• Published 27th May 2022
  • 1,307 Views, 24 Comments

A Different Kind of Magic. - KarmaSentinal



An unexpected encounter sparks an unexpected change.

  • ...
0
 24
 1,307

Chapter 2

“Wake up! Wake you sleepy dolt, and act like a grown colt. The day is rushing us by, and any longer will be flushing it away.” Zecora declared as she nudged her semi awake guest into consciousness, earning a meager hoof smack from the large stallion.

“I’m awake, but I ache, so please cease your quaking.” Blueblood mumbled back, and was rewarded with a high shrill of delight and hoof clapping.

“Oh! What a surprise, do you know what this implies? You and I are mates, destined by fate.”

“I.err..no..what!?” He squealed in adjective horror as he threw the itchy blanket off his body so he could better roll off the bed. His seriousness was greeted with another tranquil laugh full of merriment as the strange mare quickly retreated behind the massive cauldron, never once hiding the mischievousness from her eyes he had recently begun noticing.

“All in good jest, by that I swear. The day might be young, yet you haven't even begun. Many things seek our time, so let us hit the grime.”

Blueblood relaxed after listening to her rhyme, and lightly sighed as he went to retrieve the discarded blanket. Since his arrival and boarding with the strange mare known as Zecora he he’d refused to use any magic out of fear it would draw the mad centaur; with his hooves still recovering, but well enough to walk offered to accompany this ‘zebra’ as she called herself by providing another back to carry even more herbs, wild vegetables, and various little things she took delight in. Not in a long while had she lived with another, and drew delight from the daily interactions, or the prince guessed by her increasingly playful mood.

“Alright Zecora, let me finish making the bed and I’ll join you outside.”

“Do what you do Cardinal Rose, but don’t dally instead rally in the valley!” She shouted before he heard her comforting steps heading toward the small indention hidden behind a lone cloth, and began withdrawing three baskets.

The sun and moon still hung in the air, and the pair decided they would keep count of the days by adding one whenever they rose from their slumber- 11 times since Zecora took him in they had awakened, with 12 times they had laid themselves to sleep.

The count could be off for he had no watch, and there was no clock save the mare’s structured need to brew potions everyday near a set time, so at least they knew when it was nearing three in the afternoon. Another concern less important than telling time was if she knew who he was, but besides prodding questions seemed oblivious to his title, so he offered her his real name, and not the one he assumes as head of the Blueblood Family.

To his luck, she took to it with speed and questioned less of his family for more about him instead.

‘That I could work with.’ He had told himself as he wished to keep his identity a secret, and besides his parents, Celestia, and a well hidden birth certificate nopony else knew of the seldom used name.

He’d reached the fairly wide, but deep bowl they used for bathing water and began scooping some of that water with his hooves, splashing it on his muzzle and cheeks. He repeated this action twice more before taking the provided towel hanging on the wall, and began drying his face like he had done so as part of his new routine; he even dampened his mane this time if only to loosen some of the mats that had developed since his incursion through the Everfree Forest.

This was only possible because of the single shard on the wall that acted like a mirror, but the prince gave up on his mangled mane after the second mat bested him, and besides what did it matter when he would only get dirty once more. Sacrifices were being made except for one. he refused to let his teeth be un-brushed even if it meant using the naturally made toothpaste Zecora boosted having made, and that was no exception. The morning ritual only lasted about 15 minutes now, but back in Canterlot he wouldn't spare time nor expense to achieve the desired look- appearance meant everything.

“Should I grab the other basket, Zecora?” he shouted, turning to find his companion already missing. Blueblood didn’t have to wait a second more when she replied in her song like rhyming she had all three.

With nothing left, he strolled over to the lone hook by the door and removed the cloak Zecora had loaned him, claiming it would offer protection not only from the elements, but the pricks of thorns to. Outside in grove, the changes were gradually becoming more noticeable each time they woke up, and the prince strangely felt proud knowing his own two hooves helped in the terraforming from swamp-esque land into a semi large vegetable garden.

