• Published 10th May 2022
  • 1,226 Views, 135 Comments

Legends Never Die: The Beginning of Harmony - bookhorse125



The end is coming. Sunny Starscout has rejoined her friends, and together, they must find a way to save Equestria from itself - and all the warring creatures inside it.

  • ...
3
 135
 1,226

Taking Action, Part One

Once again, Haven stood on the balcony, letting the wind sift through her wings, feeling that strange feeling she had always been feeling for the past few weeks. It was different now - the first time, she knew for sure that it had been for Sombra, but now that he was gone, she had expected the feeling of wrongness in the world to go away - but it never had.

At first, she had worried that King Sombra had returned and was going to take over all of Equestria using a slightly different method, but then, once she had been having the feeling for a while, she noticed that it was a bit different than her previous one.

It was still a tip between light and dark - and, quite dishearteningly, it was still the darkness that was winning - but it wasn’t from Sombra - it was from somepony else, somepony she still didn’t know.

And it was the fact that she had no idea who it was that scared her.

If she had been in Maretime Bay, she would have asked Phyllis if she could see that magic detector system that she had created - with Sombra, there had been a hint as to where Sombra might be because of the magical energy he was emitting.

But now… and here. Trapped up in the north, in a city that should not exist, while her daughters once again risked their lives for the safety of all of Equestria. The rushed good-bye replayed in her head - Zipp and Pipp giving her a quick hug and telling her that they loved her - and then they were gone. Loaded onto a zeppelin with the rest of their friends, off to heroically stop all evil with the power of friendship.

Haven wished she could help them, or simply be there for them. She knew that the new creatures had the best of intentions, but she wanted to be with her daughters while they went off on adventures with the strange creatures, in case things didn’t turn out… as expected.

Whenever she thought about it, her mind was completely blown - she had thought that having unicorns and earth ponies beyond her borders was terrifying enough when she didn’t know anything about them, but having at least eight other tribes outside that were completely different from her and her subjects was enough to make her want to enforce a lockdown on her entire city to keep the pegasi - and furthermore, her daughters - safe. They weren’t even ponies, with their only difference being the fact that they had a horn instead of wings, or lack thereof. These were completely different creatures with different abilities, different looks, different… Well, everything.

Haven gave a frustrated sigh. It was all too much to keep up with. All she wanted was the best for her subjects and daughters - to keep them safe.

But right now, it was quite likely that nopony needed her efforts anymore, no matter how hard she tried - and that broke her heart more than anything.

Because Zipp and Pipp were always off on their adventures, and if what she had heard was correct, then her own city was once again in rebellion, this time against, not herself, but her daughters and their friends, though it was impossible for Haven to not get caught in the crossfire.

How much she would give for just one - just one day of peace and quality time with her fillies!

She felt a presence behind her and turned to see Alphabittle and Phyllis, both looking at her, concerned. “What’s going on?” she asked, her mind immediately going to worst-case scenarios, such as her daughters being in mortal danger, and she wasn’t able to do anything about it. “Is Sombra back or something?”

“No,” Phyllis said quickly. “Just… you’ve been really… quiet.”

“Is everything all right?” Alphabittle asked, standing on her left while Phyllis stood by her right shoulder.

Haven sighed and lowered her head - there wasn’t any use in hiding it, and maybe they could be of some help to sort it all out. “I have that feeling again,” she admitted. “The one that says that there’s an imbalance in the world - between good and evil, light and darkness. Last time it was because of Sombra, but… what does this mean?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Phyllis scanned their faces, looking for any signs of recognition of what she was thinking of. “Or is it not?”

Alphabittle sighed. “Just tell us what it is,” he told her in a tired voice.

“You don’t have to be all huffy about it,” Phyllis huffed (and, yes, I see the irony here, very funny, moving on). “But isn’t it those three villains - what did Sunny Starscout call them? The ‘Legion of Doom’, was it? Anyway - I think it’s them. They’ve obviously been causing trouble, so it wouldn’t be much of a stretch to assume that they’re planning something much bigger than just releasing Sombra.”

“But - Sunny and her friends fought them!” Alphabittle protested. “They - they fought them off and drove them away, and they’ll never come back… right?” He looked around at the other leaders, holding onto a thin hope that this was the case, but the two mares’ downcast expressions told him otherwise. He sighed and sat down, saying, “Okay, layer on the doom, why don’t you.”

“Sunny said herself,” Haven began, putting her hoof on Alphabittle’s shoulder, “that they’re definitely going to be back - they only managed to temporarily defeat them. She said that they have a much bigger plan releasing Sombra, and that he was just the opening act - the worst of it is still coming.”

“What could be worse than having your mind taken over by some creepy shadow guy?” the big gray unicorn asked?

“I agree with you on that,” Phyllis comforted him. “Living your worst fears over and over in your head was awful - I can’t imagine anything worse than that.” She stopped as the answer occurred to her. “But… what about your worst fears actually coming to life?”

“Especially if Sunny’s right, and one of them can steal magic,” Haven added.

