through peace treaties and begging. I’ve watched you from the beginning, when the news of your pregnancy spread all throughout the hive. It was one of the few times in our short lives that we were truly ecstatic, and we were anxious to befall under a new leadership.”

Their vivid rejoicing remained in Chrysalis’s mind from that day, and though she was a much different ruler back then, she let them step out of line for a brief while to keep their morale up in favor of an invasion of large village she had planned that very night. Though physical expression was lacking at best, the hivemind was abuzz with activity back then. It’s often crowded neural lanes irked her to an extent, and now she was miserable, silently mourning its impromptu passing and wanting little else but its return. She never knew what she had until it was gone...but it was taken from her, and this angered her more than any pony could ever know.

“But when I saw what sort of an excuse you had given birth to, my hopes were crushed.” The commander spoke again, stomping the ground once with a growl under its breath. “It was so innocent and harmless...and frail. It disgusted me. I was skeptical at first however, and awaited eagerly to see what manner of glorious strain you would put it under so that it may one day usurp you and lead us on the path to conquest. But when you began catering to it as if it were a godsend and, furthermore, had me drag one of our enemy into our homeland, I knew there and then that your road to rule had reached an early end.”

“For the last time, we are not monsters!” Chrysalis shouted in anger. “Our way of survival is not for desire to harm, but desire to live. My mother knew that we are merely misunderstood.”

“You forget your place as a ruler.”

“And you as a commander.”

“You’ve led us to our deaths!”

“And you have led no one!”

At last, the commander was silenced, those final, truthful words getting through the changeling’s thick shell of a head. It backed down, lowering itself to its haunches again, its eyes piercing those of the hermit ruler before averting its gaze toward the ground. Chrysalis felt proud that she had won this battle of wit, but retracted the thought in the blink of an eye. Evil was still afoot.

So many questions have gone unanswered, and the only source of information left for miles around was the commander, who even then was perhaps the greatest traitor in the history of the changelings. All signs pointed to the commander. The moment for questioning was over. It was time for action.

Chrysalis stepped forward, ready to speak and deliver her judgment upon the traitor, but the commander moved at the last moment. It lifted its wings and reached into an apparent crevice in the wing joint, withdrawing a small object no bigger than a skipping stone and riddled with imperfections.

“I lead no one...yet.”

Then, from all around them, the walls of trees and vines began to tremble. The leaves were suddenly speckled with radiant blue orbs. These orbs advanced closer and closer until entire moving bodies began skulking out into the open, dissolving through the thicket and stepping out into the darkness. This was happening all around them. Roseluck yelped when she heard the noises behind her and backpedaled to Chrysalis’s rear, underneath which Ditto took cover, clutching his mother’s closest leg and never letting go.

Chrysalis was in awe. Were her eyes deceiving her? Sounds of hissing and chirruping, not to mention the way their bodies appeared glossy in the moonlight, told her otherwise. They were really here. Her children had returned home. It was bittersweet to say the absolute least.

But what had happened to them? They looked terrible, battered with numerous injuries. Saying they appeared worse for wear didn’t do the situation justice. Scars and bite marks now covered them from horn to hoof, and cracks were visible on the small of their back atop their hard chitin shells. It was as if they had been through a warzone.

It was a beautiful moment seeing her children again. She could almost feel the love within them, and she wanted to spread hers too. No anger, only mercy. She didn’t want to admit it, but she very much wanted to embrace them, to hug and hold them close in their most desperate hours and exchange energy in the most unique way known in Equestria. Alas, love did not work that way. Her children could not feel it as she could; they could only take what life it offered and hoped that it lasted them through the night.

“Why must the fates spread their cruelty so?” Chrysalis asked herself, scanning the horde. Behind them, one changeling became anxious and snapped at Roseluck, who screamed and promptly recoiled, bumping into Chrysalis as a result and finding herself with nowhere else to go.

“’The fates are not at fault. All that has happened to our once great civilization is of your own doing, Chrysalis,” the commander calmly retorted. “All of this was the direct result of your foolish decisions and careless calls to action. Your former children—“

“Former children!?” Chrysalis lashed out with a growl, her fangs gleaming. The encircling force responded immediately, hissing and snarling defensively. Chrysalis was appalled, but was far from surrendering her stance. “How dare you speak of them like that, traitor!”