Food would become more scarce or so Zecora proclaimed when they first stumbled upon one of her favorite spots to gather berries only to find all the bushes had been ripped from the very ground. This was all Zecora needed to enlist his aid to gather as many seeds as they could so they could be planted in this hidden grove, and this day would be no different. He never had to look for the zebra for she always stood in the direct center of the grove, and there she stood with three woven, but brittle baskets on the ground before her.

“Is something the matter, Zecora?” He called out, and noted the deep look of thought etched into her face as she faintly hummed an unknown tune.

The prince had quickly learned to stand still and wait for the mare while she lost herself in whatever it was that captured her mind, and some previous short exposition they’d shared revealed she never had the luxury to just think. Now that he was here, he guessed she felt more confident knowing he was nearby, and this was only a guess he told himself, but that strange feeling from before was swelling inside at the possibility his very presence gave the mare the opportunity.

That he was helping a pony just by being himself.

“Vegetables. There was another patch further north, but from here to there is more than just air. The forest has been passive of late, but we mustn’t tempt fate.” Zecora declared as she retrieved one of the baskets leaving the prince with the other two as had become another new normal.

They took the northernmost path out of the glade where they followed its length until it bent just a bit too much toward civilization, and from there the two forged a new trail through more trees. Just like all the times before, Blueblood watched how the planets would sway enough to avoid hindering the motivated mare, and by extension himself as they had grown used to the stallion’s presence or so Zecora informed him about three days ago. A small change, but one the unicorn welcomed with opened hooves at being accepted (in limited capacity) by the forest.

Their trailblazing led them through a section of the forest that vaguely resembled one they’ve visited the other day, but Zecora assured him that this was in fact very new and mostly unexplored save for passing next to it before. This admittance earned his interest as Blueblood assumed her to have explored the whole forest before his arrival, yet her own confession, and rigid posture confirmed her trepidation to this unknown destination. He wisely followed her lead and kept his questions to himself for the remainder of their journey, even going the extra step to mimic her movements in the chance he might learn some mysterious secret.

His hooves still hurt, but had healed well enough to travel some distance without needing to stop and rebandage, only encouraging Zecora to seek his companionship on these ‘outings’. He would have further lost himself in mindless thoughts if the mare hadn’t halted in the path.

“Cardinal Rose, can you feel how the air stills? How it shakes my very will? Perhaps we are more unwelcomed then some, so let us leave before anything comes.”

Blueblood said nothing. He barely moved as he stared in worried awe at his companion’s fearful remarks, for these weren’t meant as caution, but to act as a warning. It took the zebra’s wonderous flank bumping into him to shake free from his worries, yet no snide comment from the mare only worried him as she hastened her retreat forcing him to backpedal as well.

“Alrig..hold on Zec..wait!” he shouted that last part, and watched as the mare went still with freight. He seized the opportunity and grabbed the mare’s withers and spun her around so they could stare into each other's eyes. “You speak of worries and fears, yet all I see is your rear. Tell me what terrifies a mare like yourself, so I know more than just myself.”

His rare use of rhyming shook Zecora from her fear enough to blink, and observe the stallion for the first time, taken back by the change that had come over him. Here she gathered her thoughts and in short informed him of the signs that were there and they should take care; no more was spoken as her tone and posture was enough for Blueblood to accept this change in course and began leading them back down the path they came from with a great pace. Zecora made no effort to assume the lead, just grateful for the stallion's understanding.

Mimicking the time before, they kept to themselves out of fear any noise would attract whatever had spooked the zebra, but that didn’t stop them from trotting with a great need to leave.

This time Blueblood noticed the forest was acting against them as he was forced several times off the path they had just trailed to blaze a new path deeper into the thickets that was accompanied every tree in the bucking forest. He was trying to be understanding of the forest’s wishes, but found it frustratingly difficult to be receptive when the mare following him was almost pressing herself against his right flank in a demonstration of true fright. He lost track of whether that shaking was coming from Zecora or himself as they continued the trek set forth by the forest when they finally heard it, and the pair froze.