Alphabittle sat up, looking alarmed. “Woah, woah, woah!” he interrupted, his horn sparking with anxiety. He stood up, his eyes wild, his bulk towering over them both as he growled, “Nopony’s taking my magic - not if I can help it.”

“No, nopony’s taking your magic,” Haven assured him, patting his leg. “We’ll make sure of that.”

“We’ll take care of each other,” Phyllis suggested, stepping forward. “Like Sunny and Sprout and Hitch and Zipp and Pipp and Izzy do. We’ll take care of each other, you know, like friends.”

Haven gave a small smile. Though she had never admitted it, not throughout her entire life, being a queen had gotten in the way of having friends - everypony always bowing to her and treating her like she was already in charge of the pegasus city, when all she had really wanted was somepony to talk to, to confide in, to tell her secrets to. But she had never found somepony like that - until now. “Yes,” she agreed, putting her hoof in front of her, on top of Phyllis’. Alphabittle copied the movement, setting his large gray hoof on top of the two mares’. “Like friends.”

They all smiled at each other, and Haven remembered the first time magic came back - the broken picture frame of Sunny and her father, the earth pony herself telling everypony there that it was up to them to bring back magic and friendship, or to stay separated by fear and mistrust. And Haven did choose - she chose friendship, so that, perhaps, though she never admitted it, her daughters could have what she herself never did.

A sliver of light came down from the sky and materialized in front of the three leaders, transforming, with a burst of light, into a scroll, which fell to the floor with a quiet thump.

Alphabittle lit up his horn and picked up the letter, a concerned and puzzled look on his face. Haven and Phyllis both understood this - the only ponies (or creatures) who knew that they were up here were Sunny Starscout and her friends - all of her friends. Despite knowing otherwise, Haven couldn’t help but wonder if one of the creatures had decided to rat them out, but she forced these thoughts from her head. Trust in other ponies’ choices, she told herself. Because there’s always a reason behind them.

“What does it say?” she asked instead.

“Are our kids okay?” Phyllis demanded. “A-and their friends, too, of course, but mostly-”

Alphabittle held up his hoof, and she fell silent. He unrolled the scroll, and Haven thought she caught a glimpse of one of her daughter’s hoofwriting - Pipp’s, she was sure. She hadn’t been there for many of the seconds of her younger daughter’s struggle to learn to write before she went to school, but she had seen it enough that she could recognize it upon sight. Her heart immediately sped up - why would Pipp be writing to her?

“Is something wrong?’ she asked, longing to know what the letter said.

Alphabittle glared at her. “Perhaps,” he said in an annoyed voice, “if I could actually read it, I would know and could tell you.” She could tell his teeth were clenched.

“Right, sorry,” she said hastily, taking a step back as Phyllis did the same thing. They wanted with anticipation as the unicorn read the letter.

Alphabittle cleared his throat and read, “Dear Mother, Alphabittle, and Phyllis, I hope you are well. I meant to send this letter sooner, but more information came along that I knew that I needed to include, so I had to write it all again. I hope it finds you okay - I had Flurry send it to you instead of Izzy because it’s absolutely vital that you get it.”

“Are the others-” Phyllis began.

We are all fine,” Alphabittle read in a loud voice, “and I hope you are, as well - oh, wait, I said that already. Nevermind, then. But I don’t think you have any connection to the outside world up north, so I decided to write to you about all the troubling events that we have been hearing about.

“Troubling events?” Haven asked, now concerned for her daughters’ safety as well.

“Well, why don’t you read it!” Alphabittle tossed her the letter, and she fumbled to catch it. She smoothed it out and scanned the paper, continuing where he had left off.

One of the guards from Zephyr Heights - his name is Thunder, I know you’ve seen him around - has been giving me information on what is currently happening in the city. Unfortunately, it is nothing good. The pony we assume you left in charge, Helios, is acting like the shift is permanent, and he has managed to convince just about everypony there that Sunny is planning to take over all of the land and couldn’t care less about anypony in Equestria, which is just awful! Sunny would never do something like that!

But it gets worse. As we are working with her, nopony will trust or help us anymore - at least, not many of them. Thunder tells me that some of the guards and several ponies in Maretime Bay also aren’t convinced, and they are doing the best that they can to help us - at least, I hope they are. So far, nopony has harmed us yet.

From what we have heard, you are not in any immediate danger, which is good. Zephyr Heights and Bridlewood are in complete turmoil right now, and all the ponies who want to fight against Sunny are meeting in Zephyr Heights very soon. Please, stay safe. We don’t want you getting in danger because of us. Sincerely, Pipp.

“Well,” Phyllis said after a brief bit, “I don’t know about you, but-”

“Wait, there’s a postscript,” Haven interrupted, squinting at the letter. “P. S., this is Zipp. Sorry we didn’t get to spend more time together - I promise, after this is all over, we’ll get together sometime. But if you feel like you need to do something, go ahead and do it, because I think you can. Don’t tell Pipp I told you that, though.”

The three leaders exchanged a look.

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” Phyllis eventually asked.

Haven nodded, her expression grim. “Let’s go get our kingdom back.”

Author's Note:

Sorry I got this out a little later than usual, had a very busy morning.

Constructive criticism is appreciated. Thank you for reading!