• Published 17th Sep 2012
  • 17,401 Views, 537 Comments

Monster or Mother? - Hivemind



How could one love another if they could only live by evil? Queen Chrysalis bears a foal, and in their species current state, how could she care for such a delicate creature?

  • ...
32
 537
 17,401

Ditto

I trust that you will keep this a secret among the others, cerebrate?

Of course, my queen. The others won’t hear a word about this.

Good. Now, until…the day comes, I am placing you within command of the entire changeling army.

B-but my queen! We are so few! Leadership needs--

My decision is final. Seek out as much love as you can and feast upon it. In my current state, I will provide for myself. Let that be the end of it.

~~~~~

The queen of the changelings sighed with heavy feeling. The burden placed upon her was one she had hoped to never experience again. Five-hundred years have passed since she last felt such misery. Her muscles ached, and her mind was groggy, clouded with the results of countless, sleepless nights.

She hungered for nourishment, but alas, she had an entire species to feed, and with security at nearby towns and settlements higher than ever before, she could only imagine the painstaking tasks she and her precious children would have to face in order to survive.

Why me? she thought to herself.

The rogue, grey clouds above the Everfree forest parted aside, revealing the moon’s dazzling white glow. Its tantalizing, eye-catching rays shone down from on high, illuminating the queen’s open-roofed bedchamber of grass, weeds, and ivy. Dew drops formed on the walls of overgrown cudzoo vines, sparkling in the midst of the cold, still night like little beads of silver, decorating her green, floral sleeping space with a mock sense of luxury.

Why me? She thought to herself again.

It was a beautiful sight to behold, but all it succeeded in doing was insulting her outright. Her half-sisters in the city of jewels and riches were probably mocking her right now as she lay in such desolation, sipping from fancy, bejeweled teacups and stuffing themselves with all sorts of delicious fancies.

In this dark, scary world, the hidden force of nature was cruel to her. It forced her to live out a life of shame and regret, where the harmless feelings of love and companionship were her only means of sustenance. Was injuring dozens of ponies and frightening little foals really worth her daily meal? Was she truly forced to suffer in silence, knowing that all she had done in the past thousand years had left nothing but hated, spiteful marks on the face of her lengthy memory?

Her train of thought was interrupted by the sound of soft crying nearby. She still had so much on her mind, but she also knew that she had new duties to tend to. Her changelings had been fed already, though many have starved to death, while others were either captured or killed in previous raids, but nopony cared, not even in the slightest. All they saw were spiteful, vile creatures. Death was a natural part of life, yet the lives of the changelings were short enough as it is, living only to feed off of the love in the souls of others before passing away quietly in a ditch, or even more tragic, while they slept.

Chrysalis rose to her aching hooves, wincing in pain as she did. Her eyelids felt heavy, with days-old grey bags setting beneath the black, flaky skin under her eyes. She hissed with exhaustion as she dragged her hooves over to a tiny bed of scrap cloth and ivy, which she assembled herself to shelter its new occupant.

Ditto, as she plainly named it, lay fast asleep in the crude, makeshift crib of her design, shrouded in a thin, purple blanket that barely held back the bone-chilling cold of the night as the lunar light shone upon its forehead. It squirmed as it slept, squeaking at varied intervals.

Maybe it is having a bad dream. Thought Chrysalis as she picked up the little one with her hooves and gently rocked it back and forth in her embrace. Her gentle musings worked, and before long, the little one returned to its peaceful slumber.

But we cannot dream…so what could it be?

The changeling she held was a newborn, and that term was used lightly, but for now, it was considered a special occurrence, for this was the first changeling ever born directly from the queen herself in over five-hundred years. Every changeling since the first had reproduced like cells, devouring love and splitting in two. When she was informed of her pregnancy by the high changeling general, she had no idea what to make of it.

How would she go about raising it, or more importantly, how could she go about raising it? She felt scared, and alone. She had next to no experience in raising a newborn, and she feared this knowledge rightfully so. When the first changeling was conceived, it knew its directive to feed automatically, but this one acted like a newborn pony, not like a changeling. It knew of no such directive, which only brought her doubts about her ability to keep up with her new life as a different type of parent even higher. Before Ditto, she only gave birth to only one changeling and one changeling only, which fended for itself as she knew it would and expanded the population as it did.

This one had to be fed, bathed, taught, and cared for, all by her own two hooves. Feeding an entire species that was growing each day was difficult enough, but how was she to feed this one? It barely knew how to walk, much less survive on its own.

She would have to figure all of that out later. Right now, she was in a desperate need of sleep. She looked down at the sleeping bundle in her embrace with worried eyes, fearful for the future and what challenges and hardships it may bring, yet despite the problems that came with it, she adored the cute smile on the little changeling’s face whenever she held it in her grip. It made her smile, both on the inside and the outside. She lowered her neck and kissed the little changeling’s forehead before setting it back into its crib.

Sleep well, little one…

In the distance of her forest home, she could hear the baying cries of the other changelings, moaning with hunger and pain. She knew these sounds all too well. It was practically her own, personal white noise, the background clamor that she was forced to fall asleep to every night. Even for one as barren-hearted as she, sadness and remorse still succeeded in overtaking her being.

I am sorry, my children, but you are on your own, for now…