They refused to move or speak as their ears swivel left and right when another brief scrapping of wood against bark came from their left followed by a low growl to their right. This hide and seek of sounds continued to the pair’s increasing terror for the forest seemingly left them to their fate for the thick bushes and massive trees appeared less numerous and sickly. It was in between the new openings that they spotted something on all fours sprinting by, but the prince didn’t know what it was.

“Something ran by on all fours, but that’s all I saw.” he whispered to his companion who had taken the opportunity to stand literally beside the unicorn, her early fear had been replaced with her familiar stoic attitude.

“I must apologize to you, dear friend, for when we set off I’d imagine everything was fair. Never did I expect we’ll soon be ensnared.” Zecora whispered, but it mattered little as the trap had been sprung.

“And I had grown rather fond of our wooden neighbors. I had even considered extending an invitation to them, how unfortunate.” Blueblood made the comment while trying to pinpoint the source of the growls and yips.

Zecora did the same, but his words were strange and reminded the mare of his proper upbringing he spoke so little about. From the moment she’d found him till this very moment, his appearance had roughed up and by the Forest Spirit she had become drawn to the stallion as the years of proper hygiene had left the unicorn in peak condition. It was the so few words he spoke of his life that allowed the zebra to construct her own ideals to fill in the gaps…

“Look out!” Zecora cried as a small timber wolf leaped from a bush next to her, but years of survival teachings had molded a strong creature of the woods.

Blueblood had barely tilted his head toward Zecora when she had spun around on her forelegs and gave the wolf a mighty kick, sending the creature flying against one of the nearby trees. This spurred its packmates into pouncing and before they knew it another one flew out from their left, and only a push from Zecora saved the prince from its snapping jaws. Blueblood hit the ground as Zecora jumped backwards to avoid the new wolf’s jaws, and grasping the fallen basket, threw it at her wooden foe. It shattered, but stalled the wolf long enough for the prince and zebra to regroup just as a third wolf appeared from their right. Working in tandem, Blueblood captured the third wolf’s attention by throwing his own basket at the creature, which it expected this and swiped the offending projectile to the ground.

The two ponies looked at each other and took a step back, having no need for speech to convey their intent. The two wolves mimicked the pair in reverse with each taking a step forward to match their pace, forcing the pair to take two more steps back. The wolves took two more while growling deep piercing sound that Zecora recognized from her foalhood days with her mother before the separation. The attack was obvious, but hearing the growl left now doubt this pack was near starving not only for their flesh, but what mana they might possess, yet even if they should claim victory they would be disappointed. Her friend had been drained of his mana, and she had been bore without the power they sought.

So focused on the two before them, they failed to recall the one Zecora had bucked earlier into a tree, and it chose this time to remake its appearance in the most profound way. Instead of joining his packmates it chose to try the same tactic once more, but this time it used the noise of the other wolves to mask its approach until it was too late to react. In one swift motion that resembled a cragadile leaping from the water, the timber wolf exploded from the bush next to the startled pair and locked its brittle jaws around the zebra’s shoulder.

Her cry stabbed the unicorn right through the heart as he started turning with wide eyes as his savior turned companion fell to the ground. There was no time to process the attack when the other two began their advance with the one on the right going for the down zebra as the one of the left rushed him; Zecora’s cries in pain triggered something within the unicorn, like a spell had been casted, the world slowed down no faster than a scene change at a play back in Canterlot. Nothing from his early and even teen years had left Blueblood feeling this…

‘Empowered.’ He thought as the two wolves barely touched the ground with their front paws.

Something had clicked and only now after a lifetime of tutelage did he feel the overwhelming desire to act upon his lesser instincts his parents referred to them, and they only taught him so he could understand how to keep them buried and under control- until now.