“You are as dead to them as you are to me,” the commander proclaimed. “You abandoned them and their kin in their darkest hour and paid no mind to the agony they endured without the guidance of their ‘loving’ queen. Do you even feel sympathy for what they have been through? They felt the souls of their kin in the North and South pass on and wallowed in miserable grief. What weakness, this was. Was this your idea of a better future?”

The commander gestured to the object it held, holding it up a little higher. A small ray of the moon’s light cast upon it, giving bits and pieces of its coarse surface a silvery, metallic glow.

“Our future ranks will not be under your command. Rather, they will be under my own. It is what must be done, and will ensure that the hidden power of Mariposa will be put to good use.”

Chrysalis’s eyes shot open at the mention of the great city of legend. Things were far worse than she thought. She herself may have held little information on the long lost kingdom, but, what with the trinkets they uncovered and how they were found beneath the crumbling bulk of the ancient castle of the royal pony sisters in play, she had a feeling that the kingdom had to have been “lost” for a good reason, especially for its age to surpass even her own mother.

The commander took notice of her confusion and surprise in the matter. It refused to wane its expression, matters such as these being all-too important to take in the pride of its personal returns.

From within another crevice beneath its wing, the commander withdrew a familiar-looking item. It was slender and pronged, but was unrecognizable amidst the shadows.

“You were never very clever in the ways of covering your tracks,” the commander continued, bringing forth the object into the moonlight and revealing it to be...a key, or at least part of one.

’The key!’ thought Chrysalis with a flinch, her mind racing as she looked back at Roseluck in shock, who only returned an equally mortified stare. It was the same key they found in the ancient castle crypt not too long ago, the same place where they found the tablet along with it.

“B-But...I-I...” Chrysalis stammered, swallowing hard as she tried to make sense of the situation. Without that key, their future will be held away from them. “How did you--”

“I had my elite guard follow you for days,” the commander cut in. “What I learned was shocking, but I expected nothing more. It was just what I needed. I have known of Mariposa’s existence for longer than you think. Every cold, bone-chilling night as you carelessly slumbered in privacy while your subjects howled and yearned for deliverance from their nightmares you left your mind open to knowledge. Anyone could enter, but everyone feared doing so, save me. Thousands of years worth of thought and valuable memory...”

The commander continued on with its speech, but not before stepping out from behind its wall of minions and further exposing itself. It sat down and held out the two pieces, their broken ends pointed towards each other. A light breeze came forth, and something strange began to happen. A thin, glowing strand of blue magic shot out from both stumps of the objects, meeting in the middle like a grapple and enveloping most of the chamber with its light as an unknown force began to draw them closer.

“A once mighty kingdom brought down by way of simply vanishing off the map. Its ruler was powerful and wise, and its inhabitants were more skillful than all the world’s masons. They were stronger than any mere pony could ever hope to be...and we need it. We need their power to rebuild, but you hold something from us, something that we require to complete a vital connection. You withhold our brighter future by resting it on some ambition for that worthless spawn you call a prince! Now, before you anger me further, where is the tablet you found?”

The link of energy between the key stumps withered and faded out just before the two pieces came together. Chrysalis was awe-struck. Where did the commander find the piece they had found, along with what was apparently the other half of it? She entrusted Roseluck with concealing the former until the time was right, but changelings had always proved themselves to be the ultimate form of spy. They could be hiding amongst anyone, as anything, at anytime.

“N-No.You will not have that tablet. Your intentions are unjust. You only desire to repopulate just so you can lead them headlong into a war that they could never win!” Chrysalis stood tall and looked to and over her children en-masse, her eyes radiating with a combination of fearlessness and fret. “Listen to me, all of you! Do you really desire to throw your lives away in favor of inciting more death for a cause you may never win? I hold a love for each and every one of you that is too difficult to explain beyond what is obvious. I am your...mother...” She swallowed hard, teetering on the brink of collapse. “Please...you just have to trust me.”

