• Published 29th Apr 2022
  • 1,691 Views, 179 Comments

Seeking - Fillyfoolish



Sunset Shimmer knows Equestrian religion is false. She has her doubts about human religions, too. As always, she turns to her friends for help. Unfortunately for Sunset, her six friends have six rather different ideas about what lies above.

  • ...
12
 179
 1,691

Sunday

“I’m so glad you came, Sunset.”

Wearing a plain dress, casual by business standards but more formal than her day-to-day attire, Fluttershy waves from the curb as I park my motorcycle outside Canterlot Presbyterian Church. I approach her, and she outstretches her arms to hug me. I return the affection with a warm smile. “I wouldn’t miss it.”

She beams, and in her light, it is difficult to admit I’m here as a student and a skeptic, not a believer. She breaks off the hug and tells me, “We have a little while before the service starts.”

That’s odd. I grab my phone from my pocket and click it on. 9:45. “But I’m on time.” As proof, I turn my phone to let her see the lock screen.

She smiles gently. “I wanted to make sure we would have time to chat.”

“Oh,” I say, powering off my phone for the morning and putting it away. “Alright. What about?”

“I guess that’s up to you.” Fluttershy looks away submissively. “But I’d love to know what led you here.”

I pause. Twilight understood my journey from the inception, and Rarity didn’t need to ask so bluntly. The words don’t come easily.

“I guess I’m searching,” I say.

Fluttershy nods in silence.

“Searching for answers. I’m an interdimensional immigrant, right? I’ve spent my life running. Running towards achievement, running away from punishment. I don’t know what the point is anymore.”

Fluttershy smiles slightly. “Do you want my help finding those answers?”

“I think so.” Tired of standing, I sit down on the curb, and Fluttershy follows suit beside me. “I’ve learned that friendship is usually the answer, so I’m hoping you girls can help me find my way.”

“I hope so, too.”

I furl my brow. “How about you? Why do you go to church?”

“I’m a Christian,” she laughs.

“Okay, okay.” I raise my hands in front of my chest. “Why are you a Christian? I guess your family took you to church as a kid?”

Her smile wavers. “No, my family isn’t really religious. I became a Christian in high school, before we were friends. Like you, I was searching for answers. Volunteering at the shelter, I’ve seen so many helpless little animals pass away. Some from age, some from illness, some from injury. I agonized over each one. It became too much for me.”

Fluttershy paused, spacing off.

“Then I met my friend Tree Hugger, who showed me the truth.”

“The truth?”

“The truth about God’s love, God’s mercy, and God’s justice. She introduced me to the Word of God: the Bible. The Gospel is for humans, not other animals, but I learned that death is nothing to resent or fear. That made my work at the animal shelter easier,” she explains. “Oh, and I upped my volunteer hours. The Bible teaches charity, after all.”

I beam. “That’s great.”

She nods, evidently proud of herself. “Ever since I accepted God’s grace, I’ve dedicated my life to Jesus. I’m lucky. Not everyone has that privilege.”

I tilt my head but don’t say anything.

“I am eternally grateful that God brought Tree Hugger into my life,” she says, then looks away. “I am grateful He brought you into my life, too.”

“Aww, that’s so sweet.” I hope I don’t sound saccharine or patronizing. “So, what about your family?”

Fluttershy hesitates. “We did have a Christmas tree growing up. Santa always came for me. He sometimes even came for my brother.” We both snicker at that. “But we didn’t celebrate Christmas.”

I tilt my head. “Family, gifts, and a tree. That sounds like a traditional Hearth’s Warming Eve to me. And I thought Christmas was just Hearth’s Warming Eve for humans.”

She giggles. “It is traditional, and maybe that’s all there is to Hearth’s Warming Eve. But at its heart, Christmas isn’t about the gifts or the tree.”

I recall how Twilight and Rarity relate to religion. “It’s about the family.”

She nods with a small shrug. “The family… and the birth of Jesus Christ.” She gasps and covers her mouth. “I didn’t even think, with you coming from Equestria… Do you know who Jesus is?”

