• Published 25th May 2022
  • 317 Views, 2 Comments

See - Quill of Filth



Life was normal- or as normal as it gets in Ponyville- for Tempest. Until on a fateful day, she is commanded to the city of Canterlot, where she is told of an existential threat that becomes a harbinger of ultimate destiny.

  • ...
 2
 317

Eye Of The Storm

The maroon unicorn slowly sank lower, her hindlegs touching the darkness. Her outstretched hoof was the closest to the dim light of the surface.

Slowly, a lavender foreleg reached down from above. The tip of their hooves touched before almost in a caressing motion, the lavender hoof slid around, gripping the foreleg. A magenta aura surrounded the maroon mare, pulling her out of the darkness.


A light shone brightly into the room, its rays hitting the bed where a motionless form lay. In the bed was a maroon unicorn, who's eyelids eased open.

The light burned her retinas, but she kept them open in a slit. She attempted to move, but the demand was too much for her body to oblige. The weakness in her limbs and lack of energy made her feel comatose. The pain quickly made itself known, as her entire body felt like it was singed.

She opted to instead examine her surroundings, noticing what looked like a regal type of room.

But before she could even begin to think or postulate, the door at the end of the room opened.

What appeared to be a nurse entered the room. Her eyes met Tempest's eyes causing her to freeze for a few seconds.

"Oh, hello. You're awake. How's the pain?"

"Bad," Tempest rasped.

"Do you want any pain killers?"

"No," Tempest replied.

She approached the bedside before taking the stethoscope around her neck and putting it on. Holding the bell, she gently placed the diaphragm to her chest, moving it around while listening in silence.

After a bit, she pulled it off, placing the diaphragm to her back, "Deep breathes for me?"

Tempest did as she was told, inhaling deeply through her nostrils, feeling a slight burn, before exhaling through her lips.

The nurse unclapsed the stethoscope, letting it rest on her neck. "Can you close your eyes for me?"

Tempest obliged. Her left ear turned to what sounded like distant taping.

"Can you hear that?"

Tempest nodded. The tapping occured beside her right ear.

"And that?"

She nodded again.

"Okay, so just stare straight at me," she said, hovering a pen light in her azure aura.

Tempest did as she was told, her eyes wincing and aching from the light passing through them.

She clicked the light off, and began writing on her clipboard. "You sustained some pretty bad injuries. Burns and magical burns. Almost like you got struck by lightning. And your lungs seemed to have undergone some strain. But luckily, your heart's strong along with your body."

"How close was I?" Tempest alluded.

"From what I know, pretty close," she admitted. She turned away beginning toward the door. "I'm going to bring this to the doctor and he'll speak with you soon. If you need anything just shout alright?"

With that, the door shut, leaving Tempest alone. She sighed.

She raked her hazy mind, attempting to put together the events that transpired in chronological order. She remembered training with Rainbow Dash, then receiving urgent news from Spike, then going to Canterlot with Twilight…

Flashes of the obsidian serpent within the heavy rain appeared in her mind. Potent memories of the battle cycled, cannon fire, her attempt at stopping her fall.

Knocking sounded at the door again, pulling her out of her thoughts. The door opened, revealing a familiar lavender Alicorn. Her smile was bright as she trotted forward to the side of her bed. Her eyes were glassy as she simply stared.

Words were exchanged, but none were spoken. Tempest reached over despite the pain and embraced Twilight.

For a moment, the pain seemed to dull, as she relished embrace.

After a bit, Twilight pulled back, giving a giggle through her teary eyes. "You seem to have a habit of falling."

Tempest realized she did indeed fall a lot. It was almost comical. She almost met her demise three times from falling. Technically four. "And somehow surviving," she replied. "Did you guys defeat it?"

"Yes. And you made that possible."

"I think you're giving me too much credit," Tempest chuckled.

Twilight shook her head, "I don't know if we would have made it in time without you."

"Where did you go?" Tempest asked.

She sighed, "It's a long story."

"Where are we?"