Her final words caused the crowd to stir for a few moments. Some exchanged inquisitive glances at one another, but not one of them believable. Chrysalis hoped for a sign that at least one of her children would take to heart her plea, but alas, her soul was crushed when every one of them turned to her and snarled like wild cats, some foaming at the mouth only furthered in their mindless drive of hatred.

“I grow tired of waiting,” the commander stated with a grunt. “Look around you, Chrysalis. You’ve done enough. Your unwillingness to aid your children in need only propagates the end of your rule, and with it, your dynasty.”

‘No...no no no! Please, no! Chrysalis inwardly whined, biting her lower lip as she darted her eyes around the room as the enemy of her own people.

“Force the tablet’s location from her, and when it is done...” The commander backed away, retreating behind its minions. “...bring me her head.”

The whole chamber exploded.

The horde of shapeshifters darted forward, but Chrysalis was ready to retaliate, albeit with a moment’s sickening hesitation. A bright green flash of energy flared up from her horn, blowing the swarm back and sending them tumbling over one another in a daze. Roseluck and Ditto were lucky enough to be standing in just the right spot behind her, for they were left unscathed and only shivering in fear struck by the sudden charge.

“Run, Roseluck! We need to run!” Chrysalis shouted as her horn lost its glow.

“R-Right, right!” Roseluck responded in a hurry, taking off with Chrysalis just as the knockback spell’s effect started to wear off.

The changelings bayed and moaned in pain as they slowly rose to their hooves again. The commander was untouched having braced itself in readiness for the impact. When it looked up, its captives were long gone, but Ditto’s wails still echoed through the forest. It bared its razor sharp fangs and let out a great hiss, its wings buzzing at its sides as it spun around to face its weakened army.

“After them! After them, you foals!” The commander barked, spreading its excited wings as if preparing to take the skies. As the distance between them grew longer, Ditto’s cries grew sharper and more voluminous. This only angered the commander further, leading it to spout death threats and insults as it floated above the writhing pile, kicking them up one by one. “Make them pay for what they’ve done to us! Go! Now! Show them the error of their ways!”

With enough “encouragement,” the changelings were up in no time. Their bodies were battered but their longing for justice held true. They spread their wings and swarmed out of the central hive, the moonlight streaking across their smooth, yet fractured shells. The commander watched them as they left, embodying a ruthless spirit thirsty for vengeance. The hunt was on.

Through the Everfree Roseluck and Chrysalis sprinted, leaping high and ducking low to avoid the pits of green and brown muck and decaying limbs of trees familiar to the comical escapee. The stench of death intensified as they went, their tails trailing behind them and the buzzing of dozens of changeling wings closing in on them like wasps. Ditto kept his tear-laden face buried in Roseluck’s neck.

Chrysalis’ heart was racing like a stallion. She broke free from the trepidation of slowing to look behind her, whereupon several drones broke off from the flying swarm and took a screaming fast dive towards her. She yelped and quickened her pace just as they came to a hard landing behind her. To her misfortune, they did not falter and somehow managed to land on their hooves only to then give chase. They were hot on her hooves, occasionally snapping at her tail as it flailed about in the fog-drenched wind, their feral hisses only advising their victim to sprint faster and faster until she nearly outran Roseluck, a pony whose body was actually fit for this particular brand of torture.

It wasn’t supposed to be like this. Their future was supposed to be bright and abundant with understanding.

Her own children turned against her...the ones she cared for on the inside were now these bloodthirsty dregs of the underworld-turned-Everfree forest whose fractured loyalty belonged to the commander with an obsessive guarantee to accomplish what she never had a chance at doing in the first place. She felt guilty agreeing with it though. An alliance, or even a partnership with their sworn enemy was extremely risky. The risks far outweighed any manner of benefit. Diplomacy would do little to change that.

She needed to do something, and fast. The typical hive drone may be weak, but their endurance was staggering. They would chase her to the ends of the earth if they had to. Another batch of drones landed and gave chase, perhaps hoping to overwhelm her.

She looked ahead to the dense foliage as it whizzed past her head. She formed an idea quickly, one as helpful as it was dangerous. She thought not of her own safety, but for that of her children. Some lingering part of her wholly opposed harming them, knowing that they were merely misguided. Yet, disquieted, she gave in, taking to plan her next moves carefully before executing them with precision.

