• Published 19th Apr 2022
  • 1,049 Views, 8 Comments

It's Four AM, and All I Can Think of is You - Kodeake



After the end of her relationship, Twilight is left unable to sleep and goes for a walk to clear her head.

  • ...
2
 8
 1,049

Alternate Ending

Author's Note:

I'd like to make it clear that this is not the canon ending to this story. That's the main chapter. However, for my own mental health I felt I needed to write this alternate version. Is it noticeably different in tone, pacing, and quality from the main chapter? Absolutely. It's rushed and unpolished as all hell, but I know I'm not the only one who vastly prefers happy endings, so have some fuzzy feel goods. They're on the house.

Even though it’s four AM, all I can think of is you.

Your laugh, your smile, your voice. The way your eyes would have shone under the moonlight on a night like this, if only you were here with me.

But you aren’t, and I only have one pony to blame for that.

My brow furrows until I’m glaring at the tree. Our tree.

I want to sit under it again, reading with you by my side.

My hooves break out into a run beneath me, pounding against the cobblestones. The park passes by in a blur and I exit out the other side. Around a corner and down a street, farther and faster. My lungs start to burn but I keep pushing. I was never as athletic as you are, but that doesn’t matter right now. I just want to see your smile, hear your laugh, feel your voice in my ears.

I all but smash through the doors of the first hotel I spot. The night receptionist nearly falls out of his seat as he jerks awake.

“Huh?”

I skid to a stop in front of his desk, panting and gasping for breath. “Did Rainbow Dash get a room here?”

“I- uhm- n-no? I don’t- hey!”

I hear him shout after me but I’m already gone, out the door and down the street to the next hotel.

Then the next.

And the next.

A part of me starts to worry she flew back to Ponyville after our fight. I’m not sure if I have the energy left to teleport that far, but I’ll have to try.

The receptionist at the last hotel on the street is asleep when I stagger up to his desk. I ring the bell and clear my throat. “Is Rainbow Dash staying here?”

He jerks awake, blinking blearily at me. “Huh?”

“Rainbow Dash. Is she here?”

The receptionist yawns and stretches. “Ma’am, our privacy policy prevents me from releasing guest information to-”

I flare my wings and place my forehooves atop his desk, bearing down on him. “Is. She. Here?”
He blinks, and seems to wake up more as he realizes who I am. Nodding meekly, he gesturses to an elevator. “A few hours ago, room 412.”

“Thank you.”

I’m in the elevator before I can hear his response, tapping my hoof impatiently as I watch the floor counter rise painfully slowly. The elevator music droning on in the background as my actions catch up with me. I’ll regret threatening him later, I’m sure, but I don’t care right now. Right now, there’s only one thing I need, and she’s a stupidly stuborn pegasus with a rainbow mane.

Finally the doors slide open, and I step out into the hallway. Counting off the doors as I go, until I reach the one with 412 on the plaque.

Just like her, all those years ago, I don’t hesitate.

I knock.

It takes a few rounds, but there’s finally shuffling from inside the room.

The door opens, and Rainbow Dash looks at me blearily. Her eyes are read and puffy.

“Twi?” She croaks out, her voice horse. And I doubt it’s from sleep. “It’s, like, 4 in the moring. What the heck-”

“I can’t stop thinking about you,” I blurt out. The thought I’ve had over and over again, nagging me constantly since she flew out the window in a rage. “I’m sorry. I- I… I love you. I don’t want us to break up.”

Rainbow blinks at me, as though I’ve been speaking in some foreign language. “Twilight,” she says, slowly, and I wince at her using my proper name. “What are you talking about?”

“Huh?”

“Of course we’re not breaking up.” Rainbow sighs, leaning against the door. “Why would we break up? It was just a fight. I just needed some space.”

I stare at her dumbly for a few, long seconds.

“Oh.”

“What, you thought I was gonna dump you over one argument?” Rainbow asks, then bursts out laughing as I nod at her meekly.

I love her laugh.

“Twi, relax, I’m not gonna leave you over something like that.” She just smiles at me as the tension melts from my body.

Celestia, I love her smile.

“Well, you came all the way here, and I guess I’ve had enough space anyway. Come on,” she swings the door open all the way for me and motions me inside.

“Rainbow-”

She cuts me off with a kiss as I step up to her, breaking it to nuzzle my cheek. “I love you, egghead. It’ll take a lot more effort to get rid of me,” she whispers in my ear.

I love her voice so much.

I can’t hold back my tears anymore, and as they start to drip down my cheeks and reach out and wrap in her in a hug. “I missed you,” I sob into her chest.

“Yeah yeah, I missed you too, but it’s like 4 in the morning. Couldn’t this have waited?”

I shake my head into her shoulder. “It doesn’t matter if it’s noon, midnight, or four AM. I can only ever think of you.”

Comments ( 7 )

This is so good, I love it, keep up the good work.

Thank goodness for that alternative ending...
I swear, these two are so cute together it burns.

Always a great day when Kodeake posts.

Twidash forever!

Sad but sweet. Both chapters are well written enough that I can't help but try to fit them together in my head somehow.

I was NOT expecting that ending... Beautifully written.

That hit me in the chest like a freight train. Very well done.

*looks at author's note* :ajsleepy: I'm going to pretend I didn't see that because I'm too much of a pussy for sad endings.

Login or register to comment