"Canterlot… When you fell, I just saw the splash of the water. I dove down and grabbed you before you sank and I took you all the way to a mountain above the water where I tried to resuscitate you." Twilight paused, staring blankly as if she was seeing the moments. "A bit of water expelled from your mouth, and I heard your heart start beating but you didn't wake up. I flew as fast as I could and teleported you to the hospital. I gave you to some of the best doctors in Equestria."

"Did anypony else get injured?" Tempest asked.

"It put up a bit of a fight, but with more flute playing and some spells they managed to put it in a trance. Celestia, Luna, Cadance, and Discord are fine. I don't think anypony got hurt from the flooding."

"Cadance?"

"Yeah, as it turns out, we had to get her as well."

"I'm surprised Celestia lowered the sun and Luna raised the moon," Tempest noted, thinking back to the night on the skiff.

"It turned out it actually had to be done. Again, a long story."

"You're gonna have to tell me someday," Tempest replied in jest.

Before Twilight could answer, knocking sounded at the door.

Tempest assumed it was the doctor but when the door opened, two Alicorns entered the room.

"It seems we've been in this position before," Luna noted with a smile, standing beside Celestia at the end of the bed.

"But our intentions are different this time," Celestia said. "We must be brief as we need to attend to the damages from the flooding. What you've done is no small deed, and my sister and I wish to invite you to a festival here in Canterlot, to honor you for your heroic actions."

Tempest was silent for a few moments, processing what she'd heard. She didn't know what the offer exactly entailed, and she wasn't too keen on celebrations but she recalled what Pinkie told her a while ago. "I guess I'll go," she said.

"'Tis settled then," Luna replied with a knowing smile.

"Meet with us in the castle in three days," Celestia said, bowing her head respectfully. "Until then, I wish you a speedy recovery."

"As do I," Luna replied.

The door shut, signifying the departure of the Alicorn sisters.

Tempest noticed Twilight was staring at her. "I imagine I don't look so great," Tempest noted.

"You look fine," Twilight gently dismissed, "but if you want, you can look in a mirror," she shrugged, with a smile.

Tempest raised a quizzical brow in response.

"Anyway, I should probably leave too," Twilight said. She reached forward, hugging Tempest who reciprocated.

Twilight sauntered toward the door before she spoke over her shoulder. "Don't forget to get a view of the back," she said, winking.

Tempest's eyes widened as her face flushed.

The door shut, leaving her alone.

Tempest attempted to understand what just happened. What was she implying? Was it just a playful remark?

Her gaze traveled to her left to the open door beside her bed. Her curiosity piqued, she moved her legs, gauging the pain and range of motion she was capable of before she lifted the blanket off of herself. Her hooves touched the cold floor, before she stood wincing a bit. The cold air grabbed her naked body, smothering any residual warmth. She wished she still had her outfit. She would have to discuss that with Rarity.

She entered the bathroom, which was fancy but not overtly so.

In the mirror, her reflection came into view, which she examined with minor trepidation.

Her mane appeared mostly intact, with some loose strands and frazzled areas, and her coat was fine despite the burns she could feel under it. Overall, she actually didn't look too bad for fighting a giant serpent and getting struck by lightning. Nothing stood out to her.

She turned to leave when something in her peripherals snagged her attention. Her head flicked back to the mirror before she gasped. Upon her flank was a symbol, a symbol that was a small cyan eight pointed star with twirls under it as if it spun up in ascension with two arcs on either side with smaller five pointed stars like fireworks.

Shock paralyzed her as she was still unknowing whether her eyes were deceiving her. But no matter how long she stared, the symbol remained.

Her eyes began to water. Memories of all the pain, anger, and sorrow returned, but instead, it was transformed into glee. She felt deep inside of herself that she was no longer completely forsaken. She felt an indescribable radiant joy, a joy at having found her purpose, and having fulfilled her destiny.


Tempest sauntered alongside Twilight in the throne room, leaving and entering the occasional multi-colored sun rays shining through the stained glass windows.

At the end of the room, Tempest noticed both sisters unfurl their wings and leave their thrones, flying toward them.

Tempest and Twilight stopped as the princesses landed a comfortable distance in front of them.