It would be hard not to, living in this world. Passing human history classes. Attending church with Rarity. “He’s the founder of Christianity, right? And… also the Christian God, somehow?”

“Sort of.” Fluttershy shakes her head, but instead of appearing judgemental, she seems pleased to have the opportunity to teach me something. “Do you want to learn about Jesus?”

I hesitate, then nod. “I think so. I mean, it’s why I’m here. Why are you asking?”

“I’ve learned some people don’t like to talk about God.” She seems small, distant. “It doesn’t seem kind to force them.”

“Ah.” I chuckle and give her a thumbs-up. “Do your worst.”

She smiles with her eyes but seems uneasy as she explains, “Thousands of years ago, the Holy Spirit performed a miracle, causing the Virgin Mary to conceive. Mary gave birth in Bethlehem to Jesus Christ, the Son of God. On Christmas, we celebrate His birth.”

I briefly wonder if anyone really believed Mary was a virgin after she gave birth. I bite my tongue and just comment, “That doesn’t sound like Hearth’s Warming Eve at all.”

She chuckles and continues. “As an adult, Jesus travelled, providing ministry to the people around Him. He helped people, like miraculously curing their illnesses. He also gave advice on how they should live their lives, like in His Sermon on the Mount. He gained many followers during his ministry.”

“Magical guy curing disease? Without Equestrian magic? Yeah, it does sound like he would become pretty popular.”

She shakes her head. “Unfortunately, He was not popular with the Jewish and Roman authorities. He was sentenced to death and executed by hanging on a Cross. He knew this would happen, but He also knew how important His death would be, so He selflessly allowed it to come. Jesus died on the Cross side-by-side with two thieves. A soldier even stuck a spear in Him, just to check that He really was dead.”

“Oh my.” My jaw drops a bit. It’s rare to hear Fluttershy talk so calmly about violence.

But then she smiles. “Three days later, Jesus was resurrected from the dead. It turns out you can’t kill God,” she adds to my amusement. “After His resurrection, Jesus told the first Christians to tell everyone about the miracle. To make everyone in the world a Christian, and to make everyone behave righteously, the way Jesus Christ told us.”

I recall learning about the Crusades, how far human Christians have gone to fulfill that goal. How much blood has been spilled in the name of conversion.

“So that’s why Christians proselytize?” I wink. “Like you’re doing now?”

“Um, that is one reason,” she agrees, somewhat uncomfortably. “But also because we care about you, and we want you to be saved.”

I tilt my head. “Saved from what?”

“Your sins.” Fluttershy’s face grows rigid, serious. She looks me straight on. “Sunset. You of all people know how much evil humans do… and how important forgiveness is.”

My memories flicker through my mind, memories from my days of betraying Equestria and terrorizing defenceless high school students. “Yes. I know what I’ve done.”

“Not just you,” Fluttershy adds, “and not just in the past. Do you think that you’re a perfect person now?”

“No.” I droop my head in defeat. “I’m not. I know that I still suck. You don’t have to rub it in. But I’m trying, Fluttershy. Look at how much I’ve improved as a person since Princess Twilight set me straight. Yeah, I still lose my temper sometimes, and I guess I can still be pretty selfish. But I’m trying. Isn’t that enough?”

She shakes her head. “No, unfortunately it’s not. Unless you’re perfect, you’re a sinner. Just like me, and just like everyone else. And without forgiveness, we are punished for our sins.”

“No,” I respond indignantly. “No way. Look, if I’m going to be punished for the things I’ve done… Yeah, fine, I can see it. I deserve it. But you? You’re the kindest person I know. What kind of evil God would punish you?”

“Right, that’s the bad news.” She nods gravely. “Maybe you want to hear the good news?”

“Humour me.”

“Jesus Christ died to save you from your sins. His forgiveness and His grace are absolute, if you accept them.”

“Really?” My eyebrow shoots up. “Jesus died just for me?”

“You,” she laughs, “and the rest of humanity.”

“Ah, that does make more sense.” I smile. “So how do I get forgiveness? I did ask a lot of people to forgive me after the Fall Formal. Didn’t that count?”

“Maybe it did count for what you did at the Fall Formal, but nothing since then. But mostly, it’s God’s forgiveness you need.”

