• Published 27th Dec 2022
  • 816 Views, 18 Comments

The Eventual Daughter of a Non-Brony - BronyWriter



Comet's time in the orphanage

  • ...
2
 18
 816

Young

There are lots of ponies around me, bigger and small. Some are grownup ponies who are making sure that we're all okay. Some of the ponies around me have wings and some have horns, and some don't have anything like that at all! Nopony has wings like mine, though. I've looked.

I'm playing with other ponies who are small like me. My favorite are the blocks. Me and some of the other ponies who are small like me build them into a big tower and push them down over and over again! Miss Hoof makes sure that we don't hurt each other when we're playing. Sometimes the ponies who are a little bigger than me play too, but sometimes they read to us. I like that.

One of the ponies who is a little bigger than me, but not as big as Miss Hoof comes over to us with a book beside her sparkling like her horn, which is really cool. She's Shining Spark. She's nice. She's one of the older kids.

"Hey, guys, Miss Hoof says I should help you work on your ABCs. You wanna?"

I perk up. Yeah, that's the ABC book! I love that one. I happily follow her, and she sits down on a chair. I sit in front of her. I love this book.

"Okay, let's see," she says, turning the book so that I can look at the pictures. "'A' is for...?"

"Apple!" I shout excitedly, pointing at the apple on the page.

"Good. 'B' is for...?"

"Ball!"

"'C' is for...?"

"Uh..." I frown. This one is hard. I know the big white pony on the page with the cool mane, but her name is real hard. "Uh... Celestra!"

"It's 'Celestia'" she says, pointing at the word. "See? Celes...tia! Celestia! She's our princess."

"Yeah, Ciles...tria!"

Shining laughs a bit and shakes her head. "Yeah, close enough. Okay, 'D' is for..."

"So sorry to interrupt, but I need to talk to Comet for a second."

Comet? That's me! I turn around and see Miss Hoof. She's so nice! I run up to her and hug her leg. "Hello, Miss Hoof! I love you!"

Miss Hoof chuckles and hugs me back. "I love you too, Comet. Can you come with me? There are some ponies who want to talk to you."

I perk up again. "Okay!" I turn to Shining Spark. "Sorry. I halfta go talk to some ponies." I point at the book. "'D' is for dog!"

Shining Spark chuckles and stands up. "Yes it is."

"You're getting very good at your ABCs, Comet," Miss Hoof says, ruffling my mane. "Why, I wouldn't be surprised if you start reading here soon."

"Okay!" I say. That would be really fun!

As we're going out of the play room, I see one of the older ponies who isn't quite as old as Miss Hoof sitting in the corner. Her name is Rainstorm. She's a nice pony. She's drawing!

I bounce over to Rainstorm. Her wings are different like mine, but hers have feathers. "Hey, Rainstorm! What are you drawing?"

Rainstorm looks up at me. She looks tired. She takes the pencil out of her mouth and points at the picture. "Just the sky."

"Oh, like the sun and clouds and stuff?"

"Yeah, something like that."

"Cool." I sit next to her and look at the picture. "Do you want to color it with me?"

"Comet, let's leave Rainstorm to draw," Miss Hoof says. "You have some ponies to meet, remember?"

Oh, yeah, that's right. "Rainstorm, I'm gonna meet some ponies with Miss Hoof. I'm gonna be right back."

"I'll bet," Rainstorm says quiet enough that I almost can't hear her. She looks sad.

"Can we color your picture when I get back?" I ask. Coloring is fun!

"Sure. Whatever. Catch you later, Comet."

"Okay!" I hug Rainstorm's leg, but she doesn't hug me back. That's okay. She seems sad.

I go back to Miss Hoof. "Okay, I'm ready to meet the new ponies." I meet a lot of new ponies. Miss Hoof says they might want to be our new moms and dads. That's weird. We have Miss Hoof and the other ponies helping her.

I guess... I guess having a mom and dad would be pretty cool, though. A lot of the foals here get new moms and dads. I had a friend named Star Shine who liked to play blocks with me, but I couldn't find her one day, and Miss Hoof said that it was because some nice ponies wanted to be her new mom and dad. I was a little sad, but also glad.

"Miss Hoof?" I ask as we leave the play room. "Do these ponies want to be my mom and dad?"

"We'll see, Comet. They want to meet you and talk to you."

"Oh, good, because I want to meet them and talk to them, too." Meeting ponies is fun, even if they never want to be my mom and dad.

But that's okay. Meeting them is fun anyway.

Miss Hoof brings me to one of the rooms where I meet ponies and opens the door. Inside are two unicorns. Maybe Mom and Dad, maybe not. Miss Hoof and I walk in.

"Ah, you must be Comet," the stallion says. He's smiling, but he stops smiling a bit when he sees me. "I'm Spinning Cog, and this is my wife, Silver Gleam."

"Hi!" I say happily. "I'm Comet Screech!"

"It's nice to meet you," Miss Gleam says. She's not smiling very big either. "Miss Hoof told us that you just turned three, is that right?"

I nod at that. "Yeah, Me and another filly Diamond Dust have the same birthday, so we both had our party on the same day! We had chocolate."

"Sounds like a good day," Mister Cog says. "Miss Hoof says you're doing very well learning your numbers and letters."

"Uh-huh! I know all my letters, and I can count to twenty-six! I'm not good at writing yet, but I'm getting really good at flying!" I spread my wings and hop into the air for a few seconds. "See?"

"Yes, very good," Mister Cog says. He looks at Miss Hoof, who isn't smiling at all. Did I do something wrong? I hope not. I wouldn't want to make Miss Hoof unhappy.

"Hey Mister Cog," I say. "If you want to be my daddy, can I lie on your back? I'd like that."

He blinks and looks confused, then looks at Miss Silver. "Oh, uh... I... suppose so."

Yay! I hope he wants to be my daddy.

Mister Cog and Miss Silver and me talk for a little while more, but they say that they have to go. That's okay. I have to go, too. I want to color Rainstorm's picture!

Miss Hoof takes me back to the play room, but she asks me something as we go back.

"Er... Comet, is there any particular reason you wanted to lie on Mister Cog's back?"

I tilt my head and think, then shrug with my wings. "Dunno. It sounds nice."

"Hm."

When we get back to the play room, Rainstorm isn't there. Her picture isn't there either. That's okay. She looked sad, so she maybe didn't want to be around other ponies. There are still a lot of pictures to color, though.