"How was your recovery?" Celestia inquired.

"Good. It did get a little boring," Tempest admitted.

Celestia chuckled, "Well, there's going to be quite a lot of fun ahead."

Twilight walked ahead of Tempest and waved for her to follow. Tempest obliged, sauntering past the sisters.

She wondered if it was what Twilight mentioned earlier that she wanted her to see.

Twilight stopped, turning to face her with a big smile. Tempest stood perplexed, until she turned and pointed to the wall.

Following her point, Tempest's eyes widened as she turned.

There was a stained glass window, but upon it was herself, hovering in the air above the swirling waves of the sea, looking up with a visage of determination at the irate obsidian serpent as a lightning bolt struck her and bathed her body in cyan electricity. She was surrounded in a cyan circle, and there was an eight pointed star at the end of her broken horn and on her flank.

"My sister and I requested its construction immediately," Luna said, from behind them, "and we're happy with the artist's rendition as we hope you are as well."

Tempest didn't know how to respond. She thought it definitely made her look more heroic than what actually happened. But at the same time, she was grateful and honored at the display.

"Well?" Twilight asked with a smile.

"It's amazing," Tempest replied.

"We are happy to hear of your approval," Celestia said. "Now. About the celebration."

Tempest swiveled around to face the two sisters.

"As you know," Celestia began, "the celebration is already in progress, and we planned on having you on the stage as soon as possible."

"Shall we depart?" Luna asked.

Tempest nodded.

Tempest followed behind the sisters through the throne room alongside Twilight. Celestia opened the large double doors before speaking with the royal guards, and continuing forward. The comfortable silence between them all lengthened as they traversed through the castle. Until eventually, they made their way outside on the royal steps.

In front of them was the back of a stage, and on it awaited another pale cerise Alicorn mare. On the other side of the stage, somewhat obscured, hundreds of ponies could be seen conversing at tables and idling or going to the various tents or booths in the distance at the edge of the city platform.

On the stage, the princess turned to face them. "Sorry for being late. Flurry was being a lot more difficult and I had to help Shining with her."

"I imagine being a mother and running a city is quite difficult," Celestai chuckled.

"I wonder which is more difficult," Luna replied in jest, following her sister.

"It's difficult to say," Cadance replied.

Twilight and Cadance both gave knowing smiles before stopping in front of each other. "Sunshine, sunshine," they both said in unison, prancing in place, "ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves and do a little shake!" They ended the jingle by mirroring with a sway of their haunches.

Despite it being harmless, Tempest couldn't help but raise a brow at the esoteric display. But she also couldn't help a small smile that tugged at her lips due to its adorable nature. But her attention was pulled elsewhere when she noticed the princesses talking with a familiar baby dragon.

"You know," Twilight began, capturing Tempest's attention again, "I meant to tell you later but… There was a moment where a small part of me knew you would succeed."

Tempest pondered the implications. "So you weren't worried?"

"No, I definitely was," Twilight chuckled in response. "But for a moment, I felt faith turn into a small glint of certainty. And I'm happy it came true."

Before she could think of a response, a voice spoke.

"Are you ready, Tempest?"

Turning, she saw Celestia standing beside her with a genuine smile.

Tempest nodded.

The curtains parted, revealing Spike with a microphone in his claws. "Greetings ladies and gentlecolts! Gather around as we take this moment to honor this historic occasion! To honor the hero who made it possible for us to celebrate here today! Please stomp your hooves for Tempest!"

Tempest expected there to be silence but cheering and what sounded like a stampede filled the air. She followed behind the princesses onto the stage, where she got to see the vast crowd. After a while, the cheering subsided.

Celestia took initiative, speaking so her voice could be heard from afar. "We've set up this festival today to not celebrate the beast's defeat, but to celebrate Tempest's triumph."

"And though she has made severe mistakes," Luna began, "and previously lost her way, she has shown she is truly capable of transcending her difficult past and becoming a better pony."

"She not only battled against the great leviathan," Cadance began, "she also aided in saving an empire with thousands of ponies from an evil tyrant shadow."