“Not Jesus’s?”

“Jesus is God.”

I frown. “Now I’m confused. I thought you said he was the son of God. How can God be his own son? Unless there are multiple gods?”

“There’s only one God.” She smiles. “It is a little tricky. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all God. Imagine you’re a cartoon character, living in a flat world, and there’s a cube in front of you. The cube is spun to show three different sides. What do you think?”

“I guess I would think there are three different squares. Ridiculous example, though. I’m not a cartoon character.”

“Well, yes. Point is, it’s all the same cube. Like God.”

“God is a cube?” I laugh.

She laughs with me. “It’s just a metaphor.”

I consider what Fluttershy is telling me, about the life of Jesus, and his apparent ability to save me. I don’t know if she’s right about God, but she is right about something:

I need forgiveness.

“Do you really think that God would forgive me? After everything I’ve done?”

“Sunset.” She rests her hand on my shoulder. “I’m certain He will.”

I remember something I learned about Christianity. Something I learned the hard way from a rude Crystal Prep student who bumped into Twilight when we were walking downtown together.

I grimace at the memory. “Someone said God hates ho– God hates people being gay.” I bite my lip, look around the church, and lower my voice. “I’m bi, Fluttershy.”

She shakes her head. “That’s not a problem. Everyone can be saved. Even the good thief next to Jesus on the cross went to Heaven, because he had faith.”

“But why?” I compress my eyes. “Why would God save a thief? Or me, for the matter?”

“Nothing we do could make us worthy of salvation, but God saves us out of love.” Fluttershy smiles. “Jesus is the Son of God, but we are all God’s children. God loves all of His children, you included.”

I give a cheeky grin. “Not just all humans? Need I remind you I’m a pony?”

“I’m sure God loves everyone in Equestria, too,” she says, “I admit that learning about Equestria and experiencing magic first hand have tested my faith. But God’s power is absolute. If there is Equestrian magic, it’s because God created magic. I like to think our geodes are gifts from God, to serve some grander purpose for Him someday.” She smiles at the thought. “Our friendship has taught me that just because everything in the Bible is true, not all of it can be understood literally.”

I bite my lip. “I don’t mean to be rude, but I’ve never heard of a pony Jesus. Does that mean that nobody in Equestria is saved?”

“I don’t know,” she frowns. “Even before Jesus was born on Earth, righteous humans were saved by faith in God, so maybe that’s part of it. Maybe pony Jesus is still coming. No matter what, I’m sure God has a plan for Equestria. Just like He has a plan for you.”

It’s a comforting thought. It almost seems too easy.

Nothing in my life has ever been easy.

I doubt God plans to change that for me just yet.

“What about our friends?” I ask. “If you’re right… won’t they be punished for not believing?” I suck in a breath. “What about Twilight?”

“I don’t know, Sunset.” Fluttershy turns downcast. “I don’t know.”

“You don’t know?” I do my best to suppress my anger. She doesn’t seem to notice.

She does hesitate. “Each of us is on our own path. Only God knows what lies ahead for each of us. I pray that He will reveal Himself to each of our friends in due time, and that they will accept His grace.”

“Otherwise…?”

She looks at me, frowns, and shakes her head. She doesn’t say anything, and she doesn’t need to.

“Right.” I sigh.

“It’s not my place to tell them what to do, just like it’s not my place to tell you what to do. You have to find your own way in the world.” She smiles slightly. “But you did ask to come to church with me, and I’m so happy you did. I think that means God has answered one of my prayers.”

I turn my head, oddly touched. “You prayed for me?”

“Of course. I pray for all of our friends,” she replies. “Our enemies, too. Sometimes I pray for strangers. Everyone deserves someone to pray for them.”

I’m not sure I follow, but I say, “That’s kind of you.”

As our conversation winds down, there is a noticeable influx of churchgoers arriving and entering the building. Fluttershy and I stand up. “The service will start in a few minutes,” she tells me.

“Alright,” I reply. “Hey, Fluttershy?”

“Yes, Sunset?”

“Thank you.”

We hug.

“Any time, Sunset. Any time.”