• Published 3rd May 2022
  • 729 Views, 20 Comments

The memoirs of Princess Brighter Skies - Disembodied_Pony



A princess recalls her humble beginnings, as a human male from another universe

  • ...
7
 20
 729

Starting from scrapped

One of the many systems on board the Transport, was the self maintenance system. Usually controlled by the main primary computer control processor, they were very capable drone devices.

A ship this size carried eleven of them. Tucked into their charging and communication alcoves throughout the ship, they waited for a task assigned to them, and reported their maintenance progress back when they were given one.

Considered a critical system, they had basic autonomy programmed into them for emergencies such as ship-wide power or communication failure.

In such a case, they executed their directive lists:

1. Procure power for self to maintain operational charge,
	1a. Build energy harvesters (wide-spectrum solar-voltaic) to that end <if> local reserves are inoperative
	1b. Maintain self/repair
		1b1. Maintain/repair other repair units
	1c. Establish operation of the emergency distress beacon
	1d. Establish operation of the secondary processor unit, and relinquish autonomy control to it, to direct further repairs

This is an extremely simplified version of what they really process. There are many thousands of <if>'s and recursions happening for each one of those directives.

So, armed with a very basic set of operation, limited memory storage capacity of ships architecture, and a millimetre replicator attachment; they went to work. And with only three units still in operation, at that.
.
.
.
Wouldn't you know it, the little things finished their directives! It took nearly Six Months, but they did it.

Reading over all of the work that they did on their own, I wish I had met the genius's that programmed them.
'They must had been masters of recursive logarithms and the like'

The ship itself didn't look any better, except that it now had a pair of solar arrays attached to it. Looking like a shredded metal bumblebee with puny wings.

However, the secondary processor was operational now, and talking to the drones in their alcoves while they recharged.
While outside their alcoves, they worked on the processor's only objective:

1. Expand energy harvesting to meet requirements of 1a
	1a. Establish operation of the primary processor, and it's data banks.  Then relinquish the management of the repairs to it.

.
.
A few months more, and it was now online.

From that point, things picked up considerably. With the primary processor online, very nuanced repairs of the ship's system's and structure began.

And when I say 'picked up considerably', I mean Years went by. The ship drifted for Years.

'How it didn't drift into a star, or a gas giant, or a simple moon or asteroid is beyond my comprehension'

I try not to think about it too hard anymore. I'm serious! Pondering the odds too long actually caused me to fall into a bout of madness for a small time. To be fair though, I was suffering from complete social isolation at the time...

Sighing loudly, I turned to the stallion a short distance to my right;
"Never ponder the universe's motives to long, Golden. It actually Can drive you mad. At least, for a little while"

With a chuckle at the random bit of advice, Golden Ray replied;
"Naturally. Um, what are you typing, if you don't mind me asking, that is, your highness?"

"It's fine. I'm recording my thoughts. Perhaps I'll fashion it into a biography, or maybe a performance piece one day?"

"Ah" Golden nodded.

Golden is my Guard Captain by the way. He's often at my side here at the palace.
'Hmhmm, and slowly going into a madness of his own, from receiving all the unconnected strings of advice that fall from my muzzle while I reminisce' thinking to myself.

"Are you going to put in the part where you seduced one of Celestia's guards, princess?" He asked with a knowing smile

"Of Course I Will, that's one of the best parts. And He pursued Me, I'll have you know. In fact, I was quite shocked at the time..."
"Ah, just thinking about him on Equus right now..." Just thinking about him gets me flustered in all the best ways.

'Even his name is perfect...' I thought to myself, getting lost in the dreamy haze.

Shaking myself from it, I turned to Golden;
"You did this on purpose, didn't you Golden? Now I'm all fired up, and no Sure Shot to put out the fire. You can be an incredibly devious pony at times." I told him, pointing my accusing finger at him.

"To think that your highness gets so unsettled at the mere mention of her Equestrian Guard stallion... *tisk*" Golden teased,
"You must be compensating for all those years by yourself?" he followed up.

"Could be.. hey, I earned it."

"True. But, if I may ask, why him of all ponies? Why not one of their prince's, even one of your subjects? I was available before I got married?" Golden admitted... why he Does This To Me.
Sometimes I think that he wanted to follow in Prince Shining Armor's hoof steps?

"He won't be returning for four more days Golden...So I am not going to detail everything about him now, that gets me weak in the knees."

Sighing I went on;
"I suppose that when I first met him, he was all grown up? Where with my ponies? Well, I raised and taught their grandparents, saw them and you when you were still nursing... I suppose there is a lot to be said for first impressions?"
"Maybe it's a carry-over from when I was human? Seeing a handsome stallion, and then remembering how cute and small they were just, doesn't work..."

Taking a slow breath, I thought to myself 'At least the fire's out now. Good play Golden.' After a moment, I went on;

"Sisters tell me the same thing of their ponies. It in turn, led them to our relations with each other... I was the first pony they didn't see in that light. Not I'm going to think about that either. It'll be even longer before they'll be visiting again" I finished.

"Are? you going to.." Golden asked.

"Oh course I'll have that in there. It was a beautiful moment of mare's being there for each other. I can still remember the gentle and needy, but afraid look in their eyes..." Smiling at the memory;
"They made me want to wrap them up in my wings and never let them go. And? I haven't even come close to doing so, metaphorically speaking."
"Of course, I'll have to get their permission first. They might not be ready for their ponies to officially know of that kind of affiliation. Leaving it to unconfirmed rumor, at most."

"And how did they react to Sure's relationship with you?" Golden poked.

"Ah, very supportive actually. They have a soft spot for him too. It's just that other thing I mentioned that spoils it for them. They're glad I'm happy, and that the good stallion found a good mare."

'Hmm, saying stuff like that used to bother me. It's funny how time changes ponies?'

Levitating my headset over, I called up Page Planner:
"Page? Whats my afternoon schedule look like?"

My expression sagging, I thanked her and closed the call.
'Golden went and put Sure And my sisters into my mind, and I can't get away; This is going to be a long afternoon.'