Tempest took a sidelong glance beside her to the shadow she cast. Her chest rose before she exhaled through her nostrils, once again looking at the crowd.

"With the help of new friends," Twilight began, "she was able to save an empire and become a better pony, despite her dark past. So much so, she was willing to fulfill her true calling and face the Leviathan alone. But it was not just because she felt indebted, she found that she valued friendship, and that her newfound love was worth sacrificing for. Tempest has shown the noble warrior spirit, and true fortitude."

Cheers erupted in response.

Her ears flicked and her eyes darted to the dusk sky, seeing an abrupt burst and explosion as a prismatic fiery circle expanded across the starry sky.

Tempest felt a tapping on her foreleg that pulled her from her state of awe. Twilight smiled at her before gesturing to the sky with her eyes. Tempest reciprocated the smile.

Sparks formed at her horn, before a ball shot up into the air with a whistle. It exploded in a brilliant cyan sphere with tendril-like energy coming from the center touching the circumference. Another line shot from the center into a magenta explosion, repeating the process.

The cheering continued, as Tempest followed the princesses off the stage.

"Well, you're free to go wherever you want now," Twilight informed. "Not that I could force you stay," she giggled. "But I'm gonna talk with the princesses a bit but I'll come find you later."

Tempest nodded watching Twilight approach the princesses before she turned to the crowd. She was immediately stumped on where she should go. She tried to look for anyone familiar in the sea of ponies. Maybe Starlight. Or Trixie since her hat would be easier to spot and she would most likely be with Starlight. Not that she necessarily didn't like Trixie.

"Hey! Tempest!"

Flying above was a familiar cyan pegasus mare with a signature rainbow mane. She flew down, hovering just above Tempest before she spoke, "You never answered when I asked about my Sonic Rainboom. What'd you think?" She asked, with her forelegs crossed.

"It was quite the spectacle," Tempest admitted.

"Heh, thanks. Nice fireworks by the way. Oh, uh, Pinkie wanted to talk to you about something also," Rainbow remembered. "I can take you there if you want."

"Lead the way," Tempest replied.

Rainbow flew overhead, making sure to stay within line of sight as Tempest made her way through the crowd. She noticed she garnered some attention with a few eyes on her, but they weren't of a harsh judgmental nature like before, and instead were more in the vein of curiosity or cautious admiration.

Walking for a bit longer, she passed by a few more ponies before a table with four other ponies sitting at it came into view.

"Tempest!" A high pitched voice greeted with a squee.

Her eyes widened when she felt a force collide with her, and a pair of forelegs wrap around her neck, halting her gait. She saw a puffy pink mane that smelled like bubblegum next to her muzzle.

Looking down, Tempest chuckled and wrapped a foreleg over Pinkie.

"Oh, I'm so-so happy to see you!" She squeed.

"It's good to see you too," Tempest replied.

After a tight squeeze, Pinkie pulled away.

"I think I can speak for all of us when I say we're glad you're okay," Rarity said.

"Twilight was especially worried," Fluttershy informed in her hush gentle tone.

"Yeah," Applejack affirmed, "she was in your hospital room for a while nodding off. Took some convincin' for her to come back to the castle guest rooms."

"Yeah, we all were a little worried," Rainbow admitted. "But hey! Look at you now! An absolutely freaking awesome pony who defeated a giant sea snake!"

"I can't say it was easy," Tempest replied.

"There is beauty in what you've done," Rarity said. "All the blood, sweat, and tears, led to something divine. Also, without clothes," she mused, noticing Tempest's bare form. "I'll make you another pair," she reassured with a smile and a wave of a hoof.

Tempest was thinking of a response when she remembered why she was there. "Is there something you wanted to ask me, Pinkie?"

"Oh! That's right!" She exclaimed, bouncing in place a few times. "The Cakes and I were discussing business matters," she said, in a faux dark and shady tone while using a hoof to obscure her muzzle. "And with some inspiration from Applejack, we decided to have a dessert cart going around Ponyville! And I suggested that you would fit for the job! So," Pinkie said, appearing beside her and wrapping a foreleg over her," what do you think?" She asked with lidded eyes.

