• Published 24th May 2022
  • 2,130 Views, 571 Comments

Unicorn Attack! - milesprower06



Hitch Trailblazer comes out of the Maretime Bay PD to do his afternoon rounds with his deputy only to find the populace in a panic. Quickly finding the source of the hysteria, it's time to put Canterlogic's defenses to good use...

  • ...
6
 571
 2,130

Heir

After he had gotten his deputy's badge polished up, Sprout started another leisurely stroll through Maretime Bay, keeping an eye out for anything that didn't look like it belonged there, like litter. Luckily, CanterLogic already had a few teams out taking care of the globs of goop that had been launched from the Splat-a-pults, as well as closing up the unicorn traps from their standby positions.

He would have thought that they would be able to disable them just as fast as enable them. But apart from having to sidestep all the steel squares on the streets and sidewalks, the populace of Maretime Bay did seem to be calmer after yesterday's panic, and they greeted him with warm smiles and nods as he passed by on his patrol.

He passed one of many lamp posts lining the coastal road, but this one immediately grabbed his attention, due to the flyer with a picture of himself on it. He stopped and stepped up to read it.

Do we want a sheriff that shirks his duties at the drop of a hat to go running off with unicorns?

SPROUT CLOVERLEAF FOR SHERIFF!

Sprout fought the urge to throw up in his mouth a little as he rolled his eyes, not needing to think very long of where these came from. Grumbling under his breath, he tore the flyer down and deposited it in the nearest trash can.

He'd keep an eye out for more on every patrol he went on today.

His mom was good at running a factory, but he wasn't about to usurp his best friend's job just because he went to see a unicorn home with Sunny. Besides, it wasn't like Hitch had abandoned his post or anything; he had put Sprout in charge until he got back, and he was going to do this town's sheriff proud.

Mainly by keeping an eye out for any more 'litter' taped to the lamp posts...


"I've been thinking," Hitch started, as he leaned back in the dusty seating that was present on the wide open floor, glancing towards the stained glass windows. "There's a unicorn crystal, and a pegasus crystal. Is there an Earth Pony crystal? Would that be the center window that's no longer there?"

"That sounds like a pretty sound theory. I haven't heard of one, but then again, I haven't heard of the other two before today, either," Sunny told him. "I'll have to do some more digging through dad's things, see if he ever heard of them or know how they're supposed to work."

"How long are we supposed to wait for our new pegasus friend to come back? Like, how long do we wait before it might be better to go on without her, if she's unable to come back?" Hitch asked.

"I'm hoping we don't have to do that, because then, we're back to square one. Even if we find the unicorn crystal in Bridlewood, we'd have to get the pegasus crystal somehow. Even then, we'll have to find the earth pony crystal too."

"Sounds like quite a long shot, Sunny. Not a day has gone by where one of our preconceptions hasn't changed. How do you know this will work?"

"I don't, Hitch. It's called hope. Even if it doesn't work, I've made a new friend, maybe two."


Zipp strolled through the castle halls, having bypassed the red carpet at the front exterior, looking as nonchalant as she could, as if being late was the most expected thing in Zephyr Heights. It was rather easy, because Zipp being late was the most normal thing in Zephyr Heights.

The floor above the Grand Hall contained wardrobes, Pipp's audio equipment, and dressing rooms. The staging room contained make-up mirrors and rigging where the royal family made final checks before their 'flights'.

Zipp took a deep breath, and pushed the double doors open and stepped into the staging room, where her mother, Queen Haven, was standing in front of the make-up mirror.

"There you are. If you missed your sister's debut performance of her new song, she'd never let you hear the end of it." Haven chastised, seeing her daughter enter the room through her reflection in the mirror. "Where have you been, anyway?"

"Where am I always? Gliding on the outskirts," Zipp replied.

"You must have gone farther out than usual; Zoom and Thunder didn't find you at all," Haven told her as she continued applying foundation to her cheeks and chin with a powder puff. "Pipp told me you'd been out there almost all day."

"Pipp told you?"

"Oh you know she tells me everything. I wish you would tell me more," Haven said, turning towards her eldest daughter. "You're going to be Queen, one day. You'll wear this crown, and trust me, it is heaver than it looks."

Zipp knew she'd have to act quickly, but also not appear like anything was off.

"Hm, where did I put my curler?" Haven asked. "Oh did I leave it back on my dresser? I'll be right back, dear. Pipp should be along shortly."

"Let me try it on," Zipp said, a step to the right and putting herself between her mom and the door.

Haven stopped in front of her daughter, raising an eyebrow curiously.

"If it's such a big part of ruling like you claim, then let me see for myself. Just until you get back with your curler," Zipp reasoned convincingly.

The silence hung in the room for only a moment, before Haven appeared convinced.

'Well, if you have to start somewhere..." Haven said, taking her crown lightly in her hooves, turning it around, then stepped forward and placed it on her daughter's head, her styled mane poking perfectly up between the wings of the crystal. Haven smiled gently at her. "But just until I get back. I'll be just a moment, darling."


As much as Haven wanted to stand there and admire her daughter with the Zephyr Heights crown atop her head, they did have a show to get ready for. Ponies were starting to gather, and once Pipp was in the staging room, it would be ready for final rig checks, and then it was showtime. She stepped around her daughter, pulled the left door open, and trotted out int the hallway. Her private dressing room was around the corner and two doors down. She pushed her door open, and there front and center on the dresser, was her eyelash curler.

"There you are," Haven said, picking it up. She figured she might as well save some time, and took a moment to finish up her yes right here in front of her mirror, before setting it back down into the folding kit where she had left it, before turning, exiting the room, and heading back down the hall. She came back to the staging room, and gently pushed the door open.

"Alright, feeling any more regal yet, dear?" Haven asked upon stepping into the room. When she didn't get an answer, she took a quick look around the room, and saw that her daughter was nowhere to be seen.

"Zipp?" she asked, taking a quick look over the railing down into the Grand Hall, where their citizens were starting to gather. She looked over to the left corner and saw that Zipp's wire rigging was still there, not hooked up.

Her eyes widened when she looked back over to the make-up station, and saw the crown resting on the wooden top in front of the mirror. She had missed it in her first glance because the crystal wasn't on it.

...Because the crystal wasn't on it!!!

"Zephyrina!" Haven cried out, loud enough that even some of the closest spectators below wondered what was going on upstairs. Haven galloped over to the makeup station, and picked up the crown for just a moment, before rushing back over to the doors, yanking them open.

"Captain! Lock down the castle! Nopony gets in or out! Find me my daughters, immediately!"

Author's Note: