• Published 21st Apr 2022
  • 1,442 Views, 73 Comments

Space Engineers: Starship Unknown - Stalin with Da Spoon



Captain Jack and his fellow engineers have landed in Equestria after a close encounter with an old enemy, crashing down to the planet to find themselves stranded, with no way of calling for help, but the captain and crew won't give up hope so easily.

  • ...
4
 73
 1,442

Prologue: Space, The Final Frontier

Star System Gaia, Victoria Sector C6.

The void of space was dead quiet, no sound to fill the endless expanse of the dark perpetual void surrounding a lone planet within this solar system. But then...

A lone vessel slowly drifted into view, its engines burning as the ship slowly came into the illumination of the light emanating from the system's sun, which was for some reason, orbiting the only planet in the system. The vessel bared the red and black color scheme of Redwood Industries, as steel wording on the side of the ship read 'Tigris'. As it slowly burned through the void of space, within the bridge of the ship, could be seen Rear-Admiral Jack Roberts, or simply referred to as Captain Jack, sitting in the center of the bridge, his crew around him, as Lieutenant Reed spoke up from his console, viewing a display of the star system.

"Admiral, we have entered star system Gaia of the Victoria sector." Captain Jack nodded in confirmation as he turned to his other officer sitting in the second chair in front of him.

"Lieutenant Higgs, report our status." The man nodded before taking a quick look at several screens in front of him.

"Sir, were already rigged for silent running on engines, and all systems are operational and standing by. Nothing on comms or sensors currently."

One of Jack's friends behind him then spoke up through his helmet radio, his voice speaking clearly thanks to the advanced headsets built into the crew's suits.

"Wait one admiral, we got a faint distress signal coming through... Roughly about 15 clicks out... No clear source, appears to be emanating from a large asteroid cluster. It might be the signal that RWI command detected." Jack nods in acknowledgement, as he speaks to commander Craz in the back.

"Commander Craz, how about any other ships in the area, getting any other signals?"

"Long range scans show no other ships in the surrounding area, and there isn't even any comms buoys around... We are alone out here."

"Alright, lets see if we can lend assistance." Castle then happily chimed in.

"I sense a potential salvage opportunity then." He happily said in his heavy scottish accent, as Reed spoke in an amused tone.

"Stealth already going out the window sir? Don't you remember what happened last time?"

"When has this crew ever been stealthy mister Reed? Besides, far as I'm concerned, we should be the only vessel for lightyears out here, maybe the only ship in this entire sector. Helm, set a course." The ship slowly began to turn to the right as the engines ignited, while Craz noticed something as he turned in his seat towards the window.

"Anybody else notice that the sun is... Ummmm, how do I say this... Orbiting that planet?" Castle looked to see it, and had a look of confusion on his face.

"How in hell is that even possible?" Reed of course tried to explain it.

"Most likely a small star wound up in the planets gravitational field and began to orbit it." Higgs then noticed another crucial detail.

"Then why are the sun and moon both standing still?"

"Wait, what?"

"Yeah, look, they aren't even moving! Well, either that, or they are just moving very slowly." The entire crew on the bridge looked to see both sun and moon completely unmoving. Jack was unsure how to react to say the least.

"Perhaps this is something we best leave to the RWI science department to understand. Captain Hawk will be delighted to hear about this." Everyone in the bridge nodded in agreement, as everyone proceeded to have small talk.

"So Mr Castle, how are the new targeting systems handling?" Reed spoke to his welsh compatriot.

"I don't know why, but for some reason the targeting messenger keeps talking about potatoes. Must be a bug."

"Maybe it has something to do with the pyramids. But anyways, it's good to have you and Finn back. That whole mess on Monus III with the green drone remnants was chaotic. Good thing we dealt with them before they could become a major problem."

"Yeah, tell me about. It's a bloody miracle we survived that shitstorm. Gotta admit, I love salvaging and running Dawnstar, but damn does it feel good to be back in the saddle. Heck, maybe I'll still get to salvage whatever ship is sending the distress signal."

"Hate to break up whatever you guys are talking about back there, but were here." Captain jack said as a cluster of large asteroids could be seen on approach, drifting aimlessly through the void as the ship weaved through them and avoided collision. "Alright, can you get a better signal now?"

"Affirmative, attempting to fully lock on... Huh..."

"What is it, Reed?" Captain Jack said standing up from his seat, Castle seizing the oppurtunity and taking the seat for himself.

"He he, mine." As Jack walked over to Reed, he then shared his worried look.

"Looks like a green drone signal but... All garbled and messy."

"I can't read it, like at all, there is simply no form of transmission signal in our database that matches it. Perhaps it's just a corrupted beacon from during the war?"

"Then where the hell is it's source? I don't see anything out here-" Suddenly, alarms began to blare as emergency lights flashed red and put everyone on edge as they quickly turned to their terminals.

"Captain, radar just lit up like a christmas tree!" Craz shouted, looking at the radar screen to see several red dots.

"Crap, Castle, gimme the seat back!" Jack yelled as Castle jumped from the seat and Jack sat down, quickly readying himself for battle as he grabbed the intercom of the ship and spoke into it. "All hands to battle stations! It's an ambush!" He shouted as everyone on deck quickly ran around, taking seats and engaging control of the defense systems, as the turrets on the outside of the ship activated and began scanning the void. From behind the asteroids emerged several rapidly moving fighter craft, lacking any insignia or paint on them as they boosted towards the Tigris.

A hail of bullets and heat seeking missiles flew through the void toward the squadron of unmarked ships rapidly approaching at a fast pace, quickly maneveuring and surrounding the Tigris as they fired rockets and autocannons at the ship. The shields of the Tigris were seen pulsing bright blue and blocking the various bullets and missiles, the shock of the explosiosn still slightly rocking the ship.

"Captain, shields are holding, but charge is running low!" Reed shouted in panic, before a lucky rocket managed to hit an enemy fighter in the wing and caused it to spin out of control and collide with an asteroid, as Craz shouted in victory.

"Scratch one! Wahoo!" Castle then yelled in pure welsh rage as he blew apart another fighter, watching it's wreckage directly crash into one of its squadmates and knock it off course.

"Eat that ya cunt!"

Before Castle could continue celebrating his victory, a loud boom rang out across the ship, as Higgs spoke in a panicked tone.

"Shields have been breached! Engine four has suffered a direct missile hit! Fires spreading on deck 2!" Captain Jack gritted his teeth in annoyance.

"Blast it! Reed, get together a fire suppression and repair crew, ASAP!"

"On it captain!" Reed said jumping from his chair and looking to a few of his fellow crewmates. "Craz, Owen, Venom, with me!" He said rushing off down the stairs below deck as his comrades followed closely behind, grabbing fire extinguishers as they descended down into the lower decks.

"Castle, whats the status on getting our shields back up?"

"Shield generator is heavily damaged sir, can't get it online when were being hit from all angles! At this rate, we're gonna have more bullets in our hull than there are in your average Rambo movie!"

"Damn it, you're right, we gotta go on the offensive! Higgs, divert all available power to weapons!"

"Understood captain! MAXIMUM POWER!" Higgs said as he tapped a few buttons on his console as power flowed to every gun turret as they began unloading rockets and bullets into the attacking fighters, as they were almost wiped out with the few remainin fighters scattering to avoid being destroying in clumps. "Suck on that, ya bastards!"

But his celebration was cut short, as another explosion rang out, and Craz came in over the radio.

"They blew open the hangar doors! Barely managed to seal it off from the rest of ship before the whole damn thing got depressurized!" A rocket flew right into the cockpit of a fighter, scoring a direct as the flaming wreckage drifted and impacted the front deck, breaking off a turret and leaving a sizable dent in the armor. "Admiral, engines two and three are critical!"

Most admirals and captains would be panicking right now, but not Captain Jack. He had seen his fair share of battles and close calls, and they had molded him into the perfect commanding officer. As he kept his composure, he looked out the window, the green and blue of the planet below catching his attention as he quickly turned to Higgs.

"Higgs, set course for that planet, we need to commence an emergency landing now or else we soon won't have a ship to land!"

"Understood admiral!" The ship slowly began to turn away while still shredding the enemy fighters coming its way. As it tore away from its enemy assailants, it began to enter the planet's atmosphere. "Sir, the gravity is pulling us down too fast, we can't land without digging this thing halfway into the ground!"

"Blast it! Engage emergency shielding!" Captain Jack quickly grabbed the radio on his seat and spoke through the ship speaker system while armored blast shields lowered over the windows of the bridge. "ALL HANDS BRACE FOR IMPACT! IT'S GONNA BE A ROUGH LANDING!"