“Enough.” The word left his month more from its own accord than his own, but the strength behind it was impossible to hide as the world sped up once more.

This time the wolves lost their resolve as their faces began glowing in a richly orange just before Blueblood shot the fireball toward them, engulfing the two in their entirety. What cries of surprise and pain that had escaped alerted their packmate too late as Blueblood turned to a wolf backing up toward the bush and trees with a trail of blood and drool hanging from his jaws. It had barely turned to flee when another fireball shot forth and exploded against its back, sending burning shards into the very bushes and trees that had given them up so easily.

“HOLD STILL! THIS WILL HURT!” he cried.

Zecora raised her head in shock as the forest next to her began catching fire as her unicorn companion lowered his still sizzling horn next to her wound. She didn't hear his command before she flinched in pain at the searing heat upon her wound, but the moment it appeared it was gone.

“ By my mentor's ghost their toast! One little mistake and I would have been a roast!”

“I know Zecora.. I’m sorry…I didn’t know what to do, so I cauterized your wound. Just until we can get you home.”

“Home? Yes, of course. Let us leave before the forest plots our next discourse. Many questions I have to ask…” She flinched as Blueblood helped her back onto her hooves, before leaning next to him for physical support.

“I would be very suspicious if you had no questions to ask, but I beg of you, much will be explained once we get home. I promise you that much.”

“ I will heed your advice, so please, no need to tell me twice.” Zecora agreed as they hurriedly began fleeing the spreading flame.

Who knows what matter of creature a forest fire might draw, and wisely so, the pair didn’t want to find out.


Zecora and Blueblood made terrible progress, but the forest itself seemed terrified of the pair, for their path laid barer than it had ever been, and no manner of creature decided to test its luck against the pair. The prince was silent in speech and thought at the ramifications of his magical use of force back there, and how she would view him going forward.

Most of his thoughts were of the mare kicking him out in fear he would alert the centaur to her lair, but it was the ones of never seeing her again that struck the loudest chord with the unicorn. Very few ponies were privy to his true nature, and even if it was under false pretext, Blueblood had felt a joy to be Cardinal Rose for a change and not Blueblood the 16th.

These thoughts and the mare's equally own silence added to the already tense atmosphere, and was greatly relieved to start smelling the familiar dampness of Zecora’s grove.

Even as they traversed the familiar ground, their sprites remained bound. Tethered if you will to the events of not long ago as magic, a force once so common as breathing was treated like a plague that would only bring ruin.

“As you enter, you’ll find the ingredients needed to make things right. Just follow my instructions for a bit, and soon after we may finally release a sigh and end this plight.”

He didn’t respond verbally, but his quicken steps alerted the zebra of his answer all the same.

Carefully leading the zebra in, Blueblood rushed to his bed and helped Zecora settle on the side that hadn't been mangled before following her instructions as they began flowing out of her muzzle. He nearly tripped twice and almost knocked over three jars and pots in his frantic pace to gather what his companion desired, but he eventually collected the assortment of jars and a fine length of cloth to use as the dressings.

Even in pain, her instruction was clear and precise. Blueblood made no mistake as he opened and closed various containers to mix the powers, and salves to create a green paste which he applied by hoof over the open, and cauterized wound, earning him a surprising husky growl from the zebra as the paste went to work. He didn’t even wait for her word as he lifted the bandage in his magic and began applying it over the paste.

Zecora was shaken from her pleasure, and watched the dressing with rapid fascination the whole time until the wound was bandaged and Blueblood ceased the magic.

“I’m very apologetic...no. I feel terrible you had to learn it this way, Zecora, but my cowardice caused somepony I have grown to care for great injury and pain.” He started, speaking in the practiced speed that would give his speech the most clarity to articulate his turmoil. “It is shameful for me to admit it aloud, let alone to another pony, but I was terrified he would sense it, and this time there would be another soul for him to defile.”

