• Published 29th Apr 2022
  • 1,691 Views, 179 Comments

Seeking - Fillyfoolish



Sunset Shimmer knows Equestrian religion is false. She has her doubts about human religions, too. As always, she turns to her friends for help. Unfortunately for Sunset, her six friends have six rather different ideas about what lies above.

  • ...
12
 179
 1,691

Tuesday

“You wanted to meet?” Rainbow Dash tilts her head upwards as a brief salutation, and I mirror. “Something about religion?” I nod. “No offence, but, uh, why?”

By now I’ve become comfortable with the question. “I’m on a spiritual journey, and I’m looking to understand my friends’ beliefs as I seek to form my own.”

She raises an eyebrow. “Sure, if you say so. You should talk to Fluttershy.”

“I did. We went to church together on Sunday.”

Rainbow shrugs, unfazed but unimpressed. “So what do you need me for?”

I hesitate. “Fluttershy did give me quite a bit to think about, but I’d like to hear about all of my friends’ religious beliefs before I commit to anything.”

“Oh.” Rainbow scratches her head. “Hate to break it to you, but I don’t do religion. There’s not much for me to say.”

“I’m sure that’s not true.” I hope my smile is convincing enough. “You don’t do religion… Are you an atheist?”

“Ugh, why does everyone think that?” She rolls her head around her neck.

“So you do believe in God?”

“Nope.”

My forced smile returns. “Doesn’t that make you atheist?”

Rainbow whistles. “Look, religion really isn’t my thing. It never was, and it probably never will be.”

I nod slightly, unconvinced. “Did you ever try religion?”

“Eh, Shy dragged me to church once or twice. It wasn’t my thing.”

I frown. “There are other religions’ than Fluttershy’s, you know.”

“So?” Rainbow shrugs. “Aren’t they all basically the same? Tell some stories about a giant man in the sky, sing some songs, don’t eat pork on Fridays?”

“That’s a rather reductionist Western view on religion.” I blink. “I take it that you don’t believe in God, then. And should probably do some reading about philosophy.”

She rolls her eyes. “Look, I don’t think there’s a God up there, but I’m not some egghead who spends time thinking that there isn’t one, you know?” She snickers. “Uh, no offence, egghead.”

“Hmm.” I pause, chewing on her pile of contradictions. “Maybe that would make you agnostic?”

“Uh, no, I’m not a gnaw stick. I just don’t think about God, period.” Rainbow creases her brow. “Except for right now, and that’s only because you keep asking.”

“Oh.” My façade smile slips. “What do you think about God right now?”

“Really, Sunset?”

I beat puppy dog eyes.

“Alright, fine. I’m thinking it’s all pretty dumb. If God is real and wanted to be believed in, why let so many religions say opposite things about him? And if he’s not real, or he doesn’t want to be believed in, why would anyone bother being religious? Seems like a big waste of time, and a stupid reason for people to fight each other over.”

“Oh!” I light up, having worked through some of the same objections myself. “Those are excellent questions. I’d be happy to discuss the philosophical side. I’m sure Twilight has some references we could check out together. If you’re looking for something more Biblical, Fluttershy could help you. And if in the end you just don’t believe, I’m sure Applejack should have some words of advice for you.”

Rainbow raises both of her eyebrows but seems amused. “For such a smart person, you can be pretty dense, Sunset. I don’t want help believing in God, or help not believing in God. I don’t have a problem with religion. Like, I get it. You want to believe in something. You like discovering all the answers by reading some dusty old books. That’s cool. It just isn’t for me, okay?”

“Hmm.” I mull over her words. Could a person really be satisfied without the answers? Without even asking the questions? Everyone else I’ve known, human or pony, theist or atheist, has believed something. Is Rainbow really so different?

My tongue presses against my cheek. “What do you think happens after you die?”

“Me? Die?” Rainbow cackles. “I’m pretty sure I have a resting heart rate of seven. I’ll be fine for a while.”

“You’re not immortal,” I chide. “Wait, are you immortal? Can humans do that?”

“You tell me, magic pony girl.” Rainbow snickers. “Obviously humans can be immortal. Case in point: yours truly.”

I hold my hands up. “Okay, okay, humour me. You get into an epic battle to save humanity, tackle tons of bad guys, slay a bunch of undead horrors, the works. You succeed, but at the cost of your own life. What happens then?”

“Duh, humanity goes gaga over my corpse for saving its ass.”

“What about you?”

“I don’t know.” Rainbow seems pensive. “Maybe, in the last second before I die, I remember all the cool things I did, and as the last bit of life leaves me, I fade out thinking, man! I killed it. And it killed me. So now we’re even, life and me.” She seems unsure. “I guess we go out in a tie, 1 to 1.”

I smile. “Do you get a rematch?”

Rainbow shrugs. “Don’t know, don’t care.”

“Why not?”

Rainbow’s gaze meets mine, and for the first time today, she seems serious. “Right now, I’m fighting in this match. There’s only so much time before the clock runs out. Maybe there’s another match after. But maybe not, so I gotta make this one a win. I could spend time worrying what will happen after or wondering who’s refereeing. That’s time I’d rather spend scoring goals.” She throws her hands up in defence. “If eggheads like you and Twilight want to spend your time reading the rulebook, knock yourselves out, but I’ll be a hundred points ahead by the time you realize you won’t win if you never play.”

“Right.” I nod slowly. “Thank you, Rainbow Dash. For someone who claims not to care about religion, you seem to care where it counts.”

Rainbow frowns. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“You care about living a good life, independent of belief in afterlife. That’s commendable,” I say, “and something many religious people could stand to learn. Heaven shouldn’t be the reason people do good.”

Rainbow blinks. “I didn’t say anything about doing good. Honestly, I don’t think about good and bad much. I mean, I try to be nice and loyal and whatever, but I won’t pretend I’m some goodie two-shoes like Fluttershy.”

“No?” I cock my head. “Why are you so focused on ‘winning’ then?”

“Duh, because I’m a terrible loser. Total lack of practice.” She laughs. “Look, when the timer’s running, and the ball’s in my court, of course I’m gonna dribble it and shoot a hoop.”

“But why?”

“Why not?”

I chuckle. “Because you can?”

She flashes two thumbs-up at me. “Heck yeah, because I can!”

I smirk. “I’m starting to see the wisdom in your approach. Thank you, again.”

“Any time for a friend. You good now?”

“Yeah, I think so. If I want to approach religion scientifically, I do have to consider the null hypothesis.” I blow out a puff of air. “You’ve more than provided that. Thanks.”

She raises an eyebrow at me but seems to knows better than to ask a clarifying question.

“I’m sorry, I should probably let you go back to your game.” I wink. “If I stay too long, I might turn you into an ‘egghead’.”

“Hah, I’d like to see you try.” Rainbow crosses her arms.

“Hmm.” I hold my chin in my hand. “You should observe the parallels between the traditional domain of religion to your analogies. Each seeks to answer fundamental questions: the meaning of life, righteousness, death, and so on. The essential difference, however, is that–”

She puts her hand over my mouth, muffling me as she rolls her eyes. “I was joking.”

I stop trying to mumble. Satisfied, she removes her hand, allowing me to say, “Uh-huh. Sure. Totally. Ahem.”

“Yep.” She points finger guns at me. “Catch you later?”

I point back and click my tongue goodbye.