Chrysalis fired powerful bolts of green magic from the tip of her horn into a sidelining tree up ahead. Several missed, and one only managed to graze the tree on its side, disintegrating a large chunk of it on contact. However, this was enough to bring the goliath husk crashing down onto the pathway.

Chrysalis berated herself under her breath for her mistake and darted around the obstacle with a surprised Roseluck in tow. It gave them some short distance ahead of the pursuing ground forces, but the chase quickly resumed when another squad descended from the swarm up high. Their hooves trampled through grasses and withering shrubs in their advance as the rest of the party caught up. She knew what she had to do, but her timing had to be impeccable.

After waiting for her next targets to come closer, Chrysalis fired salvo after salvo of bolts at the trees as they whizzed by her head, cutting them down like twigs and toppling them to the ground just a few hoof-lengths apart from she and her pursuers. Her plan was working, succeeding in stalling the changelings as they continued to flee.

The last of the aerial swarm joined their brethren on the ground after the rooftop vegetation of the forest grew too dense to see through and resumed the chase just as before. Chrysalis knew this was coming and acted quickly. She repeatedly fired her barrage of magical bolts into the treeline and soon blanketed their means of escape with great hulks of wood. As each one fell, their resilient branches ripped away bundles of overhead vines and made the chase even more of a spectacular mess. Any changeling to maneuver over or around the fallen trees would then be forced to the ground as they tripped over their own hooves, left to writhe about in the pileup as they attempted to free themselves.

Their prey gained distance from them, leaving them in the cold dust if only for a few seconds as those lucky enough to foresee and avoid these hazards caught up with the rest of the pack. By then they were too late. Chrysalis and Roseluck were clear out of sight. They saw their targets’ disappearance as only a minor setback and went full speed ahead, charging into the unknown and instinctively splitting off into separate search parties.

Lady Luck had fallen into Chrysalis’s favor. After her plan had proven to be successful, she and Roseluck quickly came upon a dense thicket of brush tucked away just below the lip of a ditch off to the wayside. They wasted no time in diving into it and waiting out the passing storm. A quick look through a hole in their hiding place revealed the coast to be clear much to the relief of a certain young mare.

“Whew...that was too close...” Roseluck whispered, timidly exhaling a sigh of sweet, sweet relief, taking a minor chance by wiping her forehead clean of sweat. The sounds of the changelings at last grew distant before fading out. They were alone, but there was still no telling how safe they were, or for how long it would remain that way. Fortunately, Ditto had calmed down albeit remaining traumatized and teary-eyed after such a frightening ordeal.

“I nearly hurt them...” Chrysalis murmured as she lay on her belly, shivering. “Nearly killed them even...”

“You’re worried over them and not us?” asked Roseluck in disbelief. “Whose side are you--”

All it took was a single, venomous glare to silence her, the queen’s eyes glowing a dim green. She looked away promptly, turning her gaze back to the hole in the shrub and checking to make sure they were still alone. It was then and there she felt the eeriness of the silent forest creep up on her again, reminding her of how empty this once luscious and otherworldly land once was.

“No matter what happens...they’re still my children,” spoke Chrysalis, breaking the silence with her gaze to the ground, her forehooves idly shifting the grainy soot. “They may be tired, angry, confused, and cursed with hunger...and though I have failed to provide for them, my children they will remain. That is a fact I choose to stand by.”

At least Roseluck could take heart knowing Chrysalis withheld some of her bright side optimism. Sadly, it was far from sufficient to draw the queen’s mind away from worst of it. Her mourning will be eternal. For comfort’s sake, she removed Ditto from Roseluck’s back and placed him on her own, letting the inviting warmth of his small form aid in her recovery.

Just then, Roseluck perked up, her ears standing to attention and her nose twitching about as it sniffed the air.

“Eeugh!” Roseluck recoiled, her ears folding back against her skull. “What’s that stench? It’s worse than this place usually smells like.”