With his peace spoken, Blueblood sat on the floor next to the bed that comforted the injured zebra, waiting for some retaliation he deemed was owed for how could you keep magic a secret when there was a monster trying to eat it? The very notion was selfish at the least, and deadly at worst for it could expose the caring mare to the horrors of a world gone mad, so when Zecora did try to speak the unicorn nearly looked away to avoid those innocent, and caring eyes to spare himself their hurt.

“You have magic…” She whispered, and her tone made it difficult to decipher her mood for her eyes and body did little then lie there and stare at him. To see the mare look so helpless made the guilt boil over and he almost found himself crying…

Almost. Installed since his youth was a near ritualistic mantra all Blueblood’s were forced to obey for the sake of the family, and even now in this little grove in the Everfree Forest the prince knew he had to obey, and would obey. This need to fulfill his family’s laws were what kept him firmly seated in place to stare the mare down if needed, yet his eyes held no anger or personal grievous toward his savoir then he had respect for himself. It simply didn’t exist. It was this respect and worry for the mare that kept Blueblood wanting to talk and reveal what he had been afraid of sharing since she brought his terrified muzzle back to her grove.

“I was fleeing from the monster when you happened upon me, my escort was attacked, but I snuck away as they fought and pleaded to the beast. I hadn’t used magic since out of the rooted notion he would sense its aura, and discover myself, but recently you as well.”

“An escort? Prey tell, and please don’t despair, for this is not yet a nightmare. You were scared for your life and rightly so. This doesn’t change the fact you saved me from certain woe. Speak, and be free.”

Blueblood didn’t know what to say at first, shaken by the encouraging words he felt undeserving of, and yet he watched Zecora in the hopes it might betray some hidden motive or hatred, but when he couldn’t find any did the unicorn finally lower his guard. Carefully he approached the bed, and once he was close enough, laid his muzzle at the end so he could stare into her eyes, and she into his while they borrowed the other's warm breath.

“Fewer ponies than my own hooves know me by my real name, Cardinal Rose.” He began and let Zecora take in the implication of that revelation before moving forward. “I mentioned being from Canterlot, which is true. I live, and work there, but not for the court making maps…I’m a noble.”

“A noble?” She mouth the word, and this time her eyes did widen a little bit.

“I’m Celestia’s nephew, Prince Blueblood.” He blurted the statement not wanting it lingering on his tongue any longer than it needed to be. A stark contrast to a mere couple of months ago when he relished in the opportunity to spring his lineage upon the unexpected for a cheap thrill, but this was different. There was no thrill in this name drop, or reaction of the mare he’d grown to cherish for her honesty and genuine personality.

To his eyes, Zecora appeared on the verge of a panic attack when he did the unprecedented and reached out to clasp her hooves with his own. For both of them the strange touch calmed them by giving the pair something different to focus their anxieties during this turbulent time. For Blueblood, he had just opened himself to a pony, and not even Celestia nor his family could claim to know the stallion more than this mare, and that was all within a little over a week. For Zecora who was use to living on her own since the passing of her mentor, to feel the unsolicited touch from another pony, let alone a handsome stallion momentarily eased her shock as she looked into the eyes of this unicorn she had taken into her home, like she had just noticed him for the first time.

“It appears we have much to discuss, my princely friend.” Zecora finally stated, not even bothering to rhyme, and Blueblood was quick to pick up on it.

“You didn’t rhyme.” he noted with surprise for the sudden drop in her speech pattern.

“I don’t have to rhyme all the time, but I chose so out of respect for somepony close to me.”

He wanted to, but didn’t ask as his foalhood training alerted him to the mare’s somber tone, and swallowing the curiosity for a later date only nodded. Instead, he almost felt spurred on by some outside force and to his own amazement scooted his muzzle a little closer to Zecora’s, who for a moment looked scared out of her whits before relaxing and doing the same.


