• Published 24th Sep 2012
  • 1,961 Views, 35 Comments

Light and Shadow - oop



A young inconspicuous colt of Ponyvillian residence explores the time between widely renowned seasons 3 and 4, and through his eyes are seen the magnificent events which transpire.

  • ...
4
 35
 1,961

Chapter 5 A Mother's Love

Shadow was overwhelmed, ecstatic, elated. No words in his young mind could express his joy. He didn’t doubt it for an instant. That feeling he had ever since he arrived in Canterlot, this was why. He had been born here, and he was finally home.

Lightning, however, seemed completely shocked, as she well should be. “What…but…how…why…huh…?” she babbled innately, feeling terrified and out of place.

Luna finally released Shadow from their hug “I know it’s a little late,” she said “but you deserve an explanation. Come on, this isn’t the place.”

She led them back down the silver ladder and into the hallway. “Darksword,” she addressed a passing guard “Call Saber Strike to active duty, make sure he’s here as soon as possible.”

The guard saluted and quickly started off in the other direction. Lightning seemed somehow disappointed “You’re calling my brother?” she asked “why?”

“Lightning, you have to realize that foals cannot go running off without a word,” said Luna “we will leave your retribution to your brother to decide. Though I believe we can remain lenient.”

Lightning nodded and yawned “Okay…” she said sleepily.

Luna led them down the hallway to the beginning of a marble staircase that turned upward into a spire. Windows were inlaid into the granite walls every sixty or so steps. Shadow tried to number their paces as they ascended quietly, but quickly lost count.

Indeed it was a good ten minutes of climbing before they reached the top of the spiral staircase and found themselves facing a round blue door. There was no visible knob, but Luna’s horn glowed and the door swung open on invisible hinges.

Luna’s chamber was as large as Lightning’s entire house. Two staircases were on either wall leading up to a platform with a giant glass sphere inlaid in the center. The platform led outside onto a balcony and the indoor portion had bookshelves along both sides. Under the platform was the area made for leisure. The bed, placed in front of the panoramic windows, was patterned in lunar designs and stars. There were couches and stools enough to house a whole host of ponies, all dyed a soothing blue. The effect was magical.

Lightning walked over quickly and jumped on the bed “Wow!” she exclaimed “I could run laps on this! And it’s so soft, com on Shadow!”

Shadow looked to Luna for permission, and when she nodded, he flew over, dive bombing onto the bed. “Wow!” he said “you were right, this must be enchanted or something!”

“It’s moon cloth,” said Luna, sitting on one of the stools nearby “it’s sewn from dewdrops held together with spider silk, it’s very much enchanted, it would be impossible otherwise.”

Shadow sniffed at the fabric curiously as Lightning finally grew bored with her bouncing and lay down on the blanket. “That’s amazing princess…” she said tiredly, it was becoming obvious that she was exhausted. She yawned again and snuggled into the blanket.

“Can you tell me now?” Shadow asked, sitting down near Lightning “why Dad left Canterlot, what happened?”

Luna smiled sadly at Shadow “I won’t make excuses…” she said “your father and I believed it was for the best. The changelings were mustering in the forest lands to the north again and the power of Discord was growing day by day. We feared that protecting you in Canterlot was too great a risk.”

“When you were barely a week old we came to Ponyville under the cover of night, a small anonymous town, and we had friends there. Celestia’s student, Twilight, helped us get things ready for Umbra to stay and protect you. I can see he did the greatest job anyone could’ve…” a tear fell down her face and to the floor. She didn’t want this to be her first impression on Shadow, but it didn’t change the fact that Umbra was gone. That fact, that stark fact was enough to make her lose herself.”

“I wish he was still here…” said Shadow, his voice carrying a sorrow no child should ever have “I don’t even know what happened… he was there… and then he was gone…” he shut his eyes, trying to stop the memory of what he had seen that day, when he’d run past Twilight and Redheart. When he found the door with his Dad’s name on it. Seeing nothing there but the shape of a pony under a white sheet. The memory threatened to break him again.

That’s when he felt a gentle touch between his wings. He opened his eyes again, looking up at Luna, her eyes shining with unshed tears. “You were alone…” she said “and I know that is the worst thing you can be. I’m going to promise you now Shadow, I promise you will never be alone again.

Shadow’s face lit up, “Cross your heart?” he asked.

“Cross my heart,” said Luna, smiling to match his.

Shadow cuddled against her, shuffling as he yawned again. It wasn’t long before Luna could feel his soft, gentle, breathing. She pulled the blanket over him, noticing Lightning curled up beside him still. They were both sleeping away the deep exhaustion that only children know after a long and exciting day. She couldn’t help but reminisce of when, all those eons ago, she and her siblings had known that same exhaustion.

There was a knock on the door and a voice came from behind “Luna!” the voice said “What are you doing in there?”

Luna smiled and unlocked the door, allowing another alicorn to enter the room “Please keep your voice down sister,” she said “they’re sleeping.”

Celestia entered the room, stepping quietly over to stare at the foals, making sure her aurora mane didn’t fall over them “Luna…” she said “this is…?”

“Yes,” said Luna “and his friend.”

Celestia shook her head “He’s still in danger,” she said “we have yet to fully reign in the changelings, do you feel this is wise?”

“His father…is gone…” said Luna, frost tinting her voice “I couldn’t leave him in Ponyville a day longer unattended, not that I would’ve anyway.”

“I meant you no offense,” said Celestia, looking Luna in the eye “as long as you are firm in your decision, I will assist you in it.”

“He’s my son,” said Luna sadly “this is a new experience for me. I can never be sure of any of the decisions I make.” Her expression turned humble now “what would you have done if it was Cadence?”

“Exactly the same,” said Celestia “love is the strongest protection we can provide. Don’t think you could’ve done anything else.”

“The worst thing,” said Luna, holding in her tears this time “is knowing that Umbra is gone… I knew it would happen eventually…but so soon… its killing me…”

“I know how you feel,” said Celestia “just remember, he may be gone, but his love for you lives on.”

Luna turned back to the colt, who was smiling in his sleep. His coat was lighter than Umbra’s, but the mane, the smile, it was all there. She smiled back at him, realizing just how true Celestia’s words were.

“I suppose you’ll be insisted on a ceremony?” Luna asked her sister.

“But of course,” Celestia replied “I could never deprive our subjects of such a celebration. Twilight should coordinate this one… it would be a good experience for her…”

Author's Note:

I made this chapter a great deal shorter for the purpose of begin very, very expository. There are still a lot of loose ends that i intend to work through in my story 'Truth' which would exist as the prequal to this story, though i've only started on the first chapter of this one.
Anyway, updates pending, i should have chapter six up before the end of the week if all's well, after which the updates should follow as close to weekly as i can get them.
Thanks for reading, i hope to see you in the upcoming chapters!
-CC