Chrysalis did not notice it at first, but it slowly lingered on to reach her nostrils and, ultimately, her throat. It was thick in the air and made her cough and gag profusely. Ditto whined lowly and covered his muzzle with both hooves. It was worse than the inside of a manticore’s den and smelled heavily of some sulfuric substance. For as bad as it smelled, it reminded her of her home and how muck-ridden it was, a short-lived wanting now thankfully sated, if only for a while. Its whereabouts were quickly discovered when Chrysalis turned around and gave a frightful gasp.

Behind her lay a mass of animal remains; a large animal at that, one brutally ripped apart as though it were a foal’s plaything. It lay in a ditch on its back and its legs splayed in the air. It had a coat of fur that was mostly hidden from view by its lacerated skin and a gaping hole in its belly, the sight further complemented by its exposed entrails that glistened in the moonlight. Chrysalis shivered where she stood. How did she not notice it before? Ditto refused to look.

Roseluck turned about and nearly shrieked out with fright. Thankfully, her mind took over and slammed a hoof over her mouth to suppress it.

“Shh! Remember, stay quiet!” Chrysalis snapped with a shrill whisper before stepping towards the mess, a squeamish cringe crawling onto her face as she gently poked the closest unsullied spot. “It’s dead. Nothing to fear.”

Roseluck felt as if she were going to be sick. Her cheeks ballooned in readiness to release the contents of her stomach, but she instinctively gulped it back down, wincing.

There was everything to fear about this. The first animal they had seen in hours and it’s been cut down like something out of a horror movie? What’s even stranger was that the smell wasn’t coming from any rot, as the kill was too fresh for decomposition to set in, but from the body itself. Even the Everfree’s once abundant population of flies were absent. Something wasn’t right here.

Chrysalis anxiously circled the corpse around to the place where its head...would have been. One of its legs was completely missing too, and the ground around its tail section was lightly charred as though licked by some kind of corrosive substance.

“Even in my recent years I haven’t seen such carnage,” she spoke as she looked it over. “Whatever killed the poor thing must have been very strong, like a manticore or an alpha timberwolf.”

“Whatever it is, I’m glad it’s not going to kill us,” Roseluck spoke up after regaining control of her gag reflex. The smell was too great even for her, but she rested on a hope that she would only have to linger around it for a short time. “And considering that this is the Everfree, that might just be a good thing, for us anyway.” She shrugged. “But we still need to figure out what to do. The entire colony is after us, for Celestia’s sake!”

Chrysalis did not respond. Rather, she warily poked and prodded at certain areas of the creature’s body in examination. There was a puzzle to be pieced together here, but of what sort? A few things here looked familiar to her, but she just couldn’t get across them. A scan of the area around her revealed there to be no other evidence save for signs of an intense struggle, and with that she gave up and returned her attention to her companion.

“I agree. My home is tainted, and no longer safe. There is only one option.” Chrysalis scanned her surroundings cautiously before speaking again with a sigh. “We have to search for and uncover the secrets of this...Mariposa. I am unsure of what my mother had to do with it, what with her inscription on the tablet, but I pray that whatever awaits us there will help us to grow and rebuild once more. The right way.”

“But what about the key? Doesn’t it have anything to do with Mariposa? What’ll happen now that the commander not only has part of it, but the whole thing?”

“We will just have to endure, wait, and see.” Chrysalis responded with a bow of her head.

“But what if they--?”

Suddenly, from within the forest deep, the sounds of the changelings returned, and were getting closer every tense second.

“...follow us?” Roseluck whimpered, her knees shaking.

Chrysalis reared up and placed one hoof on the trunk of a nearby tree, supporting herself in her standing position and looking over the cover of the bushes. Her ears shot up, then, her alertness when she spotted the silhouette of a changeling followed by many more dart to and from the shadows a good ways away. It wouldn’t be long before they would be right on top of them.

“Let’s hope not...” said Chrysalis, lowering herself to the ground again and turning to face Roseluck. “With all that has happened, all the death and decay, it is unlikely we will encounter anything hostile for miles. And yet the forest is still no place to linger. Come...” Chrysalis nudged Roseluck along towards a thicket of undergrowth behind them. “There is no time to lose.”

Roseluck carefully circled around the corpse, accidentally glancing at it even after forcing herself to look away before. She gulped with a shudder and soon trotted after Chrysalis.