What Tempest thought was that it seemed strange for her to be suggested for such a position. Considering her background, her looks, and well, her demeanor. She did enjoy baking with Pinkie- even though she wasn't good at it- but would she really be a good fit? "I'll think about it," Tempest replied.

"Okie dokie," Pinkie said, hopping away to her seat, "but try to get back to me soon okay?"

"You seem to be gettin' in a lot of trouble lately," Applejack noted with a chuckle.

"Yeah," Tempest sighed, "can't seem to catch a break. Can't wait for the invasion."

Pinkie snorted and giggled and the others smiled. Though, Fluttershy despite her smile snuck some worried glances to the horizon and sky, waiting for a dark armada to appear. But they all noticed Tempest seemed more enthusiastic. Like disciplined effervescence.

"Yeah, sometimes you can feel like life's pinata," Pinkie agreed sincerely.

"You should enjoy the party while you can," Applejack said in jest.

"But we could totally take on an invasion," Rainbow dismissed with a wave of a hoof. "I mean, how could we lose?"

"You'd think that would've applied to last time," Applejack mumbled.

"Haven't we learned to not say things like that?" Rarity said.

Tempest chuckled.

"I mean, we only lost last time because we were caught by surprise and outnumbered and the princesses got taken out first," Rainbow said. "And Discord decided not to show up," she deadpanned. "Unsurprisingly."

"Um, he told me he was napping," Fluttershy said. "And that he doesn't like to fix things for us," she added sheepishly.

Rainbow rolled her eyes.

"But he did help recently," Fluttershy defended.

"I'm gonna wait for Twilight to vouch," Rainbow replied.

Tempest noticed a grey balloon floating out from the crowd toward her. She knitted her brows in minor confusion before an old male voice spoke.

"What about my vouch?" Looking at the balloon, two lidded asymmetric yellow eyes with crimson pupils and white bushy brows, and a smirk with a lone fang appeared. "Aren't I a sight for sore eyes?" Discord asked, his voice muffled and distorted.

Everyone rolled their eyes, but Discord appeared in a white starry flash. "My ears could be deceiving me, but I didn't hear a reply."

"Speak of the-" Rainbow deadpanned before being interrupted.

"Speaking of appearance," Discord replied, "where are the other girls?"

"We're right here," another voice deadpanned.

Approaching from the crowd was Starlight and Trixie, with Trixie seeming not very happy at their arrival, while Starlight wore her usual nervous smile.

"Hey y'all," Applejack greeted.

Starlight waved before she arrived beside Tempest, "So, how are you?"

"Good," Tempest responded.

"Oh," Starlight said, slightly taken aback by the response, "I was gonna say, it probably doesn't feel great almost… nevermind." She disregarded, keeping her smile, "But I'm glad you're okay."

"So, Tempest," Discord began, "how does it feel to be- oh, what's the word?" He said, tapping a talon against his chin. "It starts with an 'H' but it appears it's eluding me. It's like the opposite of a villain?" He said, continuing his faux contemplation.

Tempest rolled her eyes, already knowing the answer. "A hero."

"Exactly! Which is what you most undoubtedly are," he said, gesturing to her with his paw.

"That's a strong word," Tempest sighed.

"Perhaps one would say equally fit for a pony with strong abilities," he replied, his hands clasped while tapping both index fingers together.

"You have the strong ability of sarcastic compliments," Tempest replied.

"How can one be so stubborn?" Discord deadpanned. "Then what pulled your strings to go on this endeavor?" He asked, conjuring a marionette who's strings traveled to the stick in his claws. His hand bounced, making the doll dance. "Surely what I said a while ago was a motivator."

She assumed he was referring to his nugget of unexpected wisdom, and unlike before, she did act in its accordance. "There was an element of that… but there was something more," Tempest said sincerely.

"Whatever the case," he dismissed, making the marionette dissapear, "you proved you had the power to heal yourself," he emphasized with a fist.

Tempest chuckled and smiled in amusement. "Not exactly."

Tempest saw Discord's face deflate in annoyance, before her eyes traveled to Trixie who was magically shuffling cards with a bored expression.