Another eight or so days passed after that night, making his total stay with Zecora rapidly approaching an entire month. He was at peace. The guilt from how this was achieved lingered in the background of his mind like a reflection in a mirror, or the scars Zecora would forever brandish, but in another selfish display the unicorn continued tilling a small patch of the grove he had cleared out two days ago.

By forcibly being removed from the Canterlot’s political environment, Blueblood the 16th, or Cardinal Rose as he wished to be known, felt no obligation to project himself anymore than a unicorn making improvements to the living area he shared. Zecora was healing nicely, and to her displeasure wasn’t in any condition to assist in the more laborious work, but to some relief could still brew her potions with little hindrance. She hadn’t started her main work as of yet since she decided to brew a generous pot of the ‘Forest Tea’ she claimed was an original blend of her own design, and to Cardinal Rose’s delight was offered a small cup as well.

He took the drink with a smile and a ‘thank you’ before he took a seat next to the recovering mare.

It had been almost two days since the sun and moon began moving once more, and it was assumed the threat had been dealt with, further removing another worry from the pair only to replace it with a more serious concern of their own making. They had continued on with their new routine as if the sun and moon still hung side by side to avoid addressing the problem they both knew needed to be discussed- Cardinal decided to stallion up and start them off.

“We have to discuss this eventually, Zecora.” He started, and quickly took a sip of the tea to avoid having to continue. Thankfully the zebra knew this and with the band aid removed was eager to talk.

“Aye. We are but two hopeless souls trying to ignore the fire, but by doing so, we will only come down to the wire. That is the expression, no?” the unicorn nodded and she continued. “ These weeks were stranger than the stories my pony friends have claimed, and I will tell you Cardinal, those mares make the Everfree look tamed.”

“These weeks, while strange, were the greatest experience I’d ever been privileged to have. Back in Canterlot, to speak, let alone act how I’ve acted would only spur their mouths to action for nothing more than to stir excitement for their dull lives. I would shame my family and make Aunt Celestia look worse for it. That's why I never revealed my title until that night.”

“And why I spoke so little of my own foalhood, for what soul would believe a crazed forest witch?” He couldn’t help himself but to chuckle seeing Zecora contort her face to highlight the silliness of her statement.

In the end they fell silent, intent to sip their tea and listen to the returning sounds of the forest, another habit the pair had found themselves enjoying as of late. This new ritual provided the pair the perfect chance to bond and forget about their discussion that always started, but somehow would never finish only to be brought up the next day. Just like Cardinal Rose had brought up moments ago, but like his companion, was quick to forget in favor of moving onto something else.

Their tea break lasted another two cups worth, and Cardinal was returning with their third cup when he made the comment that would end their hesitation to speak about what’s been bothering them since the sun lowered and the moon rose high into the sky two days ago.

“I can't wrap my mind around this blend, it is something else Zecora. whatever herbs, or plants you’ve used I don’t want to know.”

“Well then.. maybe if you are well, and willing…” She took another sip of the tea, and this time turned toward the stallion until he took the hint and set his cup down to return the gesture.

“Yes?” He asked, unsure of her sudden nervousness. She set her own cup down and in a bold display grabbed one of his hooves.

“Perhaps..just maybe, I could make this brew for you every morning if you so desire?”

The lack of rhyme alerted the stallion to the seriousness of her question first before the implication behind the question was fully processed. He would have recoiled trying to provide himself with additional time to dissect the question, but her hoof firmly held him in place as she waited for some remark or counter proposal. In a way it had been the main concern the pair had since the return of day and night, and the moment to make a choice had arrived…

“I would like that very much.” he whispered. Her grip around his hoof tightened, but it was her eyes that drew the stallion’s gaze as they sparkled brighter than the private fountain he had enjoyed back in Canterlot Castle, and this ease the unicorn back into that earlier peace.

The future will come for them eventually, but until then they would continue enjoying listening to the forest as it went on with its business. The knowledge they could remain near each other was enough to forget about the future and focus on the present just a little longer.