Trixie's ears flicked before she looked up, seeing Tempest standing in front of her with a hoof extended forward. She smiled. Riffling the cards together for a bit, she opened the deck up in a fan, with the faces pointed to the ground.

Tempest plucked a card from the far right, making sure to conceal it as she brought it in front of her. Seven of clubs. She slid the card back into its designated place.

"Tell me when," Trixie said, shuffling the cards swiftly.

"Stop," Tempest said immediately, causing the deck to freeze in its position.

Trixie finished the motion of putting the cards back together before she pulled a card from the top, turning it over for Tempest to see.

Seven of clubs.

Tempest smiled.

Trixie was ecstatic by the reaction and gave a beaming smile.

"Oh! Oh! Me next!" Pinkie exclaimed, waving with a hoof.

"You know," Starlight mumbled beside Tempest again, "I never apologized for my comments I made a while ago."

She recalled her journey with Starlight, Trixie, and Discord. It started out rough, with her keeping her distance from them. But at their second campfire, they began to open up, and confess their wrongdoings. Except for her, which sparked a conflict between her and Starlight. Looking back, she regretted being so judgmental. To her, it seemed more trivial, but to Starlight it was not.

"So for that, I'm sorry," Starlight said, bowing her head, with a nervous smile.

"It's okay. You were right," Tempest acknowledged.

"That makes me feel worse," Starlight noted, averting her eyes. "I sort of wish you gave me your usual careless glare."

Tempest chuckled and Starlight smiled.

Tempest examined the ponies in front of her who all appeared to be talking amongst themselves. Every one of them meant a lot to her. She couldn't believe where she was, prompting her to examine her surroundings. She saw ponies reveling the celebration, but through the crowd she noticed a familiar spot at the edge of the platform touched by the setting sun.

If she told herself long ago about her circumstance, she would likely chuckle mockingly in her own face before threatening harm.

"Tempest, darling, there's still a seat by me if you wish to sit down," Rarity offered, gesturing to the seat beside her.

"Actually," Tempest said, "I want to do something first. I'll be back."


Standing by the monumental pillars at the edge of the royal city, Tempest gazed at the horizon of dusk, the light bathing her face and chest as she wore a smile of serenity.

Feelings of contentment, joy, and love coursed through her. She didn't know if their potency was due to her lack of feeling those emotions over a long period of time, or if it was simply because of circumstance along with catharsis.

It felt as though she had been thrashed around by a raging sea in a storm for years which she fought against to stay above the surface despite feeling in vain, and through sheer mettle, and fortitude, she kept herself alive despite being battered, and beaten, and scarred. But it wasn't enough, with time, her body grew exhausted as she was at the mercy of the waves, as everything took its toll as she was swept under the surface. She could see the abyss below as she slowly descended. Until miraculously, she was pulled onto a small island, where with a rapidly beating heart, she was given a chance to catch her breath.

She had been at death's doorstep many times, and though things inside her died, she wasn't corrupted again by the encounters. She had voluntary control over the evil within and the anger. The best parts of her survived as she was reborn.

With it also came clarity. She formed relationships that were meaningful to her. Along with a gift of purpose. It felt like the stars had aligned for her…

But though the storm had ceased, she knew she was simply in its eye. But now, she welcomed the new beginning, the unknown future, and the suffering to come. She could now see that there was something more to life, hidden from the eyes. She had a reason to fight, and she hoped to bear the pain with grace, and fierceness, and to reflect the light of a star.

Author's Note:

We're at the end. Or the new beginning.

My thoughts on the loose edgehorse trilogy is that I think I did okay. Some things I know are sort of weak. Like syntax especially. Or pacing. And other things feel a little forced and not as expressive, true, and authentic, despite tackling things like trauma, guilt, destiny, death, and redemption.

In the end, there were a lot of parallels to the first story but this was Tempest's ultimate test and she achieved transformation. And for me, despite there being a few loose threads, her story is at rest. And I'm glad I was able to finish it. But I hope you found some enjoyment from reading this and that it wasn't a waste of your time. Have a nice day or night.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment